Descending
Limit Results:

4 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Steamworks Versus DRM
Mar 24, 2009, 13:37
Re: Steamworks Versus DRM Mar 24, 2009, 13:37
Mar 24, 2009, 13:37

Open console and type "openserverbrowser". It's the same browser used in all other Source engine games, they just hid it for some reason.

Yes, it is in L4D, but is it an integral part of
the robust lobby system shipped and tested in Left 4 Dead
or merely a leftover from source/HL2/something? I'm guessing the latter. In any case, the fact that you can access it in L4D is no guarantee that you can access it any future game using Steamworks.

Re: No subject
Jun 23, 2008, 17:21
Re: No subject Jun 23, 2008, 17:21
Jun 23, 2008, 17:21

I've been wanting to get my game Democracy 2 or maybe Kudos:Rock legend on sale through stardock for a while, I already have them with sites like gamersgate.
I like the way stardock make and sell games, so I'm keen to get my games selling alongside great games like GalCiv 2.

Borderline outrageous that Stardock hasn't nabbed your games if you've offered them. I remember I was suprised how much I enjoyed Starship Tycoon. I'll have to check Rock Legends out, looks interesting. I used to love this game called A Rockstar Ate My Hamster when I was a kid.

Jun 22, 2008, 04:14
Re: No subject Jun 22, 2008, 04:14
Jun 22, 2008, 04:14

Stupid people will always release stupid things.

No no, my point was that there will always be people who by 'stupid things'. Thus even stupid ideas can survive just by being lucky.

Sponge, you seem to think this is somehow bad for the general gaming public. Why would it be?

There are a couple of reasons why I think this is a good thing. First of all, free mods won't go anywhere. As I understand it, many, if not most games and editors have EULAs that prohibit profiting and/or charging money for user created content. This is unlikely to change.

Thus most of the time charging for mods will still require some publisher/developer intervention. That most likely will ensure some level of quality. And there are a lot of people (at the very least me) who are willing to pay for just that. Someone to tell them that these new racing tracks for this racing game or these new adventure modules for these crpgs are worth playing.

Also, I just think it would be fair to compensate some of these people for their hard work. Lazarus (the Dungeon Siege - Ultima V total conversion) springs to mind.

Mind you, there's still no word on whether they will actually offer this option to anyone. Still, considering all the talk about microsubscriptions and -transaction, I do think it's fairly likely Stardock will try.

Jun 21, 2008, 14:10
Re: No subject Jun 21, 2008, 14:10
Jun 21, 2008, 14:10

I think it's a very welcome opportunity for many mods, the option to charge for their work.

I see nothing wrong with it, although money probably will make the politics of many a modteam even more... lively.

Besides, any complaints about paying for some content can be rendered meaningless with two words: Horse Armor.

4 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older