Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Derek French

Real Name Derek French   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname CrushBug
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Producer, Live Team
BioWare
Homepage http://www.bioware.com/
Signed On May 27, 2000, 19:09
Total Comments 218 (Novice)
User ID 5028

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access
26. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 14, 2012, 20:50  CrushBug 

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Feb 14, 2012, 14:38:
The crash from ME2 where draging and dropping new abilities on the quickselect bar hasn't been fixed.
The fix went into the main game, but did not make it into the Demo. Sorry about that.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Patch
1. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Patch Nov 25, 2011, 17:54  CrushBug 

...and replaces the game's EA Download Manager authentication system for the Ultimate Edition with the system used by the Origin service.

Sorry, that is not quite right. The 1.05 patch installer will fix a bug with the EA Download Manager delivered version of the game. This would only occur if you had purchased the game from the EA store before the Origin service was launched. We have had this patch in Beta for some time and customers have used the earlier versions to resolve this problem. This problem no longer occurs if you buy the game through the Origin store.

There have been no changes to the game's authentication system. The good news is that we have fixed a number of DLC authentication issues in the update.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > SecuROM in Dragon Age II?
27. Re: SecuROM in Dragon Age II? Mar 11, 2011, 18:58  CrushBug 

Its still a running process

There is no running process once it unwraps and self-destructs.

its still in your registry

An inert registry entry that does nothing.

its still on your HD

In a temp folder that is never referenced again. This part is sloppy and should be cleaned up, though. We will see about doing that in a patch.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > SecuROM in Dragon Age II?
20. Re: SecuROM in Dragon Age II? Mar 11, 2011, 18:07  CrushBug 

Sorry, but there is some confusion on this. We use Sony Release Control which shares some functionality with other Sony products (SecuROM), but we do not use SecuROM for the DRM. Once the Sony Release Control check is passed, Release Control self-destructs, removing the Release Control wrapper and it is never used again. Game updates will not use Release Control because obviously the release date is passed. Additionally, installing the game and then any future game patch will also remove the Sony Release Control check and it will never run on your computer.  
Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2011, 23:59  CrushBug 

BG2 - wow, I actually remember working on the config program and that kind of messaging. Not the actual coding, mind you, but the options and messaging and such.  
Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled
33. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 8, 2010, 13:32  CrushBug 

Hey guys, sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

Yes it was tested before uploading, yes it was verified on the server, yes it was downloaded and binarily compared before pushed live. And then everything went wrong. We had no indication that there was anything wrong with the download that everyone else was getting since we were all getting from the same CDN.

So, from there, it took quite a while to pull and purge the download package and then try and re-verify and propagate it again and then re-test everything. A 1.6 Gig package makes everything take longer.

Again, sorry for the hassle.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled
3. Re: PC Mass Effect DLC Pulled Sep 7, 2010, 20:43  CrushBug 

Yeah, we are sorry about the hassle on this one. The source file we have is fine, but the one up on the CDN (Content Distribution Network) is all zeros. Because the file is so large (1.6 Gig) it is very slow to re-test and re-propagate the file through all the systems.  
Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > April Fooling 2010, Part 2
8. Re: April Fooling 2010, Part 2 Apr 1, 2010, 19:14  CrushBug 

Sorry guys, but the item on greywardens.com did not come from BioWare or EA. We had nothing to do with it.  
Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Patch
18. Re: Mass Effect 2 Patch Feb 22, 2010, 19:48  CrushBug 

He was pretty cool about it, considering the uninstall also removed his saved games without prompting him.
It absolutely prompted him. It would have also prompted him asking if he wanted to uninstall Mass Effect, with no mention of Mass Effect 2. That prompt exists within the uninstaller as we are using the same installer/uninstaller system for Jade, ME1, DA and ME2. It is tragic that it happened, but there were two gates that he would have had to go through before the game and the saves were removed and none of the information presented to him was incorrect. It is just too bad that we never thought of testing uninstalling ME2 with ME1 installed. It just wasn't something we thought of.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Patch
12. Re: Mass Effect 2 Patch Feb 22, 2010, 18:35  CrushBug 

Fixed an issue where uninstalling the game under Windows Vista or Windows 7 might uninstall Mass Effect 1.

That is actually a bug that Microsoft introduced in Vista and 7. We keep our uninstallers in a common location and if you don't encase the full path to the Uninstaller in double-quotes, Windows will just pick another random executable from that directory and run it, instead of the executable the you explicitly entered. It is pretty crazy when you tell Windows to run 'Uninstall Mass Effect 2.exe' and Windows decides to run 'Uninstall Mass Effect.exe'

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Return to Ostagar Delays Explained
17. Re: Return to Ostagar Delays Explained Jan 20, 2010, 22:31  CrushBug 

Rob is certainly right about that. And regardless of the EA opinion, this is BioWare's decision to hold onto Ostagar right now. We are currently checking both the PC and 360 versions again right now. Once both have made there way through their respective processes they will be released.

Which one will be ready first? I don't know, since both are still in-progress. Our cutoff for anything is Thursday at Noon. If it is not ready by then, then it isn't going out that week and it will be held onto until the following Monday.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > WGA Video Game Nominees
2. Re: WGA Video Game Nominees Jan 15, 2010, 04:17  CrushBug 

I believe that to qualify for the WGA, the writer on the game has to actually belong to the WGA. That is probably why the list is so short.  
Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > NWN Premium Modules Yoinked
6. Re: NWN2 Premium Modules Yoinked Nov 8, 2009, 17:30  CrushBug 

We have never sold NWN2 premium modules on the BioWare Store.
The NWN premium modules weren't all that great anyway. Many of the freely available user-made campaigns at NWN Vault were superior, and they are all free.
Fair enough, but that was the point, to give people choices. Thankfully, many people liked the modules and their sales funded the continued NWN patches for another couple of years, beyond what we had originally planned. It certainly worked out well for BioWare and for the community since we released the content from the Premium Modules in subsequent patches.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > PC Dragon Age Has Top-Down Camera
4. Re: PC Dragon Age Has Top-Down Camera Oct 16, 2009, 19:54  CrushBug 

What Dots said.  
Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Dragon Age Pre-Purchase [Updated]
22. Re: Dragon Age Pre-Purchase Oct 16, 2009, 12:12  CrushBug 

So I've not seen any mention what DRM the digital editions will use...
For the most part, the digital versions will use whatever the digital companies use. For example, the Steam version uses Steam for its DRM. Off hand, I do not know what the other companies will use.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Dragon Age Character Creator & Social Network Launch
10. Re: Dragon Age Character Creator & Social Network Launch Oct 13, 2009, 17:29  CrushBug 

Yeah, deleting is fine too. Just wanted to drop this hint as it will work in the full game as well.  
Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Dragon Age Character Creator & Social Network Launch
7. Re: Dragon Age Character Creator & Social Network Launch Oct 13, 2009, 17:08  CrushBug 

Free gift for you all.

First viewing of intro movies with the ESRB and such being unskippable is a legal/ESRB requirement. After that, hit Esc to your heart's content. Even better, go to the INI file in your My Docs and put in:

file: My Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\Settings\DAOCharacterCreator.ini
section: [Movies]
key: DisableIntroMovies=1

And you are good to go.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

News Comments > Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans
111. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 14:29  CrushBug 

Go check out Brooks' Law in Wikipedia (it's under Brooks's Law). It states that a project that is already late will become more late as people are added to it. It ties in with his book "The Mythical Man-Month", and has been around for 35 years. Look up the book title too. It's got some interesting ideas on project management.

By setting up a separate team which does not interface directly with the project, and only uses output finalized by the main project, you can create further content without interrupting the work stream and introducing gamestopping bugs into the core game.
QFMFT.
Wow. That Game Informer review that CrushBug linked to was pretty crappy. I read previews that had at least five times as much info about the game. Can't believe their review was just a one-page quickie thing.
That is because it is a summary of their magazine review which is full and complete. With pictures, even!
While this may or may not be the case for your game...there have been many examples of paid DLC, that once purchased was merely unlocked and was just on the CD/DVD/Blu-Ray and no download was required other than an unlock key.
Correct and this is not the case with Dragon Age as you will have to download the content, since we are still working on some of it.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

77. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 8, 2009, 02:50  CrushBug 

For a few days I have visited any site that has digital download to purchase KOTOR 2. Could you tell me why this game isn't available, and if there are any plans to release KOTOR 2 for digital download purchasing?
Sorry, but BioWare has no involvement with KotOR 2. The only ones who can answer this question are either Obsidian or Lucasarts.

For all the talk of this being a fresh and mature new setting, a lot of things in the trailers feel like a generic rip-off of LOTR.
I can say that there has yet to be a fantasy novel/movie/game that we haven't been accused of ripping off. You are so sure it's LotR, while others are adamant that it is a Song of Ice and Fire, while other are unswerving in their believe of it coming from RL Salvatore and others think it is all from The Witcher.

I suggest you play it and judge for yourself.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

48. Re: Dragon Age: Origins Day One DLC Plans Oct 7, 2009, 23:20  CrushBug 

The game was originally scheduled to launch eight months ago. You get bought by EA, and suddenly it's delayed (and delayed) again, and now gets a console launch too.
If you have had any experience with a BioWare game launch I can firmly state that all delays and target platforms rest solely at the discretion of BioWare. We chose to delay the game. We chose the platforms we want it to be on. EA acquired BioWare and Pandemic about 2 years ago and they have been supportive about our decisions, not the cause of them. We are doing exactly what we want to do on this project.

Your devs have been saying that people can create whole adventures with the toolset in as little as a week, but a keep took more than 8 months to build?
I would love to hear the context of that quote. Can we throw together a rough adventure (FedEx/KillBoss) with no VO, no music, no new content, minimal dialog and mostly combat in a week? Sure. That is not what the DLC is and your 8 months is speculation.

You can check this concept out yourself by trying out any of the free content from NWVault for NWN. Compare the quality of the content that took a week to create against some of content that took a long time to create. Good things take time and all that other 80/20 stuff.

Derek French
Technical Producer
BioWare

218 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo