Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wallshadows
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 29, 2008, 20:53
Total Comments 3426 (Veteran)
User ID 50040

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > WoW Increasing Draw Distances
5. Re: WoW Increasing Draw Distances Jun 5, 2016, 14:36 Wallshadows

This is one of the small things which I was very pleased to see added in to the game especially considering how amazing the zones look. Even if this is the worst expansion to date, you gotta give credit where credit is due and they really went the extra mile to provide some of the best looking zones in the game as well as their always phenomenal music team.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Path of Exile Patched
1. Re: Path of Exile Patched Jun 4, 2016, 11:32 Wallshadows

Playing my balls off with Frostbolt.  

News Comments > The Sims 4 Expands Gender Options
3. Re: The Sims 4 Expands Gender Options Jun 2, 2016, 22:20 Wallshadows

What about those who identify as Fridgekin?  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 2, 2016, 12:07 Wallshadows

This game looks interesting as far as Steam Greenlight is concerned. I might vote for it.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 2, 2016, 12:05 Wallshadows

I wonder if all these stupid movie adaptations that are in the works would be a thing if The Lego Movie wasn't awesome?  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jun 2, 2016, 11:57 Wallshadows

I like Jake Gyllenhaal and The Division shouldn't be that hard to adapt to film. It's just another somewhat generic post-apocalypse setting unless they try to retard it up like Paul W.S. Anderson does with... well... everything except Event Horizon.

Throw a bunch of money at Alex Garland to write the script and screenplay and you're halfway to a good movie.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 2, 2016, 11:46 Wallshadows

Now that the Prenda Law saga has finished, bring on Theranos!  

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 1, 2016, 20:43 Wallshadows

This also makes me very interested in their processor division. If AMD isn't completely bullshitting with their Zen marketing and can do the same thing with a mainstream processor that can capture even Haswell levels of performance for half the price of a 6600k and maintain cheaper motherboards for AM4 then I would be one happy fella come the fall.  

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 1, 2016, 15:27 Wallshadows

Slick wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 15:16:

Total War: Warhammer has a DX12 patching coming out soo, and guess what? it will use async compute.

I'm curious about this. Is it the same kind of patching used for Hitman and Tomb Raider or entirely different? I ask because it seems as though the DX12 patches for those two games seem to have introduced entirely new issues which aren't in favor of performance gains but that may just be chalked up to doing a half-assed job.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 1, 2016, 14:39 Wallshadows

Ashes of the Singularity is literally the only game built for DX12 which is why AMD used it for previewing the product since the ball has been in their court as far as DX12 performance is concerned whereas it seems nVidia is still floundering about.

But dat chart doe. The chart is so empty that my ninth grade science teacher would have failed me for the lack of information. This is a 1080 at 1440p on Crazy settings and is pulling almost the same figures as those shown in the chart so perhaps this is the settings they're using as well? What about CX scaling? Is it 100% in DX12 or still ~50% on a good day?

Also:

AMD has confirmed with us that the game is indeed running at the same visual settings in the demo. The variations in visuals seem to be due to the procedural-generated nature of Ashes of the Singularity.

But I am really more interested in DX11 results since that's what 99.999% of the games I play and likely will be playing for a while will use. If it still sits around 390/970 performance then by all means, take my money.

This comment was edited on Jun 1, 2016, 15:02.

News Comments > Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed
17. Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 1, 2016, 12:58 Wallshadows

Yifes wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 11:17:

Well, that is why they're splitting PVP and PVE balancing in Legion.

It's definitely a HUGE step in the right direction and one which should have been introduced back in TBC when they released Arena but I'm still very skeptical that they'll bring all specs to 5 - 10% from top to bottom with those extra layers of balance.

I really want them to prove me wrong because it's frustrating.

News Comments > Kerbal Space Program Lead Developer Leaves
4. Re: Kerbal Space Program Lead Developer Leaves Jun 1, 2016, 10:20 Wallshadows

MindStalker3 wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 09:50:
Wallshadows wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 08:50:
Doesn't the company behind KSP practically use slave labor? If so, guy should be throwing a very small party.

A bit of an exaggeration. They pay more than what a marketing company is Mexico would pay. They don't pay what a software developer would pay given the profit they are making. They also have a lot of volunteer help from the community.

That sounds a lot more reasonable and a lot less dire. He can throw a medium party.

5. Re: Competitive Overwatch Delayed; Balance Changes Discussed Jun 1, 2016, 10:17 Wallshadows

descender wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 09:11:

Really? I think people severely underestimate how difficult "balancing" really is... they had trouble balancing WoW PvP because it isn't designed to be PvP from the ground up.

For basically every other game they've designed they use an intricate rock/paper/scissors style balance that works extremely well.

The balance in PvP is really bad where only a handful of comps can compete above 2k rating but I'd dare say that PvE is even worse where there are such monstrous disparities from the top and the bottom. As an example, In HFC you're a Rogue and you play anything but Subtlety you're literally doing it wrong. We're not talking 5 - 10% difference between specs, we're talking nearly 100% better than Assassination and nearly 60% better than Combat. If you go MM Hunter which is the top Hunter spec you're smack in the middle and behind a Sub Rogue by about 30%.

Unfortunately, this is how raids tend to unfold for as long as I can remember. You have top-tier specs which you can stack, mid-tier specs which can pull themselves up because of their utility, and then you have garbage tier specs which are more of a liability than a benefit. If I were on even Heroic progression and our Mage was playing Frost rather than Arcane or Fire, that's a huge problem for the group since the game has moved far and away from "bring the player, not the class" thanks to their terrible balance and encounter designs.

Now they're introducing two additional layers of balance with Artifacts and Legendary items which populate trash mobs in the open world that can have varying degrees of performance gains. Oh boy, I can't wait until my spec goes from awesome to garbage in the next tier because of balance and design and I have to regrind the favorable spec assuming I'm not one of several classes that only has one DPS spec.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 1, 2016, 08:55 Wallshadows

AMD is going to cut the legs out from under nVidia with their mainstream solutions if their entire Polaris lineup can deliver great performance at such a low cost and power footprint. If anything, nVidia will have to respond to this by either introducing price cuts or really be aggressive with their 1060 slated for the fall.

$200 for 970/390 performance and better DX12 for potential future titles at 150 watts? Sign me the fuck up.

News Comments > Kerbal Space Program Lead Developer Leaves
1. Re: Kerbal Space Program Lead Developer Leaves Jun 1, 2016, 08:50 Wallshadows

Doesn't the company behind KSP practically use slave labor? If so, guy should be throwing a very small party.  

1. No subject Jun 1, 2016, 08:47 Wallshadows

Blizzard devs can't balance a seesaw so whenever they discuss doing so in their games really makes me concerned.  

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
3. Re: Hardware Reviews May 31, 2016, 17:32 Wallshadows

jdreyer wrote on May 31, 2016, 14:32:
Wallshadows wrote on May 31, 2016, 11:24:
So many i7s but only one i5.

Given the choice to test drive and review a Corvette or a Malibu, which would you choose?

I'd crash both in any case.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. May 31, 2016, 12:14 Wallshadows

Kingdom of Heaven was a hell of a lot better because of the DC though.  

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
1. Re: Hardware Reviews May 31, 2016, 11:24 Wallshadows

So many i7s but only one i5.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. May 31, 2016, 11:11 Wallshadows

Warcraft seems to be bombing with US critics whereas it's doing fairly well abroad at least as far as video game adaptations go. I don't trust fan reviews for this one though, there are simply far too many people who either love Blizzard because they can do no wrong or have an axe to grind with them so it turns in to a giant dick measuring content of 10/10 and 0/10 reviews based on everything except the film itself.

Definitely had some growing pains thanks to the marketing team though who didn't seem to know what they were trying to advertise in many of the trailers.

3426 Comments. 172 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo