Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wallshadows
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 29, 2008, 20:53
Total Comments 3426 (Veteran)
User ID 50040

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Patches
1. Re: Morning Patches Jul 7, 2016, 09:57 Wallshadows

For a patch which was suppose to help with mod compatibility it has destroyed all of my installed mods.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Cancelled CoD: Roman Wars Details
5. Re: Cancelled CoD: Roman Wars Details Jul 6, 2016, 18:27 Wallshadows

360 Pilum.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 6, 2016, 15:01 Wallshadows

Verno wrote on Jul 6, 2016, 11:10:
I don't share the same concerns. I think the 1060 will be priced right at the same point and supply issues will be largely worked out by then. This could totally derail AMDs strategy of chasing marketshare and ceding performance. AIBs are rumored to be pretty upset with the margins on the 480 so it will be interesting to see what they do for the 1060.

It'll be interesting to see what's what but there's quite a bit of headroom left for AIBs to capitalize on overclocking the 480s since they'll have much better cooling and an 8pin to properly feed the card with enough power. The 'entry-level' Sapphire Nitro series will come shipped at ~1350 MHz and the PowerColor Devil is rumored to be 1400MHz. A reference 480 was pushed to 1425 on air which outperformed an overclocked 390X and Nano so there's still plenty of gold in them hills if you have the proper equipment while still likely being cheaper than a reference 1060 and drying up any performance lead it'll have.

I guess what it comes down to is that I am an overclocker. I generally write off reference numbers because the only time it'll have stock speeds is the three seconds it takes for me to dial in a higher clock and hit apply. For me to make a proper comparison between the 480 and 1060 would mean I'd have to wait for both to get their custom cards to stretch their legs but I feel confident that price:performance will be in favor of the 480 when the dust settles.

I won't mind eating my hat on this though.

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 6, 2016, 12:39:
Btw, one of the other interesting tidbits that came to light was that there were at lest 2 slightly different PCB's of the same card... not as a jab at AMD.. just as a curious fact. ;p

There were rumors that the Polaris XT chips weren't using the entire Polaris architecture and that Apple gobbled them all up for some kind of 'RX 485' but those rumors were laid to rest after someone broke down their card to show and compare.

There are, however, 4GB cards which shipped that had an extra 4GB chip disabled in the BIOS which could then be flashed to get all 8GB.

News Comments > Evolve Countdown
4. Re: Evolve Countdown Jul 6, 2016, 10:56 Wallshadows

It's a pre-order button.  

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 6, 2016, 10:44 Wallshadows

10% faster is good and all but if the 6GB version is priced at $300 then it's hard to say if that's enough sway to pull would-be 480 owners to the 1060 especially once AIBs are released which would still be cheaper than a reference 1060. This is especially concerning if the 1060s suffer from higher markup due to supply issues and has a low overclock ceiling like the 1070 and 1080 since the base clocks are pushed high right out of the gate.

Wait for benchmarks has been the saying lately and this is all I can do in the meantime. If it comes out at $250 with a mountain ready to ship then that's a whole new ballgame.

News Comments > Umbrella Corps Free DLC This Week
1. Re: Umbrella Corps Free DLC This Week Jul 5, 2016, 22:55 Wallshadows

I'm sure the eight players are thrilled.  

News Comments > Nuka Time is Last DLC for Fallout 4
5. Re: Nuka Time is Last DLC for Fallout 4 Jul 5, 2016, 22:54 Wallshadows

I'd like to see Bethesda make a case for $70 Season Pass out of this. Two mini-expansions, a quest chain, and what are essentially mods is pretty shitty on their part when the whole point of increasing the price was to bring more premium content after Far Harbor. It was bad enough when they charged for it sight-unseen and now Bethesda is already to drive the final nail in to the coffin.

I mean, they kept to their word that there would be more premium content after Far Harbor with Nuka World but I don't think anyone really thought that would be the end of it seeing as how much filler was stuffed in to the pass.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 4, 2016, 13:32 Wallshadows

I went fishing off the wharf and caught Squid that migrate from the great state of New Jersey. My girlfriend is going to make squid rings with them and I'm just like gross.  

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Jul 4, 2016, 13:27 Wallshadows

I did a literal last minute snag of Banished and Final Fantasy 14. Going to start off fresh and use it to satisfy my MMO desire until Legion along with a pile of other games on back log.

News Comments > Independence Day Tech Bits
8. Re: Independence Day Tech Bits Jul 4, 2016, 13:23 Wallshadows

There have been leaks in regards to the RX 490 but I wouldn't look to much in to them until confirmed but ~700 GB/s bandwidth, 16GB HBM2, and a 4096-bit bus at 200w sounds like an absolute monster if true.

The future looks bright for AMD and they should thank nVidia for helping them out so much.

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 3, 2016, 13:07 Wallshadows

What about a MOBA inside of a MOBA?

Someone fund me.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
2. Re: Hardware Reviews Jul 3, 2016, 12:52 Wallshadows

This is why I've been debating whether or not to build a Z97 machine over a Z170 for half the price. The perks of a Z170 such as DDR4 really has little to no impact in gaming and generally tapers off beyond 2133 save for rendering video.

Zen is the wild card. I heave heard that, on paper, the 40% improved IPC over Bulldozer puts it in to Haswell territory which is next door to Skylake as far as game performance is concerned but AMD may have more tricks up their sleeve to really put something great in to an otherwise stale market since Intel has been sitting on their hands since Sandy Bridge. Shame we have to wait till the fall/winter to find out if it's any good though and whether or not it's more affordable than a Skylake setup.

News Comments > Josh Mosqueira Leaves Blizzard
5. Re: Josh Mosqueira Leaves Blizzard Jul 3, 2016, 12:26 Wallshadows

Kajetan wrote on Jul 3, 2016, 12:16:
The Half Elf wrote on Jul 3, 2016, 11:45:
Not boding well for Blizzard/Diablo when everyone is jumping ship.
So, one man is "everyone"?

I'd dare say that when the man who tried to unjaywilson the game in to what it is now is sort of a big deal even if I'm not really interested in Diablo 3 in general. On top of that, there have been a few other high-profile employees who have either left or been poached by the Warcraft team like John Yang, Don Vu, and Leonard Boyarsky.

They've likely shitcanned any new expansion at this point and will burn the entire Diablo 3 formula to the ground if they shift their aim towards a fourth entry or to re-invigorate Diablo 2 with an HD version then call it quits. Let the seasons push this dying horse to a river then put it out of its misery.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 1, 2016, 17:22 Wallshadows

Chipp0r wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 17:13:
Regarding GFX cards, for 2k plus gaming, a 1070 is the new standard. The 1060 will be a good upgrade card for the 750TI users to game at 1080p, hense 3GB. It is more of a budget card so it does fit.

The thing is is that if nVidia has another production issue with the 1060 or it doesn't fall in line with the budget of those who game at 1080p60hz, AMD will throw their RX 470 in to the ring which is a slightly cut down version of the 480 for $150/179 to snag the rest as it is aimed exactly at 1080p with 4/8GB variations. nVidia would likely then have to release a 1050 if they want some of that sweet entry/mainstream money.

The never ending cat and mouse game.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 1, 2016, 16:47 Wallshadows

Regardless of how well this card performs, I have to wonder if they're going to get fucked over by low yields which essentially cancels out the MSRP due to markup which is what we're seeing now with 1070s and 1080s. It already commands a slight premium over the 480 (especially for the 6GB card) and, according to this rumor could place it 17% - 25% ahead of the R9 480 which would likely have it at 980 but if it gets hit by high markup and low availability then it leaves them in a vulnerable position if TSMC has anything to say about it.

$250USD for the 6GB would be damning if it is that much faster but I suspect we'll see them hit the market dry at $400USD for several months if nVidia has it in them to do another paper launch. Either way, I'm waiting for 480 AIBs so all I can do is wait and see what happens with this card. If it comes out with high quantities, better performance and doesn't carry a ridiculous price then I might surprise myself with this.

One general concern I have with the Pascal cards though is their limited overclocking headroom since their base clock has already been tuned upwards by default. The reference RX 480s suck even more ass but have shown quite a bit of promise when a better heatsink is installed, hitting somewhere near Nano territory on a 6pin before flaking out and if the Sapphire Nitro with an 8pin and better cooling is only ~10$ more than reference then that could throw a wrench in to the gears if that 10$ extra can mitigate the higher costs of a 1060 especially if it's a poor overclocker.

Interesting times ahead!

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 2016, 17:00.

1. Re: Hardware Reviews Jul 1, 2016, 11:28 Wallshadows

For those who are interested in the 480 but not so interested in the reference cards, Sapphire announced their Nitro series which will cost ~$11USD more than reference and ship with an 8-pin power adapter along with a DVI port.

The announced date is still unknown though. I'm surprised it's that cheap, personally, since you can get a much higher return on the card for such a minimal investment along with extra goodies.

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Beta Tease
1. Re: Battlefield 1 Beta Tease Jul 1, 2016, 11:22 Wallshadows

Pre-order now and get early beta early access!  

23. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 29, 2016, 21:49 Wallshadows

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 20:22:
snippy snip

Ahh, I see what you mean! I'm not sure why I didn't make the connection. Still emptying my head with rumors and hardware leaks I guess.

For someone with a 290, 390 and 970 I would absolutely tell them to wait for the 1060 because the 480 (especially reference) is definitely a side/nullgrade in that case. The 480 is geared more towards those who are sporting older series mainstream cards like the 270 or 750 TI which is where it'll have a much larger impact in terms of the 'wow' factor. For someone who is already there, it kind of sucks because now if you want to upgrade you're essentially being funneled in to a single option until next year and, by then, I am sure there will be Ti options to counter whatever AMD has up their sleeve.

If I had to guess, this is also likely the first time we've seen both manufacturers cleanly split the market for their new generation pf cards. Instead of creating an entry for each price point which would give consumers a more clear cut upgrade path and filling in with Xs and Tis we now have nVidia backing up in to the mainstream market and it won't be until next year when we see AMDs high-end solution.

News Comments > BioShock: The Collection Leak?
5. Re: BioShock: The Collection Leak? Jun 29, 2016, 19:28 Wallshadows

I didn't really find they had enough replay value so I don't know how I feel about this.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 29, 2016, 18:21 Wallshadows

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 15:12:
This just leaves me baffled... despite 14nm AMD did not manage lower power consumption than the GTX 970 at 28nm ... and lower performance for more power consumption? Why the hell would anyone buy that?

I have to agree with this kind of criticism. It seems kind of backwards in every sense of the word when it comes to the amount of power it uses even with <5% overclocking. Raja Koduri said they're looking in to it so who knows if it's something they can fix or if they'll have to perform some kind of recall since it can potentially fry the shit out of your motherboard.

3426 Comments. 172 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo