Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Ryan

Real Name Ryan   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wallshadows
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 29, 2008, 20:53
Total Comments 3304 (Veteran)
User ID 50040

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
14. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 29, 2016, 14:33 Wallshadows

Shineyguy wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 14:19:
If it's less than 10% that's already better than reference designs as all people seem to be getting there is an average of 3.5% OC.

That sounds about right as the XFX model is ~4.5% after I double checked the boost speed. Still not worth the premium though, in my opinion. Would rather spend that extra on a lower-end AIB since, by then, this SKU will likely vanish and one will take its place.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 29, 2016, 13:55 Wallshadows

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 13:43:
XFX is releasing an overclocked "Black" edition today. It has a custom back plate that is apparently better, but comes in at $270.

While true, it's less than a 10% overclock. Anything north of that and you're running in to power issues since it only draws from a 6-pin power connector. I never personally bought in to buying cards which have a higher price tag because they're slightly overclocked since I can do it myself in about 3 seconds. I'm not sure what the worth of that back plate on a reference card is either to be honest.

AIBs will solve power and heat issues but they might not be expected for weeks which I don't mind. I can play everything 'okay' on my 280 until then. They'll be more but if they come with DVI or two then that would offset the cost of having to otherwise buy DP to DVI adapters.

Rumor has it that the 1060 will be announced and/or released on the 9th of July so that could be interesting too if true.

10. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 29, 2016, 13:05 Wallshadows

I'm not sure what those who are bagging on the 480 were expecting as it was never advertised as being even comparable to a 1070 for single card usage. It's a new card which allows the mainstream market to enjoy some of the bells and whistles which were typically reserved for cards that are much more expensive without breaking the bank. It's also worth noting that these are all reference boards so if you plan to overclock for more performance, you're shit outta luck for the most part until AIBs are released.

970/390 performance for ~$200/230 is phenomenal if you ask me and, if anything, it'll re-invigorate the battle of the mainstream which is where the vast majority of the market is found. We're all winners when shit like this happens.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Jun 28, 2016, 10:13 Wallshadows

fujiJuice wrote on Jun 28, 2016, 00:36:
Why is that? Did you change credit cards or not enable the authenticator?

I don't have Steam Guard on my account because I don't have an iPhone or a Droid. Even if I went and got one today, there is still a 15 day hold before I can use the market.

News Comments > System Shock Specs
1. Re: System Shock Specs Jun 28, 2016, 09:53 Wallshadows

Pretty steep for being such a visually bland looking release. Not a strike against the game itself but the trailer and photos don't really show anything special on a technical level when compared to, say, DOOM which uses nearly identical (if not lower) requirements for minimum and recommended. Must be a Unity thing.

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 2016, 09:59.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jun 27, 2016, 23:58 Wallshadows

Thank you, Steam!  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 26, 2016, 17:18 Wallshadows

All I bought so far is This War of Mine and Stalker - Call of Pripyat which I've gone ahead and modded but not played. TWoM isn't really as grim as many say but I have a feeling those who say it is are probably the types who eat a tomato and say it's spicy.

As for Ark, well, for the first time since I was gifted it several months ago, I decided to give it a try. I joined my friend's private server and he literally had a god damn giant beaver with a saddle on it and I was instantly sold on the game. I'll come back to it later after I finish my new FO4 playthrough and dabble in TWoM/CoP.

News Comments > Steam Summer Picnic Sale Underway
1. Re: Steam Summer Picnic Sale Underway Jun 23, 2016, 13:11 Wallshadows

Steam is trying real hard to not crash right now.

Oh, there it goes!

This comment was edited on Jun 23, 2016, 13:28.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 23, 2016, 11:30 Wallshadows

Good, stick it to Oculus with their shitty lockdown shenanigans.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 22, 2016, 09:17 Wallshadows

I cancelled my sub once they region locked and upped the price of their service.  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Second Assault for Free
2. Re: Battlefield 4 Second Assault for Free Jun 22, 2016, 08:49 Wallshadows

I tried Battlefield 4 when I found out it had a free week-long trial and wanted to satisfy some much needed desires for FPS destruction. I remember back then how none of the links within Origin would work and I would always get the 'temporarily unavailable' page. Fast forward several months and I just now logged and literally every page other than My Games is 'temporarily unavailable'.

Fucking garbage.

News Comments > Umbrella Corps Released
1. Re: Umbrella Corps Released Jun 22, 2016, 08:39 Wallshadows

Dead in a month.  

News Comments > DOOM Demo Extended
23. Re: DOOM Demo Extended Jun 21, 2016, 13:39 Wallshadows

Game ran a lot better than I expected on Medium but the in-game performance tool leaves me a little confused. It doesn't seem to go from 1 - 100% usage because once my figures hit high teens they would turn red while my system was being stressed. Might have to run Afterburner and core temp for processor load to really get an idea and then crank up the settings to see what's bottle-necking what.

Either way, was surprised. I liked DOOM back in the day but I was never one of those hardcore fans who still play modded versions of the original and see it as the unholy grail to gaming. This, for me, is a solid deep sale / GOTY purchase.

This comment was edited on Jun 21, 2016, 13:44.

News Comments > Morning Patches
1. Re: Morning Patches Jun 21, 2016, 12:53 Wallshadows

Looks like the new Fallout 4 DLC is on the horizon. Nuka-World.

Take a trip to Nuka-World, a vast amusement park now a lawless city of Raiders. Explore an all-new region with an open wasteland and park zones like Safari Adventure, Dry Rock Gulch, Kiddie Kingdom, and the Galactic Zone. Lead lethal gangs of Raiders and use them to conquer settlements, bending the Commonwealth to your will. Nuka-World features new quests, Raiders, weapons, creatures, and more. Enjoy the ride!

I ended up buying the Season Pass from G2A for $35 because mods were already throwing dependencies in to Far Harbor and I honestly liked the two which were announced at E3 if only for added time sinks. By then, I figured if I got both of those and Far Harbor when the price comes down, I'll basically be paying the same as I would be for the Season Pass on G2A and went with it.

I fixed my stability issue too. Turns out I had one mod which wasn't up to date. Was frustrating to go through 65+ mods to find it but now I am glad a I did.

News Comments > Different Steam Top 10
7. Re: Different Steam Top 10 Jun 20, 2016, 13:59 Wallshadows

It looks alright. You have various killers who all have their own ability and perspective, procedural generated environment which can either be done solo or with a group and limited rewards which you pick up along the way.

Whether or not it has replay value, who knows. I kind of wonder why the killer doesn't just camp the exit but overall seems to be built on a much better asymmetrical premise than Evolve and it's only $20.

News Comments > New Turtle Rock Studios IP
5. Re: New Turtle Rock Studios IP Jun 20, 2016, 11:13 Wallshadows

No pre-order button ready at the go with 12 different versions to choose from?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2016, 20:41 Wallshadows

Friends discovered the young actor's body after Yelchin was several hours late for a scheduled rehearsal on Saturday night. "They went to his San Fernando Valley home at around 1AM and found him pinned between his car and a brick mailbox, which was attached to a security gate," the report claims. The engine was apparently still running, with the car placed in neutral.

Source

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2016, 19:31 Wallshadows

Ain't that a god damn bummer about Anton Yelchin. Jesus Christ. I wonder how Walter Koenig feels knowing that he's lived longer than his reboot.

From what I heard, he got pinned between his car and his mailbox? If so, this is why you turn your wheels on a slope...

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2016, 19:49.

News Comments > Sunday Patches
1. Re: Sunday Patches Jun 19, 2016, 11:38 Wallshadows

Still waiting on a god damn beta key. Even with Preach and FinalBoss going over classes, it's hard to tell what I want to focus on in Legion. While I would love to main either a Fire Mage or Destruction Warlock, I need some kind of feel for it before committing seeing as how nearly all raid testing vids demonstrate just how much melee continues to be more of a liability than an asset to the group.

I made the mistake of having a Warrior be my main for Warlords and dumped the idea about halfway through Heroic Highmaul for a Retribution Paladin. In Legion, it'll be more taxing for class swaps since you have to take your artifact in to consideration which may put you at a disadvantage barring any strings of luck with the lootables and that's something I am hoping to avoid.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2016, 11:49.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Jun 18, 2016, 16:02 Wallshadows

Kajetan wrote on Jun 18, 2016, 15:22:
I was talking explicitly about the huge commercial success of the console (!) versions of Oblivion and Skyrim. Way, WAY more units sold than the PC versions. With no mods!

And therefore Bethesda has no need to handle this mod thing well. Therefore Bethesda has no incentive to learn from their mistakes. Because they DO NOT need mods.

Just look at the dev kit for modding FO4. The same buggy, horrible mess, which again (!) needs extra fixes from the community to turn this crap into a usable dev kit. Just a reskin of the old FO3 kit. No effort at all!

Because they do not need mods

OH, I see what you mean! Yeah, the PC market only has small potatoes for sales when it comes to Skyrim and Fallout 4 so, if they really wanted to, they could be huge dicks in regards to modding and would still have a vault full of money to dive in to at the end of the day because of the console market.

They'll likely muscle through these growing pains though and it'll work more in their favor once the dust settles. Like much of what Bethesda produces, they simply released something before going through any kind of quality control or foresight.

3304 Comments. 166 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo