Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for phinn

Real Name phinn   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname phinn
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 26, 2008
Supporter -
Total Comments 237 (Novice)
User ID 50002

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance

13. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 7, 2020, 18:47 phinn

Really tired of these Windows 10 stories they gotta be BS. This OS has been running fantastic for me for years now. If it's only older PCs or something I get it, but in general I write this off as clickbate. I would never consider going back to Windows 7 at this point it's outdated garbage now.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Hardware Reviews

2. Re: Hardware Reviews Apr 6, 2020, 20:04 phinn

Slick wrote on Apr 6, 2020, 06:50:
Anyone buying a new laptop with an intel CPU needs their heads examined. The 4900HS is out of sight.

This doesn't seem to be a real issue, look at the benchmarks. This laptop has 12 hours battery life and great performance. Personally for work laptops I'd only buy a ThinkPad Carbon or now this XPS 13, love the small bezel. If I was building a new desktop, sure a Ryzen 3700X/3800X and RTX GPU would be mandatory. But which CPU this laptop comes with is inconsequential looking at these benchmarks.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation

5. Re: Saturday Consolidation Apr 4, 2020, 22:47 phinn

Iím sticking with PlayStation too because of how awesome exclusives like Bloodborne, Spider-Man, and The Last of Us are. Since Iím mainly on PC Iím hoping itís not too expensive. Just finally having a competent CPU and fast SSD will make an enormous difference for next gen consoles.  

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation

1. Re: Saturday Consolidation Apr 4, 2020, 15:22 phinn

The PS5 tech video from Mark Cerny was like 2 weeks ago, this article is more than a little late to the party.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 3, 2020, 12:50 phinn

High refresh (144Hz+) is game changing on PC where you have the power and processing capability to handle it. There is really no good reason to go above 60Hz on a phone where battery life is paramount.  

News Comments > Morning Patches

1. Re: Morning Patches Apr 1, 2020, 13:39 phinn

Anyone know how they are still patching Doom and Doom 2? Do these have any affect on the custom open source engines like GZDoom?  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered Officially Announced

2. Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Campaign Remastered Officially Announced Mar 31, 2020, 16:49 phinn

Meh, what about the multiplayer? COD is a mindless shooter in general but this is one of the better ones.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 26, 2020, 18:33 phinn

1.5 EFLOPS now this is truly amazing. Hope it makes a real difference in the long-term.  

News Comments > DOOM Eternal Killing It

31. Re: DOOM Eternal Killing It Mar 26, 2020, 13:14 phinn

Doom Eternal has been awesome so far, I'm about 5 hours in, I *highly* recommend it. id Tech 7 is a work of art too. Been running 1080p/120fps ish high settings on my 3 year old 9600K/1080 rig. So fast and smooth.  

News Comments > Morning Screenshots

1. Re: Morning Screenshots Mar 24, 2020, 15:49 phinn

Wondering if that's Nar Shaddaa. 33ms frame though? That's 30fps, yikes.  

News Comments > Half-Life: Alyx Review Roundup

14. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Review Roundup Mar 24, 2020, 08:52 phinn

Would love to play this, but the bottom line is I enjoy gaming enough on my 144Hz monitor to not want to spend the money on VR.  

News Comments > DOOM Eternal Released

5. Re: DOOM Eternal Released Mar 20, 2020, 13:18 phinn

Updated my Nvidia drivers, been running 1080p/144fps locked on high/max settings. It's smooth and responsive it's awesome for such good graphics. id Tech 7 with Vulkan is mind-boggling.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 20, 2020, 11:06 phinn

What's with all this Xbox news, Doom Eternal and Doom 64 are out on ALL platforms today.  

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers

4. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Mar 20, 2020, 09:12 phinn

People keep talking about these bugs in the drivers like they are a big deal, if you actually read them it's fringe things people rarely use. I played Doom Eternal for a bit on my 2-3 year old rig (i5-9600K GTX 1080) and it was locked at 144fps max settings, ran so smooth and responsive, there are no real issues on normal use.  

News Comments > DirectX 12 Ultimate Announced

10. Re: DirectX 12 Ultimate Announced Mar 20, 2020, 09:05 phinn

Speaking of game streaming with PS5 off the SSD at 5.5GB/s, that was just the base speed (although I'm sure Queue Depth 1-4 is much lower like most NVMe in the 60MB/s range). They said with Kraken compression they can hit 9GB/s. Since PCs won't have this speed anytime soon it'll push PC games to have much higher RAM usage to avoid streaming. Probably fine since PCs typically have 16GB+ RAM and 8GB+ VRAM, more than next-gen consoles, albeit maybe a bit slower than GDDR6 for now.

Between storage performance and this separate Tempest audio processor it's very interesting. Imagine having HRTF on 100s of audio sources in every game. It's really going to sound next-gen. Very few PC games do that because it's CPU intensive and this is offloaded entirely to the Tempest.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 19, 2020, 11:29 phinn

MattyC wrote on Mar 18, 2020, 21:18:
Well it says almost all... of the top 100. Which is a nice way of saying ďnot very many and based on our last two consoles you should just assume that number will only ever go down.Ē

You might want to try actually reading or listening to Mark Cerny's awesome tech talk. The games are running natively in the actual CPU/GPU hardware, just like running the same games when you build a new PC. There is no compatibility to remove or 'go down' like when they removed the PS2 processor (EE) from early PS3s to bring price down. Software will be used to expand support so the number will only go up.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 18, 2020, 21:17 phinn

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 18, 2020, 20:47:
We're probably going to need clarification on the PS5 backwards compatibility thing
Agreed but he said the top 100 PS4 games will work so that's plenty good enough for me. It sounded like there was no emulation but hardware supported.

News Comments > Game Reviews

2. Re: Game Reviews Mar 13, 2020, 14:04 phinn

Xero wrote on Mar 13, 2020, 13:31:
Respectable review for Black Mesa. I also feel the engine does look a tad dated but if you were going to replay HL1, there is no other choice but to play this version. It's as good as it can possibly be minus the lack of new engine.

Agree totally. I bought it when 1.0 released last week and played a couple levels so far, it's great. Graphically it's still a bit dated, and the lack of HBAO really hurts the overall look. Makes you think 'if only this could have been on Source 2'. That said I'm still thrilled with it overall.

News Comments > DOOM Eternal Launch Trailer

6. Re: DOOM Eternal Launch Trailer Mar 13, 2020, 10:23 phinn

Doom 2016 ran at 1080p/144fps locked on ultra settings with my 9600K 4.8GHz and GTX 1080 setup. It was so smooth and responsive. It looks so good hoping this runs as good. Might have to do an upgrade somewhere if needed. id Tech 7 just looks mind mindbogglingly gorgeous and well optimized.  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Warzone Attracts 6 Million; Player Count to Expand

1. Re: Call of Duty: Warzone Attracts 6 Million; Player Count to Expand Mar 12, 2020, 11:17 phinn

Neat, but my competitive gaming friends been 4 players ever since PUBG and Fortnite. Making a game 3 player max all the sudden is dead on arrival.  

237 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >