Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ... ..

Real Name ... ..   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname swaaye
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 19, 2008, 01:54
Total Comments 238 (Novice)
User ID 49717

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Released
30. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Released Aug 23, 2016, 13:29 swaaye

fawker wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 13:13:
Unusually high amount of salted popcorn flying in the Steam forums. Mostly performance issue on new high end cards. For an engine that has been around since 2012 (Hitman) this is surprising.
I usually find the Steam forums to be the most horrific clusterfuck of bitchy man-children/children available on the intarweb. Though it really depends on how hip and trendy the particular game is.

But anyway, it seems like most major releases aren't running so hot these days. Maybe just take "these days" off that sentence because I think this is how it almost always works out. In 5 years it will run super good on your futuristic midrange hardware.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2016, 13:36.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible
19. Re: The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible Aug 9, 2016, 14:00 swaaye

I don't think he said they're working on Morrowind. He was just explaining how weasel words work. And what do you think the chances of him actually having loved Rage? heh

Anyway, I'd rather see more of the Evil Within than more Rage. Not that either was exactly spectacular.

News Comments > Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3
19. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 17, 2016, 16:27 swaaye

I recall SS2's game design becoming progressively less impressive as you progressed. Especially once you get on the second ship. The level design falls apart and becomes more typical "late '90s nonsensical randomness". Nevermind the ending.

The weapon breaking and respawn can be disabled in the config file. They added this ability in a patch because people complained.

News Comments > Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3
13. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 17, 2016, 16:09 swaaye

SS1 is pretty cheesy and the controls are very strange by today's standards. It was exceptional in its day as a sci-fi form of Ultima Underworld. Much more interesting than most other first person shooters of the time.

I think SS2 is a much better game but yeah SS2 has some very iffy design decisions as well. The respawn and gun breakdowns can be tweaked in a game config file. People complained about how stupid it all was and so they added config vars for it.

This comment was edited on Feb 17, 2016, 16:18.

News Comments > Star Wars: Imperial Commando Rumor
7. Re: Star Wars: Imperial Commando Rumor Jan 26, 2016, 00:39 swaaye

This was supposedly being developed years ago after Republic Commando but was shelved.  

News Comments > EA Launches Origin Access Subscriptions
54. Re: EA Launches Origin Access Subscriptions Jan 13, 2016, 17:39 swaaye

News stories about Origin always bring out the best in people.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 12, 2016, 15:18 swaaye

I keep reading first hand reports of how headgear is less than enjoyable to wear for more than about an hour, because of the weight and cables, and that it tends to cause dizziness because even the slightest lag screws with your brain. Apparently there are also optical problems because not everyone has the same eyeballs.

So I'm not sold on it yet anyway.

But I don't see why a PS4 pushing 90fps would be forced to run cartoon visuals. The thing is still several times more capable than WiiU and anything prior to that, and modern visuals are so imperfect and running into diminishing returns that even the best cases tend to be people judging the art team instead of technology anyway.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 11, 2016, 22:46 swaaye

Nah, what Bundy said is the deal. It's just a matter of targeting the higher frame rate and dialing down the computational load for that. It would still look better than a WiiU game.  

News Comments > Remastered Turok Released
9. Re: Remastered Turok Released Dec 17, 2015, 22:55 swaaye

Turok was thrilling for a few hours but I was never able to make it very far into the game. It just gets boring, the saving checkpoints are frustrating, and the frequent platform jumping is not exactly joyful.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Delayed
7. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Delayed Nov 18, 2015, 17:06 swaaye

nin wrote on Nov 18, 2015, 15:55:
Nixxes did a did a great job on the last one. Hopefully they're involved here as well. Also, there's no mention of it being just the pc version.

No, Human Revolution received a number of major patches. The main problem I recall was frame rate hitching when out in the city areas. Some things were fixed and but then came back when they released the Director's Cut because they used old code for some reason.

News Comments > NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming
25. Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Oct 1, 2015, 15:16 swaaye

I feel the need to point out that the only reason a particular console game doesn't run at 60 fps is because the developer made the call that prettier pixels were more important than a 60 fps frame rate.

News Comments > NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming
23. Re: NVIDIA Relaunches Cloud Gaming Oct 1, 2015, 13:42 swaaye

I messed around with Onlive once. It was interesting to run FEAR 2 on my EeePC and it was playable for me. I'm just not sure I see a market for this stuff. But maybe there are kids that use it? No idea.

I like that NV tries to diversify and innovate in interesting ways related to games. AMD could use some of that spark.

News Comments > Inon Zur and the Fallout 4 Score
5. Re: Inon Zur and the Fallout 4 Score Sep 23, 2015, 13:45 swaaye

It's just preference. Fallout 1/2 have a somewhat different tone to them than what Bethesda builds. New Vegas uses some of the ambient music from Fallout 1.

To me the problem with the post apocalyptic world of Fallout is more the goofy humor and weird perpetual '50s thing that it also uses. This is just how the series is. It's why I preferred what STALKER did.

This comment was edited on Sep 23, 2015, 13:51.

News Comments > No Star Wars Battlefront Split Screen on PC
19. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Split Screen on PC Jul 14, 2015, 13:52 swaaye

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 13:22:
I've heard Chris Roberts is teaming up with EA because he is running out of money and needed a publisher to finish Star Citizen

Boy wouldn't that be interesting. I don't know if old Origin people really like EA...

News Comments > AMD Ceasing Mantle Optimizations
29. Re: AMD Ceasing Mantle Optimizations Jul 7, 2015, 11:37 swaaye

Mantle doesn't have much reason to exist anymore, and AMD certainly can't afford to continue pumping money into it. The signs of the end were near when they didn't bother to get previous Mantle implementations reworked for GCN 1.2 chips like the R9 285 and now the Fury. This is the metal API conundrum. Architecture changes necessitate reworking the code for new chips.

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 20:30:
Y'all are giving AMD too much credit. Microsoft would have improved DirectX 12 for the Xbone Windows 10 version anyway in order to avoid future headlines like "GTA VI: 1080p@60fps on PS4, 960p@30fps on Xbone". That's the sole reason they are doing it. Not AMD, not PC gamers, not the PC version of Windows 10. Those are merely byproducts.
Since they can't really relaunch the hardware, DirectX 12 was their only chance to give the ShitBox a boost.

All of the Xbox consoles may use something called D3D, but it's not the same D3D as a Windows PC runs. Developers can essentially go as close to the metal as they desire there. I doubt that there was anything performance related missing from the API that has been available there since launch. They are probably just trying to make ports to Windows easier. In other words they want companies to develop for Windows+Xbox instead of the competition and they are making it more attractive to do so.

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2015, 11:50.

News Comments > Battlezone (1998) Remake Plans
21. Re: Battlezone (1998) Remake Plans Jun 29, 2015, 21:44 swaaye

Nice. I'll probably buy this in a blink.  

News Comments > Grey Goo Free DLC
6. Re: Grey Goo Free DLC Jun 10, 2015, 17:43 swaaye

Look it up on the 'Tube. It's a fairly standard C&C/Starcraft-ish RTS design. Pretty nice visuals.  

News Comments > CDPR: "Too Early" to Discuss Cyberpunk 2077
19. Re: CDPR: May 27, 2015, 13:39 swaaye

It could be that they've started over with the project. Who knows.  

News Comments > More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy
59. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 20, 2015, 13:48 swaaye

Verno wrote on May 20, 2015, 12:47:
It wasn't support calls, it was BSODs being audio driver related and you can thank Creative for that. Creative drivers were responsible for something absurd like 14% of all Vista BSODs. Microsoft gave them a million chances which Creative squandered and finally got fed up.
I imagine it was partly motivated by a desire to reduce the audio driver's ability to bring down the system but I doubt niche Creative was the main reason. Most people have Intel, Realtek, Analog Devices, or VIA HD audio. It's been like that since audio integrated into motherboards.

News Comments > More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy
56. Re: More NVIDIA Gameworks Controversy May 20, 2015, 12:13 swaaye

Hairworks apparently uses geometry shaders and lots of tessellation. From what I can comprehend, Hairworks is very demanding for NV, but really extremely demanding for AMD. NVidia has focused more on geometry processing in their GPUs than AMD has. However, apparently Hairworks goes overboard with the tessellation, beyond what is needed to make the hair look "good" so this is part of the problem too. The geometry complexity can be toned down considerably with no visual change. The AMD control panel tessellation slider can control this to some extent.

So in other words, NV designed it for their architecture and also made it super demanding to help sell high-end hardware. Oh shocking.

Anyway that's the deal. I thought I would post after seeing most of the other comments were nonsensical AMD vs. NV anecdotes as usual.

238 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo