Oct 19, 2010, 14:45
Rob
Re: Men of War: Vietnam Website, Trailer Oct 19, 2010, 14:45
Oct 19, 2010, 14:45
Rob

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 19, 2010, 13:49:

It's like masturbating with grenades.

What's wrong with that?

Concerning the game: I own the original Men of War, but I haven't put much time into it. The single player didn't grab me, and I found the unit management system a little fussy. I've heard great things about the multi-player, yet because I don't have any friends that play the game, I've never set foot online.

The Vietnam setting has me interested, but since I wasn't keen on the original's gameplay I'm a bit hesitant in purchasing this game. So how do Blue's member feel about the series, and should I give it another shot with the time it deserves?

Re: DOTA TM Controversy
Aug 17, 2010, 15:11
Rob
Re: DOTA TM Controversy Aug 17, 2010, 15:11
Aug 17, 2010, 15:11
Rob

I had been wondering since this was first announced, what a worst case scenario would be. Is it possible that once the DOTA name becomes a Valve property, that Blizzard would be forced to pull all references to DOTA from WCIII and SC2(should any exist) in the custom game community? Talk about crapping on your heritage. =(

Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced
Aug 17, 2010, 14:57
Rob
Re: Dawn of War II - Retribution Announced Aug 17, 2010, 14:57
Aug 17, 2010, 14:57
Rob

Great news for Dawn of War II fans! Picking this up for the SP. Unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of the direction they took with DoW2. For mp, I'll stick with Company of Heroes and DoW1.

Re: DC Universe Online Beta Signups
Jul 20, 2010, 13:21
Rob
Re: DC Universe Online Beta Signups Jul 20, 2010, 13:21
Jul 20, 2010, 13:21
Rob

Does anyone have an idea of how this super hero mmo stands out from the two other major super hero mmos, City of Heros/Villians and Champions Online, aside from being set in the DC universe?

Re: Pro StarCraft II LAN Follow-up
Jun 25, 2010, 11:25
Rob
Re: Pro StarCraft II LAN Follow-up Jun 25, 2010, 11:25
Jun 25, 2010, 11:25
Rob

Is it going to be some some additional section or service to battle net only available to a registered tournament? Something that is not LAN, but more a "preferred" user space for the tournaments separate from the normal battle net structure. I guess that would make more sense if they absolutely must stick to their no-LAN game plan.

Re: XCOM Trailer
Jun 11, 2010, 13:35
Rob
Re: XCOM Trailer Jun 11, 2010, 13:35
Jun 11, 2010, 13:35
Rob

This is not XCOM.
This has nothing to do with anything resembling XCOM apart from the basic concept of "dudes shoot aliens with guns". So, why bother with the XCOM name? Perhaps as means of hopefully ensuring that their new IP doesn't tank out of the door; by using an older, more familiar, IP's name to grab people's attention?

That aside, I'll just judge the game based on it's own merit and what has been put on display so far. I'm loving the environments in that trailer, as well as that disassembling (I guess?) effect from the alien errr...craft. Impressive in both quality and style. And that... is about it.

I guess that black tar crap from Pirates of Dark Water is pissed that its show was canceled because it is out for VENGENCE. Fighting blobs of unrecognizable black splooge is not something that I would consider very enticing. Okay so we have sentient tar as an enemy, and I'm guessing possessed/zombified humans along with various geometric shapes to round out the rest of this games list of baddies? As for the rest, standard fps stuff not trying very hard to set itself apart from what has come before it.

While I'm sure there is going to be more to it than all that, I just can't place much confidence in this debut trailer. If this were an original IP, I probably would be quite interested in what it has to offer. However, it claims to be the successor to a series that I really enjoyed back in its day. Because of that and it having nothing resembling original XCOM's feel/gameplay, I find myself being far more critical of it than something original.

Re: New Star Trek Online Mission
May 13, 2010, 12:51
Rob
Re: New Star Trek Online Mission May 13, 2010, 12:51
May 13, 2010, 12:51
Rob

A combination of Star Trek:25th Anniversary + Judgment Rites, along with ST: Bridge Commander would be far more rewarding (and cheaper) than STO. The general gameplay concepts behind STO had potential, but it felt like they needed to take another year (or two) to flesh out content and add more depth to the space-based combat.

Speaking of Bridge Commander, it would be nice if we could get an updated version of that game. At least something similar in scope would be great.

Re: StarCraft II Day One Patch Plans
Mar 9, 2010, 12:49
Rob
Re: StarCraft II Day One Patch Plans Mar 9, 2010, 12:49
Mar 9, 2010, 12:49
Rob

I think I would have found this game excellent had it come out before Company of Heroes.

Re: No WinXP Support in Just Cause 2
Feb 23, 2010, 15:08
Rob
Re: No WinXP Support in Just Cause 2 Feb 23, 2010, 15:08
Feb 23, 2010, 15:08
Rob

No XP support sounds like it's going to really cut a lot of possible sales of this game on the PC side of things.

Anyway, Just Cause 2 doesn't seem like the sort of game that will have people tripping over themselves to upgrade their PCs just to play. It looks alright, and the first Just Cause was......okay? I'm guessing this decision saves on development and future support costs, but will it be worth it in the long run to have missed out on a large chunk of (possible) initial sales?

I'll admit that I'm still in the dark ages here with XP. I put my current XP PC together on the release of Vista, which I treated with a wait and see attitude (and see how that turned out...). It has served me quite well so far, and at no point had I run into any situation requiring the new OS. Aside from Windows 7 being a more efficient OS, what is the urgent need to upgrade when XP still handles most thing well enought? I'm sure I'm not the only one with this feeling.

Adoption of Windows 7 will come with time; and sorry charlie, it's not going to happen in a single year. When it is the mainstream in home/business, making it a requirement wont be such a big deal. At this point in time though, making Win7 necessary to play your game seems like shooting yourself in the foot.

Re: THQ on Warhammer 40K MMOG
Feb 4, 2010, 11:04
Rob
Re: THQ on Warhammer 40K MMOG Feb 4, 2010, 11:04
Feb 4, 2010, 11:04
Rob

I've always enjoyed the fiction of Warhammer 40K, so I'm hoping that this project turns out well. I'm eager to see what happens at E3.

As a side note, I hope by "competitive" they mean "different". I don't think a reskin of World of Warcraft with a few extra bells and whistles will be successful in the long run.

Re: Front Mission Evolved in Spring 2010
Jan 25, 2010, 16:56
Rob
Re: Front Mission Evolved in Spring 2010 Jan 25, 2010, 16:56
Jan 25, 2010, 16:56
Rob

Prez wrote on Jan 25, 2010, 16:46:
It kind of looks like what I imagine Heavy Gear 3 would look like in 2010 had the series not died in '99. That alone gets me all a-twitter.

Why did you have to mention Heavy Gear? I just got past the mourning stage! Now I need to see my therapist again Bigcry

Re: Front Mission Evolved in Spring 2010
Jan 25, 2010, 16:40
Rob
Re: Front Mission Evolved in Spring 2010 Jan 25, 2010, 16:40
Jan 25, 2010, 16:40
Rob

This is an interesting turn for the series. It looks great, but I think I would have preferred another SRPG-style Front Mission. It will have to be top notch, and carve a distinct path of its own on the game play side of things. Otherwise, it's going to come off as a stripped down knockoff of the Armored Core series. Hoping for the best!

However....

SQUARE ENIX: "Featuring Hollywood style production values and a totally immersive storyline"

...somehow I doubt that...

Re: Game Tester Reality Show
Jan 21, 2010, 16:57
Rob
Re: Game Tester Reality Show Jan 21, 2010, 16:57
Jan 21, 2010, 16:57
Rob

While I suppose that aspects of this particular show may be insightful, I really dislike this sort pseudo-reality show competition format.

I'm curious as to what sort of "physical and mental elimination challenges", as applicable to game testing (you know, the position they are competing for), that would not bore the crap out of the audience.

I'm sorry, but I don't think watching a bunch of schlubs playing video games, for a reward of money and playing more video games, is all that exciting.

Re: Supreme Commander 2 Trailer
Jan 20, 2010, 14:52
Rob
Re: Supreme Commander 2 Trailer Jan 20, 2010, 14:52
Jan 20, 2010, 14:52
Rob

Although I can't quite put my finger on it, SC2 seems to have lost something since the original.

Re: Star Trek Online Open Beta Signups
Nov 20, 2009, 09:38
Rob
Re: Star Trek Online Open Beta Signups Nov 20, 2009, 09:38
Nov 20, 2009, 09:38
Rob

I can't say I'm very excited about this game. Each of the different outlets of gameplay just seem so shallow, and well....MMO'y. It's just that these separate parts of STO have been done so much better in other games.

I say if you want a better Ship combat experience, play some Star Trek Bridge Commander with the Kobayashi Maru mod installed.

Also, if you want some solid away team adventure, check out a few of these old Interplay adventure games: Star Trek 25th Anniversary and Star Trek: Judgement Rites. There is some great stuff to check out here.

For me, ship combat is the real tragedy here. Of all videos I have seen for this game, the ship combat just looks so bland. As just a token effort or something. Heck, Star Trek Legacy had more interesting combat than this (: :-shudders-: :). Another sore point, the ships don't seem to have any scale. So far, they feel like little toys or shuttles plodding about. That's a real immersion killer.

Re: MW2 MP: 18 Player Limit
Nov 4, 2009, 16:43
Rob
Re: MW2 MP: 18 Player Limit Nov 4, 2009, 16:43
Nov 4, 2009, 16:43
Rob

Wow, I had been very patient with this dedicated server issue. I was even going to give IW net the benefit of the doubt. However, only 9v9 max for PC? A Call of Duty PC game with only 9v9...that is crap. Smaller games can be enjoyable, but we're now going to be missing out on the huge frag fests of yester-year. I'm now a sad panda =(

Re: On Battle.net 2.0 Fee Speculation
Jun 5, 2009, 14:33
Rob
Re: On Battle.net 2.0 Fee Speculation Jun 5, 2009, 14:33
Jun 5, 2009, 14:33
Rob

"When a player buys the StarCraft II box at retail, they will have the ability to play on the new Battle.net for free..."

This comes off a lot like the "first month free subscription" message that you find on most subscription based games.

While the rundown of of Blizzard-Live's features looks great, the majority of those features don't interest me enough to warrant paying for them. So, is a payed subscription required to play either SC2 or Diablo 3 multiplayer? Or, is there a limited, free alternative? Furthermore, should a World of Warcraft subscription also include premium Bnet 2.0?

Just a few things I was concerned with.

Re: No subject
May 14, 2008, 16:31
Rob
Re: No subject May 14, 2008, 16:31
May 14, 2008, 16:31
Rob

I have to say that this game will most likely have little trouble selling well intially, even lacking a demo. Casual Bethesda (read: Elder Scrolls) fans, along with the casual fallout fans will most likely flock to Fallout 3 on release day. It's the "hardcore"/passionate fans of Fallout 1 + 2 that are most leary of the new game, and those most in "need" of a demo.

Fallout 3 is a sequal (not a spin-off) of a series that made it's impact in the heyday of "top-down" isometric perspective crpgs. Fallout 3 takes a radically new direction, gameplay-wise, for the series. Aside from the setting, it's going to be a different type of game. I'm sure there are quite a few fans of the originals that would like a little taste of this new direction before dropping $50-$60 on it.

It's Fallout. How could you not play it?

Because you run the risk of ending up with a pile like "Brotherhood of Steel".

And for those of you who dont get that reference, here's another example that's probably a more likely case anyway:

Say "Monopoly 2" starts being marketed, yet you can't try before you buy. Sure you could wait until your one of your friends get it, but you want it now. You say: "Hey, Monopoly was awsome! So this should be too." You buy it and take it home only to find out it's now a game that's not entirely unlike Axis & Allies.

not that Axis & Allies is a bad game, it's just not like Monopoly.

18 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older