Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nucas

Real Name Nucas   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Nucas
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description mayor of FUNKVILLE, BABY!!!
Homepage http://
Signed On May 10, 2008, 04:00
Total Comments 771 (Graduate)
User ID 49584

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
35. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 00:27 Nucas

your comment made me think blue, i decided to try cooking "seasonally" this year, and more often, focusing on in season vegetables and "traditional" seasonal meals and it really snapped the year into focus for me instead of time feeling fleeting. it also had the knock on effect of making me more agreeable towards holidays at large (i'm generally apathetic at best towards holidays and occasionally forget my own birthday), primarily i guess because i was willing to dive into amitious dishes on the cooking focused holidays like thanksgiving since those are the real opportunities for seasonal meals to shine.

i'm now (like as of an hour ago) apparently in charge of christmas dinner for 4 people and having a nice (albeit modestly proportioned) spread to plan and prepare has actually improved my temper towards the most bullshit holiday of all.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Get Oxenfree for Free
7. Re: Get Oxenfree for Free Dec 20, 2017, 00:16 Nucas

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 20:37:
Is it worth it? I haven't heard many positive things about it

i can't imagine you heard negative things, did you? it was one of the most standout indie titles of 2016 to me personally. it's a brisk playthrough and it has branching endings. very much worth the time investment of at least one play. i bought it full price and regret nothing.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
14. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 17, 2017, 12:47 Nucas

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 21:34:
NKD wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 21:25:
Unless I'm behind on this research, there hasn't been any credible link discovered between cell phone usage and illness. In addition, despite cell phone usage increasingly dramatically, there has been no corresponding increase in brain cancer diagnoses.
In the early 20th century watch dials and hands were painted with radium-containing paint so that they would glow in the dark. The women employed in this work licked the paint brushes to make the tips pointed and, well, you know the rest of that story.

https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/results/areas/cellphones/
https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/radiation/cell-phones-fact-sheet

Cell phones are relatively new. More studies are underway.

the difference there being the employers knew, or had cause to suspect, the toxic nature of radium and concealed it from the employees. and, well, you know the rest of that story.

we also understand the mechanism of ionizing radiation's effects on DNA pretty well at this point, and RF is non-ionizing. we've got a pretty good chunk of data on it now considering RF's been in wide use for well over a century.

i'll not decry further research on a subject, but i'd slate this one under "matter of lowest concern", just below "does aspartame cause cancer?"

General Discussion > Star Wars Spoiler Thread
13. Re: Star Wars Spoiler Thread Dec 17, 2017, 01:12 Nucas

i thought the movie was solid but unremarkable.

i liked its willingness to be different and break "the rules" with new ships, new technology, new uses of the force. a lot of user reviews i've seen elsewhere have been decrying this, and my irony meter is maxing out; "the force awakens" was a rehash of a new hope, but this is too different!!!

i also liked how perfunctory the dispatching of snoke was. i think people look back on palpatine and are just unable to seperate like 30 years of retrospect from the memory of the first time they watched the movies and he was just "the bad wizard running shit", no different than snoke.

i think my favorite part was throwing rey's MYSTERIOUS LINEAGE out the airlock, another "bucking trends" move. star wars has felt trapped by its own need to maintain it's status quo for so long to me. this was a step in the right direction.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 01:07 Nucas

Cutter wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 22:46:
Blue you really need to ban these fucking trolls like Beamer and Redeye,. Why do you let those brats keep starting trouble? I guess their parents have no idea what they're doing in the basement besides tugging it. Send them back to 4Chan where they belong. All they ever do is troll and start trouble. It's tiresome.

i just.. i can't.. is this real?

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2017, 02:44 Nucas

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 01:52:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 11:30:
Living in a small town sometimes has it's perks. My local theater is showing Star Wars: The Last Jedi tonight at 9:30 WOOT. won't have to worry about anymore spoilers
It's was ok.
I really gotta stop going to the movies when I have such high expectations.

agreed here. same time, even!

i was trying to think of the last movies that really made me think "this is why i go to the movies!" on the way home and all i got is mad max fury road and arrival in the last, like, five years.

News Comments > GTA Online The Doomsday Heist Released
3. Re: GTA Online The Doomsday Heist Released Dec 13, 2017, 00:44 Nucas

the GTAO heists are where the fun of gta5 was for me. i've got about 300 hours racked up on gta5 and it's pretty much all online with my friends co-oping missions and heists. this is sweet music to my earholes.  

News Comments > Get Homefront for Free
5. Re: Get Homefront for Free Dec 7, 2017, 23:09 Nucas

i liked this enough to play it twice but that was as much due to being one of the shortest shooters i've ever played; i think i beat it in about 4 to 5 hours, right up there (down there) with medal of honor 2010.

it is just kind of aping early call of duty but that's not so bad in my book.

it was from the frontlines: fuel of war guys. polygon ran a fascinating and thorough post mortem on it and it's development a few years ago.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2017, 01:36 Nucas

jdreyer wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 15:43:
So, I broke down and bought No Man's Sky on TG. I'm 20 hours in and really enjoying it. I haven't had such pure exploration joy since Oblivion or Asheron's Call. I love slowly cruising over an alien landscape, landing, seeing bizarre alien flora and fauna, going to a different planet and seeing entirely different landscape, flora, and fauna. And it's all so colorful and whimsical, especially at night with the bioluminescence. I think they've really tweaked it well since the launch issues they had.

I happened upon a downed bulk hauler with all of its systems burned out. It was very satisfying to get all the resources, craft the parts, and get her in the air again.

Also, I like how they drip out the central mystery bit by bit. Apparently, this is the new campaign that replaced the original, and so far I'm motivated to keep following the bread crumbs.

It's not perfect, of course. The procedural generation template is obvious. Space is full of stupid asteroids everywhere to let you recharge your thrusters should they run dry. The combat is still pretty weak. I've taken to just running away from pirates at this point since that's not my motivation for playing the game. And having to recharge my stuff constantly is a chore. Looking to get some auto resource generation set up so I don't need to do as much of that.

Anyway, I recommend it if any of the above sounds interesting to you.

i've been meaning to check it out with all the new updates in place; i played it at release and before i knew it racked up over 120 hours. just cruising around, collecting stuff, blowing the shit out of sentinels. it's an excellent exploration game; it reminded me of how much i enjoyed the mako segments way back in mass effect 1, the sense of isolation and discovery. i'm glad to hear someone else here has been able to enjoy it.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2017, 12:44 Nucas

i was such a latecomer to pc gaming (i mean compared to the usual blues demo), i've never heard the name redwood before; what site did he run?
in any event, a happy birthday to you mate. games at large owe a lot to the culture shapers like him and you too, blue.

News Comments > Battlezone Combat Commander Announced
4. Re: Battlezone Combat Commander Announced Nov 30, 2017, 20:32 Nucas

shiho wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 02:24:
Last time I checked, original devs were STILL supporting BZ2 with patches up to this day. Why is this even a thing?

half life still gets patched, why play Black Mesa? how reductionist.

News Comments > Battlezone Combat Commander Announced
2. Re: Battlezone Combat Commander Announced Nov 30, 2017, 01:42 Nucas

i've been hoping this was coming since their release of battlezone 98 redux. combat commander was really panned on release, i was never sure why, but i loved it. great campaign.  

News Comments > EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II
13. Re: EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II Nov 29, 2017, 11:44 Nucas

where video game violence panic failed, this is going to bring in the government meddling and regulation.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2017, 12:40 Nucas

i've tried a few times over the years but could never get into master and commander the film; love the soundtrack though.  

News Comments > Black Mesa Delayed
22. Re: Black Mesa Delayed Nov 27, 2017, 01:37 Nucas

Capitan wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 13:48:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 09:57:
Capitan wrote on Nov 26, 2017, 02:23:
Pity that they didn't use a newer game engine for this. It looks they try to push the last ompf out of the good ol GoldSrc?
The Steam version is on a new engine and is not on GoldSrc. It is running on a branch of the TF2 Source engine.

Ok, my bad. But still it looks as something released 10 years ago,

whatever you say, dude; if nothing else, at least you're still getting some enjoyment from the project, even if it comes from simply swinging around your super stylin' jaded-negativity hard-on.

i thought black mesa was fun when i played it and i'm looking forward to seeing what they did with xen. the original levels were shit (i usually just noclip-cruised through them) and they displayed a stunning lack of imagination. everything i've seen gives me cause for positivity but it's also been like 10 years and i admit i don't really ever spend time thinking about the game. i've got it chalked up as a potential pleasant surprise if ever they get around to actually wrapping it up.

slipping two dates (that i suspect they only even announced because they felt internally they needed pressure to actually finish the project) doesn't bode well but there was obviously progress made so i guess i'm just back to not caring either way personally.

News Comments > Black Mesa Delayed
11. Re: Black Mesa Delayed Nov 25, 2017, 22:31 Nucas

why even bother with the release dates? i still remember the words "do or die" applied to the december release date when the august date slipped. maybe they felt they needed a push?  

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale and Steam Awards Return
19. Re: Steam Autumn Sale and Steam Awards Return Nov 24, 2017, 02:30 Nucas

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 23, 2017, 15:38:
The “Labor of Love” Award
Black Mesa

i'm dreaming of a xen christmas.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 23, 2017, 01:54 Nucas

i missed it too, so here's a happy birthday from me blue. keep on truckin' mandingha.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2017, 12:38 Nucas

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 09:59:
It's a shame Pirro didn't find an oil slick.
The Global Journal of Addiction and Rehabilitation Medicine even made her associate editor.
who's a good dog

jesus christ if i were driving that fast i'd have had my license seized and car towed on the spot and been arrested.

News Comments > Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed
10. Re: Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed Nov 21, 2017, 12:35 Nucas

Quinn wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 10:38:
Always been a great fan of NWN but never played Hordes of the Underdark. As the Drizzt novels fan that I am today, I can't wait to give that expansion a shot! Doesn't that expansion bring you to Menzoberranzan?

hordes of the underdark was one of the best releases of old bioware in my opinion. it's really good; it should have been the main campaign. excellent soundtrack by jeremy soule too, some of his best work of that decade.

771 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo