Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nucas

Real Name Nucas   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Nucas
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description mayor of FUNKVILLE, BABY!!!
Homepage http://
Signed On May 10, 2008, 04:00
Total Comments 763 (Graduate)
User ID 49584

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Underworld Ascendant Trailer
11. Re: Underworld Ascendant Trailer Jan 18, 2018, 01:53 Nucas

that art style is like the fantasy-video-game equivalent of a stock image. but if it plays good, it plays good. here's hoping! i'd rather have a good game than not.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > InnerSpace Launched
8. Re: InnerSpace Launched Jan 18, 2018, 01:04 Nucas

007Bistromath wrote on Jan 17, 2018, 02:04:
Ever play this?

I never read the books, and I'm given to understand the game takes significant liberties, but it's still one of the best old-school point-and-clicks I've played.

i'm kind of familiar with its existence, but i have to admit i've never played a point-and-click game in my life, and it's age also made me give it a pass just from what i imagine are the ease-of-use issues.

but gog just got it over the winter and that's quite an endorsement you give it, so i might have to check it out next time it's on sale.

i'll counter endorse the books if you do much reading. this series makes my top 5 list, and i don't even really read much fantasy stuff.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 17, 2018, 01:18 Nucas

hopefully that upgrade shutdown doesn't stop people from activating a new copy of win10 with a windows 8 key, that was my plan when i get my new build off the ground.

and yeah, less bitcoin and more new currencies like ethereum are driving the prices of gpus (and by association ram) through the fucking roof since those currencies are cost effective vs energy consumption to mine. china was saber rattling at the ram cartels to stop price fixing and maybe in a month or two that will shake out, or the current crypto bubble will burst violently. there's just no way to know when it will get under control.

there's never been a better time to sell a gpu if you have a decent one.

News Comments > InnerSpace Launched
4. Re: InnerSpace Launched Jan 17, 2018, 00:47 Nucas

i'm going to break from the classic movie references and say the description and clips immediately made me think of the excellent old fantasy novel series, Death Gate, which took place in 4 sort of elemental inside-out worlds that people had to navigate with weird sky and water ships.

that irrational emotional connection will probably make me purchase this whenever i get my gaming pc working again.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Why Building a Gaming PC Right Now Is a Bad Idea, Part 1- Expensive DDR4 Memory Jan 15, 2018, 12:32 Nucas

my computer, built alongside the pyramids of egypt, finally bit the dirt and this is the first time in my life that it looks like a better idea to buy a pre-built than just put together a machine.

at this point i'm thinking to just upgrade the mobo/cpu and ram and carry over everything else and wait to see if this current bubble bursts. gpus are going for the price of a fucking car!

as an aside i'm kind of disappointed to see that for straight gaming, even with meltdown, intel still rules the roost. i guess i had a subconscious bias to see AMD return to the glory days of the athlon but head-to-head comparisons of the 8600k and 1700 just don't make the purchase make sense.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 7, 2018, 00:26 Nucas

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jan 7, 2018, 00:08:
Best gaming headphones, are whatever music headphones you prefer most/within your budget along with a modmic or similar attachable mic. If you buy the headphones with the integrated mic then you will just be left with either the headphone or the mic part breaking and having to replace the whole thing, vs the modular approach where you can just replace whichever part breaks. Been using a modmic with a pair of Ultrasone pro-750's for 5 years now.

this is good advice since it also gives you the chance to upgrade one or the other.

in your price range, i'd suggest the Sony MDR-V6 (or MDR-7506, whichever is less - the 7506 is the studio designation with a better warranty but physically identical). 9 times out of 10 in my experience this is what i find in audio departments or in recording booths. they're about 70 bucks. you can spend the remaining 30 on a solid condensor microphone and a more comfortable set of velour or leather earpads for the headphones.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2018, 04:07 Nucas

this has been a banner week for anyone who loves movie or games scores - jeremy soule finally released the first part of The Northerner; "music of the spheres" by martin o'donnell, michael salvatori and paul mccartney was finally leaked in full; and lorne balfe, the composer of ghost in the shell's soundtrack release all his 24-bit wav recordings of the score on his website after the official release of the ost was mysteriously cancelled earlier this year.

cracking way to close out 2017.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2017, 22:51 Nucas

oh no, yucky girls are getting in our clubhouse and ruining star wars for white dudes, who star wars is supposed to be for!

i saw TLJ opening night and was kind of indifferent but the caterwauling it's provoked in "real star wars fans" has been highly entertaining.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Dec 21, 2017, 00:49 Nucas

i've been skeptical of DRM panic but that denuvo fuck-up really demonstrates to me that the alarmists are probably right; buy AAA games that are tied to that leash with the understanding that in 3 to 5 years they will be just as unplayable as bulletstorm or GTA4, i guess. or, most ideally, they can shackle it to the next DRM and sell it to you again.  

News Comments > Bridge Constructor Portal Released
9. Re: Bridge Constructor Portal Released Dec 21, 2017, 00:46 Nucas

Wash Washburne wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 09:26:
So this is what Valve has been up to all these years, very creative stuff. They fused elements from The Incredible Machine with Lemmings and Portal'ed it. Derp...next release, Half Life Battle Chess!!

wow it's amazing what that flat management structure is able to churn out! people just work on what they think is the most interesting! amazing! praise gaben!

etc etc

News Comments > Get Oxenfree for Free
11. Re: Get Oxenfree for Free Dec 21, 2017, 00:45 Nucas

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 08:39:
And free game or not, my time ain't free Asking takes no time ^^

indeed, it is the most valuable commodity of all. that's why i emphasized i thought it was worth the investment of time since money was off the table. i'm honestly surprised your friends' appraisals were so universal, it was generally pretty well received. it's simple and straightforward but engaging. great soundtrack too.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2017, 00:27 Nucas

your comment made me think blue, i decided to try cooking "seasonally" this year, and more often, focusing on in season vegetables and "traditional" seasonal meals and it really snapped the year into focus for me instead of time feeling fleeting. it also had the knock on effect of making me more agreeable towards holidays at large (i'm generally apathetic at best towards holidays and occasionally forget my own birthday), primarily i guess because i was willing to dive into amitious dishes on the cooking focused holidays like thanksgiving since those are the real opportunities for seasonal meals to shine.

i'm now (like as of an hour ago) apparently in charge of christmas dinner for 4 people and having a nice (albeit modestly proportioned) spread to plan and prepare has actually improved my temper towards the most bullshit holiday of all.

News Comments > Get Oxenfree for Free
7. Re: Get Oxenfree for Free Dec 20, 2017, 00:16 Nucas

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 20:37:
Is it worth it? I haven't heard many positive things about it

i can't imagine you heard negative things, did you? it was one of the most standout indie titles of 2016 to me personally. it's a brisk playthrough and it has branching endings. very much worth the time investment of at least one play. i bought it full price and regret nothing.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
14. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 17, 2017, 12:47 Nucas

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 21:34:
NKD wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 21:25:
Unless I'm behind on this research, there hasn't been any credible link discovered between cell phone usage and illness. In addition, despite cell phone usage increasingly dramatically, there has been no corresponding increase in brain cancer diagnoses.
In the early 20th century watch dials and hands were painted with radium-containing paint so that they would glow in the dark. The women employed in this work licked the paint brushes to make the tips pointed and, well, you know the rest of that story.

https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/results/areas/cellphones/
https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/radiation/cell-phones-fact-sheet

Cell phones are relatively new. More studies are underway.

the difference there being the employers knew, or had cause to suspect, the toxic nature of radium and concealed it from the employees. and, well, you know the rest of that story.

we also understand the mechanism of ionizing radiation's effects on DNA pretty well at this point, and RF is non-ionizing. we've got a pretty good chunk of data on it now considering RF's been in wide use for well over a century.

i'll not decry further research on a subject, but i'd slate this one under "matter of lowest concern", just below "does aspartame cause cancer?"

General Discussion > Star Wars Spoiler Thread
13. Re: Star Wars Spoiler Thread Dec 17, 2017, 01:12 Nucas

i thought the movie was solid but unremarkable.

i liked its willingness to be different and break "the rules" with new ships, new technology, new uses of the force. a lot of user reviews i've seen elsewhere have been decrying this, and my irony meter is maxing out; "the force awakens" was a rehash of a new hope, but this is too different!!!

i also liked how perfunctory the dispatching of snoke was. i think people look back on palpatine and are just unable to seperate like 30 years of retrospect from the memory of the first time they watched the movies and he was just "the bad wizard running shit", no different than snoke.

i think my favorite part was throwing rey's MYSTERIOUS LINEAGE out the airlock, another "bucking trends" move. star wars has felt trapped by its own need to maintain it's status quo for so long to me. this was a step in the right direction.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 01:07 Nucas

Cutter wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 22:46:
Blue you really need to ban these fucking trolls like Beamer and Redeye,. Why do you let those brats keep starting trouble? I guess their parents have no idea what they're doing in the basement besides tugging it. Send them back to 4Chan where they belong. All they ever do is troll and start trouble. It's tiresome.

i just.. i can't.. is this real?

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2017, 02:44 Nucas

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 01:52:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 11:30:
Living in a small town sometimes has it's perks. My local theater is showing Star Wars: The Last Jedi tonight at 9:30 WOOT. won't have to worry about anymore spoilers
It's was ok.
I really gotta stop going to the movies when I have such high expectations.

agreed here. same time, even!

i was trying to think of the last movies that really made me think "this is why i go to the movies!" on the way home and all i got is mad max fury road and arrival in the last, like, five years.

News Comments > GTA Online The Doomsday Heist Released
3. Re: GTA Online The Doomsday Heist Released Dec 13, 2017, 00:44 Nucas

the GTAO heists are where the fun of gta5 was for me. i've got about 300 hours racked up on gta5 and it's pretty much all online with my friends co-oping missions and heists. this is sweet music to my earholes.  

News Comments > Get Homefront for Free
5. Re: Get Homefront for Free Dec 7, 2017, 23:09 Nucas

i liked this enough to play it twice but that was as much due to being one of the shortest shooters i've ever played; i think i beat it in about 4 to 5 hours, right up there (down there) with medal of honor 2010.

it is just kind of aping early call of duty but that's not so bad in my book.

it was from the frontlines: fuel of war guys. polygon ran a fascinating and thorough post mortem on it and it's development a few years ago.

763 Comments. 39 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo