Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nucas

Real Name Nucas   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Nucas
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description mayor of FUNKVILLE, BABY!!!
Homepage http://
Signed On May 10, 2008, 04:00
Total Comments 785 (Graduate)
User ID 49584

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2018, 12:00 Nucas

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 15, 2018, 10:56:
Wow, seven years since A Dance with Dragons. I hadn't realized it had been quite that long. Yeah, he isn't going to finish before dying. I suspect the best we can hope for is he has done a detailed outline of the story so someone can complete it after his death -- as Herbert's kid did for the end of the Dune series.

a better example would be robert jordan's wheel of time; he was diagnosed with his illness in time to prepare an outline, notes, and write the ending personally. herbert's kid claims he found a text file with an outline of the last book on his dad's computer after he died. his output is also genuinely wretched.

either way, it won't happen. martin has said before he won't let anyone finish his books.

i'd love to pick up the books but i don't start unfinished series anymore, so i guess i never will because he's not going to finish it. not just because of his age and health, but he just doesn't seem interested in writing the series anymore.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. 3Dfx History: The GPU's Great Turning Point Feb 15, 2018, 11:43 Nucas

i was just digging around for my PSU box this morning and came across my first graphics card, a Voodoo Banshee from Diamond. this article scratched just the right nostalgia/curiousity itch. by the time i was ready to upgrade again, 3dfx was already on the downward spiral. it was my first and last card from them.  

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2018, 17:03 Nucas

blue has always run this place with such a light touch that i have always wondered just how much of an asshole someone must have been whenever i see that big read "removed".  

News Comments > Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition Beta Plans
7. Re: Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition Beta Plans Feb 11, 2018, 15:15 Nucas

well that plus why bother? it already supports widescreen natively, has shader effects and so on. any attempt to make it look better than that is beyond the scope of what beamdog ever does.

i've never replayed the NWN1 OC, it's just so bad, but i've come back to Hordes of the Underdark several times. same for 2's Mask of the Betrayer. i'd honestly say both rank among their respective companies' best works.

News Comments > David Gaider Leaves Beamdog
9. Re: David Gaider Leaves Beamdog Feb 10, 2018, 23:35 Nucas

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 10, 2018, 20:38:
Sales of that new expansion they did might have turned them off. Might have turned Gaider off as well, because of the story/character controversies. We've had word stuff like Tyranny undersold as well, so there's still a question I guess as to how much gas there is in the classic Western RPG tank outside of Pillars of Eternity.

david gaider has a history of telling babies to fuck off, so i doubt it was the 'controversy' (from one merchant npc that mentions they were born the other way, if you ask).

tyranny i think is a cut and dried case of paradox marketing the game with fucking pocket money. i love obsidian and pillars of eternity and i didn't even know what tyranny was until like a month after it was released. the way the publisher handled the release was complete bullshit.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Feb 10, 2018, 16:26 Nucas

Stormsinger wrote on Feb 10, 2018, 15:20:
I'm still amazed that anyone who considers themselves to be a writer at -any- level would call paper a natural material. That's one fucked up vocabulary, someone should introduce him to a dictionary.

it reminds me of mommy bloggers advising their herds to switch to maple syrup instead of sugar, because it's "natural". it just belies a kind of simple minded, uninformed train of thought.

News Comments > David Gaider Leaves Beamdog
4. Re: David Gaider Leaves Beamdog Feb 10, 2018, 11:06 Nucas

i always thought it was kind of weird that gaider was at beamdog at all; he left bioware saying he was ready to do something new, then joined a company that does nothing but root through bioware's back catalog (which isn't to say i haven't enjoyed their releases).

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 9, 2018, 19:46:
I wonder what will happen to whatever BG3-ish thing Beamdog was working on supposedly, if their creative director had to/wanted to quit.

were they working on such a thing? as i recall, the original plan for bg3 became throne of bhaal. then there was the "baldur's gate 3" in name only that black isle was working on before interplay went belly up.

News Comments > Vampyr in June
1. Re: Vampyr in June Feb 8, 2018, 23:48 Nucas

i can't be the only one hyped for this release, can i?  

News Comments > Conarium for macOS and Linux
1. Re: Conarium for macOS and Linux Feb 6, 2018, 03:47 Nucas

has anyone played this? i was meaning to pick it up (before my pc exploded). amid the flood of indie titles calling themselves "lovecraftian", it appeared to be the only one really deserving of the label at first blush.  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2018, 12:54 Nucas

that dodge ad didn't, like bother me, but the whole time i was watching it i couldn't help but wonder how people who make a show of blowing martin luther king would actually react to him today, considering a football player kneeling before the flag at the advice of a special forces soldier is the end of the fucking world. particularly since i was watching the game with a typical american 'conservative' who literally cancelled her NFL ticket thing because of it.

i thought the t-mobile commercial showing a bunch of babies of different races with the excessively enthusiastic VO about how THEY WILL DEMAND TO BE CONNECTED, AND EQUAL RIGHTS AND STUFF was way more extra, personally.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 5, 2018, 00:02 Nucas

jdreyer wrote on Feb 4, 2018, 23:39:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 4, 2018, 22:33:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 4, 2018, 22:32:
Mega Sportsball is over...and the commercials were downright boring.
I agree, I thought it was an especially bad year for commercials, done of them were memorable...

I dunno, I thought the Tide one was clever.

the tide ones got laughs in my house, but maybe because we just started watching stranger things like 2 days ago.

my main thought after seeing that win was "maybe there's hope that I'll get to play half life 3 before I die."

News Comments > Valve's Cliffe Arrested; Suspended
36. Re: Valve's Cliffe Arrested; Suspended Feb 2, 2018, 21:38 Nucas

PacoTaco wrote on Feb 2, 2018, 18:46:
Let's hope this is some sort of mistake and this game developer is found innocent of these charges. If it is true he should be killed like all pedophiles should be.

apparently he was hooking up with and recording some 16 year old girl he met on seeking arrangement, that creepy gussied up escourt service.

where does this fall on your morality scale, judge dredd

News Comments > Anthem Delayed for New Battlefield Game in October
10. Re: Anthem Delayed for New Battlefield Game in October Jan 31, 2018, 15:40 Nucas

didn't jason schreier break the delay story? i'm significantly more inclined to believe his sources over ea's PR doubletalk. this is probably the only guy in the games entertainment business who justifies the term 'journalist'.  

News Comments > MS Acquisition Rumor Targets include EA, Valve, & PUBG
33. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Jan 30, 2018, 02:45 Nucas

Kajetan wrote on Jan 30, 2018, 01:53:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 23:06:
I don't see any of these being plausible except for BlueHole. Valve is huge and they make a ton of money from Steam. They basically own PC as a gaming platform and have no reason to sell. EA is also huge and makes a lot of money from supporting multiple platforms, the biggest of which is likely PS4. Selling to MS doesn't really make sense for them either.
Valve is a privately held company where the owner has a "history" with MS. Not impossible, only very unlikely.

well, until the ownership wants to retire. that's the usual cycle, right?

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2018, 01:10 Nucas

YourNick wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 17:12:
Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour has the true perspective option, no more y-shearing hack that it and Heretic/Hexen had.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/434050/discussions/0/348293220582629791/

20 dollars

lol

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2018, 01:04 Nucas

shiho wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 17:09:
I wrote a crack for DWANGO which got me a cease-and-desist letter from their law firm. DWANGO had a 30-minute trial which identified your PC by its hard drive serial number or a similar variable (its been a while).

I found a way to change this variable. So you run my program, it changes the identifier, becomes a TSR (stays in memory), DWANGO launches, the program automatically travels through all the boxes and signs up for a new trial account using random names and addresses (and phone numbers which were mostly valid), and you're in.

i love hearing about this kind of stuff.
how'd they link it to you? did they trace suspicious activity back to your original account or did you distribute it?

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2018, 11:13 Nucas

damn, 21 years and i've still never played a single second of duke nukem 3d.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 26, 2018, 11:17 Nucas

the very same thing happened to me, delivery-wise. i noticed earlier deliveries coincided with getting a new mail carrier. i kind of wonder if they have any autonomy in choosing their routes, or maybe the old one was parking behind a Valero and reading Proust and drinking bourbon for like 3 hours a day or something and was finally fired.  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire in April; Preorders Begin
8. Re: Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire in April; Preorders Begin Jan 26, 2018, 11:15 Nucas

this is the game i'm most excited for in 2018, personally.

the developers have been pretty clear about the failures of the first game; the inconsistency in the pacing, the scattershot storytelling (namely going into production without a story even really nailed down), the problem of jamming in stretch goal items that ultimately didn't fit. it seems they learned their lessons from it well.

i still liked it but much like baldur's gate 1, i only ever played it once and thought that was enough. here's hoping for the baldur's gate 2 type experience that i revisit like 30 times.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 23, 2018, 01:40 Nucas

1badmf wrote on Jan 22, 2018, 17:15:
too bad zimmer doesn't have half of john williams' gift for composition. zimmer's music is all variations of three or four chords with a barf-inducing BLARRRRRRRGH mixed in. he makes it sound good, i'll give him that, but listen to his work next to williams' superman theme or empire strikes back and the difference in musical complexity is obvious, even to a layman.

i honestly don't think i've ever seen a comment from you that wasn't utterly generic regurgitation of a pre-existing and incorrect popularly held opinion.

785 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo