Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nucas

Real Name Nucas   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Nucas
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description mayor of FUNKVILLE, BABY!!!
Homepage http://
Signed On May 10, 2008, 04:00
Total Comments 654 (Apprentice)
User ID 49584

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Sep 6, 2017, 02:42 Nucas

this project's whole premise appears to be "what if you suddenly woke up in the world Zdislaw Beksinski made paintings of?" and it is really, really scratching an itch i didn't know i had.

the way this game is being funded is kind of weird.. they say they had a 'financial partnership' with humble bundle (and apparently they signed some kind of publishing agreement with them about 6 months ago), but they just need more money to "polish the game" for another year?

that said, it's a solid looking pitch, and it looks poised to cruise right into its goal. i might have to back this project myself, it's just too wild looking not to and 17 clams ain't bad.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month
23. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 4, 2017, 02:27 Nucas

Suppa7 wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 01:47:
It was over as soon as the first server locked game appeared. All the stupid bullshit exists because there is no free market in our world.

i mean, i guess. they definitely started taking more liberties in the mid 2000s, with "limited game activations"and so on.

but really you can say "it was all over" the first time someone bought any game with a EULA. this industry has always tried to make it clear to users they're paying money for a license, not buying a product. they've just gotten better at holding the leash.

News Comments > Songbringer Released
9. Re: Songbringer Released Sep 4, 2017, 01:55 Nucas

saluk wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 11:44:
Whereas for me, that's like my dream game. It's never been done well. Binding of Isaac was more bullet hell than zelda. And the theme was not very appealing, although it had character. The best version of this idea right now I can think of are the rom randomizers for the old zelda games, but I'd love to play a new game intentionally designed for that. I'm not sure about this game though. It has a trying too hard to be edgy vibe that's kinda rubbing me the wrong way. I'm still willing to give it a shot, if I remember it the next time I'm buying a new game.

Which, sure, isn't that likely.

honestly you're probably right. i should really be less cynical about these things. i guess this is the chance indie devs take when they jump in a saturated market with buzzword features, people are going to pre-judge and put their product in a box. i'll have to watch this one for a sale, too. if nothing else, it sure is a looker.

News Comments > Black Isle Studios Postmortem
4. Re: Black Isle Studios Postmortem Sep 4, 2017, 01:48 Nucas

definitely. sometimes i think i'm just being nostalgic but when i objectively step back and just look at the titles released from 97 through 2000, it really was just an absolute avalanche of groundbreaking titles, many of which still stand their ground today. i guess it makes sense, it really was the wild west back then, everyone was trying to push forward technology and try new gameplay conventions, whole genres were born. and i guess the publishing scene hadn't yet been monopolized. or i don't know, maybe i am just talking out of my ass, i can't pretend to be impartial.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 3, 2017, 02:49 Nucas

bigspender wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 23:24:
Obesity report: One-third of U.S. adults are beyond overweight.

Easy and effortless fix. Eat yourself thin

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1008343.Foods_That_Cause_You_to_Lose_Weight

https://www.amazon.com/Starch-Solution-Regain-Health-Weight/dp/1623360277

Worked for me
Coincidentally cures heart-disease, erectile dysfunction and diabetes too. It's so simple you'll facepalm yourself :-)

mate, that's mostly bullshit. the negative calorie food thing is so bunk even livestrong manages to get it right. that book was written by a psychiatrist, not a dietician.

for weight loss, it's calories in, calories out. that's it. everyone's heard about professor twinkie by now, right?

if you lost weight on that, i'm happy for you, but it's because the "negative calorie foods" he talks up just so happen to be filling, fibrous vegetables with low calorie totals.

and high carb/low fat diets are junk science from the 70s. fats are critical. you need a balance. high carb diets don't cure heart disease or diabetes, there's evidence they literally cause them. in particular a lot of carby foods have terrible glycemic index values that can really do a number on your blood sugar and insulin levels.

if you prefer books, which seems to be the case, give this one a try. "fats=bad" thinking is misguided and it's not doing your body any favors. you can lose weight doing that stuff, sure; that professor lost 27 pounds eating twinkies. losing weight and living a healthy lifestyle are only sometimes the same thing. sorry for the wall of text here but that starch diet thing is one of the most fucked fad diets i've ever seen.

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 2017, 03:47.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 3, 2017, 02:27 Nucas

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 22:21:
The new free spying dx12 exclusives shiny has wore off.
And just when I was thinking of downgrading to 10, not.
Did gamers all of a sudden have an epiphany.

it ultimately doesn't matter. ryzen/kaby lake and onward are officially unsupported by windows 7. i've seen people playing the games to get win7 installed and updated regardless, but it's a losing battle.

it sucks, i only use a pc at home for games anymore, and windows 10 seems to make it actively less convenient to do that; but eventually we'll all be running it when it's upgrade time.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 2, 2017, 17:40 Nucas

jdreyer wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 11:42:
Huge Asteroid 'Florence' Zooms Past Earth in Record-Breaking Flyby.

It's a shame we don't have a space program. We could have rendezvoused with the asteroid as it flew past.

well what's the point of that? how is that supposed to increase shareholder revenue, the absolute zenith of human achievement?

News Comments > Songbringer Released
4. Re: Songbringer Released Sep 2, 2017, 17:05 Nucas

this looks really, really gorgeous in motion. it actually genuinely rings of games from the 90s; like it's actually trying to push the boundaries of the art style and make the most of it, like the games had to back then, and not just putting on a retro-game suit.

that said, whether it clicks with you or not seems to depend on if "procedurally generated roguelike zelda" appeals to you. at this point that collection of words doesn't even get an eye roll from me anymore, just bored contempt.

Suppa7 wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 09:10:
The reality is most people are mediocre at what they do and hence most games are reflections of that.
this was extra funny to me because you fucked up an url link in your post.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 2, 2017, 02:16 Nucas

jdreyer wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 14:06:
RE: Osteen. I love how a supposed Christian pastor has to be shamed into being charitable and helping people.

what's really deranged is i get the impression from things he's said that - in his own warped way - he's a true believer. i think he really believes god has rewarded him with a 10.5 million dollar home and 12,000 dollar suits and that the people beneath him should pray harder.

it's that unique strain of american christianity that was hijacked by 'conservative' capitalist social-darwinism values in the 80s. "just desserts" and all that.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Sep 2, 2017, 02:11 Nucas

mankind divided is worth 15 bucks if you don't mind the idea of finishing it, and wondering "well that was abrupt, where's the rest?", then finding out square enix canceled the second half and 'retired' the IP. other than that, great experience.  

News Comments > Morning Previews
6. Re: Morning Previews Sep 2, 2017, 02:07 Nucas

El Pit wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 10:29:
Still not sure yet, though, that LT will get a real release either. We'll see. It is a very interesting snail race!

i mean did you read the update? it's not vague platitudes, it's significant milestones. my interest level on this title just shot way, way up.

News Comments > QUAKE Development History Dispute
34. Re: QUAKE Development History Dispute Sep 1, 2017, 00:00 Nucas

Jivaro wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 18:26:
Guys getting older remember the same shit differently, news @ 11.

shocker.

i'm 10 times more inclined to believe romero. the guy truly loves video games, all video games, and is a dedicated archivist. names, dates, appointments, emails, design docs; source code, art assets, work in progress files. check out the noclip profile on him that visits his home.

i also think his goodwill with the community at large speaks for itself. off the top of my head, when a coder was trying to get daikatana fixed up and shot an email to him asking for help, romero posted a hard drive to him with the source code and other development assets.

throw in mcgee, and carmack's diplomatic yet pointed rebuttal, and there's no ambiguity in this for me at all. apparently willits, the fat jason alexander looking motherfucker from the hidden hall under the makron in quake 2, is a narcissist lying cunt.

News Comments > Life is Strange: Before the Storm Episode 1
2. Re: Life is Strange: Before the Storm Episode 1 Aug 31, 2017, 23:46 Nucas

Midnight wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 21:39:
No Ashly Burch, no sale.

not the original writers, no sale.

also kind of hated how these fanfic writers were trying to wallpaper over not getting the voice cast back by just saying "lol we didn't even notice, are there new actors??" pretending the actors were irrelevant to the original game is douchey as fuck.

News Comments > Survived By Announced
13. Re: Survived By Announced Aug 31, 2017, 05:35 Nucas

a revival of rune, their only IP, and now a pixel art 'roguelite' (urrgh, i can taste bile). human head studios must really be against the wall but at least they're trying; it's hard to be an independent studio anymore.  

News Comments > The Division Free Content This Fall
2. Re: The Division Free Content This Fall Aug 31, 2017, 02:08 Nucas

i'm honestly surprised this game is still going, it looked so content light at release i was surprised it was being position as a long term title at all.  

News Comments > Starway Fleet Launches
4. Re: Starway Fleet Launches Aug 30, 2017, 18:16 Nucas

competent mechanics. call me when there's core gameplay beyond quake 1 deathmatch-level.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Creation Club Beta
13. Re: Fallout 4 Creation Club Beta Aug 30, 2017, 01:42 Nucas

Cutter wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 11:54:
premium shit will kill off the scene because then everyone will be feeling entitled that they deserve to be paid for this.

so your position is that it's dangerous to let modders know that maybe they can ask for money for their work because you'd like to keep getting quality content for free? what an asshole.

News Comments > X4: Foundations Announced
30. Re: X4: Foundations Announced Aug 29, 2017, 06:27 Nucas

this may seem like a dumb thing to criticize, but these guys should really stop subtitling every fuckin' product and just make the line up clear.

i mean there were, what, like three or four games last generation called "X3: something something". as a casual observer i was never sure what was what. base game? expansion? stand alone expansion? i tangentially considered picking up the series more than once as a lover of space sims, but the lineup was confusing to me. any other game series i might have tried to dig and figure it out, but the years-long mixed-to-negative reputation (i mean i have literally never seen a comment thread anywhere that just said "great game!", it's always just like this one, complaints and talking about some bygone days when the games were supposedly good) always finished the job of killing any interest.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2017, 14:16 Nucas

i had a friend a few years back who was a nuclear engineer. he considered thorium reactors to be kind of pie in the sky; but he was very excited about "generation IV" reactors, which are so efficient they even consume what is traditionally discarded as 'nuclear waste'. what little they produce is only dangerous for decades, not the thousands of years that is typical. unfortunately while more efficient, their total raw output was lower, and the plants themselves are sophisticated and expensive. and humanity - being a party animal - will not give a fuck about making it a public works priority until its too late. have to keep those quarterly profit increases going!

i had some point when i started writing this but i've forgotten it. i'll conclude by saying, have you had cream of wheat lately? i can't believe i forgot how delicious this stuff is

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 28, 2017, 13:46 Nucas

i replayed SiN for the first time in maybe 15 years yesterday. i'm genuinely surprised how excellent it really is as a game, it holds up just as well as any classic in it's own right with some sharp design and gameplay.

but i'm really surprised i never noticed back in the 90s how half the computer screens in the game have Blue's News pulled up on them. man i miss the wild west days of game design sometimes.

654 Comments. 33 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo