Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nucas

Real Name Nucas   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Nucas
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description mayor of FUNKVILLE, BABY!!!
Homepage http://
Signed On May 10, 2008, 04:00
Total Comments 526 (Apprentice)
User ID 49584

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Life is Strange Sequel Plans
3. Re: Life is Strange Sequel Plans Nov 9, 2015, 06:24 Nucas

simplistic telltale-games/dreamfall-esque gameplay but a great script with a solid emotional core.

glad i waited for it all to release before i played.. every episode ended with a serious wham.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda N7 Day Trailer
20. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda N7 Day Trailer Nov 8, 2015, 07:18 Nucas

Creston wrote on Nov 7, 2015, 21:39:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 7, 2015, 19:34:
+1 to everything you said but, for better or worse, Drew Karpyshyn joined the BioWare Austin studio (SWTOR) and not the folks in Canada who are working on MEA.

Well shit...

I would not give him too much credit anyway. ME2 was pretty damn good but the writing of ME1 and KotOR, which he also was involved in, was nothing to write home about (yes, pun intended Wink ).

I quite liked both ME1 and KotOR. I actually thought the story in ME1 was better than the story of ME2. In any case, he'd still be a thousand times better than that fuckwallet Mac Walters.

i don't know how a dumbfuck like walters is calling any shots when you've got people like patrick weekes on the team.

i liked the overarching plot of ME2 the best, it's just too bad every salient plot point is dropped. collectors are making a human reaper on their own (despite this apparently being the function of the reapers) because..? they experiment on unusual races because..? stars are dying because..?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2015, 18:58 Nucas

"Dying Fan Sees "Force Awakens" Early."

i may find his movies soulless but jj abrams seems like a great person. he did the same thing with a fan of star trek; personally went to the guy's house to screen it for him 5 months early.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops III Released
26. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops III Released Nov 6, 2015, 18:54 Nucas

Razumen wrote on Nov 6, 2015, 15:16:
Is it strange that I'm a little more excited for this than FO4? I mean there seems to be so much new stuff in this game, whereas FO4 just looks like more of the same in a tired old engine.

bethesda has been making the same game over and over for 14 years. the public has yet to tire of the formula, though.

i'll pick it up in 6 months after a community hopefully gets rolling and fixes it.

News Comments > New Star Citizen Alpha
34. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Oct 25, 2015, 07:07 Nucas

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 20:43:
DangerDog wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 20:02:
Nucas wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 19:06:
Lorcin wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 18:52:
loomy wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 18:35:
both games are utterly incomplete

Nah elite delivered what it promised - an updated version of the classic. It even tacked on some multiplayer.

In terms of Elite vs Elite Dangerous it's a huge leap forward and a complete update of the original game.

Unfortunately gamers expect way more these days - but ED did deliver what was promised for me.

all i expected was what they said they would deliver during the kickstarter: a campaign. that was all i wanted. then they announced ONE MONTH before shipping that the plans were scrapped. i then collected my refund and moved on.

I don't remember that, wast it some sort of stretch goal? I must have backed it before that came up.

It never came up. Just another guy with severe reading comprehension issues who hit the pledge button before doing even the tiniest bits of research and who obviously had no clue whatsoever about prior games in the series.

Frontier promised offline play which unfortunately did not happen but they never promised a (single player) campaign or anything of the sort. The KS website specifically talks of a sandbox and re-imagining the original Elite where you have 100cr and a spaceship and carve your own path in the galaxy... exploring, mining, bounty-hunting, trading, running missions etc.
You can do all of that in E:D and there actually is story content, too, albeit not in traditional campaign form.

P.S.: Kickstarter websites can not be edited after the campaign has ended so before anyone else wants to make a fool of themselves by accusing Frontier of not delivering stuff they never promised please get your facts straight and check for yourselves, thanks!

offline was what i was referring to when i said "campaign". oops! i typed the wrong thing, you got me. but if you've got it in your head that your dick simply must be swung around because of this important video games stuff that you have internalized, then carry on. the incorrect word use should give you fuel for pages of needlessly antagonizing drivel on this subject you are just so worked up about, i simply can't wait, but it has no bearing on this game promising an offline component from the beginning then cancelling it one month before release which is what the fuck i was talking about and what you were tiptoeing around with your "oh well yeah there were like CHANGES" nonsense. they said one thing, did another, i got my money back and forgot about it, and for every game on the internet there will be some angry asshole making excuses for it like it's his fucking kid.

This comment was edited on Oct 25, 2015, 07:18.

News Comments > New Star Citizen Alpha
17. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Oct 24, 2015, 19:06 Nucas

Lorcin wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 18:52:
loomy wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 18:35:
both games are utterly incomplete

Nah elite delivered what it promised - an updated version of the classic. It even tacked on some multiplayer.

In terms of Elite vs Elite Dangerous it's a huge leap forward and a complete update of the original game.

Unfortunately gamers expect way more these days - but ED did deliver what was promised for me.

all i expected was what they said they would deliver during the kickstarter: a campaign. that was all i wanted. then they announced ONE MONTH before shipping that the plans were scrapped. i then collected my refund and moved on.

News Comments > Halo 5 PC Possibilities
38. Re: Halo 5 PC Possibilities Oct 24, 2015, 19:04 Nucas

Great White Shark wrote on Oct 24, 2015, 12:23:
Halo 5 is NOT coming to PC: https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/657582106042732544

From the horses mouth.

unsurprising.

News Comments > Halo 5 PC Possibilities
35. Re: Halo 5 PC Possibilities Oct 24, 2015, 01:36 Nucas

ha! what a bunch of bullshit. they've said this for every game since 3. (alternating between these announcements and the annual "microsoft is committed to pc gaming" bluster) i don't know why they bother with the pretense.

i actually loved halo on pc, wish i could have played them all. fighting felt solid, cool story, tight controls (once you killed the always on mouse acceleration)

News Comments > Game of Thrones: A Telltale Games Series Ends Next Month
6. Re: Game of Thrones: A Telltale Games Series Ends Next Month Oct 24, 2015, 01:33 Nucas

Bundy wrote on Oct 21, 2015, 20:53:
Nucas wrote on Oct 21, 2015, 17:38:
Bundy wrote on Oct 21, 2015, 14:26:
I had high hopes for this game but was immensely disappointed with it. They took Martin's "the good guys sometimes lose the battle" trope way too far. You lose every single damn time. No matter what choices you make or how successful your QTE reflexes are. In the end, something will happen and your character and their family will be worse off. In one of the last chapters you even had the option to "stab Ramsey". I laughed, knowing that it didn't matter Ramsey was looking the other way, or that his men were way beyond reach. Something would happen that would prevent the stabbing. And I was right.

Regret my purchase with this series.

to be fair, the show totally went off the deep end with that too. it used to be a story that wouldn't cheat to let the good guys win - it's now a story that cheats to make sure they lose.

I'm one of those book elitists whose known all the events on the show for a few years now. They're handled a bit better in the novels than the show. Mostly in that there's more story around each of the events that show why it plays out in that particular way. But I do recall throwing the book across the room a few times. Usually after some jackass dumb choice a protagonaist makes that u know will get them killed. The events around Meereen in the last novel were particularly bad.

at least in the books the best swordsman in westeros wasn't stabbed to death in an alley by a bunch of rich aristocrats' kids and the best battlefield commander on the continent didn't lead an army out of formation to its death. oh, and murder his daughter. those changes were cheap, and felt devoid of impact as such.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Sells 500K Copies
17. Re: Pillars of Eternity Sells 500K Copies Oct 24, 2015, 01:28 Nucas

Jerykk wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 23:02:
Cutter wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 19:53:
Given what a disappointment the game was they won't see sales like that again. And it's PoE, Path of Exile is PoEx.

Hmm... a quick glance at Metacritic shows a critic average of 89 and a user average of 8.4. On Steam, almost 5000 people gave PoE a positive review, with the overall rating being "Very Positive." Given these facts, I fail to see how PoE is a disappointment.

On a more relevant note, these numbers seem low. According to SteamSpy, there are about 550k owners on Steam alone. Throw in GOG and I'd expect total sales to be at least 600k.

ahh, that answers the question i was going to ask: how much of that 500k was backer redemptions? apparently 0 given the total number of owners. half a mil isn't bad for a "dead" genre.

hopefully enough for a followup. it was a solid BG1-esque entry (feeling out their weirdo game mechanics and setting).. now that they've got a feel for it all, it's time for the masterpiece BG2-esque sequel.

News Comments > Game of Thrones: A Telltale Games Series Ends Next Month
4. Re: Game of Thrones: A Telltale Games Series Ends Next Month Oct 21, 2015, 17:38 Nucas

Bundy wrote on Oct 21, 2015, 14:26:
I had high hopes for this game but was immensely disappointed with it. They took Martin's "the good guys sometimes lose the battle" trope way too far. You lose every single damn time. No matter what choices you make or how successful your QTE reflexes are. In the end, something will happen and your character and their family will be worse off. In one of the last chapters you even had the option to "stab Ramsey". I laughed, knowing that it didn't matter Ramsey was looking the other way, or that his men were way beyond reach. Something would happen that would prevent the stabbing. And I was right.

Regret my purchase with this series.

to be fair, the show totally went off the deep end with that too. it used to be a story that wouldn't cheat to let the good guys win - it's now a story that cheats to make sure they lose.

News Comments > Star Citizen Status Update
137. Re: Star Citizen Status Update Oct 21, 2015, 17:23 Nucas

all this just makes me remember how derek smart was talking about trying to purchase the FreeSpace license when the publisher went belly up. thank fuck that never happened.  

News Comments > StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Preloads
2. Re: StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Preloads Oct 17, 2015, 22:38 Nucas

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 17, 2015, 13:29:
considering how shit poor internet is in some places giving a few weeks to download it is always a good thing.
and potentially cut down on a diablo-3-launch style debacle.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Win 10 upgrades Oct 17, 2015, 04:18 Nucas

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 23:55:
Haha! It was "accidental" the Windows Update automatically selected the "optional" Win 10 OS upgrade. Sure it was an accident.. and the check is the mail, and I promise not to come in your mouth..

tactful

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode Three Sets Dubious Record; HL3 Clue in Dota 2?
26. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode Three Sets Dubious Record; HL3 Clue in Dota 2? Oct 13, 2015, 11:35 Nucas

ForgedReality wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 19:54:
This video from March mentions HL3 as part of the Rubikon (Havok's physics engine replacement) testing tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTC0V0LWeGI

Probably all this hl3.txt file refers to, as DOTA 2 is now on the Source 2 engine, which incorporates Rubikon.

i don't think any of us really thought this was referring to half life but that's a sharp catch

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode Three Sets Dubious Record; HL3 Clue in Dota 2?
20. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode Three Sets Dubious Record; HL3 Clue in Dota 2? Oct 12, 2015, 14:12 Nucas

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 13:54:
Wallshadows wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 13:16:
Half-Life isn't even a great series. I never understood the hype around it then and certainly not now...

Zips up the flame suit

Well, I think HL1 deserves some credit for being the first real story-driven shooter with a AAA production budget, merging the gameplay and a rather spectacular cinematic feel at the time. Other shooters back then were mostly just that... shoot'em ups. Heck, id admitted that their MO was to create all the levels first and to think up a "story" connecting them later.

However, over the years we've seen many, many more story-driven shooters and today it's the norm. Even CoD and BF have campaigns with stories and then there is the good stuff, of course, like Deus Ex, Dishonored, BioShock, F.E.A.R and so on.
The world does not really need Gordon Freeman anymore and it is true that the HL story does not stand out as particularly interesting after all these years when compared to many other games that have come out in the meantime.

to each his own. i still like the idea of the accidental planemeld, humanity thrust into an ancient war against technological godheads that re-purpose every defeated race into a new set of tools; then the episodes made it a much more personal and character driven (for 2005) affair.

it's also still one of the few games i can think of where the heroes are scientists fighting toe-to-toe on the aliens own terms - technology and intellect. not some left-over military-styled infrastructure. though gordon freeman was apparently BORN to put aliens in the fucking ground.

News Comments > Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed
53. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 11, 2015, 20:31 Nucas

Drayth wrote on Oct 11, 2015, 20:20:
Give Derek credit, he's been completely cool, collected and civil through out all of this. Not at all obsessive.

holy fuck is he crazy. i've been tangentially following this and i wasn't aware he was this obsessed with tearing star citizen down. he probably made time in his schedule for this (pushed back eating cereal in his boxers)

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Developers of Mysterious Wifatch Malware Come Forward. Oct 10, 2015, 03:54 Nucas

interesting story of infosec vigilantism. not super sophisticated, but interesting.  

News Comments > CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit
82. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 13:51 Nucas

MajorD wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 13:46:
This whole things is laughable!

i was going to post some wordy thing but this really sums it up. terrible article by a terrible website, hilariously overblown response with minimal chance to succeed.

News Comments > Star Citizen Employees "Speak Out"
86. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 2, 2015, 07:44 Nucas

Peeeling wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 06:27:
(Originally posted in article comments. Re-iterating here with a few changes.)

It's heartbreaking to see people still trying to deny the obvious: Star Citizen is not happening. It's not about this article - I don't need anonymous sources or angry rival devs or horror stories about crazy management to tell me what I already know just from looking at the product itself.

i think "it's not happening" is going a bit far. chris roberts mismanaged digital anvil in the same way, introducing the same kind of feature creep into freelancer and that game was eventually released as an entertaining action-adventure space shooter romp - taken on it's own merits without considering the hype bullshit. though yes, it took a firm hand to take control of the situation from the self-styled-auteur "leadership" of roberts to make it happen.

i could see the same happening with star citizen if the egos involved manage to not pull a ken levine and say "this place is nothing without me, LIGHTS OUT". i mean there would be a requisite reduction in scope, of course - pare down the various ancillary gameplay modes to really minimal levels (basically just interjection type gameplay), put the space combat element front and center.

will the studio remain solvent? that's another matter.

526 Comments. 27 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo