Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Nucas

Real Name Nucas   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Nucas
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description mayor of FUNKVILLE, BABY!!!
Homepage http://
Signed On May 10, 2008, 04:00
Total Comments 658 (Apprentice)
User ID 49584

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Oct 23, 2017, 11:55 Nucas

NegaDeath wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 11:36:
I swear I heard this a decade ago-ish.
almost 2. all started in earnest with the rise of quake 3, unreal tournament and MMOs.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Oct 21, 2017, 14:30 Nucas

jdreyer wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 19:48:
Well, off they go to WikiLeaks and the NYT. Was that the intended consequence?

it's always so difficult to prepare for unforeseen consequences.

News Comments > On Sale
3. Re: On Sale Oct 21, 2017, 14:25 Nucas

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 21, 2017, 13:57:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 21, 2017, 00:25:
Excellent game. Like a more combat focused
action FTL with craftable mods and weapons with resource gathering and enemy looting. Full hotas support and plays great with gamepads and mouse and keyboard also.

What joystick/gamepad/HoTaS setup do you use? A lot of the reviews indicate the joystick/HoTaS support is less than stellar. I've been thinking about buying this game for awhile now, but I probably don't need another rogue-like rage-inducer. Especially if my Wingman ends up being wonky.

have you checked out House of the Dying Sun? its a bit more of a traditional type of sim with some mild fleet command elements.

i thought everspace was an ok time but the "roguelike" and "crafting" elements i just have to accept are something i'm allergic to. i'd wait for 50% off personally. the roguelike elements are very lightweight though, there's no real permadeath or negative repercussions for dying.

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
1. Re: Saturday Interviews Oct 21, 2017, 13:57 Nucas

when i clicked this link i was thinking to myself "please don't be sarah schachner". too bad. it truly mystifies me that she keeps getting work, but ubisoft and activision seem to like their music drab and affordable nowadays.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 20, 2017, 13:28 Nucas

it's all part of steam's cosmic background though, "sincere" intent or no; i find a lot of times when i click someone's name in a discussion thread their profiles will be filled with nazi iconography, nazi or pro-trump themed groups, "FILL STEAM WITH WINDMILLS" swastika comments, etc. it's just everywhere, it's normalized, and "LOL ITS JUST A PRANK!!" doesn't hold water. it's a really fucking bad idea to mix satire with sincerely held beliefs. the character is supposed to represent that divide.

the ones i find truly baffling are the russians with SS or Wolfsangel symbols with their geneology listed as their profile description.

like, guys, did they not teach you about the great patriotic war in school? it doesn't matter if you're 23% norwegian, you're still a slavic subhuman in the eyes of real nazis you fucking morons.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
11. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 18, 2017, 05:24 Nucas

Muscular Beaver wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 10:01:
words words words

it sounds like what's at issue here is that you want to just say whatever pops into your head, without consequence; and other people should just "get over it".

the fact that people say "wow, what as asshole" when you call people faggot in a video game is, to you, a sea change of "PC culture"?

here's what's really going on. you're free to say whatever you want. those people you're inflicting your drivel on are also free to interpret it however they want, and tell you you're being a fuckhead. that's all. demanding they "just get it", or "get over it" and just stay quiet rather than give you a response you don't like is the attitude of a literal child.

you judge yourself by your intentions (i'm just joking! what's the big deal!), other people judge you by your actions (they see and hear someone calling strangers a faggot on the internet and are not obligated to calibrate their response after a consultation with you on your 'jokey' intent).

here's the other side of the coin: when the gaming press and others declared gamer gate was a bunch of racist misogynists, and that "gamers" were dead, the shrill caterwauling from "real gamers" was deafening. what's the big deal? "gamer" is just a word, right? maybe gamergate should just Get Over It™.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 18, 2017, 03:47 Nucas

well that is what the article says, yes - fat people, and apparently some hipster women who purport to speak for all women claiming that listing calorie burn specifically targets girls.

it closes with a vapid tweet from ars technica's casey johnston (no doubt made from the back of portland starbucks on her macbook): "any woman could have told you this is a supremely bad thing a) to do b) to not be able to turn off". i cannot stand when companies accede to the mewling of twitter's meager hipster population. those people aren't normal. for god's sake, just ignore them.

i think it was a good idea, just too in your face as-is, and needs an off switch. and of course based on the screenshots it looks like it was grossly over-estimating the total calorie burn which has it's own host of problems.

News Comments > South Park: The Fractured But Whole Released
6. Re: South Park: The Fractured But Whole Released Oct 18, 2017, 03:33 Nucas

does anyone else tune out "comedy games" or is it just me?

i think it may be an inherent fault of mine, though. i realized tonight when i was browsing netflix that i never really seek out stand-up, 'funny' movies, etc. like i'll watch it if it's on and have a chuckle but in general i'd rather take in other things if given the choice.

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Launch Trailer
6. Re: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Launch Trailer Oct 18, 2017, 03:29 Nucas

i will feel absolutely no compunctions about paying 59.99 for this directly through steam. the first was, for me, a half-life 2 level experience. just brilliant.

i loved the globe-trotting nature of the original though, i really hope this whole game isn't just the USA-bound Red Dawn stuff.

News Comments > Visceral Closing; Star Wars Game Changing Direction
17. Re: Visceral Closing; Star Wars Game Changing Direction Oct 18, 2017, 00:01 Nucas

Jerykk wrote on Oct 17, 2017, 22:59:
Open-world Star Wars confirmed.

This isn't really surprising, though. The linear, story-driven SP experience is on its way out.
people have been saying this since the 90s. i said it myself once, after quake 3 was released i think.

Publishers want you to play their games for as long as possible because it increases their opportunities to monetize. Linear, story-driven SP games don't have that kind of longevity.
publisher strategy for years has been burn and churn. annualized call of duty, annualized far cry, annualized assassin's creed, annualized battlefield bullshit.

you also say this on the heels of the two of the greatest years of singleplayer games in a decade; right below this post is the launch trailer for wolfenstein 2, a singleplayer sequel to one of the greatest singleplayer games of the last 15 years. even titanfall 2 opted to shift away from their previous strategy and develop a (surprisingly solid) singleplayer campaign to give their game some staying power.

i don't think there's been any real tide shift in games in a long time and this doesn't really indicate one either. this just seems par for the course to me for star wars nowadays. lucasfilm wants auteurs, hires auteurs, fires auteurs, and hires tony gilroys and ron howards to homogenize their bullshit. why should video games be any different.

besides visceral produced two good dead space games amidst literal decades of utter mediocrity. it sucks to see people lose their jobs of course but this wasn't "a great studio ripped to shreds by EA". did anyone here play this company's output recently? dead space 3? dante's infero? battlefield hardline? some fucking army of two dreck?

News Comments > Free DRM-Free Torchlight 1 & 2 for Owners
9. Re: Free DRM-Free Torchlight 1 & 2 for Owners Oct 12, 2017, 15:28 Nucas

Retired wrote on Oct 12, 2017, 12:49:
shul wrote on Oct 12, 2017, 09:57:
I own both games on steam. somebody please explain what good DRM Free versions will do me ?

If Steam were ever to go away. You have GOG.

to me it seems less a concern that steam will "go away", more valve inevitably being sold to EA (who already attempted a 1 billion dollar buyout a few years back) or some other megacorp when gabe newell dies of some obesity-related illness in the next 10 or so years. there are so many ways an actiblizzard or an EA could tear steam to shreds looking for that quick money and those mythical endless quarterly profit increases they just can't stop themselves from chasing.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
37. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2017, 01:23 Nucas

if memory serves, i pulled the IP address to my very first online experience - some quake 2 deathmatch - off blues news back in 97 or 98.  

News Comments > Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode
17. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 4, 2017, 14:41 Nucas

DrSquick wrote on Oct 4, 2017, 11:02:
Yeah I agree. I'm a horrible hoarder in games like Skyrim. So my first few play through were stressful that I had to constantly decide if I wanted to hoof it back to my house to save stuff or leave it on the ground. Once I learned about mods I installed one that dramatically changed weights, like making potions 0 weight; and then the game became much more fun for me.

i used to be like this in the infinity engine days. i owe it all to icewind dale 2 for finally snapping me out of it. towards the end of the game i was confronted by some high level baatezu, and went to speak to him, and he was essentially like "what can you offer me that's worth more than the pleasure of slaying you myself?" and i replied "plenty! perhaps i could offer you this dead dog? or this dead cat? i also have a dead man, or maybe a dead woman. i also have a dead child."

apparently in the course of playing and stuffing everything into my bags of holding i'd grabbed these corpses, since they were unique i thought "well maybe these will be handy later."

the demon just basically said "wow. why are you carrying that around? that's fucked up dude." and vanished.

that defining moment in 2002 was what finally freed me from pointlessly hoarding pointless digital goods, and now i quaff potions freely and happily use consumable goods. thank you, icewind dale 2.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2017, 01:28 Nucas

El Pit wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 10:39:
LOL! After Crystal Pepsi, now we get Meth 7Up! Coca Cola has always been Coke, so...

i'm actually kind of sad i missed out on crystal pepsi and new coke, but from what i've heard crystal pepsi just tasted the same and new coke tasted like pepsi.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Interactive Trailer
8. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Interactive Trailer Sep 19, 2017, 05:42 Nucas

Sempai wrote on Sep 18, 2017, 20:14:
While I agree with you to a point, the troubling part is publishers now requiring their development houses to shove this stuff into their projects, which then forces the dev to balance everything around transactions and loot boxes.

that's really not a foregone conclusion. mankind divided's devs stated the game was designed without microtransactions in mind, and it's pretty clear that is so when you play the game.

but i don't think shadow of war is going to turn out that way. this game has slowly gone from a must-buy to a wait-and-see for me. there's a clear attempt to streamline and normalize purchases in-game.

one-time-use DLC orcs you buy from a goblin hungrily rubbing his hands together was just a bridge too far for me. it's almost comically meta.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 19, 2017, 05:06 Nucas

kill net neutrality and get it over with. i'm sick of the political kabuki, and millennials thinking they're actually going to stop the unelected officials at the FCC from doing what trump hired them to do.

let the metering, bandwidth throttling and price hikes begin.

“The FCC seems dead set on killing net neutrality, but they have to answer to Congress, and Congress has to answer to us, their constituents,” said Evan Greer, campaign director for Fight for the Future

sure. too bad you can't get millennials engaged with boring midterm voting. i'm sure the enraged thread on reddit will have a lot of upvotes though.

News Comments > Call of Duty: WWII Story Trailer
5. Re: Call of Duty: WWII Story Trailer Sep 19, 2017, 04:36 Nucas

i've wanted to play a 'modern take' on the normandy landings pretty much every year for about 15 years now, so i was probably going to buy this game no matter what else it did.
i've never played a call of duty title online in my life.

News Comments > Op Ed
35. Re: Op Ed Sep 15, 2017, 21:25 Nucas

Dash wrote on Sep 15, 2017, 02:56:
You mean, way back, before all the current garbage started up, and people didn't pay attention to the characters as long as they were well-written, and not some checkbox in a diversity spreadsheet? Everything nowadays is suspect to agenda, where as before, it was 'whatever'.

"if a character is female it's because a 'diversity checkbox' is getting ticked, because the default setting for a character is male. except for games i grew up playing, they don't count."

come on, do you really not see what you're doing? where is this avalanche of games you're getting buried under being jammed full of 'unnecessary females'? why does there need to be a criteria to justify any character being anything? that's dumb.

i remember when dontnod was pitching Life is Strange, nobody wanted to publish it unless the characters were switched to boys. this is the reality of videogames, not your nightmare dystopia where there are female and minority characters in the videogames that don't deserve to be!!

News Comments > Dishonored: Death of the Outsider Released
8. Re: Dishonored: Death of the Outsider Released Sep 15, 2017, 16:23 Nucas

this is 20% off at green man gaming for anyone considering it.  

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Sep 15, 2017, 02:32 Nucas

if you listened to the other albums, i thought it was just as good as rise of iron.

i hate to say it but i've liked the music salvatore and the others have been producing better now that martin o'donnell is gone. i very rarely revist the original destiny album, but that could also be because it's like 3 fuckin' hours long and so little stands out as remarkable.

658 Comments. 33 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo