Descending
Limit Results:

61 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: Consolidation
Aug 24, 2009, 10:19
Re: Consolidation Aug 24, 2009, 10:19
Aug 24, 2009, 10:19

Is there an easy way to tell which iteration of the hardware you have?

I bought my 360 about a year after launch, so it may not be the first version, but it's still running just fine.

Re: StarCraft II LAN Still a Possibility
Aug 24, 2009, 10:16
Re: StarCraft II LAN Still a Possibility Aug 24, 2009, 10:16
Aug 24, 2009, 10:16

@Paketep:

Yeah. That guy's ranting, more than anything else, I think, has caused a lot of the Crysis hate.

Re: More on id and Linux
Aug 24, 2009, 10:14
Re: More on id and Linux Aug 24, 2009, 10:14
Aug 24, 2009, 10:14

Ah yes. The old "It doesn't fit my argument, so you're lying" defense. Nice.

Yes, I *am* making, more or less, an argument for dumb terminals. For a lot of users, that's really all they need.

What do my parents do with computers?

Browse the web.
Write and receive email
Keep financial records and do taxes.
Keep recipes, lists of movies owned, etc.
Import, manage, print, touch up, etc, photos from their digital camera.
Scan documents
Play simple games (Solitare, Chess, etc) and flash games
Watch DVDs (For some reason, despite having several good DVD players)
Rip CD and burn CDs

Everything on that list Linux can do out of the box *, if you will. What do they need to go to Best Buy or Walmart to buy?

As I said, earlier, before some people decided to pick a fight where none existed, Linux isn't perfect and doesn't do everything. But for a lot of desktop users, it actually does everything they need.

* Playing DVDs requires DVD codecs which aren't included in all free linux distros, but are in a few. And ARE included in virtually every commercial distro.

Re: Consolidation
Aug 24, 2009, 09:16
Re: Consolidation Aug 24, 2009, 09:16
Aug 24, 2009, 09:16

Same. And I didn't get pay too much for a shitty library of games to play on it.

Aug 24, 2009, 09:13
Re: StarCraft II LAN Still a Possibility Aug 24, 2009, 09:13
Aug 24, 2009, 09:13

Unfortunately if they handle it like it's sounding like they might, "Authorize once on b.net and then go local for that game", it still does nothing to help in situations where you aren't able to connect everyone to the internet. Which are, granted, getting less and less common. But it would at least allow for local lan play over a connection that otherwise couldn't support, say, four people or more at once.

Either way the publicity is hurting them. Particularly in Korea, I hear. Not that it will truly "Hurt" Blizzard, at least not in the immediate, "this release" time frame. They could release an empty box with a picture of a Zerg on it, call it "Star Craft 2", and it would still sell to SOMEONE. Even a half-assed, incompetent, bug-filled mess would sell stupid amounts. What will be interested is to see the *long term* effects, if they disperse a lot of the good will gamers are inclined to have for them.

Aug 24, 2009, 09:07
Re: More on id and Linux Aug 24, 2009, 09:07
Aug 24, 2009, 09:07

Given that my parents don't *need* Generic Application X, I'm not worried about it. As I said, the default install of Linux basically does everything they would ever do with a computer.

That said, I've cautioned them to check with me before buying off the shelf software if the issue ever arises. You might be surprised how many of those Generic Applications on DVD would run just fine. If it doesn't, there's almost assuredly an alternative (most likely free) that does what they need.

I'm aware of the market share percentages of Linux - you can toss out 2% all you like, but we aren't talking 2% of 100 people or something. 2% (and growing) of all computer desktops is still an impressive figure for something without, say Microsoft or Apple's money to throw at marketing, development, exclusive contracts with hardware makers, etc.

As far as the Vista-on-Netbooks argument, I wasn't even really thinking about netbooks when I brought up that argument. I was talking genuinely old computers that still "work" just fine, except for outdated software.

And I'm not interested in people "learning" anything. I'm not that sort of Linux idealist. I don't long for the "Good old days" when a computer user cut their teeth in command prompts and the like. Ideally they shouldn't have to. A desktop environment for the average user should involve as little learning as possible. That's why Windows and Mac are successful, in part. My parents shouldn't have to "learn linux". And thus far they haven't had to. They know how to operate the basic GUI paradigms well enough they could use a mac, windows, or linux desktop for day to day functions, once they learned what the icons and names of the apps were.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2009, 09:08.

Aug 24, 2009, 08:43
Re: StarCraft II LAN Still a Possibility Aug 24, 2009, 08:43
Aug 24, 2009, 08:43

I'm reasonably convinced that #33 played a different game than the rest of us. Even Crysis' supporters generally would stop short of "best FPS ever".

Aug 24, 2009, 08:07
Re: StarCraft II LAN Still a Possibility Aug 24, 2009, 08:07
Aug 24, 2009, 08:07

Strip away the pretty graphics and take a real look at Crysis. What do you get? A pile of steaming shit. Nothing more nothing less.

But hey its so PRETTY AND SHINY! I MUST HAVE IT!...Bleh....

Underneath the graphics, Crysis wasn't exactly "shit". It was just... unimpressive. Average. Mundane. With a few very jagged edges (AI, to some extent, and vehicles in all respects).

Crysis felt sort of like a kit car. Sure, it might look like you have Ferrari Testarossa... But underneath it's an old Chevy Camaro, so what's the point?

Aug 24, 2009, 08:00
Re: StarCraft II LAN Still a Possibility Aug 24, 2009, 08:00
Aug 24, 2009, 08:00

It was aiming for "realism" with a nano-tech Ninja Warrior suit and aliens. Uhuh.

Aug 24, 2009, 07:45
Re: More on id and Linux Aug 24, 2009, 07:45
Aug 24, 2009, 07:45

I never claimed a "Year of the linux desktop". I'm realistic enough to understand that isn't going to happen. At least, not anytime in the forseeable future. Not as some great revelation. But the fact is, Linux *is* being used as a Desktop OS, quite successfully, by many people. Including a number of non-technical ones. My parents, for example, who wouldn't be able to tell you the difference between RAM and a CPU if their life depended on it. Everything they need to do - browsing the web, watching videos online or from dvds, email, etc, it does just fine for them.

And with regards to "The average user can't set WINE up or doesn't want to"... This is true. But properly set up, WINE becomes nearly transparent. I can put a CD with windows software in it, install it, and run it, seamlessly. Provided it works under WINE at all, granted, but the list of "does" grows rapidly while the list of "does not" shrinks. The problem is, there are few distros that bother to preconfigure WINE.

Regarding system resources, sure, if you have a monster system, Windows might seem lightweight. But I can install Linux on seven year old laptop, and it still works fine. If you go for some of the specifically light-weight distros, Linux will work on some truly ancient hardware, by modern standards. And still provide you a modern, usable interface, with a modern web browser, media codecs, etc.

Note also that I didn't barge in here advocating Linux. I responded to the claim it was a "fucking joke". In my response, I admitted Linux had numerous problems yet, but that it was getting better and was currently usable for a segment of the population. I didn't come in here with the "Year of the Linux desktop!" bullshit.

Also, one specific reply:

It doesn't do everything Joe Smith wants. If it did, everyone would be using it.

"Everyone" is notoriously stupid. Or ignorant, depending on how generous you want to be. "Everyone" smokes cigarettes, despite proven health hazards. "Everyone" eats at McDonalds, despite the food being crap and terrible for you. "Everyone" downloads spyware-ridden apps that cripple their system a few months or years down the line. What "everyone" does is a poor judge of objective reality.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2009, 07:49.

Aug 24, 2009, 00:31
Re: More on id and Linux Aug 24, 2009, 00:31
Aug 24, 2009, 00:31

Depends what you want to do.

For a gamer? It's self flagulation... in other words, pretty stupid. Yes, there are a rare few native games, and a surprising amount of even very very modern games run acceptably under WINE... If you don't mind spending some time setting things up... But not all do. And those that do run, don't always run well.

And if you need certain specific high-end software packages, really most of the big name design packages (With a few linux-supported exceptions), it's a bummer. Again, though, WINE can deal with a lot of your needs.

But if you're just the average joe-desktop? Linux does everything you need. Web, documents, DVDs and music, things of that nature. It's still too complex to set up, and mystifying when things go wrong...

...but even five years ago, it was tons worse. Five years ago, WINE was a lot worse. Five years ago, Linux install routines were a lot worse. Linux is coming along at an amazing pace. And no, it's not "there yet". But it's hardly a "fucking joke", and as long as people don't listen to that type of nonsense, one day it's going to really start surprising people.

-Windows & Linux user

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2009, 00:32.

Aug 23, 2009, 19:28
Re: StarCraft II LAN Still a Possibility Aug 23, 2009, 19:28
Aug 23, 2009, 19:28

Some of us just hate Crysis for the good old fashioned reason of it sucking...

Ok, it didn't really suck, per say, but once you got past the (admittedly bloody awesome) graphics, the gameplay just felt really... bleh. Yeah, using nano strength to pick up a drill press and fling it at a bad guy was fun the first few times, but it was a gimmick. The actual combat was average, not very bad or very good, the vehicle sections sucked universally, and the level design, while pretty, was really pretty monotonous and uninspired... Even the alien ship levels didn't really do much for me.

Mass Effect was alright, although not the company's best offering, in my opinion.

As far as justifying DRM by saying if it saves the computer game market, so be it... Fine, sure, I can tolerate reasonable DRM. "Reasonable" DRM wasn't what the majority were up in arms about though, it was the crippling (3 activations, ever), the invasive (Phone home every time), and the broken (False positives, system incompatibilities, etc). The rest of DRM I think kinda got caught in the backlash.

Re: Fallout 3 DLC Trailer
Aug 1, 2009, 08:33
Re: Fallout 3 DLC Trailer Aug 1, 2009, 08:33
Aug 1, 2009, 08:33

What Techie said. That trailer took me from, "Meh, pass" to "Damn, I want that!". I know its not really what I bought Fallout for, but nuts to that, it looks fun either way!

Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Movies
Jul 26, 2009, 15:13
Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Movies Jul 26, 2009, 15:13
Jul 26, 2009, 15:13

Ok, that woman's voice is going to get VERY old, VERY fast. I'm already sick of it, just from those videos.

Re: Fallout 3: Mothership Zeta Details
Jul 14, 2009, 15:59
Re: Fallout 3: Mothership Zeta Details Jul 14, 2009, 15:59
Jul 14, 2009, 15:59

@13...

Partly because Bethesda can't win. If Bethesda writes new content, the Old Timer Brigade complains it's not cannon. If Bethesda uses old content, the Old Timer Brigade complains they're using it wrong. You should have been around the Fallout 3 forums not long after release... the amount of pure hatred for Bethesda over their portrayal of just about everything "recycled" from the old games was shocking. If they weren't exactly like the versions from F1/F2, it was blasphemy... Never mind that those games took place years earlier and on the other side of a continent.

Honestly if it hadn't been necessary to touch on it to re-write the ending, I doubt we would have had the Broken Steel quest line at all. The Brotherhood of Steel was probably the single biggest point of contention in the fighting. Given that next to Vault Tec, they're probably the most iconic aspect of Fallout, I suppose that's understandable... but still.

The one avenue they've really left themselves is to explore the Commonwealth / Institute, but I suspect we won't see that until maybe Fallout 4, or at least a true, honest expansion pack... It seems like it would be too much for a simple DLC.

Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch
Jul 3, 2009, 15:15
Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch Jul 3, 2009, 15:15
Jul 3, 2009, 15:15

Do these unofficial patches work with the Steam version? If so I might pick it up, I've been in the mood for a decent action/rpg game, lately, and replaying Deus Ex again didn't sate me. This game always seemed to get good reviews aside from the horrible bugs, and I guess from what I hear these patches have done a great job fixing the game up.

Re: 2K HUGE Game Pack on Steam
Jul 2, 2009, 23:08
Re: 2K HUGE Game Pack on Steam Jul 2, 2009, 23:08
Jul 2, 2009, 23:08

Hardly *useless* anyways. It's still a good game, even its vanilla form.

Re: Steamships Ahoy - Trine
Jul 2, 2009, 12:54
Re: Steamships Ahoy - Trine Jul 2, 2009, 12:54
Jul 2, 2009, 12:54

From the demo, I'd say this game is easily worth 20 bucks. I'm a little more hesitant of 30, but I'll probably be picking it up.

Re: StarCraft II LAN Dropped Due to Piracy
Jun 30, 2009, 12:36
Re: StarCraft II LAN Dropped Due to Piracy Jun 30, 2009, 12:36
Jun 30, 2009, 12:36

#20:

Starcraft has been a staple of LAN parties since it's release, long outliving the average "shelf life" of games.

Of course, the fact that you can go to any LAN party, anywhere, and within 2 minutes have a burned copy of Starcraft for your very own does kind of hurt the arguement that the LAN crowd has. LAN parties in general end up being giant pirated software trading sessions, in my experience, one of many reasons I don't really care for them.

Re: StarCraft II LAN Dropped Due to Pira
Jun 30, 2009, 12:31
Re: StarCraft II LAN Dropped Due to Pira Jun 30, 2009, 12:31
Jun 30, 2009, 12:31

Wow you guys are cry babies...just get on battle.net and play, you don't care about achievement and stats? then ignore them! they only force you to connect on battle.net for multiplayer which is nothing new for online gaming. If you don't wanna buy the game just because you have to connect on battle.net to play, then stop logging on Steam, Xbox Live, PSN, any MMO, RA3/C&C3 and all other stuff of the kind where you're forced to logon to play online.

Actually they may have just killed the traditional StarCraft LAN party setup for a lot of people. Without knowing more about the demand it's going to place on a connection, I could easily see this game bogging down a lot of low to mid-range home internet connections with 2, 3, 4 people playing - dialup obviously, but even older DSL/Cable connections.

And that's assuming that wherever the LAN party is hosting has facilities for internet connectivity, which isn't always the case - either from an actual lack of connectivity, if played in a public space, or from a reluctance to connect however many people to the host's internet.
61 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older