104 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: Virtual Reality Check
Jun 29, 2024, 13:04
Brym

Re: Virtual Reality Check Jun 29, 2024, 13:04
Jun 29, 2024, 13:04
 Brym

This is why I won't buy another Meta headset. 5 years is far too short a time for a game console to go unsupported. Not to mention the fact that they recently borked the authentication servers for the Oculus Go and now paid apps don't work on it anymore. It's newer than the Nintendo Switch; it should not be a brick.

Too bad the Apple Vision Pro isn't better, and the rumored Steam Deckard is still nonexistent.

Re: Morning Legal Briefs
Jun 12, 2024, 15:21
Brym

Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 12, 2024, 15:21
Jun 12, 2024, 15:21
 Brym

Ooh, this is one where it's hard to figure out if the plaintiff or the defendant is more contemptible.

Re: Quoteworthy
May 31, 2024, 12:38
Brym

Re: Quoteworthy May 31, 2024, 12:38
May 31, 2024, 12:38
 Brym

Sony, I didn't even buy a PS4 for Bloodborne or The Last of Us II, and which are sequels (or spiritual sequels) to some of my favorite games of all time. I'm certainly not going to buy a PS5 to access your games 12 months early.

Re: Senua's Saga: Hellblade II Reviews
May 21, 2024, 21:42
Brym

Re: Senua's Saga: Hellblade II Reviews May 21, 2024, 21:42
May 21, 2024, 21:42
 Brym

I tend to think walking simulators belong in VR. The first one was great in VR. Without that hook, I don't see a reason to play this.

Re: Microsoft Closes Multiple Bethesda Studios
May 7, 2024, 15:17
Brym

Re: Microsoft Closes Multiple Bethesda Studios May 7, 2024, 15:17
May 7, 2024, 15:17
 Brym

By all accounts, the key people at Arkane Austin already left during the development of Redfell, because none of them wanted to be making that kind of game. This is just putting the studio out of its misery.

Re: Atari Revives Infogrames Brand
Apr 23, 2024, 13:29
Brym

Re: Atari Revives Infogrames Brand Apr 23, 2024, 13:29
Apr 23, 2024, 13:29
 Brym

But are they bringing back the corporate theme song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=522bVV-82qQ

Edit: Although it doesn't quite match the cringe of my favorite corporate theme song, for law firm Nixon Peabody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SeL6i3sHM0

Re: Quoteworthy
Apr 9, 2024, 13:04
Brym

Re: Quoteworthy Apr 9, 2024, 13:04
Apr 9, 2024, 13:04
 Brym

Avus - I don't think he's saying that $70 games will get price dropped to $60. I think he's saying that the big AAA release -- whether that's priced at $60 or $70 or whatever -- is an endangered species. We're going to see more live-service games, more free-to-play games, and more AA-budget games.

That strikes me as not crazy. When I was 12, I was breathlessly awaiting the latest new releases. But my 12-year-old only plays weird indie games that youtubers are talking about, and the Sims 4. My other kid only plays Roblox. I don't think any of their friends own an Xbox Series X/S or PS5. And even for me, the game I've been the most hyped about this year has been Helldivers 2, a $40 game. I have yet to buy a $70 game, and I doubt I ever will. Plenty to play until it goes on sale. And eventually, when enough people think that way, then the market doesn't support new $70 games anymore.

Re: Salvation for Helldivers 2 Servers?
Feb 26, 2024, 10:35
Brym

Re: Salvation for Helldivers 2 Servers? Feb 26, 2024, 10:35
Feb 26, 2024, 10:35
 Brym

Two things that I think Helldivers does really well are the particle effects when you shoot the baddies and the sound design. The particle effects make shooting the enemies really satisfying as you see pieces of them flying everywhere. The sound design gives all of the shooting and explosions a lot of oomph. And the music kicks in at the right moments to make everything feel epic.

I'm only about 5 hours in and while I don't necessarily see myself playing this for 100 hours or anything, I'm definitely going to get my money's worth out of it and I'm having an absolute blast so far. The community has also been surprisingly decent so far, especially for a game with friendly fire.

Re: OotB: Free or fortune?
Feb 15, 2024, 13:42
Brym

Re: OotB: Free or fortune? Feb 15, 2024, 13:42
Feb 15, 2024, 13:42
 Brym

On the catalog issue: I think the reason we are seeing these big catalog sales is that the streaming business model is all about the long tail. Back in the day, people mostly bought new music. You'd get paid a bunch of money from selling CDs or records when they were new, and then that money would trail off, because people would just be listening to the records that they already bought. But now, you get paid anytime someone listens to your song. And we see old artists like Coldplay having more monthly Spotify listeners than artists like Jack Harlow or Tate Mcrae that are currently at the very top of the Top 40 charts.

You get a situation where mid-tier artists can no longer make a living off of music sales/streams alone, because it pays less than selling new records would have back in the day. But the big guys are making more money than they would have back in the day, because they can get paid over and over for the same music in perpetuity.

Re: Engagement Ring
Feb 6, 2024, 15:37
Brym

Re: Engagement Ring Feb 6, 2024, 15:37
Feb 6, 2024, 15:37
 Brym

I truly don't understand this console-war mentality. PS5 owners getting to play Halo doesn't diminish the enjoyment of your Xbox at all.

Re: KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS Espionage Game Revealed
Feb 1, 2024, 19:22
Brym

Re: KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS Espionage Game Revealed Feb 1, 2024, 19:22
Feb 1, 2024, 19:22
 Brym

"Blurring the boundaries between film and games" may have sounded cool in the 90s, but the last thing I want these days is for my games to be more cinematic.

Re: Morning Consolidation
Jan 26, 2024, 13:02
Brym

Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 26, 2024, 13:02
Jan 26, 2024, 13:02
 Brym

Some people are going to be upset over the death of physical media, but I think I bought exactly one physical disc Xbox game since the Xbox One era. And I haven't bought a physical PC game in over 15 years.

People worry about preservation, but piracy is a better solution than physical media for that problem. Physical stuff dies. When I wanted to go back and play my copy of MGS 4, the disc drive in my PS3 had died. Flashing the firmware to play games from a hard drive was easier than replacing the disk drive.

Re: Google Loses Epic Antirust Case
Dec 12, 2023, 15:26
Brym

Re: Google Loses Epic Antirust Case Dec 12, 2023, 15:26
Dec 12, 2023, 15:26
 Brym

Kxmode wrote on Dec 12, 2023, 15:13:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 12, 2023, 14:27:
Brym wrote on Dec 12, 2023, 14:22:
Thank You
It’s nice to hear from a lawyer versus all the “ianal’s” with their extremely biased feelings.
We are free to voice opinions, or would you suggest we refrain because we're not lawyers and have nothing of value to post? That seems draconian.

Voice your opinions all you want, but maybe be a little less confidently incorrect on the facts/law You said below that Judge Rogers' Apple opinion sets a precedent for the appeal in this case. It literally does not do that. District Court opinions are not precedent.

Edit to expand a bit:

Although Judge Rogers' opinion won't be considered precedent that an appeals court has to follow, the court of appeals decision in the Apple case is something that will be considered precedent on appeal. But the district court in the Google case will have already considered that. Google undoubtedly relied on the Apple case to argue that their case should be decided in Google's favor without the need for a jury, the judge evidently disagreed and determined that there was still a triable issue of fact for the jury. Now, the appeals court could certainly disagree with the judge. That's what appeals are for. But it's simply incorrect to say that this is something that only the jury looked at in the Google case (it's not) and that it will necessarily get reversed on appeal (if it were that simple, then the judge wouldn't have let the Google case go to trial).

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2023, 15:40.

Re: Google Loses Epic Antirust Case
Dec 12, 2023, 14:22
Brym

Re: Google Loses Epic Antirust Case Dec 12, 2023, 14:22
Dec 12, 2023, 14:22
 Brym

My two cents as a lawyer who isn't overly familiar with the facts of this case and the Apple case, but who has dealt with antitrust issues in his legal practice from time to time (including evaluating whether aspects of Google's Android agreements constitute illegal restraints of trade - the issue didn't end up going anywhere in our case for other reasons, but I did look at the facts and law relating to those agreements - albeit something like 8 years ago, so my memory is fuzzy):

My recollection from years ago is that Google has various agreements with device manufacturers and app developers that strong-arm them into using the Play Store, promoting it as the default, and discourage the use of other app stores. U.S. antitrust law finds violations more easily when there are multiple parties colluding in a way that hurts competition, so the result here isn't totally surprising to me. I believe Apple got away with it in its case with Epic in part because Apple controls the whole system, so there wasn't that same evidence of collusion. Apple is able to lock things down all by itself. That's a bit of a perverse result -- Google is found to have violated the law because they are *more* open than Apple is, and therefore have to work with others to get people to choose the Play Store. And I personally think it shouldn't be that way. But I could write a book about how antitrust law is too permissive in this country...

I saw some chatter down below about the jury's verdict purportedly being wrong because Epic breached its contract. That's a red herring. I was involved with another case where my client absolutely breached its contract, but we won the case because the contract was an illegal restraint of trade by a monopolist. That's the whole point of the case. If a contract is illegal, then you can't be penalized for breaching it.

Re: Game Awards Multiplex
Dec 8, 2023, 13:34
Brym

Re: Game Awards Multiplex Dec 8, 2023, 13:34
Dec 8, 2023, 13:34
 Brym

World of Goo 2 is certainly the announcement I'm most hyped about. The original was the first indie game that I really got excited about - where I wasn't just saying "this is good for a game made by a small team," but instead saying "this game made by a small team might actually be my game of the year."

Re: Meta Quest Headsets Get Steam Link
Dec 1, 2023, 10:28
Brym

Re: Meta Quest Headsets Get Steam Link Dec 1, 2023, 10:28
Dec 1, 2023, 10:28
 Brym

I tested this out with some HL2:VR today, and my experience was very positive. At least comparable to virtual desktop, and maybe lower latency. I did notice that it's got a somewhat aggressive variable bitrate, so I did get some drops in quality. But that's much preferable to stuttering or lag. A very smooth experience overall.

And the big benefit from my perspective is that it's extremely seamless. Any time I used Oculus Link I had to go to my computer and run the Oculus app first (and probably update it). Similarly, every time I tried to use Virtual Desktop it seemed that I always had to update the streamer app on my computer first. But Steam is always running and always updated for me. So I can now jump into PCVR games just as easily as I could native Quest games.

Re: Steam Deck OLED Next Week
Nov 9, 2023, 14:11
Brym

Re: Steam Deck OLED Next Week Nov 9, 2023, 14:11
Nov 9, 2023, 14:11
 Brym

Must... not... buy...

Re: Evening Consolidation
Oct 17, 2023, 10:37
Brym

Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 17, 2023, 10:37
Oct 17, 2023, 10:37
 Brym

The analogue N64 article from Kotaku reads like marketing copy. "Fans" haven't "found a way" to jailbreak Analogue's consoles - it's an open secret that the jailbreaks are released by the Analogue engineer who develops the cores. This ends up being the worst of both worlds for users - because it's not official, Analogue won't give you support for any issues you have. But because it's not actually open-source or fan-made, you're at the mercy of the company for any bugfixes or feature improvements.

Moreover, although they tout the ability to play cartridges, they don't care all that much about getting cartridge support right because they know that most people are just going to use ROMs anyways using the "jailbreak." There were serious bugs with major NES cartridges on the NT Mini Noir for the majority of its lifespan - only very recently (nearly 3 years after it shipped) did they finally release a firmware update that purportedly fixed things.

Anyone considering an Analogue console should just get a MiSTer. It's what I ultimately did, and I sold my Analogue consoles within a month afterwards.

Re: Unity Reverses Course on Fees
Sep 23, 2023, 10:26
Brym

Re: Unity Reverses Course on Fees Sep 23, 2023, 10:26
Sep 23, 2023, 10:26
 Brym

Dacron wrote on Sep 23, 2023, 08:09:
yonder wrote on Sep 23, 2023, 04:32:
The lawsuit claiming that Valve is a monopoly was dismissed out-of-hand because it failed "to allege the most basic elements of an antitrust case." Valve is not a monopoly.

The folks here crying about valve don't care about the courts. They think Steam is a monopoly, therefore it is.

They ignore the facts there are dozens of digital market places. They ignore court decisions. They just know better than the rest of us as they cry about things that are not true.

Not worth engaging them. Like arguing with children.

This is straying a bit far afield, but this caught my eye because I am a lawyer who sometimes handles antitrust cases. I've long thought that Valve has market power, and their MFN clause and some aspects of how Steamworks operates constitute abuses of that market power that could constitute violations of the Sherman/Clayton acts. Looks like the most recent update on the court case rejected Valve's move to dismiss the case, and found that the plaintiffs' allegations stated a cognizable claim. https://tinyurl.com/328shdxe

The existence of other competing storefronts doesn't mean Valve lacks market power. Microsoft was found to have market power in the 90s despite the existence of Apple and Linux (and other, lesser competitors). If you're sufficiently dominant, you can't use restrictive means to prevent other companies from undercutting your prices. That's exactly what Valve does. The MFN clause means that if another storefront wants to undercut them on price by charging a smaller cut (say 10-15% instead of 30%), they can't pass those savings on to consumers. This keeps prices to consumers higher, which is the #1 thing courts are looking for to find an antitrust violation.

Re: Tomb Raider I-III Remastered Announced
Sep 15, 2023, 10:30
Brym

Re: Tomb Raider I-III Remastered Announced Sep 15, 2023, 10:30
Sep 15, 2023, 10:30
 Brym

I've been going back and playing some PSX games since it got added to MiSTer, and Tomb Raider has been among the games that held up the worst. It controls like Resident Evil, but rather than constructing a slow-paced survival horror game around those controls (which I found still worked pretty well!), they tried to make a platformer. The game is just asking for more from the controls than they are capable of delivering. Even lining up Lara to pull a switch or pick up a health pack is an exercise in frustration.

I imagine they'll fix those control issues for these remasters, but I'm not sure that the game won't just be boring then.
104 Comments. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older