Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1499 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Trek Game Next Year
5. Re: Star Trek Game Next Year Feb 11, 2012, 14:11 Tom

F J. J. Abrams. The last Star Trek movie SUCKED. (What is wrong with the world that this movie is at 8.1 on IMDB and 83 on Metacritic?!?) I can't imagine the future holds anything different for the next movie. "The highly anticipated Star Trek video game" - give me a break.

Then again, Digital Extremes? Namco Bandai?

Nah.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Feb 3, 2012, 23:26 Tom

Yes, there are ways. I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.  

News Comments > Happy Birthday id Software
13. Re: Happy Birthday id Software Feb 2, 2012, 00:37 Tom

Oh id. Let us remember the good times and be thankful. All good things must come to an end, and they did many years ago, but it's ok. The star that burns the brightest...  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 25, 2012, 19:44 Tom

Hmm. YouTube 1080p Blu-ray-esque? How so? YouTube 1080p tops out at about 8Mbps. Blu-ray video can do 40Mbps. That's a factor of 5. And YouTube often can't even sustain the necessary throughput for its 720p, let alone 1080p. Hope you like buffering.

YouTube has the necessary UI and bitrate categorization for streaming 1080p, but with the low bitrate it's just low quality streaming. It's like 64kbps vs 320kbps MP3. Huge difference.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 19, 2012, 18:18 Tom

The first digital camera I ever used was a Kodak DC-120 in 1997. Amazing stuff back then. Sad that they were early to the digital game yet ended up like this.  

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Nov 24, 2011, 09:06 Tom

DCS: A-10C Warthog is even cheaper on Steam until the 28th, only $20!  

News Comments > Hard Reset Interview
7. Re: Hard Reset Interview Nov 20, 2011, 10:11 Tom

"Steam is DRM" ... uh huh, your view isn't any narrower than his eh?

Steam is a service in which you give up some things to get some other things. Clearly most people have found the tradeoff to be in their favor.

News Comments > More on DOOM 3 Source Release
10. Re: More on DOOM 3 Source Release Nov 16, 2011, 20:17 Tom

Huh? EAX has been useless since the audio stack got rewritten in Vista. All modern game audio is done completely in software, and AFAIK you have to do special tricks (Alchemy?) to use EAX in the older games that used it if you run them on Vista or later.  

News Comments > The Fighter Collection Plans
14. Re: The Fighter Collection Plans Nov 14, 2011, 17:34 Tom

Yep I read it as Tie Fighter as well... and this comment thread appeared exactly as I expected it would. *sigh*  

News Comments > More on Deus Ex: Human Revolution Boss Woes
18. Re: More on Deus Ex: Human Revolution Boss Woes Nov 2, 2011, 19:06 Tom

Yeah, I agree with you, Brumbek. The boss fights were NOT hard. They sprinkled guns, ammo, and health all over the place just in case you didn't have any (but my inventory was always overflowing with it anyway). If you want to see hard, try a Russian FPS like STALKER or Metro. THAT is hard!

The bosses (and the rest of the characters and story for the most part) were pretty forgettable. The characters from the original Deus Ex stick out more. If they improved only one thing in the next Deus Ex game, I would choose this. They had a fine engine this time around, pretty good gameplay, combat, world design, voice acting, high production values all around. But the characters and writing were kind of weak.

Still, it was a fun game. I don't regret my time with it and I wouldn't mind playing through it again sometime.

Best part? Death by vending machine. Ah yeah.

News Comments > Humble Bundle Makes $1M
3. Re: Humble Bundle Makes $1M Oct 11, 2011, 13:14 Tom

So how much might an individual developer be getting out of that figure?  

News Comments > Hacked 128-Player Battlefield 3 Beta Servers
14. Re: Hacked 128-Player Battlefield 3 Beta Servers Oct 2, 2011, 15:33 Tom

Hump wrote on Oct 2, 2011, 15:16:
I played a grand total of 2 minutes. It was apparent that people were using vegetation hacks aplenty (I wont even try to guess what else was being used).

Do you mean that you were hiding in vegetation but got shot anyway, when nobody should've been able to see you? If you'd played a little more than 2 minutes, you might've discovered that 100 kills with certain weapons gets you an IR sight that clearly highlights people hiding in vegetation in most cases. Using the spot key (Q), you can then broadcast the positions of those people to everyone on your team, which will likely result in a quick death for them. Also, at close to medium range, sound is a very effective tool for locating people.

Hiding in vegetation is fun and effective a lot of the time, but it can be defeated without resorting to cheating.

News Comments > Skyrim Voice Cast Announced
42. Re: Skyrim Voice Cast Announced Sep 27, 2011, 18:23 Tom

Dang, ~20 voice actors for Oblivion? It felt more like 5.  

News Comments > Mod Removes Deus Ex: Human Revolution Gold Filter
29. Re: Mod Removes Deus Ex: Human Revolution Gold Filter Sep 23, 2011, 19:42 Tom

Ahh... people will complain about anything. The levels in this game were plenty large, the graphics plenty good. The exterior scenes in that final place were just amazing. Some people put a ton of work into that. And for the last part of the game, where so often games fizzle out.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 18, 2011, 23:00 Tom

20MB Fuji, with a big plastic wheel you could use to move the head manually. Never saw another Fuji hard drive after that.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 12, 2011, 18:57 Tom

People are always claiming that defragging files stored on an SSD is pointless because it will make such a tiny difference in performance. These arguments appear to be based on insufficient understanding of how SSDs and operating systems work. It's ESPECIALLY bad when people confuse wear leveling with filesystem fragmentation. SSDs perform wear leveling internally - the OS knows nothing about it, even with TRIM. The OS performs fragmentation - the SSD knows nothing about it, even with TRIM.

If you dig a little deeper, maybe even do some measurements, you'll find that there IS a real performance difference and the reason for its existence is completely logical.

Perhaps you've noticed that people tend to report several measurements when evaluating SSD sequential read performance. This is because there's a BIG - sometimes HUGE - performance difference depending on I/O size. For example, 4K vs. 64K vs. 512K. I/O size is how many bytes are read or write when the OS says to the drive "hey, read/write X bytes from/to location Y".

Well guess what. When your file is split into hundreds or thousands of fragments (which DOES happen in the real world), and you want to read it all in, sequentially, as fast as possible, what sizes do you think the I/O requests going to the drive are going to be? Will all the fragments be aligned on nice BIG boundaries? No. Because of fragmentation, you can't just zoom over the whole file in big chunks. You have to read a little from here, a little from there - gather all those fragments together. Performance won't be as bad as all 4K I/Os, but it won't be as good as all large I/Os either.

For example, I just did a real-world test with two files in my downloads directory, stored on an Intel 120GB SSD with 49GB free, running Windows 7:
File 1, 12MB, 189 fragments: read at 135MB/sec
File 2, 10MB, 1 fragment: read at 175MB/sec

That's a 30% difference. Reading other non-fragmented files consistently gets me very near 175MB/sec.

Bottom line: the performance penalty is not nearly as severe as with traditional disks, but it's hardly as miniscule as people claim. Fragmentation is something that gets worse as the contents of the volume are modified, and it can get really bad if the volume is low on space for a long time. By never defragmenting, your disk activity WILL get slower and slower. People attribute this to SSD internal implementation details such as wear leveling, poor TRIM, whatever, but the truth is that in many systems fragmentation will be a factor in that degradation over time.

I've raised this point several times with SSD manufacturers as well as the team at MS responsible for optimizing Windows 7 for SSDs. They all went through the following stages: 1) deny, 2) downplay, 3) grudgingly accept.

Why did I bother writing all this? I just think it'd be nice if people thought a little more about this topic and did some measurements themselves before making inaccurate claims. Use contig from Sysinternals to measure fragmentation for individual files. I wrote my own program to measure sequential read throughput for individual files, but there's probably something else suitable out there.

News Comments > Quoteworthy
5. Re: Quoteworthy Sep 9, 2011, 07:57 Tom

It's not really that hard to code a decent progress bar in most situations. I've done it many times. Sometimes environments and systems are set up in such a way that it makes it more difficult than it should be. But it shouldn't be a several day task unless you want to get fancy with the display or you're foolishly concerned with trying to make it perfectly smooth. It doesn't need to be. It just needs to indicate progress even in a rough way on a fairly regular basis.

Coding a progress bar in such a way as to slow down the task significantly is really bad programming. There's no excuse for that.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 PC Wish List Request
18. Re: Borderlands 2 PC Wish List Request Sep 7, 2011, 22:51 Tom

How about netcode that doesn't randomly drop players all the time and make them lose quest progress, throwing them out of sync with the rest of the players?

Dunno if they ever fixed that because my group of friends gave up on the game after months went by, various patches came out, and the problem persisted.

News Comments > OS X League of Legends Ending Tonight
5. Re: OS X League of Legends Ending Tonight Sep 6, 2011, 23:25 Tom

lol ... silly Mac users. Go play Photoshop.  

News Comments > PIP-Boy 3000s
4. Re: PIP-Boy 3000s Sep 4, 2011, 00:26 Tom

Sadly, developing a real product is substantially more difficult than tooling around in your garage.  

1499 Comments. 75 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo