Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1395 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > BioWare on Dragon Age II Criticisms
22. Re: BioWare on Dragon Age II Criticisms May 27, 2011, 12:52 Tom

yuastnav wrote on May 27, 2011, 12:21:
You sound like someone who'd actually like Star Wars Episode 1.

Oooohhhhhh... OUCH that's just mean.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed
22. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 26, 2011, 19:57 Tom

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 26, 2011, 18:43:
Tom wrote on May 26, 2011, 18:17:
Yes, the update is on Steam. Unfortunately, it's a 9GB update instead of the 15MB patch elsewhere. Apparently the Steam update system isn't smart enough to patch files - only redownload them in their entirety - and this game puts the bulk of its data in some very large files, the largest being pack0.dzip at about 8GB.

Then just delete that file. Your saves are elsewhere anyway.

Huh? Why would I do that? Steam would just have to redownload it. The Steam update worked fine without any intervention. I was just commenting on its inefficiency. Fortunately I don't have to worry about downloading 9GB of data, and I'd rather have something be inefficient than broken. I fired up the game and it worked fine, including the Troll Trouble DLC. People with slow connections or caps might not be so happy though.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed
13. Re: The Witcher 2 Patched, DRM Removed May 26, 2011, 18:17 Tom

Yes, the update is on Steam. Unfortunately, it's a 9GB update instead of the 15MB patch elsewhere. Apparently the Steam update system isn't smart enough to patch files - only redownload them in their entirety - and this game puts the bulk of its data in some very large files, the largest being pack0.dzip at about 8GB.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation May 26, 2011, 00:17 Tom

Heh. It never hit me until I watched this video, but this sounds kinda like a modern day Police Quest. It's been 24 years... I wonder if anyone's written up a good comparison.  

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patch Nears
23. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Nears May 25, 2011, 17:27 Tom

Whether or not the game is currently out on consoles is hardly relevant, I think. Playing it, especially after having played the first one, it's clearly designed with consoles in mind and will certainly be released on consoles. I don't fault the developers for that. There's $$$ in consoles, and they need $$$ to continue making games. The important thing is how much of a detriment to the game the console-minded design decisions are.

I'd say on a scale from 1 to 10, where 1 is a horrific console port and 10 is a PC game in all its glory, this game is about a 7 maybe. With some work I think they could bring it up to an 8 or maybe even a 9.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Patch Nears
9. Re: The Witcher 2 Patch Nears May 25, 2011, 12:45 Tom

North on the compass would be great, I'll have to track down that mod. A separate volume control for voices would also be really helpful. Already did the weightless mod. Don't need any other changes.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation May 25, 2011, 01:31 Tom

The Witcher 2 contains the following directory in plain sight:
CookedPC\sounds\x360\

Pretty sure you can guess what the x360 stands for.

News Comments > Gold - Duke Nukem Forever
37. Re: Gold - Duke Nukem Forever May 24, 2011, 15:20 Tom

Jonny5 wrote on May 24, 2011, 12:45:
DITTO, my GOD it has been awhile, SO many gaming websites that do not even exist anymore I followed this games development.

Fortunately the only one that matters is still going strong after all these years!

News Comments > Brink Patched
10. Re: Brink Patched May 24, 2011, 10:18 Tom

Huh. I just tried Quake Live for the first time like 2 weeks ago (ya I know, a little late to the party on that one) and it worked fine in FF4 with no hacks. I didn't even have to restart the browser. Totally seamless.  

News Comments > Free RIFT Character Transfers Coming
12. Re: Free RIFT Character Transfers Coming May 23, 2011, 16:53 Tom

"It's good to be the king!"  

News Comments > Quote of the Day
24. Re: Quote of the  Day May 18, 2011, 15:12 Tom

kanniballl wrote on May 18, 2011, 14:42:
I miss the old DRM days.
Like the questions at the beginning of Leisure Suit Larry
Or X-Wing asking for the word at the bottom of page X

Or the code wheels...
http://www.google.com/search?q=starflight+code+wheel&tbm=isch

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2011, 13:53 Tom

The vast majority of LCD displays accept input at a rate of 60 frames per second. Your monitor almost certainly falls into this category.

For 3D, you need a display that can accept input at a rate of 120 frames per second. Such displays are advertised as "120Hz" but be advised that this is different from the bogus 120Hz, 240Hz, etc. terminology often seen in television specifications. The important thing is that the display must accept input at 120 frames per second and display each of those frames.

NVIDIA has a list of compatible hardware here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-requirements.html

News Comments > Gay Character Plans: ME3 Yes, DNF No
11. Re: Gay Character Plans: ME3 Yes, DNF No May 16, 2011, 13:44 Tom

This is the funniest thread I've seen here in awhile.  

News Comments > Square Enix's Losses
4. Re: Square Enix's Losses May 13, 2011, 15:41 Tom

They never said that, nor did the article say that. Where did you get that from? Try reading the article. They're well aware the losses are their own fault.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation May 12, 2011, 13:10 Tom

Tumbler wrote on May 12, 2011, 10:57:
Edit: oh, and PORTAL 2!? Which version is going to be the best again?
PC.

News Comments > Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles
25. Re: Why Duke Nukem is Like The Beatles May 11, 2011, 16:21 Tom

Parallax Abstraction wrote on May 11, 2011, 13:38:
Pretty much this. I never got The Beatles at all. I even recently went back and listened to a lot of their stuff to see what I just didn't get and never found it. It's just generic 60s rock with uninspired lyrics and their later stuff is just nonsensical (likely cause they were all stoned when it was written). My opinion's obviously in the minority though.

Well I'm with you, I HATE the sound of the Beatles with a passion and cringe/flee whenever I'm subjected to it. I'm not sure if there's a name for the concept of fingernails on a blackboard, but that's the kind of response the Beatles elicit from me. From the moment I first heard it.

News Comments > BF3 Preorder DLC Details
8. Re: BF3 Preorder DLC Details May 10, 2011, 18:27 Tom

Ok, thanks, I think I get it now. There isn't as much of a difference in effectiveness of different types of explosives as there should be. I mostly agree with that. There should probably be a bigger difference between grenade/noob tube vs. rocket/tank shell when it comes to building destruction.

As for buildings being too easy to destroy... well, it might help if they were damaged in a more realistic way, but if you hit buildings from all over the place with tank shells and rockets in real life, it seems to me like they're probably going to fall apart eventually. If they make them too strong, that could end up unrealistic and dampen the fun of the destructive environment.

I think the important issue is how destructibility affects the gameplay and victory conditions. They seem to have thought about this in BC2, usually placing at least half of the objectives either in indestructible buildings or outside of buildings so you can't just sit back and drop all of the buildings to win. I love to drop buildings and do it all the time, but you have to do more than that to win, which is good.

News Comments > BF3 Preorder DLC Details
4. Re: BF3 Preorder DLC Details May 10, 2011, 17:01 Tom

loomy wrote on May 10, 2011, 16:36:
the building destruction by dice in bfbc2 is excessive. almost anything blows up almost anything, it is not fun or realistic, two departures for the bf franchise.

Huh. I dunno what game you're playing but it's not BC2. Anything blows up any explosive thing. Explosives blow up non-explosive things. These are logical. However, there are tons of things that can't be blown up. Crates, containers, buildings, flimsy looking metal lean-to things, many inoperable vehicles, etc. And the buildings require unnatural (but better than nothing) scripted destruction in order to collapse.

If anything, they need to increase the destructibility of the environment, not decrease it. Fortunately, this sounds like what they're doing in BF3.

It's worth noting that they're walking a fine line between realism and fun when they decide what should be destructible. If everything was destructible, it might be more realistic but less fun. I think they did a pretty good job with BC2 and am hoping they can do even better with BF3.

News Comments > Valve: Steam Good for Retail
4. Re: Valve: Steam Good for Retail May 10, 2011, 10:34 Tom

"People who use Amazon still go to bookstores."

Yeah, to browse, then I buy it from Amazon. Brick and mortar has too much overhead to compete with online operations.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Revelations Announced
25. Re: Assassin's Creed Revelations Announced May 5, 2011, 16:09 Tom

Verno wrote on May 5, 2011, 13:43:
I think they've done everything they can with Rome unless we're going to get into modern era Mafia stuff. I'd like to see feudal Japan but that will never happen as Joe Everyman can't identify with anything there but the sword

This is the game for that:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/943326-ryu-ga-gotoku-kenzan

Unfortunately, you'll need to learn Japanese first.

1395 Comments. 70 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo