Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1422 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
9. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 25, 2015, 13:16 Tom

SmartScreen makes it more difficult for people to download software from outside of Microsoft's app store where Microsoft takes a cut of all proceeds.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Control Founder's Program
3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2015, 23:31 Tom

May we all be *happy campers* when this comes out. Stardock had better not be *silly cows* and make us *frumple*.  

News Comments > Green Man Gaming Key Sources Follow-up
19. Re: Green Man Gaming Key Sources Follow-up Nov 19, 2015, 19:57 Tom

I'm not wanting to be playing "at 12:01 on launch". But I expect to get a working key within a day, at least. So far they sent me an invalid key a day after launch. Then the day after that they told me "ok it should work now" and of course it doesn't. So it looks like I won't be playing until at least 3 days after launch. Meanwhile my friends who ordered direct from Origin are playing without me.

I bought two games before this on GMG but I will NEVER do business with them again after this.

News Comments > Green Man Gaming Key Sources Follow-up
4. Re: Green Man Gaming Key Sources Follow-up Nov 18, 2015, 20:18 Tom

GMG totally screwed up the Battlefront pre-order. Tons of people got keys late, and then those keys didn't even work. Now people are waiting for GMG customer service to do something about it. And of course there are still plenty of people reporting they haven't even got keys at all yet.

DO NOT trust these guys with a pre-order. Personally, I won't be doing business with them again. This was not worth it to save $15. Can't play with my friend for a second night. I should've just ordered direct from Origin.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Released
61. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Released Nov 18, 2015, 00:02 Tom

Total-Khaos wrote on Nov 17, 2015, 18:34:
Perhaps you missed yesterday's news.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/166892/green-man-gaming-defends-key-sources
Nope, didn't miss it. In fact that's how I knew GMG was authorized to sell EA games. The reddit mods who banned them said so.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Released
55. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Released Nov 17, 2015, 17:51 Tom

I went into the beta with low expectations and found it surprisingly fun. Beautiful graphics and high production values all around. Worth $60? Not sure about that. But a friend wanted to play together, so I pre-ordered it from Green Man Gaming for $45.

OOPS. Despite their insistence that they're an authorized EA reseller, GMG somehow "ran out" of keys. They sent an email yesterday morning saying some folks won't get their keys until after the release. I'm one of those folks.

WTF? If you're an authorized EA reseller don't you get your keys from them? How the !@#$ do you run out? Why can't you just get more, ahead of time, not days after the launch? Is this EA trying to punish gamers for being cheap and ordering through a third party to save $15?

Anyway, lesson learned. Don't pre-order anything from GMG.

Maybe I can watch my friend's stream tonight as he's playing it without me. If the servers even hold up.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 16, 2015, 19:41 Tom

No problems here.

Probably because I'm running Windows 7.

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Into the Black Nov 13, 2015, 00:38 Tom

Protest Puke  

News Comments > J.J. Abrams Collaboration SPYJINX Announced
5. Re: J.J. Abrams Collaboration SPYJINX Announced Nov 11, 2015, 23:26 Tom

Why are you sure he'll do better for Star Wars? Doesn't seem like a safe bet to me. Then again, the bar IS pretty freakin' low.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 11, 2015, 19:12 Tom

DangerDog wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 17:12:
Oh, so Tim uh how do those apps in the apple app store get made? You mean you can author them using the ipad pro?

Trucks, man. Trucks.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 8, 2015, 19:11 Tom

DangerDog wrote on Nov 8, 2015, 15:52:
Things were looking so good back in the day of Quake and the Reaper Bot, I don't understand why there is such a lack of emphasis on AI programming since then, or at least it feels that way.
That sort of AI programming was new and exciting back then. Nowadays I think most people probably see it as "it's been done" and find the difficult prospect of surpassing existing achievements unappealing. Not to mention economically non-viable. The same is true in many other areas of game development, and heck, human achievement of any kind really.

News Comments > Steam Item Stores
10. Re: Steam Item Stores Nov 4, 2015, 23:11 Tom

jdreyer wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 20:15:
Maybe finish your game before offering crap like this?
Boom, headshot. Toff Rifle

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Nov 2, 2015, 19:21 Tom

RIP, Star Trek.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 2, 2015, 19:19 Tom

The locomotion problem in VR is totally overblown.

First of all, locomotion isn't an issue with any kind of vehicle simulation. And plenty of people are going to want to use VR for that. It completely blows away using a monitor+TrackIR setup.

For first person movement, locomotion isn't something "they can't work out" just because some people are experimenting. Mouse and keyboard work just fine in VR after you've spent some time in VR giving your brain a chance to figure out what's going on. It wasn't a lot of time for me, maybe 10-20 hours before the discomfort was vastly reduced, and another 20-40 for it to be completely nonexistent except in rare circumstances.

There will also be plenty of VR applications where locomotion simply isn't required at all.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 1, 2015, 22:25 Tom

Ugh, so true, so sad.

This is what a custom Elite controller should be like.

News Comments > Valve's VSync Experiments
15. Re: Valve's VSync Experiments Oct 31, 2015, 14:30 Tom

Only poorly written games have a perceptible advantage with vsync off vs. on when it comes to input lag, mouse precision, cursor being sluggish, etc. That doesn't happen in a correctly written game. Tearing, however, is perceptible and unavoidable when vsync is off. So is the increased noise and heat generation that comes with wasting computing resources generating more frames than can be physically displayed by your display.

Btw, if you want to talk about experience, I was writing code using vsync in 1993 and have played countless FPS and RTS games going back to DOOM, Ultima Underworld, Herzog Zwei, Dune 2, etc. I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly and I'm not making this stuff up.

13. Re: Valve's VSync Experiments Oct 31, 2015, 11:47 Tom

There are many causes for discomfort in VR. The ones related to latency involve poor synchronization between the virtual realm (3D rendered environment) and the physical realm (your head position and orientation). To avoid that, it's necessary to update the HMD contents as soon as possible after head movement with a frame that properly takes into account the new head orientation and position. The technique known as timewarp does exactly this, without depending on the game's simulation state.

Basically, this is a solved problem for VR and has been for some time. What Valve is doing here is a somewhat similar idea but NOT for VR, and unlike in VR it's pointless here because the latency it targets is inconsequential.

10. Re: Valve's VSync Experiments Oct 31, 2015, 10:06 Tom

This is a waste of time. If some inputs "feel delayed" with vsync as opposed to without it, it's either in the person's head or the game is broken. Human reaction time to visual stimulus is around 250ms. One frame at 60fps is 16.66ms. Do the math.  

News Comments > TrackMania Turbo VR Support
2. Re: TrackMania Turbo VR Support Oct 30, 2015, 21:34 Tom

Nah. Radial-G was totally comfortable even when I was new to VR, and it's basically the same idea. Yet backing up slowly in a truck in Euro Truck Simulator 2 will still make me feel queasy.

The mechanics of VR sickness are much more complex than just "it's fast and twisty so it must be bad in VR".

News Comments > Star Citizen New Flight Model Details
15. Re: Star Citizen New Flight Model Details Oct 29, 2015, 23:37 Tom

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 29, 2015, 20:26:
How did it turn out? Frontier are doing it exactly in the right order. Solid flight model, an incredibly huge functional universe to explore and an extremely solid base to build from. And now they are building...
Frontier suffers from a severe lack of capable game designers. They have a solid flight model, good graphics, extraordinary sound, and a good model of the galaxy. But the gameplay? Absolute rubbish. Unless you're the sort who "makes his own fun" it's a pretty useless game.

Frontier stumbles from one big new gameplay feature to the next, always promising big things in the next update and delivering a broken turd which never gets fixed. Community goals. Powerplay. CQC. And next up? Planetary landings.

Meanwhile their "extremely solid base" is still P2P-based netcode which is buggy, unreliable, infuriatingly worse than useless if you want to try to play with friends or any gathering of players in the galaxy, and ripe for cheaters. The game is still online-only so if the servers are having problems you just can't play. Period. The mission system sucks and continues to suck with each update. They've struggled mightily with basic balancing of roles, weapons, ships. And so on.

Oh and VR support? They still can't be bothered to integrate their engine with Oculus SDK rendering, although they were and are happy to tout VR support. Will the game support the consumer Rift at launch? Right now it's looking like a definite "maybe". But forget that because they now have Vive support! Nevermind that practically nobody can get a Vive now and there's no telling if/when people will be able to get one in the future.

I'd really like to enjoy Elite but Frontier is screwing up a lot of stuff. Of course, they'd have to be at least 1000x more screwed up to approach CIG's level so at least there's that, right?

1422 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo