Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1406 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Valve's VSync Experiments
13. Re: Valve's VSync Experiments Oct 31, 2015, 11:47 Tom

There are many causes for discomfort in VR. The ones related to latency involve poor synchronization between the virtual realm (3D rendered environment) and the physical realm (your head position and orientation). To avoid that, it's necessary to update the HMD contents as soon as possible after head movement with a frame that properly takes into account the new head orientation and position. The technique known as timewarp does exactly this, without depending on the game's simulation state.

Basically, this is a solved problem for VR and has been for some time. What Valve is doing here is a somewhat similar idea but NOT for VR, and unlike in VR it's pointless here because the latency it targets is inconsequential.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Valve's VSync Experiments
10. Re: Valve's VSync Experiments Oct 31, 2015, 10:06 Tom

This is a waste of time. If some inputs "feel delayed" with vsync as opposed to without it, it's either in the person's head or the game is broken. Human reaction time to visual stimulus is around 250ms. One frame at 60fps is 16.66ms. Do the math.  

News Comments > TrackMania Turbo VR Support
2. Re: TrackMania Turbo VR Support Oct 30, 2015, 21:34 Tom

Nah. Radial-G was totally comfortable even when I was new to VR, and it's basically the same idea. Yet backing up slowly in a truck in Euro Truck Simulator 2 will still make me feel queasy.

The mechanics of VR sickness are much more complex than just "it's fast and twisty so it must be bad in VR".

News Comments > Star Citizen New Flight Model Details
15. Re: Star Citizen New Flight Model Details Oct 29, 2015, 23:37 Tom

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 29, 2015, 20:26:
How did it turn out? Frontier are doing it exactly in the right order. Solid flight model, an incredibly huge functional universe to explore and an extremely solid base to build from. And now they are building...
Frontier suffers from a severe lack of capable game designers. They have a solid flight model, good graphics, extraordinary sound, and a good model of the galaxy. But the gameplay? Absolute rubbish. Unless you're the sort who "makes his own fun" it's a pretty useless game.

Frontier stumbles from one big new gameplay feature to the next, always promising big things in the next update and delivering a broken turd which never gets fixed. Community goals. Powerplay. CQC. And next up? Planetary landings.

Meanwhile their "extremely solid base" is still P2P-based netcode which is buggy, unreliable, infuriatingly worse than useless if you want to try to play with friends or any gathering of players in the galaxy, and ripe for cheaters. The game is still online-only so if the servers are having problems you just can't play. Period. The mission system sucks and continues to suck with each update. They've struggled mightily with basic balancing of roles, weapons, ships. And so on.

Oh and VR support? They still can't be bothered to integrate their engine with Oculus SDK rendering, although they were and are happy to tout VR support. Will the game support the consumer Rift at launch? Right now it's looking like a definite "maybe". But forget that because they now have Vive support! Nevermind that practically nobody can get a Vive now and there's no telling if/when people will be able to get one in the future.

I'd really like to enjoy Elite but Frontier is screwing up a lot of stuff. Of course, they'd have to be at least 1000x more screwed up to approach CIG's level so at least there's that, right?

News Comments > Star Citizen New Flight Model Details
6. Re: Star Citizen New Flight Model Details Oct 29, 2015, 19:58 Tom

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 29, 2015, 18:55:
It's a fucking space sim, shouldn't the flight model be one of the first things you get done?!?
Well, Elite: Dangerous went that route and look how that turned out. The flight model is critical to a space sim but so are a bunch of other things.

News Comments > Overwatch Beta Today
12. Re: Overwatch Beta Today Oct 27, 2015, 22:53 Tom

Bub wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 21:29:
What makes it even more odd is how much money they are raking in with Hearthstone and their new MOBA as to why they are even bothering with FPS.
Uh huh. And why did they even bother with Hearthstone and their new MOBA considering how much money they were raking in with WoW, right?

News Comments > DOOM Alpha Video
2. Re: DOOM Alpha Video Oct 22, 2015, 20:37 Tom

Where's the bayonet?  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
9. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 21, 2015, 21:56 Tom

PHJF wrote on Oct 21, 2015, 21:23:
I'm almost positive TWC throttles YouTube...
They either throttle it or their peering/routing to Google servers is terrible. Either way, they suck. And of course they do, because why not? It's not like they have any competition.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Oct 20, 2015, 22:32 Tom

The CIA director has an AOL email account? And he forwarded sensitive work emails to it? ...  

News Comments > Hideo Kojima's Konami Exit
10. Re: Hideo Kojima's Konami Exit Oct 19, 2015, 23:36 Tom

jdreyer wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 21:37:
This makes no sense to me. The Phantom Pain has sold millions and millions of copies, and the game has been hailed as one of the best games of the year. And, although it's not the greatest indicator, the Metacritic score is 93. By all accounts this is a massive success in the gaming world, and they're canning the creator and director of the series?
Did you miss this part of the article?
A financial report from Mixi, the company behind Japanís current top mobile game, Monster Strike, suggests that the company is expected to make around one and a half billion dollars per year from this single title in Japan alone.
In other words, why go through all the pain and expense of creating a blockbuster if you can spend a tiny fraction and make ridiculously more? Look at it from the business perspective. Grow or die.

4. Re: Social media making millennials less social: Study Oct 19, 2015, 20:19 Tom

MajorD wrote on Oct 19, 2015, 19:07:
It took a fricken' study to come to that conclusion? /shakes head I disgust.
Those are the only kinds of studies that make the news.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Oct 19, 2015, 18:21 Tom

Nice to see someone building a sim pit for VR! His approach makes some sense given the current level of tech. Hopefully in the not too distant future we'll have gloves with sufficient control and feedback to render physical switches and knobs unnecessary, leaving only the stick, throttle, and rudder pedals as physical necessities.

Of course, none of that is really necessary to have a great time flying in VR. I use DK2+HOTAS+pedals+mouse+keyboard with DCS and it's fantastic.

3. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 15, 2015, 22:45 Tom

Ads? What ads?  

News Comments > Rocket League DLC
6. Re: Rocket League DLC Oct 14, 2015, 00:20 Tom

I don't normally buy cosmetic DLC but that Back to the Future car looks great. These guys deserve the support too. Fantastic game.  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Modes and Season Pass Detailed
12. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Modes and Season Pass Detailed Oct 12, 2015, 23:11 Tom

I thought this game was going to be lame based on some videos I saw maybe a few months back, but I figured I'd better try it out before the beta ended. Turns out it's actually pretty fun. Not sure if the depth is there, but it felt more like old Battlefield than anything else I've played in a while. I'll still at least wait til it's on sale unless there's some really great friend-friendly gameplay in there somewhere. But it's a lot better than I was expecting.

And its use of typography is impressive.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
5. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Oct 11, 2015, 10:46 Tom

Dacron wrote on Oct 10, 2015, 19:00:
It's infuriating remembering your login to a random site, only to forget if you capitalized the first or last letter, or added a 1 to the start or end of your password

Combined with different rules for different sites... it really exercises the memory.
Or it exercises the "reset password" function of the site.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Oct 4, 2015, 21:35 Tom

I emailed Al Lowe some years back thanking him for what happens when you flush the toilet in the bar in LSL1, and he actually responded. Great guy. Good times.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 2, 2015, 20:30 Tom

If you can't afford a Rift/Vive and the PC to drive it, there's always Google Cardboard.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 2, 2015, 20:12 Tom

Maybe you can get a job at HTC.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Employees "Speak Out"
50. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 1, 2015, 22:43 Tom

jdreyer wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 22:28:
She's an executive who claims to have a Masters from UCLA, but has since removed that reference from her LinkedIn page. How can you trust someone like that?

So uh, where did she claim to have a Masters from UCLA? In the interview you linked to, she said "I originally came to the states about ten years ago, studying a masters in business at the Anderson School of UCLA." That doesn't mean she completed it.

1406 Comments. 71 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo