Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1395 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Oct 19, 2015, 18:21 Tom

Nice to see someone building a sim pit for VR! His approach makes some sense given the current level of tech. Hopefully in the not too distant future we'll have gloves with sufficient control and feedback to render physical switches and knobs unnecessary, leaving only the stick, throttle, and rudder pedals as physical necessities.

Of course, none of that is really necessary to have a great time flying in VR. I use DK2+HOTAS+pedals+mouse+keyboard with DCS and it's fantastic.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 15, 2015, 22:45 Tom

Ads? What ads?  

News Comments > Rocket League DLC
6. Re: Rocket League DLC Oct 14, 2015, 00:20 Tom

I don't normally buy cosmetic DLC but that Back to the Future car looks great. These guys deserve the support too. Fantastic game.  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Modes and Season Pass Detailed
12. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Modes and Season Pass Detailed Oct 12, 2015, 23:11 Tom

I thought this game was going to be lame based on some videos I saw maybe a few months back, but I figured I'd better try it out before the beta ended. Turns out it's actually pretty fun. Not sure if the depth is there, but it felt more like old Battlefield than anything else I've played in a while. I'll still at least wait til it's on sale unless there's some really great friend-friendly gameplay in there somewhere. But it's a lot better than I was expecting.

And its use of typography is impressive.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
5. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Oct 11, 2015, 10:46 Tom

Dacron wrote on Oct 10, 2015, 19:00:
It's infuriating remembering your login to a random site, only to forget if you capitalized the first or last letter, or added a 1 to the start or end of your password

Combined with different rules for different sites... it really exercises the memory.
Or it exercises the "reset password" function of the site.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Oct 4, 2015, 21:35 Tom

I emailed Al Lowe some years back thanking him for what happens when you flush the toilet in the bar in LSL1, and he actually responded. Great guy. Good times.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 2, 2015, 20:30 Tom

If you can't afford a Rift/Vive and the PC to drive it, there's always Google Cardboard.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 2, 2015, 20:12 Tom

Maybe you can get a job at HTC.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Employees "Speak Out"
50. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 1, 2015, 22:43 Tom

jdreyer wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 22:28:
She's an executive who claims to have a Masters from UCLA, but has since removed that reference from her LinkedIn page. How can you trust someone like that?

So uh, where did she claim to have a Masters from UCLA? In the interview you linked to, she said "I originally came to the states about ten years ago, studying a masters in business at the Anderson School of UCLA." That doesn't mean she completed it.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 30, 2015, 19:31 Tom

SmyTTor wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 18:43:
Yeah, when Adblock started letting ads through for pay, uBlock saved the day.
Uh huh. All you have to do in ABP is uncheck the box that says "Allow some non-intrusive advertising". I guess this is beyond a lot of people though.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Sep 28, 2015, 20:30 Tom

Pushing the W key in VR works fine. Yeah, there's a little adaptation period. No big deal.

The real problem is when developers mess with the orientation of the camera and decouple it from what the player is doing with their head in the real world. That's a grave error for which there is no excuse. The player's head orientation MUST be respected AT ALL TIMES. Frontier made this mistake with Elite and refused to acknowledge it for a while, before finally backing down and fixing it.

News Comments > Cloud Imperium Games Layoff Report Follow-up
15. Re: Cloud Imperium Games Layoff Report Follow-up Sep 26, 2015, 10:28 Tom

Kxmode wrote on Sep 26, 2015, 01:10:
Businesses can't arbitrarily change their contracts and then force the other person/business to agree to it or else they don't get their stuff.
They can and they do. What are you gonna do about it?

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 25, 2015, 18:58 Tom

Whaa. People actually make their own PCBs? I used a service to have a single PCB of my own design made 16 years ago and it seemed like the practice was cheap enough and commonplace then. Yeah, there's a turnaround time, big deal. Plan for it.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 23, 2015, 19:37 Tom

The GeForce GTX 950 is the graphics card of choice for gamers seeking the competitive edge in MOBAs, and high-fidelity gameplay in past, present, and future triple-A titles.
Uh huh. Right. Who needs a 980 or Titan whatever when you could have a 950?

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 23, 2015, 18:09 Tom

OpenGL proponents always talked a big game but in practice things always fell apart somehow. Every new API (including DX12) can only be proven by delivering solid results in real-world applications. Everything else is just talk.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 22, 2015, 19:57 Tom

Logic doesn't work on these guys. The only language they speak is $$$$$$$$.  

News Comments > Elite Dangerous SteamVR Support Plans
24. Re: Elite Dangerous SteamVR Support Plans Sep 21, 2015, 18:34 Tom

Elite excels massively in sound, graphics, and the feeling of piloting a ship. Unfortunately these accomplishments are completely offset by terrible game design, netcode, and business model / management. It's truly a shame. So much potential, wasted.  

News Comments > DCS Mirage M-2000C Preorders
10. Re: DCS Mirage M-2000C Preorders Sep 19, 2015, 11:28 Tom

Y'know, I tried to use IFF on my MiG-21bis teamkill. Unfortunately I was a noob and trusted the manual which had two failings that burned me here: 1) it doesn't correctly describe IFF symbology on the radar, 2) it neglects to mention the crucial Type 81 switch in the startup sequence, without which IFF doesn't work for reasons I still don't understand.

And isn't December way too early for LN's next planes? So far they've announced the F-14 with "initial internal BETA stage during the first half of 2016".

News Comments > DCS Mirage M-2000C Preorders
8. Re: DCS Mirage M-2000C Preorders Sep 19, 2015, 00:25 Tom

jdreyer wrote on Sep 18, 2015, 21:09:
All things being equal, I would think an M2000 would be able to take out a MiG 21 pretty easily. Are you counting on poor piloting?

You bet I am. Hey, I took out an F-15C with a GAR-8 in my F-86F Sabre once. Anything's possible when you fly with amateurs.

Some people have found success with the MiG-21bis on DCS multiplayer servers. Personally I've yet to get a kill that wasn't a teamkill. But I've come close a few times. It helps tremendously to have GCI (AWACS) support. The radar on the MiG-21bis is crap. So is the RWR. But the plane has so much analog character it's hard not to love it.

News Comments > Rocket League Revenge of the Battle-Cars DLC Announced
4. Re: Rocket League Revenge of the Battle-Cars DLC Announced Sep 18, 2015, 19:37 Tom

Execution man, execution. That's what makes the difference in life.  

1395 Comments. 70 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo