Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1436 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Cities: Skylines After Dark Next Month
2. Re: Cities: Skylines After Dark Next Month Aug 20, 2015, 23:19 Tom

Prices are higher because the sale price is the new actual price. This is the inevitable result of so many sales that are so broad and so deep. If you pay the non-sale price you're paying extra for the privilege of getting the product at a time more of your choosing.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > NVIDIA Streaming Game Sharing Revealed
2. Re: NVIDIA Streaming Game Sharing Revealed Aug 20, 2015, 19:48 Tom

Sony offers this feature on PS4 where it's called Share Play. And a bunch of games blocked it, unfortunately. It'll be interesting to see if anyone is dumb enough to try that on the PC.

Personally I don't care so much about letting both people be able to play the game. I just want a real-time streaming capability. Steam streaming would be great if it didn't have the 8 second lag or whatever which kills it if you're just two people on voice together.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin II Announced
32. Re: Divinity: Original Sin II Announced Aug 12, 2015, 21:19 Tom

Enjoyed the beginning of D:OS but it definitely fell off hard.

Hopefully they do better with the second one.

But, no Kirill.

News Comments > Rocket League Patch Adds Arena, Spectator Mode
20. Re: Rocket League Patch Adds Arena, Spectator Mode Aug 12, 2015, 18:49 Tom

Ok now I see what you mean. It is actually possible to maintain contact with the ball, dribble it down the field, even fake out opponents. But that all requires either a decent amount of skill or a large amount of luck. I'm no pro at the game but I've done it several times, usually not very intentionally. I think you just need to roughly match velocities with the ball and gradually ramp up if you want to stay with it. That is, if the ball is standing still, you need to hit it very lightly on the initial hit, then try to stay with it as closely as possible. Bicycles can help with that initial hit depending on the original difference in velocities.

A friend of mine who's reached veteran status is able to do this a lot more often than I am, so I have a feeling skill is a big component there. He can also send and receive passes pretty well.

News Comments > Rocket League Patch Adds Arena, Spectator Mode
13. Re: Rocket League Patch Adds Arena, Spectator Mode Aug 12, 2015, 15:24 Tom

What the...? Vehicular pinball? No. It's soccer. How is it not soccer? There's so much opportunity for skill and teamwork in this game. Sure, if you just naively boost into (or past) the ball at every opportunity it may seem like pinball I guess. If you stick with it and get further along the learning curve, I think you'll find it to be vehicular soccer.

Of course, it helps a lot to play it together with some friends on voice. If you only ever play with randoms then I can understand the disillusionment.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 9, 2015, 16:43 Tom

Game of the decade? Man. Not for me. I went into it like "wow this is great!" But, 45 hours later, it feels more like quantity over quality. The quality level is still higher than most games, but I think it probably could've been a better game if they hadn't tried to cram so much in there. I'd take 50 truly memorable quests over 500 mostly forgettable ones.

It is a good game though.

News Comments > Saturday Previews
11. Re: Saturday Previews Aug 8, 2015, 20:04 Tom

Yeah, Ars lost some cred with this headline. Usually they're great. Allowing this headline was a mistake though. Maybe it's because it's Ars Technica UK?  

News Comments > Endless Dead Oculus Rift Demo
2. Re: Endless Dead Oculus Rift Demo Aug 8, 2015, 11:18 Tom

VR just puts you into the virtual world. This is often used for first person, but it's totally possible - and comfortable if executed properly - to be observing from other perspectives. Pretty much the same idea as using different types of camera views on a monitor.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown
24. Re: Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown Aug 7, 2015, 21:52 Tom

Parias wrote on Aug 7, 2015, 21:32:
Soo, don't spend your real dollars on them then? All that stuff will be available for in-game space dollars once it's done. This is just pledge stuff.
Doesn't it seem like they have more than enough pledge stuff already without this kind of crap? This is getting out of hand and well into suspicious as all hell territory IMO.

SC seems to be nothing more than an endless ever-growing list of virtual knickknacks with real money pricetags on them. Enough with the money grabs already.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 4, 2015, 00:19 Tom

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 3, 2015, 23:24:
Also, while some of the telemetry stuff in Windows 10 is kind of crappy, if you've ever used a smartphone, free e-mail service or social network, you're already giving away far more information on a daily basis to companies whose sole intent it to monetise it without your permission. And with most of those, you can't turn it off like you can in Windows 10. Anonymous telemetry data is small potatoes compared to how much data Facebook monetises and people happily narrate their entire lives on there.

Things move in a bad direction one small step at a time. In the long term it adds up to hardware you can't control, software you can't control, data entrusted to others to do whatever they please with, and your every move being monetized without you getting any share of the profits. And if something really bad results from any of that? Hope you like arbitration.

The excuse of "well it's just a default" didn't seem to work too well for Microsoft in the past. But thanks to the intense conditioning of social networks, smartphones, and "free" online services, I doubt anything will stop us from moving further along this path now.

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 3, 2015, 19:03 Tom

Go Rocket League!!! Been playing a lot of this game lately with friends and still loving it. Witcher 3 may have a ridiculous amount of high production value content and many game hours to get through, but Rocket League is just pure concentrated fun. Of course they're completely different kinds of games. I'll make it through Witcher 3 someday.  

News Comments > Bashiok Leaving Blizzard
7. Re: Bashiok Leaving Blizzard Aug 1, 2015, 21:17 Tom

Have you guys ever seen what the offices are like at Blizzard?  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 30, 2015, 23:57 Tom

So, because you had a good experience with them, it's weird that other people didn't?

The highest speed available here was - and still is - 50Mbps. When my 1 year promo ended, they didn't double my speed. But they did more than double the price, and they had the nerve to send me a letter claiming the new deal was a special offer since I was such a good customer. I had to drop to 30Mbps just to end up paying a little more than I was already paying for 50Mbps before.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
2. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 27, 2015, 21:08 Tom

That's an interesting interpretation of that article.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jul 27, 2015, 19:50 Tom

"The vulnerabilities show that despite OWASP and other organisations publicising secure coding techniques to avoid these common vulnerabilities, even security companies such as Sophos can get it wrong."

Wow, ya think? Sophos is so bad it flagged itself as malware, rendering itself inoperable. Yeah, they can get it wrong alright.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 26, 2015, 11:16 Tom

"Whoa. Black Lab is still around? Did they play some song about Quake?"

...opens video...

"Oh."

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 25, 2015, 13:45 Tom

!@#$ing Norton, worse than any virus.  

News Comments > DOOM Multiplayer Beta Plans
1. Re: DOOM Multiplayer Beta Plans Jul 23, 2015, 19:12 Tom

Eh, what is this nonsense. I played DOOM multiplayer back in the mid 90s. Over a serial port, then a dialup modem, and finally a LAN. Worked great.

I tried to check Bethesda's site but it seems obsessed with asking for my age and then my country and age.

News Comments > KOTOR 2 Patched; OS X & Linux Support Added
13. Re: KOTOR 2 Patched; OS X & Linux Support Added Jul 21, 2015, 20:22 Tom

Would there really be a KOTOR3 after the SWTOR debacle? I wonder.

Remember all that hype before release about SWTOR being just as good as KOTOR if you wanted to just play it as a single player game? *sigh*

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 19, 2015, 17:35 Tom

Rocket League is awesome. Same basic idea as Carball (which I played back then) but the execution is top notch. Very polished and fun, with more depth. I've had a blast playing it with teams of friends on voice vs. opposing teams of randoms, some of the same friends I played Carball with.

Only real trouble at the moment is that the servers are flaky sometimes. When lag happens, it can be very severe with the cars and ball stuttering or rubberbanding like crazy. They're still working on handling the demand, it seems. It's worked well more often than not so far though. So much fun.

1436 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo