Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1422 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > SUPERHOT VR Released
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 6, 2016, 19:32 Tom

I bought both the Vive and the Rift CV1, after spending 2 years with the DK2, and the Rift gets most of the use. The Vive games are not that far beyond tech demos for the most part, IMO. There's a lot of stuff that's fun for a few hours (or even just minutes in some cases) but it has no lasting replay value. The Rift on the other hand is the superior HMD for cockpit sims (flying, racing, space, mech, etc) and that's the kind of stuff you can easily sink many hundreds of hours into while still having fun - if it's your thing, of course.

I'm still hoping to find that killer app that makes the Vive fun though. Onward wasn't it for me. Way too buggy and unpolished.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 5, 2016, 20:16 Tom

Not really. Programming principles like these are generally pretty timeless and broadly applicable. Of course, some are better than others, and execution is critical.  

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Free Trial This Week
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 29, 2016, 22:23 Tom

Does this one also feature 35GB of uncompressed audio?  

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 20, 2016, 20:00 Tom

It's ok, we have tips for Microsoft too.  

News Comments > SteamVR to Get Linux and Mac OS X Support
11. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 15, 2016, 19:35 Tom

VR is game-changing for cockpit sims, of which there are plenty, and plenty of people enjoying them. I'm so glad to not have to bother with the unnatural head/eye straining movements of TrackIR anymore. The increased FOV and depth perception help tremendously as well.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 11, 2016, 20:43 Tom

Seriously? Come on, you can do better than that.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 11, 2016, 20:09 Tom

Microsoft is doing some douchey stuff here no doubt, but the AV industry is an utter cesspool and they brought this on themselves. The typical third party AV product does a tremendous amount of damage and really doesn't protect people much better than Defender, or even nothing at all. They do everything they can to trick ignorant folks into paying for their garbage. They don't care about the third party software developers THEY screw over with their false positives that stay broken forever.

I'd rather have MS in control with a relatively innocuous AV system than any of that third party trash software.

Btw, Putin, a former KGB operative, has recently announced a major initiative to rid Russia of Microsoft software and attack Microsoft as much as possible. (Of course he's more than happy to exploit Microsoft software in order to influence US elections.) Kaspersky, the man and the company, has a background with the KGB/FSB/military and extensive ties to the Russian government in general. His comments should be considered in their proper context.

News Comments > Obduction VR Released
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 31, 2016, 23:42 Tom

There are good reasons why some devs are targeting the Rift at this point. The Rift and its runtime existed for over a year (maybe two?) before the Vive came along. And the Rift was initially designed for seated or standing VR without motion controllers. So devs worked that into their game designs. Anyone who targets the Vive and doesn't do room-scale or at least motion controllers gets crucified, and for many games it's not that easy to work that stuff into the game when important design decisions were made long ago.

The Vive is also more expensive than the Rift, requires a more expensive PC to operate efficiently (that gap is closing though), is more complex to set up, requires a room with more space, etc. None of those problems are insurmountable for most true VR enthusiasts but they matter to the less hardcore people out there, and devs rely on that broader audience to make a profit. Just look at usage stats on Steam for Vive-only games. There are not a lot of people playing them.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 12, 2016, 00:28 Tom

Simon Says wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 23:41:
All of this could have easily been avoided and/or easily fixed had the battery been replaceable. All smartphone makers using non-replaceable batteries are playing with fire, litteraly.
Clearly the problem here is TOO MUCH GOVERNMENT REGULATION. We need to relieve these corporations of the onerous burden of regulatory compliance so the money they're wasting on that can be put to better use manufacturing more responsible designs.

Did I get that right?

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2016, 02:56.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 11, 2016, 01:24 Tom

bigspender wrote on Oct 10, 2016, 19:26:
There aren't many new games that aren't novelty for VR.

However there are plenty of excellent simulator games that have adpoted VR support such as the updated DCS World 2.0 which just looks amazing in VR.

Parked on the runway and leaning out of your cockpit and being able to accurately comprehend how high off the ground you are sitting is a surreal experience.

Especially if you fly a helicopter mission with night vision goggles, it feels so right wearing a VR helmet.
Cockpit sims are the perfect fit for VR yet lots of people pretend they don't even exist when talking about VR. Flight, space, racing, driving, mech, etc. There are plenty of them and there will be more. But you don't pilot a vehicle using just voice commands or motion controls, you don't normally walk around a vehicle's cockpit while piloting it, and it's not usually a casual pick-up-and-play experience. So it doesn't mesh with the big $$$ scenarios the big players want to push right now.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous May Drop Win32 and DX10
18. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 20, 2016, 00:20 Tom

Yes, I was talking about this post to their forums, which they did not get right. And you can call it nitpicking, but actually dropping the real Win32 is possible (but extremely ill-advised) in the current tech climate. The alternative is called UWP and it's VERY controversial.

Dropping support for 32-bit Windows is a minor announcement. Braben claims only 0.5% of players would be affected. Dropping support for Win32 would be huge. 100% of players would be affected. It's an enormous difference and they should get it right.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous May Drop Win32 and DX10
14. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 19, 2016, 23:15 Tom

Frontier is so inept, it doesn't surprise me they confuse Win32 with 32-bit Windows. Win32 is the name of a set of APIs going back 20 years. These APIs are used whether you're targeting 32-bit or 64-bit Windows. Just plug Win32 into Wikipedia and see what comes up.

If only Braben would hire some competent people to run things over there... UGH.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
11. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 17, 2016, 22:05 Tom

Simon Says wrote on Sep 17, 2016, 19:30:
He never ran to Russia, get your facts straight please. He saw his travel privileges revoked and was stuck in Russia when on the way to Ecuador and he is still stuck like Assange is stuck in the Ecuadorian embassy in the UK.
This bit is so conveniently and consistently ignored by the anti-Snowden folks. Ignorance or malice?

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 14, 2016, 04:59 Tom

As usual, people like to pretend the "acceptable ads" in ABP are mandatory. They're not. You just uncheck a box and you will never see any of this. ABP even points you towards the setting when you install it. It takes all of 5 seconds to uncheck the box.

If ABP ever takes away this option, then they will be deserving of all the rage. Until then, you just look like idiots.

News Comments > VR Funhouse Mod Editor
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 2, 2016, 03:10 Tom

Pr()ZaC wrote on Sep 1, 2016, 21:27:
I know enough about "the history of drivers", as I started coding on a VIC-20 at home. Good old BASIC days. Cry
Me too. VIC-20 FTW!

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 30, 2016, 20:20 Tom

The history of tech is littered with the corpses of those who dreamed big with their head in the clouds, dabbling in things that seem like they could be great but in reality have various practical down-to-earth low-level problems that need to be addressed.

It takes a substantial level of compromise and discipline to reign in scope and ambition and do the hard, un-sexy work needed to make something REAL. Something that functions in the real world and does its job the way people expect it to.

At some point the rubber has to meet the road. Someone's got to roll up their sleeves and make it happen. If you watch any of this guy's videos and pay attention to his thought processes, you can tell it's not his way. He's an idea guy, a dreamer, not a practical get-it-done guy.

He should've recognized this weakness and teamed up with the right person (or people) to complement his skills. But for whatever reasons, he persisted on going it alone. Hopefully others will learn from this.

News Comments > Zenimax vs Oculus Heats Up
26. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 23, 2016, 05:00 Tom

wtf_man wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 20:30:
When you code for a company, the shit is automatically theirs. That's part of your employment agreement. You have to explicitly get permission to work on something on the side that they can't claim as theirs. (like making a little commercial app that has nothing to do with the company's business, nor competes against the company).
This depends on the contract. In 20+ years of getting paid to write code, I've always managed to avoid signing a contract including such language. I have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to companies attempting to own or control what I create outside of work.

News Comments > DCS: Bf 109 K-4 Kurfürst Takes Off
11. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 21, 2016, 19:26 Tom

The larger instruments like the altimeter are readable at a glance. Smaller ones, particularly small text/numbers, may require leaning closer in order to read. The HUD text is readable now.

You can also make that stuff more readable by increasing the supersampling. For the Rift, there's a pixel density slider in the DCS config GUI. For the Vive, you have to edit some config file that affects all SteamVR games.

Personally I use the default level of supersampling and it's fine. I'm still using a GTX 780 though. If I had a 1080 I'd crank it up.

News Comments > Minecraft Oculus Rift Support
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 16, 2016, 01:04 Tom

If you own the original Java version of Minecraft then you can get the Windows 10 version for free. Worked for me, anyway. Performance with the Rift is good. And no Java. That's a good thing in my book.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 14, 2016, 20:40 Tom

You mean "with a keyboard and mouse"? It's normally possible to use a PS4 controller or the like on a PC.  

1422 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo