Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1542 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 14, 2018, 01:47 Tom

Why pick from user-hostile options when you can just go to another web site? Salon, you're hardly the only game in town.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sea of Thieves System Requirements
18. Re: Sea of Thieves System Requirements Feb 13, 2018, 21:23 Tom

Naming their integrated graphics setting "Cursed" almost makes up for the Windows Store exclusive crap ... almost.  

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans
14. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 5, 2018, 03:01 Tom

Numinar wrote on Feb 5, 2018, 01:19:
It's a universe that does not give a fuck about you, because you are not only not the center of it, you are not even a relevant data point in it outside those you get into a brouhaha with (Which is nobody if you play solo or in a PVE private group). If you organise with some people you might be able to flip a system or mess with the economy locally or troll a cancer patient but in a games market where every game involves you being the motherfucking chosen one I think it's a brave, dedicated design decision that should be applauded.
That would all be well and good except that the universe is pure RNG procedural crap with no soul. Yeah, so Stellar Forge is all scientifically accurate, great. That would've made an excellent base for a game. But there's nothing INTERESTING going on out there. Nothing but grind and no reward for it except more grind. Frontier's pathetic attempts to add compelling gameplay to the game have failed every single time. But that'll happen when you have an abject failure of a game designer calling the shots and nobody with the sense to show him the door.

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 12, 2018, 05:50 Tom

NKD wrote on Jan 11, 2018, 20:50:
I wonder if Trump is just a long con designed to make literally any future Republican candidate look like a fucking genius in comparison. Kinda like a store raising prices just so they can have a big sale later and put the price back to where it was.
Look like?

News Comments > Overwatch Mercy and Junkrat Nerfs Inbound
14. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 6, 2018, 06:03 Tom

deqer wrote on Jan 5, 2018, 20:00:
I guess I'll come back in 3 years or so. By that time, Blizzard will have stopped changing the fucking game, and players will be experienced and understand that Overwatch is not Quake or Unreal Tournament; It's League of Legends.
Yeah I also decided to take a break until they can figure out what they want the game to be, if ever. Too many big changes. Of course, chances are I'll never go back to it, just like LoL. Well, I got plenty of hours out of both, but it could've been many more..

News Comments > PUBG Looks to Rebound from Rubber Banding
19. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 28, 2017, 19:42 Tom

Jagacademy wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 11:17:
Wait, what? They allowed Kill Cam in team games?! That is a dead obvious thing NOT to do, these developers are facepalm.
Nobody can see the kill cam until everyone in their group is dead.

News Comments > Play Star Trek Bridge Crew Without VR
12. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 22, 2017, 21:15 Tom

Really glad I didn't buy this. Hopefully someone will see the excitement for this game, understand what people wanted to get out of it, and build something good to meet that demand. But I'm not going to hold my breath.  

News Comments > PUBG 1.0 Plans Include Replays
13. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 16, 2017, 20:35 Tom

PUBG is not for the easily discouraged. You're going to get stomped, over and over and over. The whole point of the game is that not everyone can be a winner every time. But the times when you do win make it all worth it. Almost a hundred people went in and you emerged victorious. Sometimes despite incredible odds when you factor in loot and the nature of the engagements you had. Those wins are deeply satisfying. Even losing can be a lot of fun if you had a good engagement or something new and excitingly different happened.

I wouldn't expect most of the folks around here to "get" this game though. Kinda sad but oh well.

News Comments > SOULCALIBUR VI Announced
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 8, 2017, 20:25 Tom

The legend will never die.

I played the first SC to death on the DC as well. One of the best games ever. I happened to get back into it a little recently via the DEmul emulator, works great.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 21, 2017, 20:50 Tom

As the article says, Google is very clear about this in their privacy policy. The very first sentence of the privacy policy says, "When you use Google services, you trust us with your information."

So, if you want privacy, don't use Google services. Can't have your cake and eat it too. Not in the framework of our current laws that put profit above all else.

News Comments > CCP Layoffs: Dropping VR; Closing Studios
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 30, 2017, 20:41 Tom

EVE: Valkyrie was an un-fun turd by most accounts. A bad game is a bad game regardless of whether you're playing it on a monitor or in VR.

For cockpit sims, VR is superior. Try DCS, iRacing, or Assetto Corsa in VR. There is no going back. The 1:1 physical to virtual mapping of head position and orientation is a tremendous advantage in terms of both immersion and practical utility. And it can only realistically be achieved in VR.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 29, 2017, 21:54 Tom

This is one of many reasons to keep JavaScript on a short leash.  

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus GeForce Hotfix
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 29, 2017, 21:42 Tom

These sorts of problems are to be expected with games targeting DX12/Vulkan. The low-level work that used to get done at the device driver level is now the responsibility of game developers. This will result in many more complex problems that only show up on particular generations of GPUs, not just one vendor vs. the other.

Basically, if you're playing a new game that targets DX12/Vulkan and your hardware is somewhat old or unusual, you're at even more risk than usual for having problems.

Get ready to see a lot more of these sorts of problems in the future!

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Released; Menu Includes Countdown
34. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 29, 2017, 00:28 Tom

Creston wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 22:42:
Oh, right, I'd forgotten about that. I never understood why Germany did that. LEARN from your fucking history, don't try to pretend it never existed.
To be fair, all the major players in WWII have tried very hard to bury the parts of history they're not too proud of. Some are just more overt about it than others.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
17. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 25, 2017, 20:07 Tom

Kinect was a reaction to the Wii's runaway success. A rather late reaction. Wii came out Nov. 2006, Kinect came out Nov. 2010.

It's really interesting to me how Nintendo succeeded at motion controllers while MS and Sony failed. I think it's a case study in execution. Nintendo just plain out-executed them on all fronts.

Even today, Nintendo is raking in the bucks with the Switch. The Switch finally dropped support for the original Wiimotes but from what I've read, its Joy-Con controllers include motion-sensing functionality that continues to evolve this technology.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 23, 2017, 20:08 Tom

Donating CPU cycles is really just a convoluted way of donating money. The harder your CPU is working, the more power it's consuming, and that electricity costs money. The economics of this are highly obfuscated. How much are you spending on that electricity? What is the value of the resulting cryptocurrency that's being mined? How does this compare to ad income? Who knows.

I think you probably might as well just donate money more directly, whether it's crypto or fiat. The folks behind the Brave web browser say they're trying to set up a system to counter ads by doing that. Not sure they or anyone else will be very successful doing that, but it makes more sense to me than allowing web sites to hammer your CPU.

News Comments > Will Lawbreakers Go Free-to-Play?
23. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 15, 2017, 08:34 Tom

10 concurrent players? OUCH.

It's going to take more than F2P to save this thing.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 10, 2017, 01:51 Tom

Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 23:33:
Oh well. Like I always said, if someone wants to trust their life to Google/Tesla's/GM's lowest-bidder software engineer, they are more than welcome to do so. :)
So you're ok with one of those things crashing into you then?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 2, 2017, 04:32 Tom

I figured I oughta hold off on DOS2 until at least a few patches were out, but I had no idea things were that bad. Yikes!

Guess I'll be sticking with PUBG for a while yet.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 22, 2017, 04:32 Tom

Years ago I thought NoScript was an extreme solution for the paranoid... unnecessary, overkill. Now, it seems almost essential. Your browser can't get "hijacked to mine cryptocurrency" if you don't let it run JavaScript.

It would be nice to have a bit more visibility and control over what whitelisted sites are doing with JavaScript, but I understand that challenge of doing that without getting too burdensome on the user.

1542 Comments. 78 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo