Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1533 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 21, 2017, 20:50 Tom

As the article says, Google is very clear about this in their privacy policy. The very first sentence of the privacy policy says, "When you use Google services, you trust us with your information."

So, if you want privacy, don't use Google services. Can't have your cake and eat it too. Not in the framework of our current laws that put profit above all else.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > CCP Layoffs: Dropping VR; Closing Studios
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 30, 2017, 20:41 Tom

EVE: Valkyrie was an un-fun turd by most accounts. A bad game is a bad game regardless of whether you're playing it on a monitor or in VR.

For cockpit sims, VR is superior. Try DCS, iRacing, or Assetto Corsa in VR. There is no going back. The 1:1 physical to virtual mapping of head position and orientation is a tremendous advantage in terms of both immersion and practical utility. And it can only realistically be achieved in VR.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 29, 2017, 21:54 Tom

This is one of many reasons to keep JavaScript on a short leash.  

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus GeForce Hotfix
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 29, 2017, 21:42 Tom

These sorts of problems are to be expected with games targeting DX12/Vulkan. The low-level work that used to get done at the device driver level is now the responsibility of game developers. This will result in many more complex problems that only show up on particular generations of GPUs, not just one vendor vs. the other.

Basically, if you're playing a new game that targets DX12/Vulkan and your hardware is somewhat old or unusual, you're at even more risk than usual for having problems.

Get ready to see a lot more of these sorts of problems in the future!

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Released; Menu Includes Countdown
34. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 29, 2017, 00:28 Tom

Creston wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 22:42:
Oh, right, I'd forgotten about that. I never understood why Germany did that. LEARN from your fucking history, don't try to pretend it never existed.
To be fair, all the major players in WWII have tried very hard to bury the parts of history they're not too proud of. Some are just more overt about it than others.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
17. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 25, 2017, 20:07 Tom

Kinect was a reaction to the Wii's runaway success. A rather late reaction. Wii came out Nov. 2006, Kinect came out Nov. 2010.

It's really interesting to me how Nintendo succeeded at motion controllers while MS and Sony failed. I think it's a case study in execution. Nintendo just plain out-executed them on all fronts.

Even today, Nintendo is raking in the bucks with the Switch. The Switch finally dropped support for the original Wiimotes but from what I've read, its Joy-Con controllers include motion-sensing functionality that continues to evolve this technology.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 23, 2017, 20:08 Tom

Donating CPU cycles is really just a convoluted way of donating money. The harder your CPU is working, the more power it's consuming, and that electricity costs money. The economics of this are highly obfuscated. How much are you spending on that electricity? What is the value of the resulting cryptocurrency that's being mined? How does this compare to ad income? Who knows.

I think you probably might as well just donate money more directly, whether it's crypto or fiat. The folks behind the Brave web browser say they're trying to set up a system to counter ads by doing that. Not sure they or anyone else will be very successful doing that, but it makes more sense to me than allowing web sites to hammer your CPU.

News Comments > Will Lawbreakers Go Free-to-Play?
23. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 15, 2017, 08:34 Tom

10 concurrent players? OUCH.

It's going to take more than F2P to save this thing.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 10, 2017, 01:51 Tom

Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 23:33:
Oh well. Like I always said, if someone wants to trust their life to Google/Tesla's/GM's lowest-bidder software engineer, they are more than welcome to do so. :)
So you're ok with one of those things crashing into you then?

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 2, 2017, 04:32 Tom

I figured I oughta hold off on DOS2 until at least a few patches were out, but I had no idea things were that bad. Yikes!

Guess I'll be sticking with PUBG for a while yet.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 22, 2017, 04:32 Tom

Years ago I thought NoScript was an extreme solution for the paranoid... unnecessary, overkill. Now, it seems almost essential. Your browser can't get "hijacked to mine cryptocurrency" if you don't let it run JavaScript.

It would be nice to have a bit more visibility and control over what whitelisted sites are doing with JavaScript, but I understand that challenge of doing that without getting too burdensome on the user.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
11. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 19, 2017, 00:03 Tom

jdreyer wrote on Sep 18, 2017, 13:36:
Dammit, if you can't trust CCleaner, who can you trust?
VirusTotal.

News Comments > Two Steam Concurrent User Records Broken
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 17, 2017, 22:15 Tom

Grokk wrote on Sep 17, 2017, 18:51:
What did these guys do right, that games like DayZ and H1Z1 didn't?

Even as far as shooters go, the one shot, no respawns king of the hill games were never exactly popular.

Personally, I'm stoked at their achievement, but I just don't get it.

PUBG has a lot going for it IMO. It's fun, intense, good balance of luck and skill, good balance between casual and hardcore (very important), fun to play with friends, and leaves you coming back for more. The "one more round" factor is very high. It's even fun to spectate, which is rare for me - I still won't watch a streamer (except the occasional highlight) but I usually enjoy watching my friends continue the fight after I've gotten myself killed. And it's a lot less buggy than people say. Steam says I've got over 70 hours into the game so far and I've only run into a few minor bugs in the main menu (kind of a piece of crap) plus some wacky vehicle physics that is usually easily avoided with a little effort to drive carefully.

I went into it with low expectations, thinking it was just another fad game. I quickly discovered how wrong I was once I started playing.

The game's definitely not for everyone, though. Certainly not for the easily discouraged. You will die a lot and you have to be able to accept that. With 100 people going into a round, not everyone can make it to the end, by definition.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
14. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 16, 2017, 20:05 Tom

Creston wrote on Sep 16, 2017, 14:58:
What are you using on your phone? I've yet to find a good mobile ad-blocker. :|
On Android, check out Brave. It's a customized version of Chrome that blocks ads, JavaScript, cookies, etc. It has easy controls to selectively permit stuff but I tend to just use another browser for trustworthy sites that don't have ads.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 13, 2017, 19:51 Tom

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 19:10:
Cassini's last photo.

Haha, no. A few seconds of searching reveals that's "an artist's view of what Cassini might see during its final plunge into the clouds of Saturn.NASA/JPL-Caltech"

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 13, 2017, 04:37 Tom

I think you know exactly where he got that insight...  

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 12, 2017, 08:17 Tom

It's ok, I'm sure he doesn't care what your opinion is either. And you're both free to write whatever you want. Ain't it great?  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 11, 2017, 07:51 Tom

It's not too confusing, it's just inefficient. Ok, so you type some text into your one bar. Now how does it get turned into either browsing directly to somewhere (URL) or a search? You have to rely on the browser to guess (maybe it's correct, maybe not), your URL gets passed to a search engine (waste of time plus they track your browsing), or you have to take additional action to tell the browser what it should do with your text.

With separate address and search boxes, there's no chance of your time being wasted. It's unambiguous which action you want. You enter the text, hit enter, and it does the right thing with no further steps needed.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
18. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 11, 2017, 05:13 Tom

Comparing raw performance from generation to generation is of little value. What matters much more is efficiency: performance per watt. It's no longer practical to keep cranking up the TDP and relying on ever beefier cooling solutions.

If you compare performance per watt from generation to generation, NVIDIA has been making huge gains.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 10, 2017, 19:50 Tom

The search bar is not redundant. The address bar is for putting in a URL. The search bar is for doing a search. Why does it have to be more complicated than that? Mozilla is trying so hard to kill Firefox...  

1533 Comments. 77 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo