Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1447 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 20, 2017, 19:01 Tom

The choice of graphics API is not just a matter of budget and time constraints. It's a matter of using the right tool for the job. Different jobs have different needs and priorities. An experienced developer who is preparing to do actual work will evaluate all of the options available and choose what makes sense overall. Make the tradeoffs.

Then you have people who will pick DX12 because 12 is a bigger number than 11 or 9. Haha. Have fun with that!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 18, 2017, 20:04 Tom

Calling it a robot tax or automation tax is just a feeble attempt to avoid calling it a higher corporate tax. If worker income tax revenue is declining, you have to make up that shortfall by actually making corporations pay tax on their profits. Good luck with that though. So let's call it a robot tax! Ha.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 16, 2017, 02:31 Tom

Maybe Gabe is really just a big Jack Tramiel fan.
Jack refuses to allow budgets to be used because he believes “they are a license to steal”: To this day, no one has even a solid guess as to what it cost to engineer and prototype the best selling computer in the world, the Commodore 64.

Commodore History » Jack Tramiel - King of the Home Computer

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 16, 2017, 01:36 Tom

mag wrote on Feb 15, 2017, 21:11:
And three people told me in the past couple of days that when they graduate (soon), they're going to be focusing on Canada and Australia instead. They don't feel welcome anymore, and they think the damage Trump does to the view of immigrants is going to far outlast his (hopefully short) reign.

These are people we want here. Smart, highly-educated, motivated, in demand, with intention to settle permanently. And we're chasing them off.
Anyone who is actually smart should realize that Trump and his offensive policies don't reflect the values of the people of the US as a whole. If they feel unwelcome because of Trump, that's their shortsighted choice and not a very smart one in my opinion. Let em go live in Canada and Australia. I'm sure they'll just love the politics there. Meanwhile the people who are actually smart will be thumbing their noses at politics and enjoying life in the real world, wherever they choose to live.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 14, 2017, 18:19 Tom

A shrewd business move (by PewDiePie) given the current political climate.  

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Arena Sales Ending
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 14, 2017, 18:17 Tom

CQC was a pathetic super low effort attempt at extracting more profit from this turd. What they're not telling you about their metrics is that most people who tried to play CQC gave up after leaving matchmaking going for 5, 10, 30 minutes and still not getting into a game.

Has there ever been a worse company when it comes to multiplayer support?

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 12, 2017, 18:13 Tom

Easy to blame the mayor here but Linux is a total failure as a desktop OS and there are strong fundamental reasons why that will never change.

(Windows is only a partial failure, firmly established as the least horrible option.)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 8, 2017, 18:25 Tom

Blue... how could you inflict country music upon us like that? I felt a crawling sensation myself.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 6, 2017, 20:46 Tom

Mel Brooks summed it up well back in 1981.  

News Comments > Splash Damage Self-Publishing Dirty Bomb
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 6, 2017, 05:17 Tom

yuastnav wrote on Feb 6, 2017, 04:14:
Dirty Bomb was good but the F2P/P2W element killed this game for me. Too much grind, stupid unlock system. I would've much preferred just to pay 40€ for it and be done with it. But now, they had to be greedy.
Agreed, there's strong enough competition in this space (Overwatch) that F2P/P2W/grindy crap can go wither in obscurity. And even if they improve it, most people who experienced it earlier are unlikely to give it another shot.

News Comments > ZeniMax Wins $500M in Oculus Lawsuit
20. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 2, 2017, 03:23 Tom

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Feb 2, 2017, 02:21:
In software development it's so tempting to want to take code with you, especially the really clever stuff you tend to re-use all the time, but you just can't fucking do it. It's just intellectually lazy...
You can and he did. It's extremely commonplace. To pretend otherwise is just intellectually dishonest.

News Comments > NVIDIA on GFE Mandatory Logins
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 17, 2017, 21:17 Tom

Fortunately this software is completely optional. I don't install it anymore and I'm kinda glad they gave me more reasons not to.  

News Comments > Windows 10 Game Mode Plans
18. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 13, 2017, 22:25 Tom

Slick wrote on Jan 13, 2017, 21:43:
And for the record this is a GREAT feature. Not just for gamers, but for professionals.

With the hordes of people fleeing from Apple, they have to go somewhere. And as someone who's begrudgingly used a mac for live DJing performances for the past decade, I can tell you that if I could click one button and suspend all extraneous services that aren't critical, keep the DPC latency nice and low, and ensure the system is ultra-stable, I'd switch to spinning on Win 10 in a heartbeat. It would be a dream come true to be honest.
Why? Everything on the Mac "just works", right? And everyone knows all the cool people use Macs. What kind of uncool DJ would dare show up with something that doesn't have an Apple logo on it?

News Comments > Windows 10 Update Breaks Multi-Monitor Support
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 11, 2017, 21:24 Tom

One way to avoid issues like this is to stay at least one major release of the OS behind, letting others act as the guinea pigs. And I don't mean Windows 7 - you can actually accomplish this on Windows 10 now.

Instead of allowing the automatic upgrades from one major release to the next, get O&O ShutUp10 and check the option for deferring upgrades. You'll still be more or less forced to get security updates for the older release but it tends to be minor stuff and not the mess of breaking crap that happens on the latest OS release.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 10, 2017, 20:45 Tom

Yeah, cockpit sims in VR are soooooooo in need of going mobile!!!

Give me a break. There's a place for mobile and a place for non-mobile. Mobile didn't render desktop PCs obsolete and it won't render tethered VR obsolete either (even as the "tether" becomes short-range wireless).

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 10, 2017, 20:29 Tom

With Samsung providing the batteries, we can count on internal combustion to remain alive and well for some time.  

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda in March
18. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 5, 2017, 04:45 Tom

Jerykk wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 03:53:
I don't know if including a gay character really has that much of a detrimental impact on the overall story. People tend to overreact to even the most minor annoyances. For example, ME3 had a crappy ending but the ending constituted maybe 1% of a 40+ hour game. That didn't stop people from proclaiming that ME3 was complete garbage and that the entire series was ruined as a result.

Time spent landing a plane may only be 1% of the flight time but it's a rather important 1%.

The ME3 ending sucked. Did it make the whole game/series complete garbage? No. But it certainly had a big negative impact, and rightfully so. With each game in the series they kept leading people on, building things up, and then in the end it went nowhere. Players with hundreds of hours of playtime in the series were left with a very unsatisfying resolution to the story. And why? All the money spent on development, all the money they raked in from sales, and management didn't have the good sense to hire some decent writers.

The most frustrating thing about it is that it's hardly a problem specific to Mass Effect. It's the norm for games (and movies) to fail horribly when it comes to the writing.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 31, 2016, 23:40 Tom

Huh. Since when did the Washington Post have any credibility anyway?

All the "news" outlets are exceedingly poor, of course. Sadly lacking indeed.

News Comments > Into the Black
17. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 28, 2016, 02:02 Tom

Kxmode wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 01:38:
Sir Paul? I was thinking about the other Sirs: Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Anthony Hopkins, and Ian Holmes. Oh please, don't let them die. :(

Do you think they'll live forever? Only Jonathan Frakes can do that.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 21, 2016, 18:50 Tom

I held out on upgrading from a 5 year old MBP but when I saw they screwed up the keyboard I was like "see ya Apple, I'm out". I'll just keep using the old MBP. If I really need a new laptop it'll have to be a Microsoft or Dell (ugh ugh ugh) unless Apple gets their act together, but that seems unlikely. What are they smoking over there anyway?  

1447 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo