Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1456 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Starbreeze Investing in System Shock 3
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 14, 2017, 20:39 Tom

That $12M comes at a heavy price, if this thing doesn't flop. I hope it's worth it. Got a bad feeling about this.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Overwatch Custom Game Exploit Warning
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 9, 2017, 18:50 Tom

I hit the "custom game" button once just to take a look at the server list. EVERY game name was some sort of XP idle crap. C'mon Blizzard. You couldn't stop this in the first place? And you have to have an "escalation plan" to stop it? Just remove XP from custom games and be done with it. This is not complicated.  

News Comments > LG VR HMD Specs
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 1, 2017, 23:33 Tom

Those quotes around "next generation" are definitely necessary. There needs to be more than just a small bump in resolution to be taken seriously as a next generation VR HMD. Of course, it doesn't hurt to have competition in the current generation, but unless they get this out in a pretty reasonable timeframe their window of opportunity could be rather short.  

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Gameplay Video
18. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 1, 2017, 19:23 Tom

I wasn't planning on watching this video but after seeing all the bitterness in this thread, I had to see what the deal is. Is the game really total crap, or is it just people being whiny "get off my lawn" old folks? Looks like about 90% of the latter to me. The jury's still out for me on the game, but the complaints in this thread are ridiculous IMO. That's the best you guys could do?  

News Comments > Overwatch Season 4 Begins
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 1, 2017, 18:30 Tom

Wow, the info in this summary is totally wrong. You don't have to reach top 500 to be rewarded! You do, however, have to be in the top 500 at the end of the season in order to get the top 500 rewards. Previously you just had to get into the top 500 at any point during the season to get those rewards.  

News Comments > LG Developing "Next Generation" VR HMD
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 28, 2017, 00:02 Tom

Nobody can claim a "a high fidelity, next generation VR experience" without upping the resolution at least.  

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda System Specs
15. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 26, 2017, 03:08 Tom

Slick wrote on Feb 25, 2017, 23:52:
Wow, 3 people replied all who are willfully misinformed.

In any other engine you don't get 25% the performance driving 4x the pixels.

- draw calls
- z buffer calls
- geometry/mesh building
- texturizing
- ai calculations

etc. etc. etc.

So 100% of the work per frame that the CPU does, with many operations that the GPU does are the same no matter what resolution you're working with.

These all have to be done only once per pass, you don't have to do them 4 times to drive 4x the pixels.

No other engine operates like that. Look at literally any benchmark ever. 1080p doesn't get you 4x the FPS as 4k. But for some reason that's how UE4 works, seems woefully inefficient.

Yes, other engines can operate like that. It depends on the conditions. If you get 1/4 the framerate when you up the pixel count by a factor of 4, that normally means you're fillrate limited. It doesn't matter how long all the other tasks take if you're waiting on fillrate to complete the frame every time. It's called a bottleneck.

If you want to understand what's going on instead of just crying that it "seems woefully inefficient", maybe you should get UE4 and run some tests using different configurations and workloads. The engine is available at no cost with source code so it's not exactly like it's a mysterious impenetrable black box.

News Comments > ZeniMax Seeks Rift Injunction
13. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 25, 2017, 07:41 Tom

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 25, 2017, 02:57:
Didn't I read that Facebook will appeal the original ruling? Carmack certainly believes that he did not do anything wrong.
How can you be certain of what Carmack believes? What he believes and what he wants others to believe aren't necessarily the same.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 21, 2017, 21:15 Tom

I wonder if that guy knows he has to file a tax return with the US even if he lives elsewhere, for as long as he retains his US citizenship. The US is one of only two countries in the world that requires this of its citizens, the other being Eritrea.

Depending on his circumstances and the skill of his accountant(s), he may even still end up paying taxes to the US.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 20, 2017, 19:01 Tom

The choice of graphics API is not just a matter of budget and time constraints. It's a matter of using the right tool for the job. Different jobs have different needs and priorities. An experienced developer who is preparing to do actual work will evaluate all of the options available and choose what makes sense overall. Make the tradeoffs.

Then you have people who will pick DX12 because 12 is a bigger number than 11 or 9. Haha. Have fun with that!

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 18, 2017, 20:04 Tom

Calling it a robot tax or automation tax is just a feeble attempt to avoid calling it a higher corporate tax. If worker income tax revenue is declining, you have to make up that shortfall by actually making corporations pay tax on their profits. Good luck with that though. So let's call it a robot tax! Ha.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 16, 2017, 02:31 Tom

Maybe Gabe is really just a big Jack Tramiel fan.
Jack refuses to allow budgets to be used because he believes “they are a license to steal”: To this day, no one has even a solid guess as to what it cost to engineer and prototype the best selling computer in the world, the Commodore 64.

Commodore History » Jack Tramiel - King of the Home Computer

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 16, 2017, 01:36 Tom

mag wrote on Feb 15, 2017, 21:11:
And three people told me in the past couple of days that when they graduate (soon), they're going to be focusing on Canada and Australia instead. They don't feel welcome anymore, and they think the damage Trump does to the view of immigrants is going to far outlast his (hopefully short) reign.

These are people we want here. Smart, highly-educated, motivated, in demand, with intention to settle permanently. And we're chasing them off.
Anyone who is actually smart should realize that Trump and his offensive policies don't reflect the values of the people of the US as a whole. If they feel unwelcome because of Trump, that's their shortsighted choice and not a very smart one in my opinion. Let em go live in Canada and Australia. I'm sure they'll just love the politics there. Meanwhile the people who are actually smart will be thumbing their noses at politics and enjoying life in the real world, wherever they choose to live.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 14, 2017, 18:19 Tom

A shrewd business move (by PewDiePie) given the current political climate.  

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Arena Sales Ending
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 14, 2017, 18:17 Tom

CQC was a pathetic super low effort attempt at extracting more profit from this turd. What they're not telling you about their metrics is that most people who tried to play CQC gave up after leaving matchmaking going for 5, 10, 30 minutes and still not getting into a game.

Has there ever been a worse company when it comes to multiplayer support?

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 12, 2017, 18:13 Tom

Easy to blame the mayor here but Linux is a total failure as a desktop OS and there are strong fundamental reasons why that will never change.

(Windows is only a partial failure, firmly established as the least horrible option.)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 8, 2017, 18:25 Tom

Blue... how could you inflict country music upon us like that? I felt a crawling sensation myself.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 6, 2017, 20:46 Tom

Mel Brooks summed it up well back in 1981.  

News Comments > Splash Damage Self-Publishing Dirty Bomb
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 6, 2017, 05:17 Tom

yuastnav wrote on Feb 6, 2017, 04:14:
Dirty Bomb was good but the F2P/P2W element killed this game for me. Too much grind, stupid unlock system. I would've much preferred just to pay 40€ for it and be done with it. But now, they had to be greedy.
Agreed, there's strong enough competition in this space (Overwatch) that F2P/P2W/grindy crap can go wither in obscurity. And even if they improve it, most people who experienced it earlier are unlikely to give it another shot.

News Comments > ZeniMax Wins $500M in Oculus Lawsuit
20. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 2, 2017, 03:23 Tom

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Feb 2, 2017, 02:21:
In software development it's so tempting to want to take code with you, especially the really clever stuff you tend to re-use all the time, but you just can't fucking do it. It's just intellectually lazy...
You can and he did. It's extremely commonplace. To pretend otherwise is just intellectually dishonest.

1456 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo