Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1406 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Zenimax vs Oculus Heats Up
26. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 23, 2016, 05:00 Tom

wtf_man wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 20:30:
When you code for a company, the shit is automatically theirs. That's part of your employment agreement. You have to explicitly get permission to work on something on the side that they can't claim as theirs. (like making a little commercial app that has nothing to do with the company's business, nor competes against the company).
This depends on the contract. In 20+ years of getting paid to write code, I've always managed to avoid signing a contract including such language. I have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to companies attempting to own or control what I create outside of work.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DCS: Bf 109 K-4 Kurfürst Takes Off
11. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 21, 2016, 19:26 Tom

The larger instruments like the altimeter are readable at a glance. Smaller ones, particularly small text/numbers, may require leaning closer in order to read. The HUD text is readable now.

You can also make that stuff more readable by increasing the supersampling. For the Rift, there's a pixel density slider in the DCS config GUI. For the Vive, you have to edit some config file that affects all SteamVR games.

Personally I use the default level of supersampling and it's fine. I'm still using a GTX 780 though. If I had a 1080 I'd crank it up.

News Comments > Minecraft Oculus Rift Support
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 16, 2016, 01:04 Tom

If you own the original Java version of Minecraft then you can get the Windows 10 version for free. Worked for me, anyway. Performance with the Rift is good. And no Java. That's a good thing in my book.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 14, 2016, 20:40 Tom

You mean "with a keyboard and mouse"? It's normally possible to use a PS4 controller or the like on a PC.  

News Comments > Rocket League Adding Rumble Mode
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 8, 2016, 18:45 Tom

I love this game to death, but only the main Rocket League maps/gameplay. All of the custom stuff has been meh at best for me. As long as they don't screw up the main game I'm fine with them experimenting though.  

News Comments > New Titan X Released
19. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 2, 2016, 19:09 Tom

Titan has always been about paying a lot more for a little more power, to be at the top end. So what? Obviously there's demand for it. I've seen countless specs on PC builds that list one or more Titan cards.

Plot performance vs. value for all these cards and choose where you're comfortable at given what you want to do and how much money you want to spend. It's pretty easy and it's been like this for about as long as GPUs have existed.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
13. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 1, 2016, 05:21 Tom

What do they use to power the slow machines, a 6502?  

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 31, 2016, 21:51 Tom

I've been using chipped credit cards for a while. It's always been chip-and-signature. I have PINs set but I've never been prompted to enter them. It's always either a signature or nothing at all, just like with the mag-stripe-only cards except I have to insert the card instead of swipe. This has been the case using US cards in both the US and Japan.

Transactions involving card insertion take noticeably longer. It definitely slows down lines at busy restaurants and retail stores, and the duration is variable. It's not too bad at some places, whereas at other places it seems to take forever. In all cases it's slower than swiping.

Speaking of swiping, there are a lot of places that have user-facing card readers that clearly allow insertion of the card, yet only swiping works. Subway, for example. Sometimes places will put a sign on the reader or proactively tell me I need to swipe beforehand, but other times I go to insert the card and then they tell me. It's really annoying. They have the new equipment. Why doesn't it work? They don't know and neither do I.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
34. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 31, 2016, 19:43 Tom

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 31, 2016, 10:17:
Better guide here if you do not want to automate login but just get rid of the lock screen only:

http://windows.wonderhowto.com/how-to/disable-lock-screen-windows-10-0162965/

Thanks. I already got rid of the lock screen, but I mistakenly thought Group Policy was the only way to do it. This latest article says they're preventing owners of editions other than Education and Enterprise from using Group Policy to disable the lock screen. Fortunately there's also a way to disable it via a registry entry. They'd better not disable that too.

The stupid "swipe" style lock screen should be disabled by default on desktop PCs. If they can't have the decency to do that, there should be an easy to use setting to disable it. What is the point of it? Really. A lock screen is there to prevent accidental inputs on a phone or tablet which is stowed in a pocket or bag or something. A desktop computer is not a phone or tablet.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
24. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 31, 2016, 08:57 Tom

The lock screen is completely retarded on a desktop PC. I can't understand why they want to force people to use that crap.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 29, 2016, 18:37 Tom

Great phone OS, terrible app support. MS bungled things at just about every turn, as is their custom. They bought Skype and after years and years it still doesn't run half as good on WP as it does on Android. Super slow, buggy, relatively no features.

MS continues their downward spiral.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
5. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 22, 2016, 18:29 Tom

I think this project has made quite a substantial contribution to the ruining of the credibility of the crowdfunding concept. Well done, Inafune!  

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Jun 20, 2016, 23:02 Tom

Pigeon wrote on Jun 20, 2016, 21:38:
If they're going to claim video games and other media cause violence, can I claim day time talk shows cause stupidity? At least video games don't try to pass fictitious entertainment off as reality.
Yes, you can claim whatever you want to claim, just like them. But the difference is, they got you to watch their stupid claims. You bowed to their will. They achieved exactly what they set out to achieve. You would do well to remember that.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: edge experiment Jun 20, 2016, 22:43 Tom

I'd rather waste battery than use a Microsoft web browser... energy well spent.  

News Comments > Overwatch Roadmap
3. Re: Overwatch Roadmap Jun 15, 2016, 21:40 Tom

Odd, it's always worked flawlessly for me. And it makes it incredibly easy to play with a group of friends together. More than any other FPS I've ever played. You can join a group even while they're playing, spectate, and then when they finish a round it'll automatically find a new server so everyone can play together as a group. It's totally effortless. Seems like most FPS games make you fight tooth and nail to play together, and then you still end up stuck on opposite teams half the time.  

News Comments > Rocket League Neo Tokyo This Month
3. Re: Rocket League Neo Tokyo This Month Jun 11, 2016, 15:44 Tom

Geez, you weren't kidding. Masterful.

I daresay they're ... firing on all (4) cylinders here.

News Comments > Rocket League Soars Past $110M
3. Re: Rocket League Soars Past $110M Jun 1, 2016, 23:32 Tom

They deserve every penny. With Overwatch and all this cool VR stuff happening, I still find myself wanting to play Rocket League more than anything.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 23, 2016, 10:31 Tom

Tachikoma wrote on Apr 23, 2016, 05:28:
In any rate, UK is not perfect by any means but calling it an Orwellian nightmare by somebody from the good ol` US of A is a borderline farce. Lol...dude...have some perspective. I don`t have to worry about getting thrown in jail/shot on sight for small possession, jaywalking, or in general being alive. The cops are actually helpful most of the time.
Do you believe everything you see online?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 21, 2016, 20:22 Tom

Another claim of new vastly superior battery technology that will never see the light of day... *yawn*  

News Comments > The Assembly This Summer
1. Re: The Assembly This Summer Apr 8, 2016, 20:17 Tom

Dang it, I was hoping it was this Assembly in VR. Or at least this one.  

1406 Comments. 71 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo