Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1523 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 22, 2017, 04:32 Tom

Years ago I thought NoScript was an extreme solution for the paranoid... unnecessary, overkill. Now, it seems almost essential. Your browser can't get "hijacked to mine cryptocurrency" if you don't let it run JavaScript.

It would be nice to have a bit more visibility and control over what whitelisted sites are doing with JavaScript, but I understand that challenge of doing that without getting too burdensome on the user.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
11. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 19, 2017, 00:03 Tom

jdreyer wrote on Sep 18, 2017, 13:36:
Dammit, if you can't trust CCleaner, who can you trust?
VirusTotal.

News Comments > Two Steam Concurrent User Records Broken
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 17, 2017, 22:15 Tom

Grokk wrote on Sep 17, 2017, 18:51:
What did these guys do right, that games like DayZ and H1Z1 didn't?

Even as far as shooters go, the one shot, no respawns king of the hill games were never exactly popular.

Personally, I'm stoked at their achievement, but I just don't get it.

PUBG has a lot going for it IMO. It's fun, intense, good balance of luck and skill, good balance between casual and hardcore (very important), fun to play with friends, and leaves you coming back for more. The "one more round" factor is very high. It's even fun to spectate, which is rare for me - I still won't watch a streamer (except the occasional highlight) but I usually enjoy watching my friends continue the fight after I've gotten myself killed. And it's a lot less buggy than people say. Steam says I've got over 70 hours into the game so far and I've only run into a few minor bugs in the main menu (kind of a piece of crap) plus some wacky vehicle physics that is usually easily avoided with a little effort to drive carefully.

I went into it with low expectations, thinking it was just another fad game. I quickly discovered how wrong I was once I started playing.

The game's definitely not for everyone, though. Certainly not for the easily discouraged. You will die a lot and you have to be able to accept that. With 100 people going into a round, not everyone can make it to the end, by definition.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
14. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 16, 2017, 20:05 Tom

Creston wrote on Sep 16, 2017, 14:58:
What are you using on your phone? I've yet to find a good mobile ad-blocker. :|
On Android, check out Brave. It's a customized version of Chrome that blocks ads, JavaScript, cookies, etc. It has easy controls to selectively permit stuff but I tend to just use another browser for trustworthy sites that don't have ads.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 13, 2017, 19:51 Tom

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 19:10:
Cassini's last photo.

Haha, no. A few seconds of searching reveals that's "an artist's view of what Cassini might see during its final plunge into the clouds of Saturn.NASA/JPL-Caltech"

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 13, 2017, 04:37 Tom

I think you know exactly where he got that insight...  

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 12, 2017, 08:17 Tom

It's ok, I'm sure he doesn't care what your opinion is either. And you're both free to write whatever you want. Ain't it great?  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 11, 2017, 07:51 Tom

It's not too confusing, it's just inefficient. Ok, so you type some text into your one bar. Now how does it get turned into either browsing directly to somewhere (URL) or a search? You have to rely on the browser to guess (maybe it's correct, maybe not), your URL gets passed to a search engine (waste of time plus they track your browsing), or you have to take additional action to tell the browser what it should do with your text.

With separate address and search boxes, there's no chance of your time being wasted. It's unambiguous which action you want. You enter the text, hit enter, and it does the right thing with no further steps needed.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
18. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 11, 2017, 05:13 Tom

Comparing raw performance from generation to generation is of little value. What matters much more is efficiency: performance per watt. It's no longer practical to keep cranking up the TDP and relying on ever beefier cooling solutions.

If you compare performance per watt from generation to generation, NVIDIA has been making huge gains.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 10, 2017, 19:50 Tom

The search bar is not redundant. The address bar is for putting in a URL. The search bar is for doing a search. Why does it have to be more complicated than that? Mozilla is trying so hard to kill Firefox...  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 10, 2017, 19:47 Tom

How do the budgets compare between Destiny 2 and PUBG?  

News Comments > Labor Day Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 5, 2017, 07:38 Tom

You guys are buying into the hype SOOOOO HARD. Keep on living in that dream world where AI can do absolutely anything, in [perpetually] just a few more years!

I take nothing on faith. I look at what humans actually do, what computers actually do, who is financially motivated to say what, and it's obvious to me where the rough boundaries are between science fact and fiction.

News Comments > Labor Day Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 4, 2017, 19:51 Tom

There are plenty of jobs not suited to automation. Automation need not result in people being out of work. Automation gives people the opportunity to work in less mindless, more rewarding fields. Those who reject this opportunity are responsible for the consequences of doing so.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 31, 2017, 03:15 Tom

As always, this is not a robot tax. But robot tax gets the clicks...  

News Comments > Overwatch Deathmatch Live
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 30, 2017, 01:25 Tom

I have to agree. I went into it thinking it was going to be pretty lame and overly simplistic but it was actually fun. Solid execution.  

News Comments > PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Tops Steam Player Count
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 28, 2017, 04:00 Tom

In my opinion, the success of PUBG can be traced to Counter-Strike. The two are similar in so many ways. But PUBG breaks out of the CS mold by upping the stakes. Everything about it is larger scale. Bigger map, more players, longer rounds, RNG, survival elements, vehicles, different team options, etc. The satisfaction of victory and bitterness of defeat are intensified.

If you're easily discouraged, this is not the game for you. And that's ok. There's room in the world for many, many kinds of games. Many more than we'll ever have the time to play.

News Comments > EA: Mass Effect: Andromeda a "Great Game" Series May Continue
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 24, 2017, 23:42 Tom

Rhett wrote on Aug 24, 2017, 23:22:
besides that it makes my CPU max out on the main menu for some reason.
Bad programming. That is always the reason for that.

News Comments > Quake Champions Early Access
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 23, 2017, 00:42 Tom

It's not pretty, but it seems to be a trend these days. It can make some sense if you think about it. It's another pay-to-beta-test scheme where a barrier is introduced to keep the userbase small at first, then once they work out the bugs and (hopefully) make the game fun enough they can do the true launch (F2P). Having multiple launches for the same game also helps get attention and sales and is a very common practice.  

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 22, 2017, 19:16 Tom

The name Shacknews may not be well known to old folks here because they changed the name a few times (for the worse). It was originally called sCary's Quakeholio. If you were around in the beginning you might remember that name.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 22, 2017, 19:08 Tom

Sweeney is such an attention whore.

App stores provide a service that actually does cost a lot of money to run. Don't think the 30% cut is worth it? Don't sell your product there. It's that simple. Nobody is forcing devs to use those stores, or target those platforms for that matter.

MS wants me to use their app store so they can get a cut of my sales. They can go to hell.

1523 Comments. 77 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo