Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1556 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 25, 2018, 14:34 Tom

You can use regular Firefox with uBlock Origin and uMatrix on Android too. More blocking, more control, and consistent experience with the same stuff on non-mobile.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PUBG Launches Sanhok Map and Event Pass
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 23, 2018, 12:48 Tom

They really nailed it with this new map. The pacing is just right. Intense battles with less waiting in the mid-game, yet it doesn't feel rushed like their previous botched attempt to speed things up. The environment kinda reminds me of BC2 Vietnam - less pretty, but bigger and more open.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 23, 2018, 12:42 Tom

Not sure what's worse, blowing $10K on an iWatch or that abomination of a web site. Well done, Mashable.  

News Comments > The Crew 2 Post-Release Free and Paid Content
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 6, 2018, 18:37 Tom

I think they're just trying to shove the term "season pass" as far down the toilet as possible...  

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Mobilization May 20, 2018, 13:46 Tom

According to the Firefox and Chrome add-on sites, about ~1.5M people are using uMatrix, NoScript, or similar add-ons which block this crap.  

News Comments > Star Control: Origins Trailer
4. Re: Morning Mobilization May 19, 2018, 13:27 Tom

I still don't trust Stardock to come anywhere near doing justice to SC2, but I have to admit this looked better than I was expecting.  

News Comments > Black Ops IIII Announced
19. Re: Morning Mobilization May 17, 2018, 18:30 Tom

IIII? Seriously?

We've reached a new low. I never even considered the possibility that someone could do something this stupid. Bravo BLOPSers.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
7. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 22, 2018, 02:12 Tom

He's a smart guy but like many smart guys he's super dumb when it comes to PR. The ping-based matchmaking is real and it works. The difference after they implemented that was dramatic. He should be calling it the most effective means of region locking and highlighting how well it works in practice compared to other methods like blocking IP ranges. Pings are limited by the speed of light and there's no circumventing that unless you invent FTL communications. (Maybe PU's hidden goal here is to bring about the next revolution in communications technology...)  

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
2. Re: Sunday Interviews Mar 19, 2018, 02:53 Tom

It's Stardock...  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 19, 2018, 01:39 Tom

dubfanatic wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 21:49:
At only $30 for an account (and less in China) they require money from key purchases and the vig from crate transactions for the cash flow to keep their servers running and their developers paid. If the player base dries up, this puts their cash flow in jeopardy. Go look at the graphs on Steamspy, the max daily CCUs are on a downtrend. They're still extremely high, so it's just a pinhole leak right now, but if they don't patch it up there's a danger it could grow into a serious breach. (And who the hell names their company "Bluehole" anyway? You're just asking for it at that point.)
Their servers are using AWS and/or Azure which means they're easily scalable according to demand, especially in the downward direction. And employee count can also be scaled according to cash flow. That is normal business.

I looked at the all-time CCU graphs on steamdb.info for PUBG and the next two most popular games on Steam (Dota 2 and CS). I don't see any sort of downward trend or other data that suggests PUBG is even remotely in trouble.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 18, 2018, 21:10 Tom

dubfanatic wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 20:38:
Could be. The daily max CCUs have been on a downtrend since January. More people are getting fed up with Bunghole's constant screw-ups, terrible PR and inability to control cheaters than are picking the game up now. They're going to have to turn it around fast before an experienced dev house drinks their milkshake.
Yeah, people are so fed up with PUBG that it's ... still the top selling game on Steam. And after a full year of that, so what if an experienced dev house gets their act together and presents credible competition? "Bunghole" has already made a fortune. GG!

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 16, 2018, 04:58 Tom

Intel started supplying the computer at some point but Hawking's distinctive voice was DECtalk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DECtalk

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 13, 2018, 04:47 Tom

jdreyer wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 21:28:
- The malware lays low until it communicates with a machine that's not on the network (thus, airgapped)
...which can only happen if the airgapped machine is already infected. These side-channel data exfiltration attacks are only useful if you have the ability to infect an airgapped machine but not the ability to communicate afterwards, which is going to be extremely rare in practice.

But hey, it sounds really cool, might as well get some clicks out of it.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Feb 28, 2018, 01:46 Tom

Other countries have people with mental problems too.

What is different about the US is the scale and nature of unchecked greed and corruption when it comes to guns and politics.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 14, 2018, 01:47 Tom

Why pick from user-hostile options when you can just go to another web site? Salon, you're hardly the only game in town.  

News Comments > Sea of Thieves System Requirements
18. Re: Sea of Thieves System Requirements Feb 13, 2018, 21:23 Tom

Naming their integrated graphics setting "Cursed" almost makes up for the Windows Store exclusive crap ... almost.  

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans
14. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 5, 2018, 03:01 Tom

Numinar wrote on Feb 5, 2018, 01:19:
It's a universe that does not give a fuck about you, because you are not only not the center of it, you are not even a relevant data point in it outside those you get into a brouhaha with (Which is nobody if you play solo or in a PVE private group). If you organise with some people you might be able to flip a system or mess with the economy locally or troll a cancer patient but in a games market where every game involves you being the motherfucking chosen one I think it's a brave, dedicated design decision that should be applauded.
That would all be well and good except that the universe is pure RNG procedural crap with no soul. Yeah, so Stellar Forge is all scientifically accurate, great. That would've made an excellent base for a game. But there's nothing INTERESTING going on out there. Nothing but grind and no reward for it except more grind. Frontier's pathetic attempts to add compelling gameplay to the game have failed every single time. But that'll happen when you have an abject failure of a game designer calling the shots and nobody with the sense to show him the door.

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 12, 2018, 05:50 Tom

NKD wrote on Jan 11, 2018, 20:50:
I wonder if Trump is just a long con designed to make literally any future Republican candidate look like a fucking genius in comparison. Kinda like a store raising prices just so they can have a big sale later and put the price back to where it was.
Look like?

News Comments > Overwatch Mercy and Junkrat Nerfs Inbound
14. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 6, 2018, 06:03 Tom

deqer wrote on Jan 5, 2018, 20:00:
I guess I'll come back in 3 years or so. By that time, Blizzard will have stopped changing the fucking game, and players will be experienced and understand that Overwatch is not Quake or Unreal Tournament; It's League of Legends.
Yeah I also decided to take a break until they can figure out what they want the game to be, if ever. Too many big changes. Of course, chances are I'll never go back to it, just like LoL. Well, I got plenty of hours out of both, but it could've been many more..

News Comments > PUBG Looks to Rebound from Rubber Banding
19. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 28, 2017, 19:42 Tom

Jagacademy wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 11:17:
Wait, what? They allowed Kill Cam in team games?! That is a dead obvious thing NOT to do, these developers are facepalm.
Nobody can see the kill cam until everyone in their group is dead.

1556 Comments. 78 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo