Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1436 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > NVIDIA on GFE Mandatory Logins
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 17, 2017, 21:17 Tom

Fortunately this software is completely optional. I don't install it anymore and I'm kinda glad they gave me more reasons not to.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Windows 10 Game Mode Plans
18. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 13, 2017, 22:25 Tom

Slick wrote on Jan 13, 2017, 21:43:
And for the record this is a GREAT feature. Not just for gamers, but for professionals.

With the hordes of people fleeing from Apple, they have to go somewhere. And as someone who's begrudgingly used a mac for live DJing performances for the past decade, I can tell you that if I could click one button and suspend all extraneous services that aren't critical, keep the DPC latency nice and low, and ensure the system is ultra-stable, I'd switch to spinning on Win 10 in a heartbeat. It would be a dream come true to be honest.
Why? Everything on the Mac "just works", right? And everyone knows all the cool people use Macs. What kind of uncool DJ would dare show up with something that doesn't have an Apple logo on it?

News Comments > Windows 10 Update Breaks Multi-Monitor Support
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 11, 2017, 21:24 Tom

One way to avoid issues like this is to stay at least one major release of the OS behind, letting others act as the guinea pigs. And I don't mean Windows 7 - you can actually accomplish this on Windows 10 now.

Instead of allowing the automatic upgrades from one major release to the next, get O&O ShutUp10 and check the option for deferring upgrades. You'll still be more or less forced to get security updates for the older release but it tends to be minor stuff and not the mess of breaking crap that happens on the latest OS release.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 10, 2017, 20:45 Tom

Yeah, cockpit sims in VR are soooooooo in need of going mobile!!!

Give me a break. There's a place for mobile and a place for non-mobile. Mobile didn't render desktop PCs obsolete and it won't render tethered VR obsolete either (even as the "tether" becomes short-range wireless).

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 10, 2017, 20:29 Tom

With Samsung providing the batteries, we can count on internal combustion to remain alive and well for some time.  

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda in March
18. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 5, 2017, 04:45 Tom

Jerykk wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 03:53:
I don't know if including a gay character really has that much of a detrimental impact on the overall story. People tend to overreact to even the most minor annoyances. For example, ME3 had a crappy ending but the ending constituted maybe 1% of a 40+ hour game. That didn't stop people from proclaiming that ME3 was complete garbage and that the entire series was ruined as a result.

Time spent landing a plane may only be 1% of the flight time but it's a rather important 1%.

The ME3 ending sucked. Did it make the whole game/series complete garbage? No. But it certainly had a big negative impact, and rightfully so. With each game in the series they kept leading people on, building things up, and then in the end it went nowhere. Players with hundreds of hours of playtime in the series were left with a very unsatisfying resolution to the story. And why? All the money spent on development, all the money they raked in from sales, and management didn't have the good sense to hire some decent writers.

The most frustrating thing about it is that it's hardly a problem specific to Mass Effect. It's the norm for games (and movies) to fail horribly when it comes to the writing.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 31, 2016, 23:40 Tom

Huh. Since when did the Washington Post have any credibility anyway?

All the "news" outlets are exceedingly poor, of course. Sadly lacking indeed.

News Comments > Into the Black
17. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 28, 2016, 02:02 Tom

Kxmode wrote on Dec 28, 2016, 01:38:
Sir Paul? I was thinking about the other Sirs: Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Anthony Hopkins, and Ian Holmes. Oh please, don't let them die. :(

Do you think they'll live forever? Only Jonathan Frakes can do that.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 21, 2016, 18:50 Tom

I held out on upgrading from a 5 year old MBP but when I saw they screwed up the keyboard I was like "see ya Apple, I'm out". I'll just keep using the old MBP. If I really need a new laptop it'll have to be a Microsoft or Dell (ugh ugh ugh) unless Apple gets their act together, but that seems unlikely. What are they smoking over there anyway?  

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 18, 2016, 19:07 Tom

I received something via post from Poland recently and it had a stamp with Geralt of Rivia on it. An actual postal stamp worth 6 zloty (about $1.42). How cool is that...  

News Comments > On Overwatch Mei Skins
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 16, 2016, 21:21 Tom

Pigeon wrote on Dec 16, 2016, 20:03:
I know it's the internet and people on the internet bitch about everything, but for it to warrant a response/apology from the game director.. I almost feel bad for Blizzard.
Don't worry, he's no doubt crying all the way to the bank.

News Comments > Shenmue III Preorders
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 15, 2016, 23:55 Tom

Life simulator? Kind of. It was in many ways like oldschool adventure games, but with 3D graphics and many of the characteristics that came to define the open-world category. That was really new in 1999.

Shenmue also had a very rare setting for a Western audience (1980s Japan), an excellent soundtrack, technically ambitious graphics and systems, and just all around strong execution and soul. Plus it was on the Dreamcast, which had a special allure of its own.

Shenmue III arrives in a VERY different historical context. The PC (and PS4). A world full of open-world games. The nostalgia-driven Kickstarter funding, coming after the epic failure of Inafune with Mighty No. 9. The developers being at very different points in their careers.

I'm not real optimistic about it being a great game, but it'd be nice to be pleasantly surprised.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 15, 2016, 22:32 Tom

Of course it's possible to write safe code. However, it occurs if and only if the necessary motivations are in place from top to bottom of the organization, which happens very rarely.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 11, 2016, 18:01 Tom

No, it's called clickbait.  

News Comments > SUPERHOT VR Released
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 6, 2016, 19:32 Tom

I bought both the Vive and the Rift CV1, after spending 2 years with the DK2, and the Rift gets most of the use. The Vive games are not that far beyond tech demos for the most part, IMO. There's a lot of stuff that's fun for a few hours (or even just minutes in some cases) but it has no lasting replay value. The Rift on the other hand is the superior HMD for cockpit sims (flying, racing, space, mech, etc) and that's the kind of stuff you can easily sink many hundreds of hours into while still having fun - if it's your thing, of course.

I'm still hoping to find that killer app that makes the Vive fun though. Onward wasn't it for me. Way too buggy and unpolished.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 5, 2016, 20:16 Tom

Not really. Programming principles like these are generally pretty timeless and broadly applicable. Of course, some are better than others, and execution is critical.  

News Comments > Titanfall 2 Free Trial This Week
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 29, 2016, 22:23 Tom

Does this one also feature 35GB of uncompressed audio?  

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 20, 2016, 20:00 Tom

It's ok, we have tips for Microsoft too.  

News Comments > SteamVR to Get Linux and Mac OS X Support
11. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 15, 2016, 19:35 Tom

VR is game-changing for cockpit sims, of which there are plenty, and plenty of people enjoying them. I'm so glad to not have to bother with the unnatural head/eye straining movements of TrackIR anymore. The increased FOV and depth perception help tremendously as well.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 11, 2016, 20:43 Tom

Seriously? Come on, you can do better than that.  

1436 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo