Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1488 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Blizzard Dropping XP and Vista Support
20. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 20, 2017, 21:09 Tom

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 20:37:
No. Nonono. That's like saying that when they patch a game, it's a whole NEW game. The recent free DLC for Titanfall 2 doesn't make it Titanfall 3. There may be major changes, but there's two important differences:
1: they don't require a complete reinstallation
2: they don't ask for money for the update

It's still windows 10. Each year they plan to roll out a "big" update. That's the plan.
You're believing what they want you to believe. The reality is that upgrading from one version of Windows 10 to another version of Windows 10 doesn't require a complete reinstallation in the same way that upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 doesn't require a complete reinstallation. In both cases you're performing an OS upgrade, not an update. What's the difference? In the case of an upgrade, the entire prior "Windows" directory is left behind and a new one is created. (Ever seen "Windows.old" sitting around after an upgrade?) And there's much more opportunity for stuff to break with an upgrade. You may not even be able to upgrade if you have certain Atom CPUs, for example.

The true difference between an update and an upgrade depends on behavior, not naming.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 20, 2017, 19:22 Tom

So does this mean you can get a BSOD on your thermostat now? Sign me up!  

News Comments > Blizzard Dropping XP and Vista Support
17. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 20, 2017, 19:08 Tom

GothicWizard wrote on Jul 20, 2017, 18:04:
There is not going to be another OS. Win10 is the base line. They will add, modify it but it's going to be win10. They are in essence taking the mac X approach from all the interviews I've read.
Whether they call it Windows 11, 12, 13, vs "Creators Update", "Fall Creators Update", "Redstone XXVII" makes little difference. Just naming. A new version is a new version.

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 19, 2017, 19:36 Tom

When you're the CEO and you say stupid !@#$ like that in your first meeting with the employees, that doesn't bode well.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 13, 2017, 22:28 Tom

Brian Fargo sounds surprisingly with it considering his age. Unlike some other folks around here.

VR haters gonna hate!

1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 7, 2017, 20:28 Tom

I hope SoundCloud can pull things together. They were great for years until they took things in a completely different and useless direction. NOW they realize they have to "focus on artists and creators"? It was obvious from the start - screw over the content creators, and you have NOTHING. Yet that's exactly what they set out to do.

It's the classic balance of addressing the business needs vs. the customer needs. You lean too far one way or the other and it's over.

News Comments > PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Extended
14. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 7, 2017, 20:19 Tom

EA works differently for different games. In the case of PUBG, they could easily flip the switch and call it released now, and it would be in a better state than MANY other games that have been considered released.

Worth $30? Hell yeah. At higher than $40 I'd probably wait for a sale to pick it up, but I could see plenty of people paying $50 or even $60.

The game has solid design and execution.

On the design side: excellent use of RNG, accommodates a variety of play styles, generates plenty of those "magical moments", extremely streamable, finite rounds with reasonable duration, simple and effective matchmaking/ranking, just the slightest bit of long-term persistence, etc etc.

On the execution side: multiplayer with 100 people on a 8x8km island that works, probably best use of UE4 I've seen yet in a shipping game, frequent updates with good explanations of changes, effective partnerships (Steam, Twitch, AWS, others?), aggressive stance against cheaters that could ruin the game, and what appears to be responsible growth and planning.

I resisted it for a while but a friend finally convinced me to jump on it. Now I can see why it's been topping the sales charts. Definitely deserves its place. This PU guy is going to be mega rich as long as he struck a reasonable deal with the Korean company producing the game.

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 5, 2017, 19:16 Tom

Yeah, CNN's article about this was stunning. A new low for them, to be sure. And that's saying a lot...  

News Comments > Independence Day Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 5, 2017, 00:07 Tom

I've been using Winamp on an almost daily basis for over 20 years now... rock solid and timeless. Can't say that about much other software.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 21, 2017, 19:18 Tom

AMD and Linux... sounds like a good match!  

News Comments > Elite Dangerous The Return Patch Plans
21. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 14, 2017, 22:05 Tom

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 19:57:
It had a good framework, but the game play was some what limited.
Thanks, I haven't laughed that hard in a while!

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 13, 2017, 20:32 Tom

Fion wrote on Jun 13, 2017, 13:44:
Remember when Apple attracted the most talented engineers in the industry to their doors and was always well ahead of the competition?

What the hell happened?
Same thing that happened last time Apple fell off a cliff.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 12, 2017, 19:54 Tom

Nice try, NVIDIA. Still not installing GFE.  

News Comments > DOOM VFR Announced
20. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 12, 2017, 19:51 Tom

First person movement in VR with keyboard and mouse works fine for many people, myself included. Lots of people played HL2 with the DK2 and that was on a sub-par devkit HMD with crap support for VR in HL2. Yeah, it was uncomfortable at first, but the human brain is able to adapt.

Of course, if you're convinced that you can't do something and you don't give it any serious effort, you're never going to be able to do it unless someone forces you to break through the barrier that you created for yourself. This applies to VR and anything else in life.

News Comments > Harsher Overwatch Leaver Penalties Planned
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 9, 2017, 22:47 Tom

If you try to leave before the win/loss screen shows up, it'll show a big warning making it 100% clear you're going to be penalized. You have to accept that in order to leave (via the game's UI anyway).  

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 8, 2017, 19:11 Tom

Amazon Cloud Drive doesn't appear to be working at the moment, despite Amazon's AWS health status page indicating everything's normal in the world. Coincidence? Geez.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 6, 2017, 20:05 Tom

Paywall = dead to me. Bye!  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 3, 2017, 05:10 Tom

Uh huh, have fun with your AMD CPUs...  

News Comments > Take-Two Acquires Kerbal Space Program; New 2K Prez
10. Re: Morning Mobilization May 31, 2017, 19:23 Tom

So long and thanks for all the explosions, KSP.  

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: Morning Mobilization May 30, 2017, 18:58 Tom

I didn't realize there were still oldschool forums on Steam. I've been using the discussions in Steam Community for years and they're not going anywhere, apparently.  

1488 Comments. 75 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo