Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Tom

Real Name Tom   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 21, 2000, 15:34
Total Comments 1566 (Pro)
User ID 4838

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 6, 2019, 21:39 Tom

Yeah, the Windows 10 calculator is GARBAGE. Open-sourcing it isn't going to fix that.

Fortunately it's pretty easy to use the Windows 7 calculator on Windows 10:
https://winaero.com/blog/get-calculator-from-windows-8-and-windows-7-in-windows-10/

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Funcom Inks DUNE Gaming Deal
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 26, 2019, 22:57 Tom

Sepharo wrote on Feb 26, 2019, 21:40:
Cutter wrote on Feb 26, 2019, 20:19:
Shai Hulud

For someone who has never seen Dune (1984) before... do you recommend a specific version? I hear there are a few different cuts out there.
Watch the original cinematic cut. Avoid anything that says it's an extended version.

The Blu-ray version is actually pretty nice quality. And the film has aged well IMO.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 16, 2019, 17:42 Tom

Unfortunately a fair number of sites are just plain broken on Firefox. I contacted support for a particular web app and they flat out told me "yeah sorry, we only support Chrome". It really is IE all over again.

And yeah, I completely disable all my add-ons before concluding a site is truly broken on Firefox.

News Comments > DiRT Rally 2.0 Getting Oculus Rift Support
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 9, 2019, 20:31 Tom

It's Codemasters. They're like the Stardock of racing.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 6, 2019, 17:51 Tom

Booking.com was so over the top with their pressure to book now, one would hope most people could see through that BS. Still nice to see someone trying to fix that mess.  

News Comments > Anthem Open Demo Live
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 1, 2019, 21:07 Tom

I haven't paid much attention to this game. Am I interpreting EA-speak correctly here?

VIP Demo = closed paid beta
Open Demo = open beta

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 6, 2019, 22:52 Tom

Not very impressive compared to what's been standard in Japan for a long time when it comes to tubs and toilets. For a much lower price.

Maybe someday the US can catch up, though.

News Comments > Saturday Patches
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 5, 2019, 15:50 Tom

It would be a lot easier to compare images in that slideshow if it didn't flash white every time you switch images.

Cool stuff though.

News Comments > Boxing Day Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 26, 2018, 13:26 Tom

"Turns out, it does not cost 30% to distribute games in 2018,"

all you need is another $150 million in funding!

News Comments > Limit Theory Cancelled
17. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 4, 2018, 12:56 Tom

A solo developer who can code systems but can't ship a game. Who woulda thought?

Still sad, though. He should've either teamed up with someone or pulled the plug years ago.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 25, 2018, 14:34 Tom

You can use regular Firefox with uBlock Origin and uMatrix on Android too. More blocking, more control, and consistent experience with the same stuff on non-mobile.  

News Comments > PUBG Launches Sanhok Map and Event Pass
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 23, 2018, 12:48 Tom

They really nailed it with this new map. The pacing is just right. Intense battles with less waiting in the mid-game, yet it doesn't feel rushed like their previous botched attempt to speed things up. The environment kinda reminds me of BC2 Vietnam - less pretty, but bigger and more open.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 23, 2018, 12:42 Tom

Not sure what's worse, blowing $10K on an iWatch or that abomination of a web site. Well done, Mashable.  

News Comments > The Crew 2 Post-Release Free and Paid Content
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 6, 2018, 18:37 Tom

I think they're just trying to shove the term "season pass" as far down the toilet as possible...  

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Mobilization May 20, 2018, 13:46 Tom

According to the Firefox and Chrome add-on sites, about ~1.5M people are using uMatrix, NoScript, or similar add-ons which block this crap.  

News Comments > Star Control: Origins Trailer
4. Re: Morning Mobilization May 19, 2018, 13:27 Tom

I still don't trust Stardock to come anywhere near doing justice to SC2, but I have to admit this looked better than I was expecting.  

News Comments > Black Ops IIII Announced
19. Re: Morning Mobilization May 17, 2018, 18:30 Tom

IIII? Seriously?

We've reached a new low. I never even considered the possibility that someone could do something this stupid. Bravo BLOPSers.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
7. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 22, 2018, 02:12 Tom

He's a smart guy but like many smart guys he's super dumb when it comes to PR. The ping-based matchmaking is real and it works. The difference after they implemented that was dramatic. He should be calling it the most effective means of region locking and highlighting how well it works in practice compared to other methods like blocking IP ranges. Pings are limited by the speed of light and there's no circumventing that unless you invent FTL communications. (Maybe PU's hidden goal here is to bring about the next revolution in communications technology...)  

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
2. Re: Sunday Interviews Mar 19, 2018, 02:53 Tom

It's Stardock...  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
15. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 19, 2018, 01:39 Tom

dubfanatic wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 21:49:
At only $30 for an account (and less in China) they require money from key purchases and the vig from crate transactions for the cash flow to keep their servers running and their developers paid. If the player base dries up, this puts their cash flow in jeopardy. Go look at the graphs on Steamspy, the max daily CCUs are on a downtrend. They're still extremely high, so it's just a pinhole leak right now, but if they don't patch it up there's a danger it could grow into a serious breach. (And who the hell names their company "Bluehole" anyway? You're just asking for it at that point.)
Their servers are using AWS and/or Azure which means they're easily scalable according to demand, especially in the downward direction. And employee count can also be scaled according to cash flow. That is normal business.

I looked at the all-time CCU graphs on steamdb.info for PUBG and the next two most popular games on Steam (Dota 2 and CS). I don't see any sort of downward trend or other data that suggests PUBG is even remotely in trouble.

1566 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo