Total Posts
472 (Amateur)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

472 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 19.
Newer [  1    9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ] Older

Re: 616 games installed
Dec 16, 2009, 14:39
Re: 616 games installed Dec 16, 2009, 14:39
Dec 16, 2009, 14:39

Congratulations! I skimmed over that list and due to the presence of AVP, Sof 1 & 2, and the Bloodrayne series, I hereby declare you worthy!

Edit: The exclusion of SOF:Payback amongst such an exhaustive list clearly indicates that you have taste.

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2009, 14:43.

Re: RAGE
Dec 11, 2009, 23:56
Re: RAGE Dec 11, 2009, 23:56
Dec 11, 2009, 23:56

Shit come to think of it, there may be a real chance of something like this happening.

After all, this *IS* a game heavily involving cars and is being made by iD with PC bloodlust in mind, right?

I hope there's an aspiring team of racing simulator Quake fans out there just itching to implement some proper physics.

That just reminded me: maybe Carmack can finally put that "Quake 2" airstrip drag racing data to use!

Re: First post!
Dec 11, 2009, 23:50
Re: First post! Dec 11, 2009, 23:50
Dec 11, 2009, 23:50

Nice! I've already claimed FP on the PC gaming forum!

OMG!
Dec 11, 2009, 23:48
OMG! Dec 11, 2009, 23:48
Dec 11, 2009, 23:48

LOL FIRST POST!

Re: Serious Sam HD Deathmatch Coming
Dec 11, 2009, 13:18
Re: Serious Sam HD Deathmatch Coming Dec 11, 2009, 13:18
Dec 11, 2009, 13:18

Oops! lol, I saw some early screenshots and it looked like a tweaked version of the first engine.

Recently though I noticed a shot of some monster that looked like Goro (with very nice texturing) and a waterfall that really reminds me of a little quality detail streak I started noticing from Serious Engine 2.

I hope they're in a position to license out their tech because I think they're capable.

Re: BC 2 Beta Plans
Dec 11, 2009, 12:15
Re: BC 2 Beta Plans Dec 11, 2009, 12:15
Dec 11, 2009, 12:15

When I heard "open beta" I thought to myself that this would be one of those "open betas" where Fileplanet gets to decide just how open it will be.

Not to worry though! It's just one of those open betas where you have to buy the game first!

Re: ME2 BioWare's Best?
Dec 11, 2009, 12:00
Re: ME2 BioWare's Best? Dec 11, 2009, 12:00
Dec 11, 2009, 12:00

"Why would IW remove dedicated servers, modding, lean, console commands and pretty much everything that PC gamers liked about the previous CoD games? Many of these things are actually in the game's code, IW just disabled them.

I'm not really sure what the logic behind these choices were."

I believe the logic is that to provide such a level of professionalism would be simply unprofessional.

I'm serious. Apparently it just isn't professional to allow a PC version to have "developer features" when the console version is supposed to be what your professionalism looks like.

Check out my intentionally angry post about a related topic: http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=105087&boardid=1&id=560501&view=flatnew&start=0

Also, isn't IW supposed to be the more technical of the dev teams? And why the HELL did they copy World at War's gore yet fail to actually live up to it or even maybe improve on the formula a little?

Though miracles in development magic DO happen. Such as how Valve was able to actually make me, as a rather harsh critic of video game violence, absolutely love L4D2 (it's so much like SOF2 that it will blow your mind in multiple locations) and make it one of my favorite bloody video games of all time when Raven itself is probably incapable of producing a SOF game (guy that's likely responsible for shooting off pieces of someone's face that did the Wolfenstein parallax texture over the face, I am aware of your continued existence).

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2009, 12:05.

Dec 11, 2009, 11:43
Re: RAGE Dec 11, 2009, 11:43
Dec 11, 2009, 11:43

lol

Dec 11, 2009, 11:36
Re: RAGE Dec 11, 2009, 11:36
Dec 11, 2009, 11:36

I think there's a chance that Rage *WILL* be a god-damned console game.

Why? Because the physics will be all fucked up with the cars for stupid console noobs that can't fucking HANDLE the fact that their shitty driving will cause them to spin out or roll over.

Prove me wrong and show me some god-damned simulation physics (that actually compete with other games rather than dick around) as at least an OPTION so that I can ENJOY DRIVING THE FUCKING CAR.

Rather than WASTE MY FUCKING TIME LIKE WITH SOME PIECE OF SHIT RANDOM CONSOLE "RACING GAME" WHERE THE PHYSICS ARE SO USELESS THAT YOU JUST HOLD DOWN THE GAS PEDAL AND THE POWERSLIDES FAIL TO GIVE YOU ANY PLYMETRIC BOOSTS/APPROPRIATE NEGATIVE EFFECTS (THAT'S RIGHT; THE POWERSLIDES IN THESE GAMES USUALLY DON'T HAVE THE FUNCTIONALITY OF A SIMULATION'S AND TEND TO SLOW YOU DOWN MORE THAN ANYTHING).

*HOWEVER!* It *WILL* feel like a PC game! I can't remember what game I was playing, but some console game was ported over to PC and the developers ACTUALLY CONVERTED ENOUGH SHIT (and had the apparent technical competence to include not only a fully functional but a fully PROFESSIONAL options menu) to make it look like it was a PC GAME!

That's right! It's apparently REALLY EASY! (Though you wouldn't want to detract from the people that pulled things off well. I was very impressed that they were able to take watered down noobishness and give us the flexibility and professionalism we need.)

I will hold my breath, however optimistically, that iD will be able to continue to innovate in the area of violence effects. Doom3 actually implemented SOF2's unique realtime blood-layer effect in addition to the locational decals.

Let's see if it's fun to shoot people in their game.

You all should play Ninja Gaiden (part 1 at least) on the Xbox! That game had REAL fucking complexity to the gameplay mechanics and allowed a skilled player to flex his gaming muscles and be fluid and truly ONE WITH THE GOD DAMNED GAME!!!!!!!

I loved that game! I can't get over it. The combat system was so advanced (you gotta read about the technical details)!!!!!

I LOVE IT!!!

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2009, 11:43.

Re: America's Army=$32M
Dec 11, 2009, 11:02
Re: America's Army=$32M Dec 11, 2009, 11:02
Dec 11, 2009, 11:02

Basically the US may well be a big bully that wants to play the game like Bill Gates (who ironically happens to be a Democrat).

I think the point here is that we tend to get involved in wars that we have absolutely no business in.

Take Vietnam for example. What the fuck do we care if Communism takes over some random island?

Were we even remotely correct that if we allowed Vietnam to become Communist the rest of the world would follow suit?

Do we really have a reason to be in Afghanistan or not?

Also keep in mind that historically world powers have leaned towards raping Africa and the Middle East. So there's a lot of hatred against us over there.

People seem to think that it's OK to just head on over to, say, China and completely fuck over the people with opium and whatever the hell else was going on.

Or to head on into Africa and start invading countries and taking slaves (I hear that black people just ADORE South Africa).

Or perhaps exploiting the oil reserves in the Middle East and initially giving them a pittance for what we were getting (allegedly). Or perhaps directly implanting spies and whatnot into a country to encourage regime change that's conducive to our international economic policies.

Though don't go thinking that I'd rather live in Baghdad or someplace.

Also, the developers/military officials overseeing the demilitarization of America's Army are fucking stupid because they COMPLETELY REMOVED RECOIL ENTIRELY.

OK: fine. So we don't want our military "simulation" to be available to civilians. But when your supposed to be "competitive" in the gaming industry, you kind of have to leave recoil in.

Or else you end up with a so-called "first person shooter" where you point your magic wand at whatever you want and hold down a button.

But don't worry; they still left in the fact that you can die from 1 or 2 center body mass shots.

I don't think we need additional financial details to infer that America's Army is fucking ridiculous.

Hopefully part 2 implements a conventional 3-d engine along with the realization that they will have to simply tweak their pre-existing simulation in order to fit in with the rest of the pack.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2009, 11:10.

Re: Serious Sam HD Deathmatch Coming
Dec 8, 2009, 13:01
Re: Serious Sam HD Deathmatch Coming Dec 8, 2009, 13:01
Dec 8, 2009, 13:01

Good for them. I was afraid they were going to go under.

I think I'll buy a copy when it comes out.

I just hope they can maybe innovate on the gore a bit; it was ok back then, but I think it would bore me today.

Especially without a more modern engine like part 2's.

Re: Syndicate Retrospective
Dec 4, 2009, 12:25
Re: Syndicate Retrospective Dec 4, 2009, 12:25
Dec 4, 2009, 12:25

I really hope that they will be able to capture the Syndicate experience.

I also want to mention that where that experience was going at Bullfrog was somewhere like Bladerunner with Syndicate Wars.

Dark, gritty, and cyberpunk.

“Looking at the game today, what you see on screen has very little to do with what was in my head,” continues McLaughlin. “Chris Hill and I had visions of dystopian futuristic cityscapes like in Blade Runner, with lots of trash, hover cars and atmosphere. Of course, very little of this came across in the end, and I’m now convinced that future civilizations won’t be tile and sprite-based.”

Also hopefully they'll be able to come to a satisfactory conclusion with the whole 9/11 / being able to blow up (and downward) large buildings/method of robbing the bank.

It would suck if you couldn't blow up buildings, but then again I'm not sure if you can put something quite on par with a successful version of Timothy McVeigh (ie: plant bomb, run away, boom!) into a video game after 9/11 anymore.

Keep in mind that in Syndicate Wars, every square inch of the map allowed for some kind of destructibility; even the GROUND.

There's an empty Syndicate Wars box sitting next to me. I can still remember the sound of the music and the dark streets with Bladerunner type ads running.

Not to mention the AWESOME Crusader-like weapon diversity and death animations!

WTF happened to microwave cannons, shrinking rayguns, unique death animations for shotgun/pistol/energy weapon (time for innovation! try a wet version <<see game with a wetter as in bloody like charred corpse>>of a puss oozing, flesh boiling up and out with said puss and blood like an abscess being drained or something as the flesh rises up. SEE EFFECTS OF NUCLEAR EXPLOSION RE: BOILING FLESH FROM ENERGY WEAPONS RATHER THAN STUPID JACK SHIT HAPPENING) /rocket launcher (let's try gibs WITH body parts, some still intact such as section of torso with mangled arm attached/SOMETHING that inspires that HORROR movie sensation LOVE that game Left For Dead 2 with its continually rewarding gameplay for shooting zombies and its SOF2-quality gore effects, along with blood chunks and blood mist)WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION.

I just wanna point out again that I miss the days of unique death animations. Shotguns should simply do more than pistols and energy weapons ought to cause something really nasty rather than something really boring.

You guys should see what happens when a nuke actually strikes. Hint: you may be "blown away" by how different things are in reality.

I'll save you some time and just tell you: in a nuke, the first thing that happens to a building is the paint whisps up and away in vaporization from intense heat.

Then things start to catch on fire/melt/inflammible objects like metal all of a sudden are actually on fire (it's easy to imagine).

<<Keep in mind this all IS from US video footage taken a bit away probably from ground zero but this stuff is DEFINITELY NOT WHAT HAPPENS at the 4-5 kilometer radius of a 5 kilometer Hiroshima explosion! Head for the bathroom nuke and anti-propaganda fans cause at the 4-5 kilometer point you WOULD save your own life by avoiding the windows blowing in!!!!!!!!! Hilarious but true! *high five*>>

Then a wind blows through and seems to "blow up" everything without explosion concussive force!

WTF INDEED!

Although a good point of reference for what to do with energy weapon effect animations (see boiled-face corpse picture, also a good point of reference for the necessity of making a wetter version for charred/boiled corpses in games), it's kind of disappointing that a nuclear explosion fails to blow people apart despite its tornado-ish winds and extreme temperatures.

I just don't know what to think of nukes anymore. I thought that a bomb that can level an entire city would at least be able to BLOW SHIT UP PER SE.

Someone explain to me how much of the nuke is actual concussive force and how much is this stupid heatwave followed up by less than tornado-level winds (that successfully tear apart wooden stuctures).

Also for all you military authenticity enthusiasts I just want to say that I think that if a nuke were to strike LA, a 9/11 like event would then transpire with the support structures in said buildings (rather than the hollowed standing tower thing).

Cheers!

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 2009, 13:37.

Re: On AvP Multiplayer
Dec 2, 2009, 08:13
Re: On AvP Multiplayer Dec 2, 2009, 08:13
Dec 2, 2009, 08:13

It could be fun though. Rebellion made AvP for Jaguar and part one on PC so let's see if they can mix it up a bit.

Re: Steam Top 10
Nov 30, 2009, 01:49
Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 30, 2009, 01:49
Nov 30, 2009, 01:49

That sounds tedious.

You guys should check out Left 4 Dead 2's expert mode. It's extremely challenging and takes serious skill and practice, but is possible.

It also gives you the impression that it isn't cheating as much as older type games, despite the random surprise zombie encounter from above.

That type of thing isn't present in any of the other difficulty levels though.

It actually forces you to play at the level of a clan (FF is unacceptable unlike the other difficulty levels and absolute teamwork is critical) in order to have **ANY** chance of survival.

It's AWESOME.

Re: Jeff Strain's Console Zombie MMOG
Nov 25, 2009, 12:03
Re: Jeff Strain's Console Zombie MMOG Nov 25, 2009, 12:03
Nov 25, 2009, 12:03

I think it's a good idea. While I'm not a fan of F2P games (other than Crossfire) I think he's made the right choice on taking a chance with a zombie-themed MMO for consoles.

I think that if it's fun they could do very well. They should be able to get more people to try their game on consoles what with the tangibility of a new game available for Xbox 360 vs. a new game has been released for the PC.

I just hope they're able to produce a gameplay experience that's continually rewarding like shooting apart zombies in L4D2.

Did I mention that Valve has re-created SOF2-quality gore effects yet? (lol)

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2009, 12:06.

Re: Diablo 3 Skill Trees Cut?
Nov 24, 2009, 19:31
Re: Diablo 3 Skill Trees Cut? Nov 24, 2009, 19:31
Nov 24, 2009, 19:31

Well said.

Change is needed but we'll just have to see what happens. I think that with things the way they are in the industry these days the entire project should be held in question until release.

Let's all just keep our fingers crossed.

And also buy L4D2 so that Valve can get the sales figures and recognition they deserve for making that game's gore so damned similar to a game that based its over-the-top gore on military authenticity (and yes, blowing someone's head off with a shotgun in L4D2 is a more satisfying experience than in SOF2. SOF2 is a game where you can compare the violence to real-world events and movies like Saving Private Ryan.).

People think over-the-top gore necessitates something from a Japanese samurai movie where blood will spray to the ceiling from a sword injury.

The reality is that real-world based gore is less intense but more shocking.

Arcade effects need to be added to compensate for certain things though.

For example, in SOF2 there was entry/exit wounds, arterial spray, decals, exit wound bleeding effects, and blood clouds. But it wasn't yet complete enough of an experience so they added "arcade-style" (arcade style as in this-would-never-happen-IRL hollywood phenomena) TINY LITTLE gib chunks that flew out of the entry wound for effect.

Otherwise it would have been like something was missing despite the facts.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2009, 19:36.

Re: Diablo III Skill Trees Cut Down?
Nov 24, 2009, 18:48
Re: Diablo III Skill Trees Cut Down? Nov 24, 2009, 18:48
Nov 24, 2009, 18:48

Hey, change for the better sounds good to me. I just don't want some simplifed version of what was once something interesting.

I think if they can do something new and rewarding that doesn't sacrifice anything is a good idea. I'm all for a skill system that keeps me playing and maybe tries something new from the grinding system.

I also think community feedback is a good thing but I worry that they might run with some bad advice. I haven't looked at the Twitter posts/responses, but I get the idea that they may be desperate to ensure D3 is as fun as a Diablo game should be.

They don't want to end up as another 3d-Realms; where you are a triple A developer expected to produce a triple A game and just can't seem to make ends meet.

" Even more so given the people behind Torchlight also created Diablo 1 and 2. If the team working on Diablo 3 did use Torchlight for inspiration then the original team is working on Diablo 3 via proxy

It comes full circle!"

True. Also sounds like a potential rift in the QA time-space continuum.

So much for garbage in, garbage out.

On the bright side I haven't actually played Torchlight and I'll bet that it's a good, fun little game.

I am sure however that the shitty talent from Blizzard did in fact leave to pursure Hellgate: London.

You know, the game made by Diablo developers where it's boring to kill shit?

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2009, 18:57.

Nov 24, 2009, 14:30
Re: Diablo III Skill Trees Cut Down? Nov 24, 2009, 14:30
Nov 24, 2009, 14:30

Well, I began to rant about how good the gore is in L4D2 and how you can partially blow off someone's head in SOF2 with a shotgun.

Rather than apply paintball stains across the abdomen (where the intestines would be spilling out) like in that 3'd party Activision Budget title SOF3: Payback.

D3's gore is looking pretty bland. I didn't even see any blood pools or pre-designed damage to dead creatures' textures.

Smacking something and flashing red on the screen is shitty attention to detail.

Doom3's decals were so-so but their blood sheen effect was exactly what was in SOF2.

Combined it was a very satisfying experience when you'd shoot something. I remember how in the beta I was glad they were finally using per-pixel decals but that they were a little low-res and that it definitely needed something more.

They accomplished this very well.

Much like L4D2's dismemberment effects.

Nov 24, 2009, 14:18
Re: Diablo III Skill Trees Cut Down? Nov 24, 2009, 14:18
Nov 24, 2009, 14:18

Blizzard sounds like they are desperate, blind, and lost.

They better not water down their game so that all the noobs out there can handle it.

THIS IS THE GOD DAMNED PC JESUS CHRIST. WE DON'T HAVE TIME FOR STUPID CONSOLE BULLSHIT.

Hopefully they realize that their gore effects are boring and cheap and can fix it like Valve was able to actually replicate Soldier of Fortune 2's dismemberment and general gore (!).

Really. I'm a harsh critic of these effects and L4D2 is a very fun game to play.

They even one-upped Raven for shotgun heat shots. The chunks similar to Jax's head smash fatality from MK2 really add replay value to shooting zombies.

Not to mention that little piece of the head that's sometimes there even though you've blown off the rest.

You SOF fans know what I'm talking about.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2009, 14:25.

Re: Jeff Strain's Console Zombie MMOG
Nov 23, 2009, 15:28
Re: Jeff Strain's Console Zombie MMOG Nov 23, 2009, 15:28
Nov 23, 2009, 15:28

"Every MMO developer out there is dipping their toes in that water and finding it to be very, very chilly water, because console gamers have a very different set of expectations for how a game plays and how they interact with a game."

I like how he says that. I no longer feel that "noob!" twitch.
472 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 19.
Newer [  1    9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ] Older