Total Posts
472 (Amateur)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

472 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 18.
Newer [  1    9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ] Older

Re: The Saboteur Final Patch Planned
Jan 15, 2010, 13:26
Re: The Saboteur Final Patch Planned Jan 15, 2010, 13:26
Jan 15, 2010, 13:26

Everyone, rest assured. I just booted up a hand-me-down copy of Mercs 2 that I got from my good old friend The Internet, and have found that Nvidia cards should work perfectly with The Saboteur.

I was having the same problem with an ATI card I was running, so I assume these games run on the same engine.

Mercs 2 is a shitty game made for kids with sub-par graphics and ridiculous regression in general qualitative development (such as forced auto aim for 4 seconds when crouching, which is required to hit anything, and good luck shooting the guy behind the MG turret in the jeep when your auto-aim is gunning for the armored parts).

Why the HELL would you have a normal firing mode WITHOUT auto-aim, with a reticule, only to FORCE the player to use auto-aim when crouching without an option to disable it?!!!!!

And to FAIL TO QA THE GAME to the point where SOMEBODY TESTING IT at SOME POINT noticed that the auto-aim is incapable of functioning properly in the first 30 minutes of gameplay?!!!!

You are definitely in trouble when the auto-aim based GTA series hurriedly implements a crosshair reticule into GTA: San Andreas because even they realize that auto-aim is FUCKING BORING AS HELL (LOOK AT ME!!! I'M PUSHING DOWN MY MOUSE BUTTON AND DOING NOTHING ELSE AND AM VERY GOOD AT VIDEO GAMES!!!!! SOMETIMES!!!! WEEEEEEE!!!!)

The cars seem to have better physics, yet the developers apparently decided that realistic turning response just isn't "realistic" enough.

I expect, however, that The Saboteur is better and more like the original Mercenaries.

Update: Mercs 2 is gone.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2010, 14:52.

Re: Original Aliens vs. Predator to Return
Jan 15, 2010, 13:20
Re: Original Aliens vs. Predator to Return Jan 15, 2010, 13:20
Jan 15, 2010, 13:20

Absolutely right!

Though it's always fun (especially circa back then) to lodge someone's head or leg into a wall with the Predator speargun.

Or to rip a human in half with a charged wristblade swipe!

Re: Original Aliens vs. Predator to Return
Jan 15, 2010, 13:16
Re: Original Aliens vs. Predator to Return Jan 15, 2010, 13:16
Jan 15, 2010, 13:16

" *Dusts off his Atari Jaguar*

Wait, what...?"

Lol, true that was their actual original version.

I recommend considering it; while it IS very dated, it's still really fun and atmospheric.

Not to mention very gory and satisfying (you might want to enable the supergore level 1 cheat, however!!!!!! That one is better than standard, and supergore 2 and 3 are ridiculous <though fun>.).

That video I posted a link to of the aliens getting ripped apart by the Predator is actually with supergore 1 or 2 enabled.

The default gore is fine but it looks better with SG1.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2010, 13:17.

Re: The Saboteur Final Patch Planned
Jan 15, 2010, 11:52
Re: The Saboteur Final Patch Planned Jan 15, 2010, 11:52
Jan 15, 2010, 11:52

I feel sorry for them. I think they went the way of 3-D Realms and just completely lost grip on their development process.

Perhaps the people who were actually responsible for the original Mercenaries being so great left awhile ago.

I remember watching a video of DNF and thinking that it looks like a POS as far as the fun of shooting stuff.

Meanwhile the Quake 2 DNF was sporting some NICE looking detail and decals (I jumped when I saw the decals from the tentacles shooting through that guy) and actually made iD's POS gibs look fun (akin to SiN actually making the otherwise boring Quake-type particle blood interesting).

I just wanna say that my problem with iD's gibs is that they were less body parts and more small meatballs (particularly in Quake 2) coupled with a very disappointing blood effect.

I hated going from death animations that involved things like the Imp's death (gut and face blown through and spraying out blood through the entry wounds and then falls to the floor in a POOL of blood) in Doom to the nothingness of a guy simply falling down (with "flash of red") without ANY custom artwork AT ALL.

Of course, Quake 2 implemented "painskins" and that was a step forward in the technology of such things, as it became real-time.

Also, iD is not incompetant; they are within my tiny circle of developers that are capable of applying quality gore effects (see Doom3's blood layer effect that's the same thing that's in Soldier of Fortune 2).

If you shoot someone in Doom3, you will notice that the decal is a recreation of what happens when someone is stoned to death. If you shoot someone in the head, a layer of blood will then be applied in addition to the decal that looks similar to a stoning, minus the cloth-like sheets of blood that pour from forehead injuries (perhaps in other places as well).

That cloth-like dripping effect, specifically, is in Soldier of Fortune 2 as well (anyone familiar with the game knows exactly what I'm talking about).

Anyway, I find it very sad that a once-talented company can lose control over its ability to produce quality content. Especially when such quality content was supposed to be a staple of its work.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2010, 12:51.

Re: Another Duke Nukem Forever Curveball
Jan 14, 2010, 12:41
Re: Another Duke Nukem Forever Curveball Jan 14, 2010, 12:41
Jan 14, 2010, 12:41

ROFL!!!!

Re: AvP Demo Planned
Jan 11, 2010, 16:09
Re: AvP Demo Planned Jan 11, 2010, 16:09
Jan 11, 2010, 16:09

Well, I must encourage you all to see if there is a BLOOD-CONTAINING VERSION of the Predator demo for Rebellion's PC AVP1.

"This demo features the Invasion level from the full game. Note that since this was the first demo released, the Predator's abilities aren't exactly like that in the full game."

OK I can't really remember what that's all about, but the demo is only 22 MB!

I still remember how AWESOME it was when I first started playing it back when I was 16 or so. Ripping people in half with a charged wristblade swipe never gets old.

Remember though: this game came out BEFORE the standardization of Thresh's WASD movement format. You're going to have to manually bind your keys to WASD through the options menu (takes a few seconds, don't forget about the secondary key binding on the right).

Make sure to take note of the zoom, cloak, and vision mode keys. You may want to change them.

http://www.filefront.com/528/Predator-Demo/

This game was set to be released in 1999 and doesn't have any built-in framerate limiter (that works automatically, at least).

So if your like me and with a Core 2 processor or something, it won't work (doh).

Here's a link showing some of the more colorful dismemberment to be had when being a Predator and charge swiping an alien: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01ufhcKqdS8&feature=PlayList&p=5B0D9665742730F7&index=25

The blood should be pooling up where it lands, but doesn't seem to in this video.

Here's a link to the original intro FMV that was rejected by Fox for being too violent (and yes, the animation and gore DOES NOT LOOK LIKE THIS in realtime.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxHW9wlbUtc

Also, check this out:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGp0JFPPva8

Apparently the engine had "deformable explosions".

Jan 11, 2010, 09:13
Re: AvP Demo Planned Jan 11, 2010, 09:13
Jan 11, 2010, 09:13

I'm kind of worried about the 2-d blood animation I've been seeing.

The original had Mortal Kombat-esque blood "chunks". That kind of thing has fallen out of favor, but exclusive use of 2-d effects is inadequate.

I do like how it looks, however. Used properly, it works fine.

Hopefully they'll have some nice decals and an extra effect (like the mini-gib chunks that would fly out of exit wounds in SOF2, in addition to the decals (exit wound as well), long arterial spray, spray wind-down (as seen in L4D2 and GTA4), blood mist, exit wound pouring out from higher caliber weapons, stoning-esque facial bleeding ("sheets" of blood), pink-type facial blood, disembowelment, brain matter, intestinal matter, actual 3-d model of brain that can be shot into and apart, shooting apart people's faces, unique knife-wound decals, and general multi-location dismemberment.)

Rebellion was right on track with Raven on the dismemberment; you could sever someone's arm at 3 points, and could lodge someone's head/arms/legs/hands/entire body (through shooting at the chest into a wall with the Predator's speargun (and blood would continue to drip down, leaving a decal that would permanently remain).

I do not expect them to live up to their previous standards of significant blood pools, but I am going to have to expect them to provide something more than a flash of red on the screen every time someone gets shot.

Those aliens need to be juicy and gunshot wounds better be messy and with decals, or they have completely lost touch with making their shooting games fun (at least by their own standards).

Jan 11, 2010, 05:43
Re: AvP Demo Planned Jan 11, 2010, 05:43
Jan 11, 2010, 05:43

"Martin Kennedy – I don't think so. I mean Jason put it out there in a press release about it saying we weren't going to water the game down. Ultimately he's dead right. It's just red-tape standing in the way. There's no logical reason why Australia couldn't have an 18 rating. People who want the game will get imported, it's not going to hurt us. If anything it's been a bit of decent publicity."

"The one thing that the German board hate is the suggestion of torture and that counts as anyone screaming if they're on fire. Interacting with corpses so everything's gotta be static. You can't go into ragdoll, you can't take their arms off, you can't headbite them. It's our decision and Sega said it's fine."

Did you read that last bit about Sega allowing them to have the elbow room they need managerially and developmentally?

Wow! Hooray for Sega doing the right thing ethically AND financially!

For those who aren't familiar with the PC AVP1, these guys are known for particularly gory violence.

Expect massive dismemberment and blood collection (and yes, the first one involved blood hitting the floor and leaving a decal EVERYWHERE that would tend to stick around for awhile).

Also, ripping people in half with the Predator's wristblade was always fun.

So is running around as an alien like Spiderman on crack.

I think it'll be good to see a good game with Sega's name on it (even if the typical publisher thing distracts the average person from the actual developers).

If only they could see what they are lacking in making games fun. The Club seemed like the artists were really into it, but that the engine technology and fun factor of shooting people in general just wasn't up to par.

The real problem wasn't the poor engine tech coming out of Japan, however.

They should look to Left For Dead 2 for examples of how to make a game involving shooting fun.

There's much more to it than the lack of impact sound effects and whatnot.

And yes, gore isn't necessary for a shooting game to be fun to me. However, SOME effect is necessary (Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and Battlefield 2, for example).

I remember being extremely satisfied with the MP4 on MOH:AA, despite the lack of gore.

I just wanna add that while I haven't played any other games they've made, AVP is their core franchise and they have been nothing but successful at it since they began with their first one on Jaguar, and their second on PC (AVP 2, however, sucks ass and was made by Monolith).

This comment was edited on Jan 11, 2010, 05:54.

Re: Super Ray TMed
Jan 9, 2010, 14:33
Re: Super Ray TMed Jan 9, 2010, 14:33
Jan 9, 2010, 14:33

Lol, that name reminds me of an ad for a Rayman game from the 90's in EGM.

It was one of the first "viral" marketing attempts.

You HAVE to see this (it's hilarious)!

[url=]http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/4848/raymanad.jpg[/url]

Don't forget to check out the box.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2010, 14:34.

Re: Another Duke Nukem Forever Curveball
Jan 7, 2010, 02:04
Re: Another Duke Nukem Forever Curveball Jan 7, 2010, 02:04
Jan 7, 2010, 02:04

It's very important that they make it very fun to kill aliens. We need Soldier of Fortune 2/ Left For Dead 2 level blood and gore with detailed, extensive features.

Remember that choking alien from Duke Nukem 3-D?

Re: Metaverse
Jan 2, 2010, 16:57
Re: Metaverse Jan 2, 2010, 16:57
Jan 2, 2010, 16:57

Basically, there is something fishy going on. It's true that our population density discourages fiber deployment, but that just isn't the problem of the moment.

The problem is that we are being screwed on having decent Internet connection standards while they milk us for every cent they can get out of our pre-existing hardware.

And I've been to the country as well; over there (UNLIKE HERE IN SUNNY CALIFORNIA) you can get FREE 2-3 MEGABIT WIRELESS INTERNET from RANDOM MOTELS OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE IN NEBRASKA!!!

Sorry to be so abrasive, it's just that it blows my mind that the middle of nowhere has such better standards than around here (and the people there are really NICE unlike the "sterotypical Americans" that are #2 international assholes in the world over here), where Silicon Valley exists an hour away.

Also, we already do have fiber rolled out to almost every inch and the cost is RIDICULOUS.

Verizon wants $50 a month for a 5 megabit line after discount period! WTF kind of bullshit is THAT?

Time Warner Cable, on the other hand, offers a 10 megabit fiber/wire hybrid for $43 after initial discount.

Only you don't want to go with TWC because they are trying to roll out metered bandwidth and, depending on your download interests, have an interest in the movie/music industry.

And no, they aren't actually scaling it to affect the 5% of users that they and their data claim are the ones ACTUALLY using up all the bandwidth.

One of the figures allegedly called for a premium to be charged for accounts exceeding 5 GB in monthly bandwidth usage.

Say goodbye to streaming HD video if Time Warner Cable gets its way (hey do they have a vested interest in TV broadcasting?).

This comment was edited on Jan 3, 2010, 01:57.

Re: Out of the Blue
Dec 26, 2009, 04:20
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2009, 04:20
Dec 26, 2009, 04:20

I find it unfortunate that the Vatican has approved the Simpsons.

Not that I'm a member of any religion, or dislike the Simpsons.

It's just that while it's true that God exists in the Simpsons, I believe that the content shouldn't be condoned according to my perception of Christian morals.

I'm not saying it's a sin to watch the Simpsons: I'm just saying that I feel the content is often defamatory and too over-the-top for *religious* condolence.

Merry Christmas!

This comment was edited on Dec 26, 2009, 04:28.

Re: Christmas Consolidation
Dec 26, 2009, 04:10
Re: Christmas Consolidation Dec 26, 2009, 04:10
Dec 26, 2009, 04:10

I don't mean to be rude to any Japanese people, but Square is finally putting out some graphics that live up to the standards set by Unreal Engine 3.

The detail in some of the player models is actually that of the preliminary screenshots put out by Epic.

Such quality has NOT been seen yet.

I doubt that such details are available during non-cinematic sequences, but it is worth noting (and enjoying) that this isn't CGI; it's in-engine rendering and it's beautiful.

Don't blame anyone but Epic though: such detail just isn't realistic for full real-time rendering (with all code running such as AI, movement, camera, and ALL things) at this point in time.

Want to see what I was complaining about? Take a look at Fist of the North Star.

I just wanna say, however, that there is a problem still with what I can only imagine to be an expectation of the Playstation 2's graphics being proper looking.

Ground textures and flora are extremely low-res, blurry, and (with the general flora) EXTREMELY aliased (despite the 4x MSAA anti-aliasing).

This is because the shrubbery is still aliased 2-d images.

I also must say, however, that they are making progress on this problem and have textured some environmental textures to be more like Fuel.

They have rendered some beautiful outdoor scenes and like I said earlier, have delivered with some player models the level of detail that Epic basically promised us.

Take a look at Fist of the North Star to see why I have made such a big deal out of Japanese graphics. Such crappy engine tech shouldn't even be allowed.

The rest of those developers need to either pick up the pace or start licensing tech from developers who actually pay attention to current developments in graphics and engine technology.

Re: Metaverse
Dec 26, 2009, 03:39
Re: Metaverse Dec 26, 2009, 03:39
Dec 26, 2009, 03:39

I can't believe that these idiots can even THINK of suggesting that we have anything close to decent broadband standards. How can they even REMOTELY CONSIDER IT POSSIBLE to con people with such ridiculous data and claims?

How can you walk into a federal hearing and claim that our measly 2 megabit average even comes CLOSE to Japan's 50?!!!!

Let me know when I can finally download demos (currently likely to be over a gig for a major title) without it being a big deal on a lower cost line.

Back in the old days, downloading a demo wasn't a big deal. It was something you could do and expect to be able to play in the same day. These days I have to plan in advance in order to download a demo.

I can't even host a game on this 86-91 kilobyte downstream/12-15 kilobyte upstream DSL connection (and I live close enough to the telco for DSL to not be a problem at all).

Check out speedmatters.org and take a look at some realistic data.

Keep in mind that we INVENTED the Internet. I don't care about the cost of infrastructure; it's already in place and Verizon wanted $50 a month for a Fios 5 megabit connection, last I checked.

Time Warner Cable, on the other hand, offered a 10 megabit fiber/cable hybrid connection for (after initial discount period) $43.

According to information I've read, it costs $35 a month for a 50 megabit connection in Japan and THAT is what the average person is using.

I wouldn't recommend going with them though, as they are the ones trying to roll out metered bandwidth, and have been shown to NOT be scaling it to what they claim (about limiting just the HARDCORE 5% of users that their data shows actually are the ones using up all the bandwidth).

As in expect to pay a premium for over 5 GB in bandwidth monthly (but just THINK of how many INDIVIDUAL PAGES OF HTML you can get with this!)!!!

This comment was edited on Dec 26, 2009, 03:50.

Re: DNF Postmortem
Dec 23, 2009, 14:46
Re: DNF Postmortem Dec 23, 2009, 14:46
Dec 23, 2009, 14:46

Acleacius, you do realize that 95% of Youtube's, posts are absolute rubbish and makes ABSOLUTELY no sense at times....

Correct?

What is the value of public opinion? Also, how would you like to try on my shoes for a few weeks and get a taste of what it's like to fuck up everything that could possibly be fucked up and to be put in the most awkward of positions?

While we're being so candid today I'd just like to say that space captain is pretty much on top of things and you seem to be unable to determine that the reality we seem to be describing to some extent may actually exist.

Particularly that part about public opinion and the stupidity of Youtube,

Why can't you all seem to realize that this shit isn't random and spontaneous and is likely predetermined to be FUBAR and is actually VISIBLY FUBAR

IN THE SENSE OF BEING ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO EVEN FUNCTION IN?!?!?!?!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE REST OF YOU?!?!

"here is a vast and sprawling neurosis across humanity in which people take ideas and concepts as actual physical things, and react accordingly."

If I could count the number of times my mental health depended on my strangely actually schizophrenic like thoughts of what I would do to "you" if I could actually do anything.

I would tell people things like "we'll see how you feel about my life when my life happens to you before you get to go home from this little event.".

Or "good luck with that thing you wanted to accomplish when you can't even wake up in the morning and get to work on time or perform your basic job duties".

Or maybe "I hope you enjoy your bonuses when even the feeling in your fingertips is too much for you to have".

Or maybe "Good luck escaping from the mistake you *MAY* be making with the reality of my life up to and including this point here in 2009!!!!! GOOD LUCK FIGURING THIS OUT!!!!!!"

OH, AND VERNO GOOD LUCK WITH THINGS BEING SO FUCKED UP THAT I APPARENTLY ALMOST DROVE STRAIGHT DUE TO THE STRANGE PHENOMENA YOU ARE ONLY BARELY BEGINNING TO NOTICE.

THAT PERSON LOOKED LIKE THE POWER OF GOD HAD SMACKED HER FACE WHEN I STARTED TURNING RIGHT IN THE FOLLOW UP EVENT.

Also good luck with stopping the voices coming out of your head from continuing to "fuck up" as such.

This comment was edited on Dec 23, 2009, 14:59.

Re: Out of the Blue
Dec 22, 2009, 18:35
Re: Out of the Blue Dec 22, 2009, 18:35
Dec 22, 2009, 18:35

Narf, I'd like to tell you about the antivirus product I use.

It's called Nod32 and is made by a company called ESET.

It is the best product available hands down. There is a correct choice.

I recommend that you use Nod32 and consider trying their Smart Security firewall/malware (virus,spam,etc) solution.

I'm unfamiliar with the Firewall, but it directly integrates into the TCP stack and seems to route all data through itself before any other code gets its hands on things.

Just try to reset your TCP stack through NETSH. It will fail.

It also has IDS properties. Read on to see why I trusted them, initially, blindly for a firewall.

Nod32 (the AV component) wins a VB100% award every time (the competitors have a few under their belts perhaps).

The VB100 award is given out to companies whose AV product can successfully detect, disinfect, and avoid false positives on 100% of their selected samples and, I think, focuses on "in-the-wild" viruses that don't have any virus signatures yet.

The engine's ability to identify unknown threats is apparently unmatched.

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2009, 19:25.

Dec 22, 2009, 18:18
Re: DNF Postmortem Dec 22, 2009, 18:18
Dec 22, 2009, 18:18

I just wanna stress how hard it is to make things come together.

I'm a harsh critic and most games these days just... piss me off.

If the allegations of 3-d Realms still attempting something with DNF, I hope that they seriously look into L4D2's development.

Any developer who doesn't would be ignoring a disruption in the time-space continuum.

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2009, 18:21.

Re: Serious Sam 3 Next Year
Dec 22, 2009, 16:52
Re: Serious Sam 3 Next Year Dec 22, 2009, 16:52
Dec 22, 2009, 16:52

I love the fact that a company named "People Can Fly", with a logo showing a guy wearing a pilot's mask/goggles pretending to fly, developed a game with all your old-school FPS gore and Satanic references.

It's great!

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2009, 16:53.

Dec 22, 2009, 16:29
Re: DNF Postmortem Dec 22, 2009, 16:29
Dec 22, 2009, 16:29

It's very sad.

I don't know anything, but I think their problems were in bad engine selection (bouncing from Quake 2 to Unreal, then to DOOM 3, of all engines to ever choose) and, most importantly, maintaining coherency in the reality of developing a game that's actually fun to play.

Taking a look at DNF videos shows me a game where it's probably fairly boring to shoot people.

The DNF I saw from the Q2 engine showed me a very different, SOF-style duke with realtime decals for gunshot wounds and tentacles stabbing through (with decals) people!

Gibs will not save you from poor design elements. You need to see a miracle in development phenomena. (Also see how gibs in general are shitty excuses when a person turns into 3 little meatballs.)

I must say though that Q2 engine's DNF seemed to be doing a good-faith effort of taking iD's Q2 gibs and making them more fun (though they still didn't quite make it like I'm thinking).

I think they added more gibs and added a more satisfying general blood effect. Perhaps there was an eyeball or two as well. Pretty fun stuff but still too much like Quake 2.

Go buy Left For Dead 2 and start pulling strings to find out how Valve was able to not only make a good ATTEMPT at satisfying someone like ME, but making someone like me LOVE THEM!

Let me break it down: somehow Valve has successfully implemented my desired levels of detail without failing abysmally to even come close to anything remotely resembling what I had in mind.

I would not expect this kind of phenemena to take place, or even exist in this world.

Come on. Getting a *group* of people to coherently work together, implement, and maintain such levels of detail?

Come on!

Edit: Also, kudos to iD Software for actually, since these days, hopping onto a similar bandwagon.

They also are in my little ring of detail-sentient developers.

And please, listen. When you add SOF2-like effects to your first person shooters you significantly increase the general fun of the repetitive mechanic of your gameplay: shooting people.

I remember how when I was in Junior High and had gotten Goldeneye for the N64, all I wanted to do was go home and shoot people with all the awesome attention to detail that was implemented (and first seen!).

Name it: it either started there or was bettered (pock marks/smoke effects anyone? How about visible damage or thudding sounds when shooting people coupled with another little layer of effect <would've been a blood cloud/gib chunks for effect like in Perfect Dark but oh well>?).

Kudos to all who desire to implement such potentially financially-affecting, effective measures in enhancing the general fun of basic gameplay mechanics.

This comment was edited on Dec 22, 2009, 16:40.

Re: Serious Sam 3 Next Year
Dec 20, 2009, 00:13
Re: Serious Sam 3 Next Year Dec 20, 2009, 00:13
Dec 20, 2009, 00:13

I really like that they develop their own in-house engines.

We need people to be doing these things. I know that there's 3 major devs involved already, but to see the industry shy away from any new engine developers would be terrible.

I think it's worth noting that Id and Epic don't necessarily seem to compete head-to-head directly with technical features. It seems more like they do their own things and try to stay "next-gen" in general.

Crytek may positively affect their development by introducing new ideas. While I think Cryengine 3 is a farce (upgraded Cryengine 2 lacking Core I7's forced coolness), they are obviously cutting edge developers that may force some new ideas on the giants.

I certainly hope that the next Unreal Engine is going to be... Unreal again.

I also look forward to Serious Engine 3. The screenshots look great and I remember thinking that Serious Engine 2 was looking pretty damned good.
472 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 18.
Newer [  1    9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ] Older