Total Posts
472 (Amateur)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

472 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 17.
Newer [  1    9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ] Older

Re: Lord of Ultima in Beta
Feb 21, 2010, 14:22
Re: Lord of Ultima in Beta Feb 21, 2010, 14:22
Feb 21, 2010, 14:22

OMG I miss that website. I used to go to it all the time.

I don't mean to ruin your hobby, as I truly loved that game at a point, but I must mention that I had to let it go.

OSI had ruined it so much that it was abusive to myself to continue playing.

I even came back after swearing to never again be caught up in OSI's web of stupidity and ignorance. I never thought that I would actually find myself playing on official servers again. I thought that OSI would never again enslave me to their patches and nerfing.

Let's just say that I quit again.

Also, how is it that UO has changed its interface to resemble WOW? Surely you must mean that they've finally fixed it to where you don't have to have large icons of spells hanging over the screen and instead simply press a number key or something to cast the spell.

Oh well.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2010, 14:30.

Re: Evening Tech Bits
Feb 21, 2010, 14:03
Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 21, 2010, 14:03
Feb 21, 2010, 14:03

I can't seem to figure out what you people are talking about. Are you saying that Intel is trying to license HD4000 series chipsets for use as an Intel-implemented IGP chipset?

And are you, the other poster, trying to tell me that contrary to my expectations, Radeons actually DO SUCK at 2d graphics?

Where as Geforce cards are notorious for shitty 2d graphics (see my desktop).

Like I already said: IGPs CAN process modern games to some extent. It's just that only idiots like to gamble with less-than-desirable budgets.

EDIT: I just noticed that you didn't notice what I meant when I said that IGPs should be able to process modern graphics to some extent.

By that I meant that I have run some medium-detail (settings) games with a Radeon IGP. I was impressed with the performance that I found.

Remember to keep yourself karmatically healthy and run as much as you can off of dedicated hardware. Keep an eye out for any integrated compenents (video, audio) that may be causing significant lag and delays.

ALWAYS run off of dedicated hardware! Even if you aren't running any games! There's $30 graphics cards (other than the $50 Geforce FX 5000 series that are somehow still available despite being at Geforce 10,000 w/ 11,000 around the corner) that you can buy that, as I have witnessed, will significantly reduce some ridiculous general lag that may be coming off of your integrated audio/video.

I speak from experience.

This comment was edited on Feb 21, 2010, 14:15.

Re: Codemasters Expands
Feb 16, 2010, 12:10
Re: Codemasters Expands Feb 16, 2010, 12:10
Feb 16, 2010, 12:10

Codemasters are the ones behind Operation: Flashpoint. When that game came out back in 2000 or so, it was state-of-the-art and everybody with Geforce 3's were having their jaws hit the floor.

They developed their own engine. I find that impressive.

Further impressing is the fact that these guys are the ones who made Game Genie. Remember that?

Who'd have thought that the Game Genie guys would become triple-A developers that are capable of making state-of-the-art in-house 3-d game engines?

Re: Love Next Month
Feb 16, 2010, 04:27
Re: Love Next Month Feb 16, 2010, 04:27
Feb 16, 2010, 04:27

I think that this game is a labor of love from the sole guy who's making it. Even without all of the bold concepts, it's still obvious that for one person to do all this himself takes some degree of passion (or at least some kind of liking of what one is doing).

In regards to your reaction about unnecessary effects, I think he's trying to implement some unique "innovation" (aka thinking outside the box) and immersion. I remember reading something about physics, collisions, and volumetric fog. I also remember reading something that said that stuff was new.

When it comes to true attention to detail, there are a myriad of small things that must be paid attention to. If I was to detail exactly how many details are involved with a simple gunshot wound in Soldier of Fortune 2 (SOF:Payback wasn't made by the same company, and suffered from extreme hatred and pirated copies being deleted from the SOF community.)
...I would spend awhile typing and probably still forget something.

Suffice to say, SOF2 implemented a level of detail that far surpassed Saving Private Ryan (woah there partner: remember that hole in the face scene? Have you ever seen a stoning video???? Hmmm???? Anyone remember SOF2's face shots?).

I can't remember much from any gameplay videos, but I don't remember it being messy at all. It looks like an interactive mosaic (a painting made up of thousands/millions of tiny pieces of colored stones/whatever else).

As far as the AI is concerned, I don't see how monsters/aliens are supposed to interact with the world the same way as a player in order for a FPS element of combat to work in a world-building action-inclusive type game.

I like the idea of co-op like gameplay that brings about a sense of real comradery. Like as if your fighting off some alien horde and your encounters bring about a strange togetherness that is somehow pure and natural.

Such a thing would, if not already truly effectively and fully implemented as a considered aspect, really bring an entirely unexpected sense of humanity to the game.

In any case, I would like to encourage everyone to at least look at some screenshots and read the description of just what Love is.

This comment was edited on Feb 16, 2010, 04:33.

Jan 27, 2010, 03:45
Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 27, 2010, 03:45
Jan 27, 2010, 03:45

Intel is so shitty with their IGPs that the game industry itself has asked them to do something about it!

The PC game market has been fucked over by Intel's incompetence for designing GPUs in that all the non-technical people have SHIT for hardware and can't run any games.

Decent integrated graphics should be able to run some mediocre graphics in modern games.

They should at least try to live up to the rest of the bargain bin.

Re: Lord of Ultima in Beta
Jan 27, 2010, 03:36
Re: Lord of Ultima in Beta Jan 27, 2010, 03:36
Jan 27, 2010, 03:36

Damn thing wouldn't load up through neither IE or Firefox. Oh well.

Anyone ever play Ultima Online? That game was so addictive that I used to play all day after getting home from school, would "macro" my character during dinner, resume play, begin macroing again as I went to sleep, kept it going in the morning, and then made sure it was still on when I left for school.

That game had so much depth to it. I loved how they tried to make everything usable/interactive to some extent. Like how you could harvest lumber/kindling (using an applicable weapon/tool) from any actual tree in the game.

Or how you could then take those logs and craft them into lumber to be crafted into a multitude of different wooden items (like chairs, boxes, tables, and God knows what random stuff).

I loved all that stuff! I want another MMO where there's SERIOUS focus on crafting/trade-skills. I don't want to play an MMO where the idea of crafting is weapons/armor/potions.

I want a game where I can play the entire damned thing as a craftsman exclusively. I want to be able to mine ore out of the actual mountains, and fish in the water, and skin that fish with my knife, start up a fire with my camping skill from the kindle I carved off the tree over there, and then fry up some fish steaks with my cooking skill.

Or perhaps head into town, where an oven is, and cook some into an actual dish.

Or perhaps I should just macro my shitty bard character endlessly at the bank and see how people love my beautiful noob music.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2010, 03:38.

Jan 26, 2010, 20:24
Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 26, 2010, 20:24
Jan 26, 2010, 20:24

Come on. No one is actually buying graphics-related Intel products.

They're just claiming that they have presence in the GPU market because their IGPs happen to get sold when a computer is purchased in a store.

If they were smart, they'd ditch their efforts to transform a CPU into a GPU

(as my results have proven that Core 2 Duos are terrible at what they're trying to get Pentium 1 chips to do <Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2GHz w/ Radeon X1600 Pro to a Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 GHz with said Radeon = craptacular upgrade for realtime game graphics processing)

and try to make a stream-processor project that kicks current parallel floating-point operation processing pale in comparison.

If they could come up with a project for 1000 stream cores or something like that, heads would turn.

Especially if it isn't one of those stupid dedicated parts that require custom programming that no one is going to support anyway.

If they could come out with a product that doesn't provide a specific environment that no one else can have (thus who wants to make an Intel ray-traced-compatible version?), they might find people more willing.

I doubt their technical competence with GPUs (CPUs are coming along great!), but if they were to come out with a product that was supposed to blow away the competition (like some ridiculous number of stream processor cores), I would pay attention.

Everyone, take care to read up on whether your next CPU has an integrated GPU ON THE PROCESSOR DIE. Why? Because that processor may be lacking a feature that the rest have (due to a lack of physical space). I can't remember exactly where I read this, but keep an eye out.

It shouldn't be hard to avoid. Also, make sure to always buy the cheapest chip of the best (non-Extreme Edition, unless your spending that extra money intentionally for the unlocked multiplier) kind (basically the cheapest CPU with the full cache size) with an overclock-capable motherboard and an aftermarket cooler so that you can spend $50 more (the cooler) rather than another $150 (2.66 Core 2 Duo VS. the 3.2 max factory clock).

Also, a 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo processor will allegedly overclock with the stock cooler. Do not ever overclock your hardware without being somewhat comfortable in advance.

Both motherboards and processors require better coolers to really overclock.

This comment was edited on Jan 26, 2010, 20:43.

Re: KillSkill Announced
Jan 22, 2010, 16:42
Re: KillSkill Announced Jan 22, 2010, 16:42
Jan 22, 2010, 16:42

Looks like fun. I just wish they had used a slightly better engine for the graphics.

What can you expect out of a F2P game, though?

I like this trend of action-based F2P MMO-like games.

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2010, 16:43.

Re: Mass Effect 2 Cerberus Network $15 Without Activation Code
Jan 22, 2010, 03:04
Re: Mass Effect 2 Cerberus Network $15 Without Activation Code Jan 22, 2010, 03:04
Jan 22, 2010, 03:04

I hope these idiots trying to make us PAY for free content get what they have coming to them.

At least GPS navigation is becoming a standard, free feature for smartphones (YES!).

Jan 22, 2010, 02:58
Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2010, 02:58
Jan 22, 2010, 02:58

It's worth my while to note that people eat up false information put out by allegedly trustworthy people.

Like these so called "studies" that are sure to be without ulterior motivation.

Jan 21, 2010, 23:13
Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 21, 2010, 23:13
Jan 21, 2010, 23:13

I can't stand these over-glorified number crunchers and their alleged "data".

The average teen does NOT spend almost 8 hours a day in front of a TV/monitor.

Also, it does not cost almost ANYTHING to add another prisoner into a prison. When you add a person into a total cost, people normally say that this person is costing an exact fraction of the total operating cost, thus costs them X amount per day.

That is a lie. The true cost of adding a prisoner is only the food he eats per day, and even that WILL NOT BE OFFSET by adding or taking away another person.

You can add another person to a prison without any costs other than food. Your guards are on salary; they do not cost more when you add more people.

How can people get away with figures like these? How can you possibly manipulate things like this?

Does anyone have any common sense? How can people get away with this?

IMO it's a crime to allow such bullshit to happen.

EDIT: If a teenager gets home at 3 PM, he would have to be sitting in front of the TV until 10 PM, without considering dinner or any other activity, to satisfy this alleged "fact".

You would have to try very hard to make these people's reality true.

This comment was edited on Jan 21, 2010, 23:19.

Re: Peter Jackson Games?
Jan 20, 2010, 09:24
Re: Peter Jackson Games? Jan 20, 2010, 09:24
Jan 20, 2010, 09:24

I think it's good that he's found it possible to apply his ideas to a game. It's very good news for the game industry that a leading director is excited about the angle games provide for his ideas.

Try to not to fuck it up with inflated bullshit about the wonderful storytelling platform and unique story-enhancing interactivity that modern gaming provides.

I'd like to see some unique IPs cropping up that can at least refresh us with some honestly new things; like how Rockstar came out of nowhere with Red Dead Revolver (which I really liked, despite that consistently incomplete/beta feel I got).

Also, I thought that the Xbox FPS involving Oddworld was a surprisingly good game with good graphics.

In any case, my concern is that Peter Jackson will be unable to secure a proper game engine for his ideas.

It's my understanding that Avatar has been in production for a VERY long time (like 8 year DNF status) and that a game version has been tagging along for at least too long as well.

Due to this fact, the game engine that Avatar uses is HORRIBLY out of date and honestly looks like some enhanced Quake 2 engine.

I'm worried that he won't have the technical know-how to properly control things and will at the very best end up with a sub-par Xbox 360-like graphics engine or some crap like that.

By Xbox 360-like I mean that it will magically generate minimal heat (Microsoft, did you already know about this Red Ring of Death issue and somehow make all parties involved in Xbox 360 develop optimize their code to magically make my GPU run at inexplicably low temperatures?)

and run REALLY, REALLY fast for a machine that can't handle modern graphics at the time (before I upgraded I was running an Athlon64 3500+ <2.2 GHz> single core with a Radeon X1600 Pro 512 <good luck w/ the Doom 3 engine when you upgrade the CPU to a Core 2 Duo 2.66, AKA the Crysis PC minus the 8/9800 GT and it still runs slow).

Hopefully he can hire someone who will manage things to where his ideas are professionally and properly implemented.

Unlike all these alleged Hollywood film gurus who apparently become retarded whenever computers are involved.

Like coming from the perspective, perhaps, that "lighting is everything" and yet abysmally faceplant when it comes to hiring that company to implement some middleware-like CGI into their films.

At which point, all control and common sense stops and this third party group implements lighting on the CGI that makes it stick out like a sore thumb and look COMPLETELY UNNATURAL.

The solution? It's what we call "ray tracing" (AKA the only way to make your lighting look realistic).

Also, see Underworld and Dr. Doolittle 2 (I think it's part 2 that has all the triple A cgi).

I have never seen a more realistic depiction of a living creature from CGI than in that Dr. Doolittle movie. Also, Underworld's CGI blended in with the rest of things so well that only one effect kind of stuck out for me; a light reflection coming off of a werewolf's wet chest that was unfortunately rendered without ray-tracing (or something).

Understand; these people apparently say "I want CGI! Make it happen!" and then completely ignore the fact that their movie looks like shit because CGI normally looks that way.

Well, it shouldn't if your putting it in a movie. Lighting is everything, right? Well, you don't have to put up with ignorance or bad lighting.

The Avatar engine being out of date is uacceptable because it is normal in a proper development cycle to scrap an engine and restart the entire project if necessary.

Given that Avatar is a game-to-movie gamble that may exist due to Peter Jackson's whims, a more conservative agenda makes sense (so does failing to dump truckloads of money for a potentially lackluster game on the sales charts).

They really should have ported it to another engine though before release.

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2010, 09:30.

Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens vs. Predator Classic 2000
Jan 16, 2010, 15:35
Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens vs. Predator Classic 2000 Jan 16, 2010, 15:35
Jan 16, 2010, 15:35

Your right, GC. It wasn't really that great of a game, but it was fun.

From the perspective we're looking at, it wasn't that bad though.

The ultimate example of a well-received game that wasn't truly great is Duke Nukem 3-D.

We were all probably kids drooling at the strippers and gore, while the actual game itself just wasn't that good (and damned hard, as well).

In retrospect, I find the levels to be kind of boring.

As for AvP, I must admit that the Predator segment was kind of easy. Though I still like it better than Duke 3-D (and yet, Duke Nukem 3-D will always have been a bigger thing to me).

EDIT: I never got to play any System Shock games. Whoever owns the IP is a fool for not releasing a modern-ready version. TONS of devs do this: remember Death Rally? Download the full version for free! http://www.remedygames.com/games/death_rally.html.

I also wish they'd re-release The Privateer games. That was my first taste of MMO-like addiction.

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 2010, 15:39.

Re: Dark Void PC Demo [Updated]
Jan 16, 2010, 15:26
Re: Dark Void PC Demo [Updated] Jan 16, 2010, 15:26
Jan 16, 2010, 15:26

Sounds good. I'll have to load it up again and see if I can adjust the controls.

Re: Dark Void PC Demo [Updated]
Jan 16, 2010, 02:42
Re: Dark Void PC Demo [Updated] Jan 16, 2010, 02:42
Jan 16, 2010, 02:42

This game is junk. Those idiots are truly incompetent. I really mean that.

I couldn't even control the damned thing while flying due to their stupid ideas about physics and how it should take you 3 seconds to begin moving in any direction from when you begin trying.

I also think that designing their game to resemble Halo makes them look like a child trying to act cool with a potentially invalid idea.

I also find their forced widescreen mode for non-widescreen resolutions to be inhibitive. Widescreen is great... AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A WIDESCREEN MONITOR.

OTHERWISE YOU ARE STUCK IN A SMALL RECTANGULAR BOX PLAYING SOME RIDICULOUS PIECE OF SHIT GAME THAT DOESN'T EVEN FUNCTION PROPERLY.

Not to mention the weird fat guy in the beginning.

Wanna know the funniest part? If they had only gotten a few basic principles right, it might have been fun (and extremely profitable, based on the Fileplanet download ranking <#2>).

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 2010, 02:46.

Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens vs. Predator Classic 2000
Jan 16, 2010, 02:19
Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens vs. Predator Classic 2000 Jan 16, 2010, 02:19
Jan 16, 2010, 02:19

I don't know about the rest of you, but I love this game. For $4.99 I am sold.

Also, the graphics were possibly better than any Lithtech stuff (Monolith's budget-bin engine) at the time. Nor are they as hard to look at as I thought they would be.

How can you bash a 9-10 year old game's graphics that weren't even necessarily that shitty at the time? Were you unable to play Half-Life Source?

You do realize that this isn't even supposed to be an "upgraded" version like that, right?

Also, the game is nothing at all like a Doom clone. It isn't anything like a Quake clone either. It was its own thing and it did a bloody good job (pun intended) of providing some satisfying entertainment.

I think you just have a problem with it.

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 2010, 02:28.

Re: The Saboteur Final Patch Planned
Jan 16, 2010, 02:15
Re: The Saboteur Final Patch Planned Jan 16, 2010, 02:15
Jan 16, 2010, 02:15

I'll bet you $5 they learned their lesson and the Saboteur is a good game.

Re: Original Aliens vs. Predator to Return
Jan 15, 2010, 17:45
Re: Original Aliens vs. Predator to Return Jan 15, 2010, 17:45
Jan 15, 2010, 17:45

THESE FINGERS ARE MADE OF STEEL!

Jan 15, 2010, 16:57
Re: Original Aliens vs. Predator to Return Jan 15, 2010, 16:57
Jan 15, 2010, 16:57

I don't think they'll be able to, neither. I'm also worried that the gore will be very shitty.

I hated the marine campaign because it was just too damned hard. I found it extremely atmospheric, but I was younger at the time and felt more like applying my ownage, rather than cowering in fear.

I do like that it's atmospheric like that, however.

I just want to remind people that to satisfy my technical cravings for quality content is a hard thing to do.

And yet Valve Software has come through to a level of specification that involves champagne bottles opening and opiate-like disregard for any rough edges with Left For Dead 2.

A little thing or two was kind of crappy, but the overwhelming things that they have accomplished makes the lower res **blood** texture that I saw a few times seem like an insult to a fortune-giving relative who just gave you 5 million dollars.

Remember that L4D2's gore *IS* sub-par in some details (specifically resolution of blood textures at some points, the gut thing was weird but was *saved* by massive surprising variety around the collarbone region of ironically similar oddness, and the entire issue that Raven experienced the first time THEY did this thing involving too much de-limbing from lower-caliber weapons) , but that they managed AAA quality in general dismemberment (as in actually WAS BETTER THAN SOLDIER OF FORTUNE 2 RATHER THAN ATTEMPTING TO MIMIC THE GAME).

I try to avoid any negative commentary in regards to L4D2 because it's as if I was personally overseeing the development team to a major extent. I am dead serious.

I have sent them an email commending them on their ability to do the un-doable; to actually live up to standards already set by previous works and to actually attempt to do so with the specific goal in mind, clear as day.

L4D2's shortcomings are to be DISREGARDED and shoved to the back burner, only to be present for consideration in FUTURE DEVELOPMENTS.

They take the cake for their accomplishments and should not be insulted, as what they have done is a miracle and should not be criticized over smaller details.

I also like how they actually gave the M16 and AK47 distinct, unique properties that for the first time ever, actually leave you with a specific want for either one (depending on how you feel).

When I want a more accurate, higher rate of fire with possibly less potential of de-limbing, I turn to the M16 and fill 'em with lead.

When I want more stopping-power, penetration, and general "oomph", I pick the AK47, despite its lower firing rate and bigger bullet spread.

I love L4D2 and Valve Software.

EDIT: "No, it will NOT automatically work on all Windows OS's currently in use, because they sell it on Steam. There are plenty of games on Steam, not working (or not working properly) with the current Windows OS. "

"To really like Steam, you have to live in the States and use XP or Vista. Any other country or current Windows OS? Good luck! You'll need it ... "

OK, I wasn't aware that Valve unfortunately failed to implement a policy of checking software for ensured compatibility with current operating systems.

That surprises me, as I had expected otherwise with large amount of re-released old games made available again on Steam that WOULD NOT WORK WITH THEIR NORMAL SHIPPED CODE.

Multiple titles that would not work (AVP INCLUDED) are available on Steam in updated, working order for modern machines.

I'm sorry that there are regional blocks that affect you and that you've had such a bad experience with things.

You are right as far as the compatibility issues.

I'm also surprised (and this one's different) that Microsoft's virtualization programming is coming up short. They did so well with the WOW emulator in 64 bit versions of Windows, and Vista's compatibility was even better than XP's (I ran Fallout 2 1.0 for over 30 minutes without crashing AT ALL in XP X64!).

I would expect Windows 7's VMs for XP to be 90% compatible and with an input lag that still allows for 2x MSAA to work fairly well.

I've recently switched from XP Pro 64-bit to Win7 32-bit in order to take advantage of the Macrofusion feature of my processor (you may need 64 bit to get I7's to work with it due to the new full 64-bit Macrofusion... LOL).

I've found that Vista *and* Win7 run FASTER THAN XP with modern multicore processors!

It's just like the Crysis engine all over again (AS FAR AS MULTICORE RELATED PROCESSING), with people complaining that it's programming is extremely inefficient (we're talking Vista's processing efficiency likely with multicore processors, not anything else!) when in reality you are required to be running a MODERN MULTI-CORE PROCESSOR in order to comply with the ACTUAL REQUIREMENTS.

That's right; all those people with dual graphics cards that were complaining about Cryengine 2 were a bunch of Pentium 4 NOOBS.

They should have went with AMD, as back then they offered faster chips for less money (with integrated memory controllers already!).

Also, a 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo processor leaves something to be desired in XP where a 2.3 GHz Core 2 Quad TEARS THROUGH VISTA LIKE NOBODY'S BUSINESS.

And this is with all the reviewers complaining about the lack of difference between quad cores and dual cores in raw performance comparisons!

I think the 8000 line of Core 2 chips has been upgraded for performance, but that Microsoft actually got something right with Vista when it comes to processing data efficiently with multi-core processors (don't feel too bad, IE8 is still the polar opposite of this and is likely to never be fixed due to Win7/Vista masking the symptoms. Just like my 30% reduced performance video card <due to heating issues with EVGA and stream processors failing to produce artifacting before crashing> and DirectX 10.).

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2010, 17:15.

Jan 15, 2010, 15:31
Re: Original Aliens vs. Predator to Return Jan 15, 2010, 15:31
Jan 15, 2010, 15:31

That price is RIGHT ON THE MONEY ($4.99)! I was afraid it would be $10 (similar to paying $20 for Counterstrike where $10 would have been money I'd give "on a silver platter" just to support the product <which I was playing for free already>).

I will be buying this game.

And yes, it will work on all Windows OS's currently in use. Or they wouldn't allow it on Steam (don't even bother trying to get the demo to work unless your running on a single-core AthlonXP with integrated graphics or something).

Honestly, those screenshots don't look THAT bad. http://store.steampowered.com/screenshot/view/3730/2/?size=800

Remember what I said about all the blood leaving proper decals on the floor?

And remember, these guys code their own engines. We should all be supportive of such things when it's probably financially implausible to do that much anymore.

Here's to hoping the new game is at least as good as the original.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2010, 15:41.
472 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 17.
Newer [  1    9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ] Older