Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vanja

Real Name Vanja   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname InBlack
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 27, 2008, 12:06
Total Comments 9707 (Guru)
User ID 46994

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > No Man's Sky in June
35. Re: removed Oct 28, 2015, 04:31 InBlack

Krovven wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 16:58:
* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 27, 2015, 17:02.

...always late to the party!

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No Man's Sky in June
34. Re: removed Oct 28, 2015, 04:30 InBlack

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 16:24:
* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Oct 27, 2015, 17:02.

Goddamnit!

News Comments > Overwatch Beta Today
15. Re: Overwatch Beta Today Oct 28, 2015, 04:09 InBlack

I still feel there is a market for good MMORPGS, but only if they stop copying the carebear gameplay of WoW and its ilk.

MMOs need to go back to their hardcore MUD roots to be successful. The rise of survival games (of all things) proves this. Just look at that ARK Dinosaur game, with a few tweaks it could almost qualify as an MMO.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
70. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2015, 04:01 InBlack

Kxmode wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 17:06:
Cutter wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 13:56:
Invisible sky wizards

Can we please not get into this? Yes, there are those of us who actually believe in God. You don't have to agree with my beliefs but at least be respectful. This is an community of varying expressions.

Hang on. From your previous post you indicated that humans were designed to be vegetable eaters. Biologically speaking this is completely wrong. Do you believe in the story of Creation as it is written down in the Bible?

(Im not trying to mock or to have fun, didn't think that creationists visited these boards anymore so I just wanted to know)

This comment was edited on Oct 28, 2015, 04:36.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation - The Collection Released
17. Re: Alien: Isolation - The Collection Released Oct 28, 2015, 03:54 InBlack

Really, really, meh gameplay. If you enjoy loading set pieces until you "figure it out" you will like this game. Personally, I thought the game was a wasted opportunity.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2015, 11:05 InBlack

nin wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 10:53:

It's all about managed expectations. If you go in expecting the world, you're going to be disappointed. And the reality is (and I'm just as guilty as anyone else), when you say you "grew up with these movies, and loved them as much as the next kid" and that a franchise "will all turn to shit"...that's rose colored glasses talking. In our minds, we hold those "classics" to such high regard, that there's no way anything new or different will meet our expectations.

It's not just about expectations. It's about not regurgitating the same thing over and over again, like Hollywood has increasingly been doing for the past twenty years or so. It seems to be accelerating and getting worse. (Not just with Star Wars)

Look at literature as an example, you don't see people bending over backwards to write sequels to the great novels of the time, well to be honest you do. But how many of them ever capture the feeling of the original(s)?

7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2015, 11:01 InBlack

Blue wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 10:58:
nin wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 10:53:
I mean really, is that an outstanding career? That's borderline "You next job is managing the Space MCDonalds".

Yeah, but he killed the shit out of those younglings, right? No one can ever take that away from him.

I see where you two are going with this, and funny as it is, it's not what I meant. What I meant was in a dramatic sense, not in a logical one. Like Villains found in Shakespeare or Opera, they are great because they are flawed

3. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2015, 10:35 InBlack

nin wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 10:11:
Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - The Force Awakens Mashup. Thanks JDreyer.

Both (ANH and TFA) appear to very much have a "passing the torch" vibe, in a good way. Just as Luke learns of the force, his history and connection to it, and what it means for the future, I suspect Episode 7 to have the same vibe, with the younger cast, and the older cast taking a step back from center frame (and perhaps eventually disappearing entirely).

And I'm ok with that, finally. I think if you truly love something, you have to accept that things will change, and that the future will be different than what you might adore right now.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I was never a huge Star Wars fan, but I am a huge Sci-Fi fan. I too grew up with these movies, and loved them as much as the next kid. When I watch them as an adult, I can still appreciate the vision and the great epic, sci-fi opera feel, and despite the flaws of the films I still feel that no film has even attempted (apart from the godawful Episodes I, II and III) let alone captured this 'space opera' atmosphere, and still feel that Vader is the greatest Sci-Fi film villain of all time.
Why the mixed feelings you ask? Because like every single film that has ever grown into a franchise property, this will all turn to shit. The new film might even capture some of that 'space opera' feel, but it will never live up the original trilogy. This saddens me as a sci-fi connoisseur, as I feel that maybe there was space for a new generation of kids to grow up with a new space opera film totally unrelated to Star Wars (before you ask, Guardians of the Galaxy doesn't even come close) if this very talented group of people working on this film tried to do their own thing. (Sort of like Lucas did with Star Wars).

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2015, 10:23 InBlack

I take it "Only Fools and Horses" was never really that popular in the States. One of my favorite character from the show was called Trigger.  

3. Re: Overwatch Beta Today Oct 27, 2015, 10:15 InBlack

Much obliged  

1. Re: Overwatch Beta Today Oct 27, 2015, 10:12 InBlack

Wasn't expecting this. Pleasantly surprised. Does anyone know is this limited to NA only? Can any of us poor sobs from the EU hope to get invited at all?  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Preload Plans
25. Re: Fallout 4 Preload Plans Oct 27, 2015, 05:07 InBlack

harlock wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 20:45:
Creston wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 20:27:
harlock wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 19:21:
i have near zero interest in this.. which is a shame considering its in the Fallout series and i fucking loved that damn game when it came out.. it was like "WOW NEW RPG GAMES ARE GOING TO BE SO AWESOME NOW!!!"

yeh, so it didnt quite work out like that... as always, money ruins everything

I don't think that's really true. Not all RPGs have turned out the way of the old Fallout, but there's plenty of really good RPGs still. Witcher 3 is an obvious one that comes to mind.

And the sad reality is that Fallout 1 and 2 sold very poorly. Other than a Kickstarter, we'd have never seen a sequel to it in their vein.

of course nothing is black and white.. i knew witcher would come up and yeh thats a great game, num 3 was amazing - but honestly i consider those games in their own category since you are role-playing a deeply established character

my main point is the technical level of achievement in F2 has really not been surpassed, and only a few games come close - and again, its not perfect - but there is a particular blend of many many choices all interacting together, in terms of (especially) dialog, characterization, play style, and the open endedness of it all

it really was a high water mark, ive played them again recently and this is no nostalgic bullshit - those games had a shitload of work poured into them - and they were made for nerds, not brosters and console kiddies, so there was no dumbing down, no hand holding, and no fear of presenting the player with a lot of complexity or difficulty

and actually another one of these high water marks that has never been surpassed is Jagged Alliance 2... same deal, play it today and you will understand

of course if you cant deal with "shitty graphics" or whatever then none of this makes sense anyways... and honestly im not interested in a debate, im not looking to convince anyone of anything... make up your own minds, fucking live it up while you can

I agree with this 100%. Not buying F4 at release, but will check word of mouth etc. etc. but I have kind of a bad feeling about this one. I just wish Bethesda had outsourced development of all of their Fallouts to Obsidian after New Vegas. They should stick with Elder Scrolls...

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 26, 2015, 12:30 InBlack

Cutter wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 11:55:
InBlack wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 10:13:
Linthat22 wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 10:07:
Put me in the "old fuddy duddy" column, since none of this live streaming stuff doesn't make sense. I don't get wanting to watch someone playing a game versus playing it myself.

It's actually quite illuminating, especially with competitive games. You know, the same reason why people enjoy watching sports but don't actually play them.

No it's not. I watch football because I can't play the game at that physical level. Anything that I can't do - really well at least - is something that usually interests me. Watching people do what I can do, play games, golf, etc. is something I'd rather do than ever watch someone do.

I can play football (soccer) but I can't play it on the same level as Ronaldo or Messi. Same with any e-sports game. There is no way I can play those games on the level that I can watch pro teams going at it on twitch.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2015, 10:20 InBlack

About that DarkHorizons article. The article headline mentions "White" but the article itself doesn't mention race anywhere, only age and sex. Kind of scummy if you ask me.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2015, 10:16 InBlack

Thanks for the recommendation Blue, Im a fan of Patrick Stewart so will try and find the first season somewhere.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 26, 2015, 10:13 InBlack

Linthat22 wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 10:07:
Put me in the "old fuddy duddy" column, since none of this live streaming stuff doesn't make sense. I don't get wanting to watch someone playing a game versus playing it myself.

It's actually quite illuminating, especially with competitive games. You know, the same reason why people enjoy watching sports but don't actually play them.

News Comments > Another Steam User Record
3. Re: Another Steam User Record Oct 26, 2015, 10:09 InBlack

gravity wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 10:06:
Am I alone in the feeling that my preference for Steam is starting to wane?

Not sure if it's due to the flood of poor quality games, or simply my age is beginning to take hold.

My PS4 is much more appealing to me these days... I know, I've committed adultery.

Im with you on this. Im much less interested in the games that do come out, and those that do catch my interest I usually get elsewhere now since I get better deals that way. (For example the Witcher 3) I don't even have the Steam client installed anymore. When a good game that requires Steam comes along, Ill probably be back, but until then Im staying away and not missing it really.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2015, 06:48 InBlack

Bill Murray AMA is awesome.  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
1. Re: Sunday Metaverse Oct 26, 2015, 06:19 InBlack

Looking forward to this. One of my favorite P.K.Dick novels...  

News Comments > Falcon Collection on GOG.com
11. Re: Falcon Collection on GOG.com Oct 24, 2015, 04:34 InBlack

My 486DX2/66Mhz was a monster back then. Your puny SX based processors didn't stand a chance  

9707 Comments. 486 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo