Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vanja

Real Name Vanja   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname InBlack
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 27, 2008, 12:06
Total Comments 9707 (Guru)
User ID 46994

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Overwatch Beta Hiatus
4. Re: Overwatch Beta Hiatus Dec 4, 2015, 02:30 InBlack

Lucky bastards. Would have enjoyed having access. But I never get into these things. I don't think I have ever been invited for a beta anything...ever.  

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
23. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 3, 2015, 05:50 InBlack

Not going to climb on the Windows X hate train, but the truth is that for PC gaming there is currently no better or more reliable OS than Windows 7.

Wake me up when DirectX12 surfaces and is actually supported in games and then we can talk more.

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Released; No Multi-GPU Support and Other Issues
32. Re: Just Cause 3 Released; No Multi-GPU Support and Other Issues Dec 2, 2015, 07:13 InBlack

theyarecomingforyou: No one is advocating mediocrity, we are advocating common sense. When more than 50% of games coming out today don't even support SLI, and those that do provide very little performance gains then why even go that route?

For example, the most graphically intensive and performance hogging game Im currently playing is DCS World 2.0. It doesn't support SLI, and for all intents and purposes there is very little indication that SLI support is incoming any time soon. Those who managed to 'hack' it to work are reporting no performance gains. I was thinking of buying another 970, but when I think it thorough I would just be throwing money away. The 970 is brutal overkill for most new games coming out. And Nvidia refuses to support older, PC only games by releasing SLI profiles for those games. So, why game with SLI at all?

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
12. Re: Watch the watch Dec 2, 2015, 07:05 InBlack

Now that their utility is very easily displaced by our mobile phones, watches have become even bigger status symbols (as well as jewelry) then ever before.

So taking into consideration that an iWatch doesn't even work without an iPhone, and needs regular charging (unlike most regular watches), what does an iWatch say about a person who wears one? That's a rhetorical question, and Ill end my part in this discussion on that note.

30. Re: Just Cause 3 Released; No Multi-GPU Support and Other Issues Dec 2, 2015, 02:44 InBlack

Jerykk wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 23:14:
PHJF wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 17:28:
I would be very curious as to how many of us blues crew here actually run multi GPU setups.

I would if I wasn't so poor. To a layman, a single powerful card is pretty much always better than two lesser cards... so SLI, exactly like GSync, is only useful to the people who can afford top-end equipment in the first place.

Even if you have the money, SLI/Crossfire isn't a very good investment. Many games either do not support it or have problems when using it. I had a dual GPU card a years ago and was only able to effectively use both GPUs about 50% of the time. Things haven't really changed since then.

I agree with this. Say you have the money for two moderately powerful cards, you would be better advised to spend it on a single but much more powerful card. According to some people I know who game on SLI, Nvidia support for SLI has been horrid, and even in cases where they managed to get it to work, there are games which show 99% usage of both cards yet play at exactly the same speed as one card (or even slower).

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
20. Re: New GeForce Drivers Dec 2, 2015, 02:35 InBlack

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 15:55:
StaticRandomNumber wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 13:08:
I am curious with these driver updates post game release. When they made the game (over the course of a few years), they must have used some older drivers and whatever they intended to display was done with those.

That a driver update post-release is suddenly a big optimization puzzles me quite a bit, unless the driver updates are simply corner cutting to make things run smoother.

Dude, modern GPUs have computing features that the developers take advantage of during game development to program their own custom shaders and effects.

All of this stuff will work fine on drivers that are available during the game's development. However, it is absolutely possible to optimize and accelerate these custom effects on driver level.

That's why the game devs cooperate closely with nVidia engineers towards the end of development to implement optimizations for the "game-ready" drivers.

These new drivers are supposed to make sure you have a smoother, better performing experience and hopefully no cosmetic glitches which might occur on older drivers in some circumstances.

What if I primarily want to play something older? Then I can go suck a dick right? Because with every single "game ready" driver Nvidia has released, my performance dropped or I've had other problems in older/other titles. Oh and as for performance improvements, has anyone here tried "before/after" comparisons with these driver updates or are you all (as I suspect) talking out of your ass? I'm actually trying to find the best driver for DCS World 2.0 at the moment, as that is the most performance intensive game/simulation running on my PC at the moment.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
9. Re: Watch the watch Dec 2, 2015, 02:27 InBlack

Reactor wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 23:16:
Yeah, the time is pretty accurate.

Admit it. The watch is a piece of shit. You know you want to.

15. Re: Just Cause 3 Released; No Multi-GPU Support and Other Issues Dec 1, 2015, 15:21 InBlack

Im confused, some people have mentioned a 30FPS hardlock, others 60FPS, which is it?  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront 40-Player Battle Shown
31. Re: Star Wars Battlefront 40 Player Battle Shown Dec 1, 2015, 09:03 InBlack

Creston wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 08:46:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 22:38:
Steele Johnson wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 21:42:
it's almost 2016 and online FPS devs are still struggling with # of players? Every 3d game wihether it be pve or pvp should have no problem supporting hundreds of npc and pcs with very minimal lag. the tech has been there for years now so use it!

What "tech has been there for years" to eliminate lag? Gaming is a global affair. Publishers can't really choose their audience and they can't economically offer servers for every single geographical region.
So you end up with broadband people physically close to the game servers who ping in at <20ms and then you have some maggot from Bumfuck, OH on LTE pinging in at 250+ms.

Due to the complexity of modern game engines, the advancements in 3D tech have actually had a detrimental effect as you can see by the lower player numbers than a decade ago because there is much more data that needs to be processed, checked and updated in "real-time"... well, or as close as you can get to that with the 200ms maggot.

This is not an issue of CPU/GPU processing power at all but an issue of not being able to predict latency. You need to get data from A to B and back to A while also calculating what C, D, E, F, G... and so on are doing at the same time.
This is a physical limitation of online. There is no tech to work around those limitations except hooking up every single gamer home with fibre but even then there'd still be limits to what you can do.

If only there was some way where players could see their latency to a server, and then pick which server they want to play on based on that latency.

We could call it... I dunno, like a server picker!

Hahhah, bravo! Golfclap

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: A Car Dealers Wonít Sell: Itís Electric Dec 1, 2015, 08:00 InBlack

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 07:29:
Well.. they could make these cars actually affordable... and invent a battery that can last for 30 years.. and not just 5 ?

They are working on that. The upcoming Tesla 3 model, will cost half as much as the Tesla S. Musk has stated that his goal is to ultimately make electric cars as affordable and efficient as possible. As far as battery retention/price/power is concerned, Tesla is in the process of building the biggest battery factory in the world. Tesla also guarantees free recharges at all of its recharge stations. Musk is a smart guy, and unlike most entrepreneurs today, he seems to care a lot about things other than profit.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: A Car Dealers Wonít Sell: Itís Electric Dec 1, 2015, 07:17 InBlack

One other thing to consider. Mechanical breakdown and failure. Pretty much any component in today's built Teslas can be replaced, and fairly cheaply at that. (Except for the battery, which I believe is probably the most expensive part of the car). Additionally, there are very few moving mechanical parts to break down in the first place, and the types of electric motors that Tesla is using now are an order of magnitude simpler than the 'modern' diesel or gasoline engine. Tesla's biggest problem in the future will be how to sell NEW models to existing Tesla owners.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
17. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 1, 2015, 03:54 InBlack

Corporate Drones, and the National Rifle Association. What could go possibly wrong?

This comment was edited on Dec 1, 2015, 06:56.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 1, 2015, 03:45 InBlack

Only people who've never lived anywhere else could believe that the US is a police state. It's not. It's on its way to becoming one, and will get there when good people stand aside and do nothing, but at the moment it still isn't. Do something about it.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
7. Re: etc., etc. Dec 1, 2015, 03:43 InBlack

Frijoles wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 23:37:
If they are the same, it's because Beth was lazy and reused assets.

Heh. This. On an aditional note someone should go and burn all copies of the Gamebyro engine source code, then format all the computers at Bethsoft. Getting rid of that piece of shit engine would be the best thing to happen to them. Ever.

News Comments > Evening Patches
4. Re: Evening Patches Dec 1, 2015, 03:40 InBlack

Downloading as we speak. (While I am at work). Looking forward to trying it out, but gotta remember it's only an Alpha. Going to intall FC3 first, then the Albatros and take it from there.

My speeds ranged from 0.6MB/s to 1.2 MB/s and sometimes they dip as low as 200 Kb/s.

Did you have a chance to try out the ATC, is it the same shitty ATC from 1.2.X and 1.5 or did they finally throw in some improvements?

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront 40-Player Battle Shown
25. Re: Star Wars Battlefront 40 Player Battle Shown Dec 1, 2015, 03:36 InBlack

Kxmode wrote on Dec 1, 2015, 02:08:
NotOneOfUs wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 20:11:
Forty players, eh? Keep it up, and we might reach 1998!

That's significant when you factor in the level of fidelity in Star Wars Battlefront. People are playing in 4K native resolution over Broadband. That's gotta be murder on the SWBF servers.

Not sure if you are joking or what. net latency should have no, absolutely no connection to the rendering engine. If it does, you are programming it wrong. CJ is wrong, graphical fidelity has nothing to do with the low player counts of recent years, the reason is and always will be MONEY! It costs a shitload of money to do this right, and why do it right when you can do it cheap.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
19. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 30, 2015, 08:27 InBlack

How can you LOVE the original ED and hate this new one? It's basically the same game, with updated graphics? (Which was exactly what was pitched, minus the offline play)  

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 30, 2015, 08:02 InBlack

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 07:52:

The PTU which isn't even in proper Alpha yet has more gameplay, ships and features than the entirety of ED though... ^^

Really?? So in the PTU you can dock with different space stations, mine and refine asteroids, trade all sorts of commodities, engage in missions for different corporations and navies, hunt pirates, become a pirate, do astronomical surveys and establish trade routes and more??

Yeah Im gonna go ahead and call your comparison to that other game pure hyperbole, although another word comes to mind that would be more accurate.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2015, 02:50 InBlack

PHJF wrote on Nov 29, 2015, 21:38:
Did a Skylake build this weekend. Went with a Gigabyte board that had a lot of options for the $170 price, but it was DOA with a memory detect error. Replaced with an EVGA that ended up being a little sorry looking on paper but at least it works. It doesn't have ANY USB2 headers (just two on the rear panel), so the old HAF case's front panel USB is worthless. The new Samsung 850 SSD was also too cool to come with a fucking 3.5" bay adapter, something which not surprisingly is sold in virtually no stores.

But the real icing on the cake was this gem: Intel's new z170 chipset does away with EHCI support... which means Windows 7 install will not recognize USB input devices. The Gigabyte that was DOA featured a combo PS2 port that would have gotten around this. The EVGA does not. I guess ASUS z170 boards came with an EHCI bios option that would allow Win7 installs, but EVGA didn't. Turns out a BIOS update is REQUIRED to add a "Windows 7 Installation" option for the sole purpose of adding USB input detection. Except I can't use the hard drive's Win7 install to DOWNLOAD new bios because win7 restore WON'T DETECT THE FUCKIN USB INPUT DEVICES.

So at this point I don't have access to another computer with which to download bios. I have a couple of worthless tablets on hand which I've been finding why the fuck the input devices aren't working. So rather than entirely break down this new build, replace it with old hardware, download the BIOS update to a thumbdrive, and then reinstall the new build, I Frankenstein-rig the old board/cpu to the installed PSU and hold the old heatsink to the thing while the guy whose computer we're building hurriedly accesses his old Win install to get the new BIOS.

So we get the new BIOS installed, tick "Windows 7 Installation" in the BIOS, and can finally fucking install. And it's a good thing we had the Win7 disc handy because guess what you can't fucking install Win7 via USB anymore, either. I've had my share of quirks in computer building before but this takes the taco.

Stay classy Intel! Im sick of these companies doing everything in their power to fuck over the little guy just so they can sell their 'latest' product... Really no EHCI support? Despicable...

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 30, 2015, 02:39 InBlack

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 30, 2015, 00:56:
That the $15 version of Elite: Dangerous is now outdated and they're charging $60 for the soon to be released standalone expansion killed any enthusiasm I had for that discount real quick. They're calling it the new "season" of content updates, implying there's going to be a new $60 expansion next year, and so on...

Well that other space game project thingy, is selling .jpeg images of virtual space ships for thousands of dollars, and they are not even in the game yet. Compared to that this is a pretty sweet deal...

9707 Comments. 486 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo