Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vanja

Real Name Vanja   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname InBlack
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 27, 2008, 12:06
Total Comments 9707 (Guru)
User ID 46994

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2015, 04:16 InBlack

Fantaz wrote on Dec 22, 2015, 19:52:
congrats on SpaceX for the landing!

Came here to post exactly that. Fucking awesome.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
17. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 23, 2015, 03:24 InBlack

Ive gotten pretty far along in the main quest line with Fallout4 as I find the settlement building boring beyond belief. Then again, the Sims make me puke so I guess I just have a general dislike of games that do the whole doll house simulator thing...

Never was much for playing with dolls either when I was a kid, although I did like transformers, model planes and toy cars...

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Dec 23, 2015, 03:12 InBlack

Jagacademy wrote on Dec 22, 2015, 15:53:
I got a vasectomy so that I won't have to give up gaming.

Wait, what?

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Microsoft fails Windows Phone fans Dec 23, 2015, 03:09 InBlack

From what little Ive seen of it, Windows actually looks good on a phone. Tiles and all of that touch shit make sense. Can't judge based on a few minutes of experience with it on a friends Nokia phone, but it can't be worse than Android can it? (disclaimer, all of my smartphones phones have been Android based, Android sucks unless you are willing to put in the effort of jailbreaking or rooting your phone)  

25. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2015, 14:31 InBlack

harlock wrote on Dec 21, 2015, 14:15:
fuck these goddamn chimps and their fucking reboots...

just go ahead and reboot yourselves back into the dirt.. remember the dirt? yeh, go back to that - its calling you

Oh Captain, my Captain!

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2015, 14:16 InBlack

1badmf wrote on Dec 21, 2015, 13:53:
well like i said, once the hype train disappears from view i think people will begin to see its MASSIVE flaws more clearly. frankly that's the only way to explains it ridiculous rotten tomatoes rating, cuz it ain't nearly that good. yeah, it's just a reboot of A New Hope, but rehashing old stories is frankly the only thing abrams is good at anymore. what you said about the lightsaber fight REALLY bugged the shit out of me even as i was watching it.

secret text:

Kylo should've skewered the both of them literally with his eyes closed. but even if we somehow accept that him being shot somehow weakened his fighting ability to the point that two complete n00bs could beat him, he should've flattened both of them with a single force crush.

Think about it this way. When did Luke ever really practice with the Lightsaber? Yoda didn't use one later on in his life. And we only see it in one scene with Obi Wan where he is basically doing it better with his eyes closed! Secret text follows: Ren basically did incapacitate Finn. And we have to assume he might have been toying with him a little bit since he is an arrogant prick. And Rey is innately powerful, like Luke was powerful. Ren himself exposed her to the Force during her torture. We get a glimpse of it when it is hinted at that she might be even more powerful than he is, and he knew it!

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2015, 14:28.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2015, 13:52 InBlack

Jdreyer When was the last time you watched the original trilogy? I gave the original trilogy a whirl about two weeks ago to get ready for this one, and while it was original and had believable and consistent world building it featured many if not the same flaws you bring up here. I'm not going to refute you point by point, although I am in agreement with some of what you wrote here I still let myself enjoy the film and maybe you should give it another chance, since even the old ones are basically a retelling of the classic Hero myth so prevalent in our culture. There is a lot of room for Abrams to push the sequels into new territory, but expecting something 'new' from Star Wars is only setting yourself up for disappointment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hero_with_a_Thousand_Faces

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2015, 11:48 InBlack

On the subject of SW:FA, here is some of my reasoning and criticism of the film and why I think the movie isn't a masterpiece (but it was so close dammnit!) Spoilers in secret text below:

The movie is great, there is no denying it, but it could have been so much better if a little more intelligence went into crafting it. A lot can be said about Lucas but one thing both the original trilogy had and the prequels had was effective world building. Bear with me. 32 years after episode VI we find ourselves in a Galaxy where the Republic is apparently in power but where for some unexplained reason, they have no fleet, no apparent government structure, and they rely on a badly equipped ragtag bunch called "the Resistance" to fight its battles against what was the losing side in ROTJ? I don't mind that the story is basically a rehash of A New Hope, I don't even mind the super death star (history repeats itself etc. etc.) but for God's sake why is the Republic the underdog here? It just doesn't make any sense. The movie did recapture some of the magic of the original films, thanks to a great effort by the actors both young and old, pretty good dialogue, and great directing by Abrams. Still, I hope that we get some resolution to this in the second outing. Don't get me wrong I still enjoyed the film, everything except for R2D2 deciding to wake up out of the Blue and complete the map, that was super lame and kind of seemed to indicate that the writers wrote themselves in a corner there and just said fuck it: Here is the map to Luke. Oh well, at least Kylo Ren wasn't Luke. Now that [was surprising.

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 2015, 11:54.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Dec 21, 2015, 11:12 InBlack

Oh man that Tie Fighter review nailed it! Best space sim I ever played and so faithful to the Star Wars universe...  

News Comments > Mafia 3 Footage
33. Re: Mafia 3 Footage Dec 20, 2015, 12:52 InBlack

Jerykk wrote on Dec 20, 2015, 01:09:
The Half Elf wrote on Dec 20, 2015, 00:30:
Even listen to the guy from IGN's reaction. He reviewed Mafia 1 and 2 for IGN, and his reaction is that it's way to over the top.

If it was grabbing the guy from behind (hand over mouth) and a stab in the back through the ribs, I would TOTALLY get that. But it's like they are purposly going after the shock value of 12 year old's "OMG DID YOU SEE HIM JUST STAB HIM IN THE CHEST OVER AND OVER!" commentary.

One could argue that the protagonist, as a Vietnam War vet and gangster, is desensitized to violence and that the developers are trying to make the player feel desensitized too.

Exactly. For all we know the guy enjoys violence and gets his thrills from stabbing people in the face. A lot of pointless talk about about how the (anti)hero should behave, and yet we know nothing about his personality.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 20, 2015, 05:49 InBlack

nin wrote on Dec 19, 2015, 16:39:
Back in town from TFA last night...JJ fucking nailed it.

Its an enjoyable film. But it's very far from perfect. The story itself was...how to put it without spoiling it for everyone...already seen before.

Also that Deus Ex Machina device near the end of the film was groan inducing.

Still for what its worth, it was better than episodes I, II and III.

News Comments > New Conan Game Planned
32. Re: Just curious Dec 19, 2015, 09:00 InBlack

Fion wrote on Dec 18, 2015, 14:29:
I doubt this is an MMOG, a single player RPG or 'Rune'-inspired title could be awesome. Say what you will about the MMOG, Funcom did a great job capturing the atmosphere, attitude and lore of Robert E. Howard's original works. Better than the vast majority of games based on classic IP's.

This is true. Age of Conan had so much potential, but they failed to deliver a complete game and this bit them on the ass hard. I stopped playing at around lvl 40ish or so with my main because, it was really hard work trying to find some interesting content in the mid-game part. AoC was one of the last MMOs I tried.

News Comments > Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets
67. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 18, 2015, 05:43 InBlack

Razumen wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 17:14:
Cutter wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 17:05:
Vio wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 16:34:
Sigh, all we wanted was squadron 42 with some freelancer thrown in... but noooo.

According to the fanboys you really didn't. You wanted some MMO/FPS hybrid that ostensibly takes place in space, sorta kinda.

And yet Squadron 42 is still coming, imagine that.

Ive seen more evidence for the second coming of Jesus Christ...

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 18, 2015, 05:33 InBlack

ForgedReality wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 19:51:
"Sometimes the Acura seemed to lock on to the car in front of it, or take cues around a curve from a neighboring car. Hotz hadnít programmed any of these behaviors into the vehicle. He canít really explain all the reasons it does what it does. Itís started making decisions on its own."

Ca-rreeeeeepy!

Wut?

News Comments > Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Date, Specs
15. Re: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Date, Specs Dec 18, 2015, 05:32 InBlack

Looks fairly interesting. Will I like this game even if I could never get into Dark Souls?  

20. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 11:59 InBlack

descender wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 11:50:
... or maybe they just LOD the shit out of that stuff until they optimize it (again, last...). Why on earth do people keep assuming these tech demos directly translate into end game visuals? The sheen and polish and over-detailed scenes are the absolute last thing they will work on.

How many hundreds of miles away from the surface do you need to see tiny rocks on the planet anyway? Expanding on the procedural generation in the future with additional factors (like the tectonics in ED) is also pretty likely.

You are missing the point. A game system does not make a game. It makes a game system. Star Citizen is currently a collection of such systems. Some of them even provide some gameplay. But there is no overarching game plan. It's all oh lets build the next cool thing our backers desire, then lets build something else, then something else etc. ad infinitum. It was a problem apparent right from the start, with their hype building impossible stretch goals and their lack of focus once the next best hype generating system was unveiled.

11. Re: Star Citizen Procedurally Generated Planets Dec 17, 2015, 11:10 InBlack

Maniac wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 11:02:

Still feels good to see Mr.Smart dream being fulfilled

Well a techdemo is not a dream fulfilled. Wake me up when they have something playable. Ill even settle for a simple single player game (without the procedurally generated bullshit) like Squadron42.

News Comments > Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak Next Month
24. Re: Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak Next Month Dec 17, 2015, 09:47 InBlack

This could actually be pretty cool. Then again its Gearbox, but thankfully they had nothing to do with the development of the game.

Oh this is not a successor, spiritual or otherwise, its a prequel. Some of you older codgers may remember the crashed space ship in the desert of the original game?

This game is about the conflict that followed that discovery as the different factions/nations/clans fought for supremacy and the eventual unification of the planet.

The reason why its on a planet and not in space, is because the story is set on a planet and the nations didn't really make much use of space before finding that generation ship.

I may get this game for the story/atmosphere/lore alone. It reminds of Heavy Gear of all things...this is a good thing.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
17. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 16, 2015, 03:03 InBlack

Graham wrote on Dec 15, 2015, 17:21:
Squirmer wrote on Dec 15, 2015, 17:01:
The Bioshock games are complete trash

Christ, gaming hipsters are the very worst.

Fuck you and your adhominem attacks. Bioshock sucked. Sorry. There, am I hipster too for having an opinion different than yours?
It was a consolized piece of trash gameplay garbage, with, lemme see if I remember correctly, terrible FOV, no saves except for checkpoints in the form of 'respawn' tubes or something, horrible weapons, terrible gunplay, etc. etc.

How people could fall for it is beyond me, I guess they must like Ayn Rand or Steampunk a lot cos that game was garbage. Bioshock is popular for the same reason Taylor Swift is. Or Justin Bieber. People prefer style over substance. I literally couldn't get past the first level of the game how much I hated it. Yeah I have specific tastes when it comes to shooters, but for Christ Sake Fallout3 had better gunplay....

*disclaimer* I fell for the whole prerelase hype-train too. I actually believed the screenshots and the whole spiritual successor to System Shock bullshit. Ken Levine is a lying asshole and Im glad he has nothing to do with the System Shock game in development.

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2015, 03:13.

News Comments > DayZ Turns Two; Plans Detailed
13. Re: DayZ Turns Two; Plans Detailed Dec 16, 2015, 02:58 InBlack

I really need to check out ArmaIII. Ive finally got a PC that will be able to run it properly. Is the game any good? How does it compare to the classic, Operation Flashpoint?  

9707 Comments. 486 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo