Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Vanja

Real Name Vanja   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname InBlack
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 27, 2008, 12:06
Total Comments 9707 (Guru)
User ID 46994

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > HTC Vive Preorders Next Month
20. Re: HTC Vive Pricing just announced. Jan 12, 2016, 03:24 InBlack

Cutter wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 02:55:

In all fairness Samsung probably owns the manufacturing for it. Even if they don't they're dealing in the millions of units which is a price break you won't see with any VR stuff regardless of who owns them because we're talking about 1000s of units here.

A friend of mine does a lot of business in China. In fact me and him are planning on opening up a business together, since we are both unhappy with our employers and we might just scrounge up enough money to make use of his contacts in China to make a go of it. I'm not going to go into it too much but suffice to say that for every Samsung screen factory there are five more others just like it (in China) making the same product, on the same production line, for the Chinese domestic market. Think about it for a second, why are companies like Sony and HTC betting so much on VR? The truth is that phone manufacturers (and to a lesser extent monitor manufacturers) have been gouging us for years with their overpriced products. High Res (arguably 1080p but 1440p is getting there this year) screens have been dirt cheap for years, and they are being sold to us at a premium. This is why everyone is betting on VR now. 1440p screens are becoming dirt cheap, the person or company who gets the best tech on the market first, is going to make a killing.

VR is not going to be niche, Facebook, Microsoft, Sony, etc. etc. are investing billions of marketing dollars to make sure of that.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: HTC Vive Preorders Next Month Jan 12, 2016, 02:58 InBlack

Yep, read that quote. Kind of sad. Still hoping they go ahead and make an M10. I think it might be their last phone, and I'm probably going to buy it. I hope it kind of reverses some of their phone troubles, their phones are fucking beasts and Apple can go suck it.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
27. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 12, 2016, 02:47 InBlack

Beamer wrote on Jan 11, 2016, 09:48:
I'd wager that, if you polled most of your friends, less than 5% of their time using their personal (not work) laptops is outside of their homes.

Im gonna go back to this statement from Beamer. As long as this is true, having a laptop for gaming is a bad idea. Not, having a laptop, not gaming, but a combination of those two things. You game on a laptop, fine, great! Good for you. How often do you take it out of the house? (And when it's out of the house, how often do you game on it?) How often does it sit in one spot in your house? Think about these questions and answer them to yourself honestly. For the price of that "gaming" laptop, you can get a destop with twice the power, twice the screen real-estate and a nice comfy chair.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
34. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2016, 02:38 InBlack

quote="Beamer"Jan 11, 2016, 17:44]
DangerDog wrote on Jan 11, 2016, 14:56:
R.I.P.

Another "chemotherapy" victim no doubt.

Yeah holy shit. This is pretty close to "Flat Earth" level of stupidity. Maybe "Hollow Earth" or "Young Earth" level, that fits about right.

16. Re: HTC Vive Preorders Next Month Jan 12, 2016, 02:24 InBlack

DangerDog wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 02:21:
I keep reading that HTC is teetering on financial ruin as their cell phone sales have dried up.

I currently own a HTC M8. Best phone Ive ever had.

15. Re: HTC Vive Pricing just announced. Jan 12, 2016, 02:21 InBlack

NKD wrote on Jan 11, 2016, 23:02:
Fantaz wrote on Jan 11, 2016, 23:00:
hoping it at least costs less than the ridiculously overpriced Oculus

The Rift is already being sold at a loss. There's no way HTC has been able to cut down manufacturing costs for a similar product so drastically that they can sell it even cheaper. I'd be surprised if it was under $550.

And you know this how? The Rift's hardware is basically a small display screen..thats the most expensive part. You are telling me a small 1440p cellphone screen costs more than 600$? Erm, how much is the new 1440p Samsung S6 phone? Yeah Im gonna go ahead and call bullshit on your statement there.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 11, 2016, 12:19 InBlack

600 for the Oculus Rift is too much already. After postage & taxes it will cost as much as 800$ to import it here. For that kind of money I can buy another GTX970 and an awesome 1440p monitor...Goddamn it...Im like the prime consumer for this kind of thing, and I can't afford it.  

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 11, 2016, 10:00 InBlack

Beamer wrote on Jan 11, 2016, 09:48:
...if you polled most of your friends, less than 5% of their time using their personal (not work) laptops is outside of their homes.

You are right on the money with this. You are still wrong that an expensive external GPU is the solution to the problem. The CPU will still be heavily limited by the terrible heat dissipation problems that most laptops have, and you will still have an expensive solution that's not really a solution.

Here is my solution: Don't buy a fucking laptop for gaming.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2016, 09:52 InBlack

Goddamn it! First Lemmy and now Bowie. Cancer fucking sucks.  

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 11, 2016, 09:46 InBlack

Yeah...erm...no. They're not.  

News Comments > Far Cry Primal Gameplay Video
16. Re: Far Cry Primal Gameplay Video Jan 9, 2016, 10:06 InBlack

Cutter wrote on Jan 9, 2016, 00:02:
The only good FC title was Blood Dragon.

That, and the very first one. I liked that one.

News Comments > Half-Life Writer Marc Laidlaw Leaves Valve [Updated]
41. Re: Half-Life Writer Marc Laidlaw Leaves Valve? Jan 8, 2016, 19:24 InBlack

Darks wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 12:57:
thecakeisalie wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 12:30:
I was watching a video on Youtube that talked about HL3 and Valve and because Gabe Newell is rolling in dough from skimming off the top selling other people's content, why take the risk on trying to make HL3 and risking it flopping? They will just string us along counting their money from Steam until everyone that actually wanted HL3 dies off.

No, it's called be a fat lazy fucking asshole who has no drive other than making profit from other people's hard work. The guy has become the next George Lucas, someone who has lost his desire and will to continue on. If he can't find the time or will or desire to complete the Half Life story, then sell it off or have someone else finish it.

But please do not defend this asshole as someone who never intended to finish the HL3 story. That is utter bulshit to say they never intended to make HL3.

Where are you getting this from?

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie Testing This Month
20. Re: EVE: Valkyrie Testing This Month Jan 8, 2016, 08:27 InBlack

saluk wrote on Jan 7, 2016, 23:06:
Vall Forran wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 22:58:
I WANT an arcade-y flight sim like Valkyrie. That's what Freespace 2 was.

You guys are really bitchy about space games you'll never play.

I mean, if there were a campaign like freespace 2 that would be a lot more interesting. As far as I know this is pvp only.

Apparently the game will have some sort of single player introductory missions to familiarize new players. I assume it wont be a full 32 level thing like Freespace or Xwing or whatever but it does made the game a little bit more attractive to those on the fence about VR etc. Here is a quote from an interview with one of the producers:

"Single player" is the wrong term. I'd say it's an offline new-player experience. A lot of games that are predominately online -- and Blizzard especially has a very good way of easing people in -- have players against AI instead of getting chucked into live PvP. I want people to have the best possible introduction to the game and the universe. Some people have talked about the single player because that's what brings you into the fiction and the controls so that you're ready for multiplayer.

News Comments > EVE: Valkyrie Testing This Month
14. Re: EVE: Valkyrie Testing This Month Jan 7, 2016, 06:11 InBlack

DangerDog wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 21:11:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iM31NDkbM8

The VR look seems to control the direction your ship is heading.

yeah, scratched this one off my list as well.

Did you even watch the video? This is completely wrong, and they even comment on it halfway through the video. Controls were standard gamepads, you 'look' around the cockpit using the Rift and additionally it can be used to lock on certain weapons, just like HMDs in are used today in certain military aircraft that have that capability.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
16. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 5, 2016, 03:44 InBlack

Jerykk wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 23:12:
The U.S. has been spying on its citizens since the 50's. It's nothing new and for 99.99999% of the population, it has no impact on their life whatsoever. Opponents of surveillance believe that governments are inherently corrupt and that they will inevitably use any information they gather to either exploit or persecute you. I don't believe that to be true. Totalitarian governments use surveillance to help suppress opposition but they'd be suppressing opposition even if surveillance didn't exist.

Surveillance is inherently neutral. It doesn't turn a democratic nation into a totalitarian one. If it did, the U.S. would have become a totalitarian nation a long time ago (and please don't claim that the U.S. is already totalitarian; if that were true, you'd already be dead or in prison because of your publicly-expressed beliefs).

Governments don't need to be totalitarian in the classic sense of the word for them to be inherently opposed to the good being and welfare of the vast majority of its peoples. Read "Democracy Inc." for an explanation of how these openly democratic states exist today, and the culture that allows them to exist and defend special interest groups at the expense of the majority.

In many ways totalitarian rule is much less dangerous, at least you can point it out, oppose it, and fight it directly. This sentence at least gives me comfort that the next generation might finally get rid of the warmongers and fear pushers:

Out of all the survey respondents under 30, only a third supported the idea of warrantless Internet surveillance. In contrast, two-thirds of Americans over the age of 30 supported the idea.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday
39. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday Jan 5, 2016, 03:23 InBlack

DangerDog wrote on Jan 5, 2016, 02:18:
Way to crush our dreams there Scheherazade.

what's left, roller coaster simulation software?

What he failed to mention is that DCS still looks fucking awesome with the Rift DK2, HUD problems or no. It's still very usable and I for one spend most of my time zoomed in the HUD when I need to use it anyway. (Big DCS player here). Ive only tried it once, and was immensely impressed. Will probably have to think about getting the CV1 though, I spend about 60% of my gaming time with DCS alone, but don't want to upgrade my PC all over again if it turns out that the GTX970 is simply not powerful enough...

News Comments > Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday
38. Re: Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday Jan 5, 2016, 03:13 InBlack

HoSpanky wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 17:48:
I built a machine that's designed to run the goddamn thing, with a pair of 970s (Nvidia VR drivers supposedly already divides workload for each eye to each card).

I don't think this is true. Im actually reasonably certain that it's an urban myth that has some basis in reality, Nvidia is working on something like this but its not out yet.

*correction*

Apparently the driver extensions exist and have been released with the last Nvidia drivers. However AFAIK this is only for the OpenGL API (no ETA on when this will be implemented in DirectX) and application developers still have to patch this functionality into their software.

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2016, 07:04.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored
19. Re: Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored Jan 5, 2016, 02:42 InBlack

Kxmode wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 19:38:
NKD wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 19:23:
Zanthar wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 18:58:
They should have the game set in the Ubisoft HQ building so we can stab the bastards that put this shit out every year.

Why do you care? If it's not your thing, then you aren't buying it, and it shouldn't really affect you.

Agreed. Some people suffer from chronic bitching.

Other people can't appreciate good old fashioned cynicism even when it bites them in the ass.

News Comments > Op Ed
23. Re: Op Ed Dec 31, 2015, 05:12 InBlack

Soldiers live and wonder why...  

News Comments > Steam Christmas Issues Explained
10. Re: Steam Christmas Issues Explained Dec 31, 2015, 05:03 InBlack

Ho ho ho!  

9707 Comments. 486 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo