Total Posts
787 (Graduate)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

787 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 13.
Newer [  1    8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23    40  ] Older

Re: Lost
May 24, 2007, 14:31
JM
Re: Lost May 24, 2007, 14:31
May 24, 2007, 14:31
JM

I'm still wondering exactly what the writers are smoking, and I think they're going to wind up convienently "forgetting" huge threads before the end

I think that's what keeps me glued to the show. I have faith they're actually going to somehow tie everything together in a satisfying way and leave few, if any, loose ends. However, if they cop out as you suggest and take the easy way out I will be pretty pissed off after investing so much time with the show.

Re: No subject
May 24, 2007, 14:23
JM
Re: No subject May 24, 2007, 14:23
May 24, 2007, 14:23
JM

... hated the way they ended Heroes

Agreed. Although I do like the show, Heroes kinda left me with a "meh" feeling.

May 24, 2007, 13:11
JM
Re: Lost May 24, 2007, 13:11
May 24, 2007, 13:11
JM

Not "shocked" but still thought it was an excellent setup for season 4 which is going to be an awfully long wait.

SST: It wasn't obvious to me from the beginning that the flashbacks were in fact flashforwards. I thought we were looking back into Jack's life post-divorce/father's death and he was basically falling apart from that. As soon as we learned what was really going on, while not neccesarily knocking me out of my seat, I thought it was definitely a cool new direction for the show as it totally reverses all preconceived notions of good and bad on the island.

Sorry to disagree with your girlfriend, bats, but I thought that was a near perfect season finale.

This comment was edited on May 24, 13:27.

Re: Marijuana
May 16, 2007, 12:46
JM
Re: Marijuana May 16, 2007, 12:46
May 16, 2007, 12:46
JM

he fetched a 12inch carving knife from the kitchen, slit both his wrists and attempted to stab himself through the chest.

I hate it when that happens! Why, just last week I smoked a joint and gouged both of my eyes out with a spoon. This kind of thing happens all the time! Evil, evil weed!

May 10, 2007, 14:15
JM
Re: Lost May 10, 2007, 14:15
May 10, 2007, 14:15
JM

I agree it was a decent episode but I have a question -

Lost SST: What was the significance of the dirt/powder that John was examining along the way to Jacobs house? I felt like maybe I wasn't paying attention and missed something significant.

May 4, 2007, 12:57
JM
Re: No subject May 4, 2007, 12:57
May 4, 2007, 12:57
JM

Sitting in the sun, smoking a bowl and listening to some tunes (primarily Tool) is one of my lifes greater pleasures.

And the just-say-no crowd hates you for that! Low-life scum!!!

Now excuse me while I run out to the store and pick up a pack of cigarettes and a pint of Jack Daniels.

This comment was edited on May 4, 13:49.

May 1, 2007, 16:05
JM
Re: No subject May 1, 2007, 16:05
May 1, 2007, 16:05
JM

I know many recreational users that are great individuals and contributing members of society - but that doesn't mean I hang out with them, etc.

And you claim you are not judging anyone?

May 1, 2007, 16:03
JM
Re: No subject May 1, 2007, 16:03
May 1, 2007, 16:03
JM

And the potheads come out of the woodwork....

Only to counter the arguments of the misinformed, brainwashed, just-say-no, anti-potheads.

SF Chronicle Zings Jack Thompson
Apr 24, 2007, 15:15
JM
SF Chronicle Zings Jack Thompson Apr 24, 2007, 15:15
Apr 24, 2007, 15:15
JM

There are real video game issues that need to be discussed intelligently [but] using Thompson as a mouthpiece is like starting a marijuana discussion by screening “Reefer Madness.”

I like this reporter!

Re: LCD Monitors
Mar 19, 2007, 12:21
JM
Re: LCD Monitors Mar 19, 2007, 12:21
Mar 19, 2007, 12:21
JM

I just got this one for a little over $600 and am blown away by its quality. Not a bad price when you consider what a similar offering from Apple costs.

http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/review4337_main21693.html

Feb 28, 2007, 12:56
JM
Re: No subject Feb 28, 2007, 12:56
Feb 28, 2007, 12:56
JM

son (just turned 4) has his first T-ball practice tonight. I never played baseball (other than gym class in school), but look forward to seeing if he enjoys it. Should be fun to watch the hilarity ensue with a field full of 4-5 year olds....

When our oldest son was in T-ball we fondly referred to it as "magnet ball" - one kid hits the ball, nine others all run after it!

Be sure to bring your camcorder.

Re: what is a twist?
Feb 28, 2007, 11:13
JM
Re: what is a twist? Feb 28, 2007, 11:13
Feb 28, 2007, 11:13
JM

"I hate Blue's News... every day I come here and..."

Re: Nintendo profits.
Jan 25, 2007, 14:09
JM
Re: Nintendo profits. Jan 25, 2007, 14:09
Jan 25, 2007, 14:09
JM

I think the average PC gamer's dislike of the Halo series has more to do with wanting to appear superior to a wildly popular console game, and still feeling burned over Halo going to consoles, than the Halo series actually being bad.

No, PC gamer's dislike of the Halo series comes from the PC gamers's experience with the vastly superior FPS experience to be had on the PC. Halo was only big with the console kiddies who didn't know any better.

Re: re: Hold your wee for a wii
Jan 15, 2007, 14:42
JM
Re: re: Hold your wee for a wii Jan 15, 2007, 14:42
Jan 15, 2007, 14:42
JM

The family of the woman should sue Nintendo. After all, if they hadn't changed the name from the Revolution to the Wii, none of this would ever had happened.

Jan 12, 2007, 17:14
JM
Re: No subject Jan 12, 2007, 17:14
Jan 12, 2007, 17:14
JM

Then what is the problem? You have what you asked for.

Not yet. There is still the issue of aquiring it. The laws may have improved for casual use but you definitely don't want to get caught selling/growing it. Which raises the question, how does one get it and not worry about the law? So until that day comes when I can grow and consume it all within the privacy of my home, then there's still more that needs to be done.

Headed home as well here. Thanks for the talk and enjoy your weekend.

This comment was edited on Jan 12, 17:15.

Jan 12, 2007, 16:07
JM
Re: No subject Jan 12, 2007, 16:07
Jan 12, 2007, 16:07
JM

I am not sure I follow.
If we put it to a vote, and the majority wins, isn't that what is supposed to happen?

Well, what I'm really looking for is why you, or anyone else for that matter, don't have a problem with alcohol being legal especially when you go on to list all of the bad things that drugs (alcohol included) do to people. Another problem with putting it to a vote is that currently the majority of voters (who are not always right) have been subject to years of misinformation about the effects of marijuana. I'm trying to undo some of that misinformation.

Prohibition didn't work for alcohol because it was already an accepted norm to consume alcohol.

It was more than that. It was widely recognized as the number one factor leading to organized crime. Make something illegal that enough people want and the crime will follow.

It isn't an accepted norm to smoke weed anywhere

Who get's to decide what is "normal"? For that matter, why do I need anyone's acceptance for what I choose to do in the privacy of my own home and affecting no one else?

Look, I don't belive in smoking ANYTHING. Just being in a bar (thank god they banned smoking in bars/restaurants where I live) for supper and going home, I wake up hacking just from second hand smoke. (thinking of it, do you smoke it or eat it?)

I don't enjoy being around cigarette smokers either and applaud their ban in public places such as restaurants. The key point being that a certain amount of regulation is fine especially in cases where you are affecting others with your actions. If I choose to smoke, it is always away from others.

I have seen the effects of every drug (legal and illegal) on my family and I see it every week on the street.
I have seen people that can't talk/walk because they huff paint/glue.
I have seen people that are yellow like an alien from ruining their liver.
I have seen someone that fried their brain after using coke 1x.
I see the effects of Meth on 2 of the nicest kids on this earth because my sister is an addict and we had the state remove her parental privlages. (I am not a big believer in addiction, I think it is a blanket to cover up something else - but anyway).
I have seen the effects of someone drown their own baby because of "mind altering substances".
I watch movies that make fun of people that use weed on a regular basis and I can point to a large portion of the 450 kids I graduated with and say "it isn't as funny as they are making it out to be".

I've seen what happens as well when people over-indulge but not just with drugs. We can both agree that you can eat your way into an early grave if you eat "bad" foods and don't exercise. But these are life-style choices and no one should get to tell anyone else what they can and can't do with their own lives. Pursuit of happiness and all that - just don't hurt/victimize others while you pursue it. For the people who do overdo it and can't control themselves, are we better off helping them overcome their addictions or putting them in prison?

The point is - it is bad shit. All of it is.

That is too much of a blanket statement. Just because all of these substances fall under the drug umbrella does not mean they are all equal in terms of good and bad. That is too simplistic. Marijuana does not deserve to be lumped in with heroin, for example. Both are drugs, true. But they are worlds apart in their potential to destroy lives. Let's treat each case separately.

We can argue until we no longer have any breath of life left in us. It won't really matter.

Perhaps between you and me it won't matter, but it is through open discussion and the exchange of ideas that changes are made. If enough people hear the message and agree then change can come about. I'm just trying to do my (admittedly small) part.

I don't drink and drive, and I don't do drugs.

I'm sorry, but if you drink, then you do drugs. And, you're doing it for the exact same reasons anyone else does their particular drug of choice: you enjoy it. Just like you don't drink and drive, I do what I do in the privacy of my own home.

You want something legal. Put it to a vote, or join an organization that can lobby for you.

I try to do my part by talking about it and exposing what I believe to be popular fallacies. Many who oppose legalization do so due to years of misinformation. I'm just try to add a little truth to the mix.

Do I think alcohol should be illegal? Nope.

There's that question I'd like answered again!

I don't need alcohol, I enjoy it.

For the record, I don't need marijuana. I just don't feel I should be regarded as a criminal if I want to enjoy it just as you enjoy your drink.

I applaud you guys on your passion for the weed... but I have heard these arguments and questions before

Unfortunately, I rarely hear detailed answers to very specific questions. Not singling you out, this seems to be the case with just about everyone I encounter. They just know that marijuana is bad and should be illegal but are unable to express exactly why. I'm sorry, but "drugs are bad" just doesn't cut it for me. Lots of things are bad, moreso than marijuana, yet they are not illegal? Again, why?

The law has pretty much decriminlaized small amounts of marijuana, so I don't know why people are all in a tiff. I have stated many times, if it isn't used in the comission of a crime, isn't packed for sale/distribution, etc., it is usually destroyed and nothing more is said. But if someone is driving a vehicle and the smell of marijuana is in the car, I expect them to be charged the same way as a person who is under the influence of alcohol.

Laws have improved but I think most who support legalization want nothing less than the right to live their own lives the way they see fit so long as they are not hurting others. That's really what this all boils down to.

Whew! Man this is a lot of work!

Jan 12, 2007, 14:17
JM
Re: No subject Jan 12, 2007, 14:17
Jan 12, 2007, 14:17
JM

Put it to vote.

That's not answering the question.

Jan 12, 2007, 12:59
JM
Re: No subject Jan 12, 2007, 12:59
Jan 12, 2007, 12:59
JM

I feel it is illegal for good reason, and I support the fact it is illegal. If drinking alcohol was illegal, I wouldn't drink.

If I could have only one question be answered in all of this, it would be this one:

If marijuana is illegal for a good reason, why shouldn't alcohol be illegal as well?

This comment was edited on Jan 12, 13:00.

Jan 12, 2007, 11:12
JM
Re: No subject Jan 12, 2007, 11:12
Jan 12, 2007, 11:12
JM

That is unfortunate - as I was going to compliment you in a personal way that I enjoy our discussions without the asshats that get involved. Oh well.

Well, thank you. I am appreciative as well to be able to have a civil discussion without out the situation degrading to personal attacks as others tend to do.

Like I said, it's not a personal issue (you seem like a nice enough person), but unfortunately I must maintain a somewhat paranoid stance given the current state of things. It is the fear of persecution that drives me in my quest to try to get others to see as I do. If we ever met I think, personal beliefs aside, you'd find me to be a fairly decent fellow.

Jan 12, 2007, 09:47
JM
Re: No subject Jan 12, 2007, 09:47
Jan 12, 2007, 09:47
JM

This might get a bit long so my apologies to those who are uninterested. Move along, nothing to see here!

Nope - alcohol is not illegal unless you are drinking and driving, under the age of 18, drunk in public (in some cities), give some to a minor, etc.

Once again the question is, why is alcohol OK/legal and marijuana is bad/illegal? You seem to be saying alcohol is OK because it is legal. So why doesn't marijuana deserve the same status. Take the following sentences:

"I enjoy using alcohol because it makes me feel good. It can alter my perceptions and ability to do some tasks effectively such as driving so I will limit when and where I use it and there should be laws explicity explaining under what circumstances its use should be prohibited and who should be allowed access (i.e. no one under 21). I understand that using alcohol may not be healthy for me but it is a personal choice and so long as I do no harm to others I should be free to indulge."

Now replace every instance of "alcohol" in the above sentences with "marijuana". Are any of these statements less valid?

When they make it legal to smoke, I still won't smoke it.

Of course you won't. It's your personal choice and you are entitled to it. I would like to have that choice as well and not have it made for me.

The point is, it isn't "as harmless" as you guys always say it is. Period.

Make alcohol, cigarettes, fatty foods, skydiving, etc, illegal and I will drop the argument.

If the common dope smoker wouldn't commit other crimes (or be involved in other drugs), I would be fine with it.

I don't believe the "common" dope smoker is commiting crimes beyond posession of a controlled substance. Show me statistics that prove otherwise. I've know many users of marijuana over the years and the vast majority of them were not criminals and lived healthy, happy, productive lives.

I also have a brother who is heavy into weed and has been his whole life.

And I'm sure that has a lot to do with your negative attitude towards the subject. I understand that. My wife's father was a miserable alcoholic so you can imagine that she doesn't have the greatest attitude towards drinking.

Are you telling me these people are just fuckups and it just HAPPENS to be that they also smoke dope? Yeah right.

Not knowing any of the individuals you're speaking of, I can not say. By I know well enough from my own experience that there is not neccessarily a corelation between marijuana use and someone being a "fuckup". As previously stated, I've known many responsible, well-adjusted individuals who have used marijuana. It all boils down to the individual.

Your argument of alcohol vs weed is ridiculous. It is like talking about your fav sports team against the Bulls, Celtics, Packers, Patriots, etc. The arguments always end up, "Yeah, well your team hasn't won as many championships as my team X". It is tired, and it has no basis what so ever.

Well, I don't really get the sports analogy but I strongly disagree with your assertion that comparing weed to alcohol is ridiculous. They are both drugs. They both alter your capabilities. They both have health risks. The only differences that I see is that one is legal and the other is not, and, the one that is legal is much more dangerous. All you have to do is google "alcohol related deaths" to get some statistics on the matter. To argue that marijuana is worse than alcohol is to ignore the facts.

Is alcohol bad? Yes.
Is sugar bad? Yes.
Is having unprotected sex bad? Yes.
Is everyone in this country allowed to procreate? Yes.

Fortunatley (well, not the last one), the 4 above are legal. Weed is not.
Drugs are not.

End of argument.

And unfortunately, this is where I am convinced that no amount of discussion will ever sway your feelings. In that one paragraph of yours you illustrate with great clarity the double-standard that exists. Alcohol is bad. Alcohol is a drug. Yet it is legal and accepted by society even though it is proven worse than marijuana. The fact that you don't recognize the double-standard is what tells me I'll never convince you otherwise.

See the thing about it, is usually we can have a great discussion, but then asshats like you get involved. Love it.

I'm hoping you were talking about another poster (I think that you were) but I am always willing to have an intelligent discussion on the subject.

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/910849.html
"Road Toll is Lowest since 1945"

Same can't be said about smoking over the counter cigs

The article states:
"A crackdown on drunken drivers, increased citations and an early response to accidents have led to the fewest Minnesotans dying on state roadways since World War II, experts say. In 2006, 475 people were killed, the lowest number of traffic fatalities since 449 people died in 1945".

So it sounds to me like at least 400 people die every year in Minnesota (what are the national numbers?) from drunk driving. Are you saying that there are more fatalities due to marijuana use? I really need to see some sources before I'm ready to believe that.

/edit - OK, just re-read your previous statement and saw you were comparing drunk-driving deaths to cigarette deaths. I'm not sure how this applies to the discussion of marijuana but suffice it to say, yes, cigarettes cause many, many deaths. Yet, like alcohol, it is legal. Marijuana, much safer than either of the two, is not. Why???

should we legalize dope and outlaw alcohol and nicotine?

There are just as many, in fact more, reasons to outlaw alcohol and cigarettes. Until we do, marijuana should not be illegal.

pop me an e-mai if you don't mind.

Nothing personal, batman, but given our opposing views on the subject I would prefer to keep the discussion in a public forum. After all, my goal is to share my viewpoints with others who oppose legalization. If you do not wish to continue discussion of the matter that is fine. I do understand that your particular profession probably puts you in an awkward position to discuss the matter publically and I can respect that.

Zathrus -

Prohibition creates the crime. Period.

Which is why we have no problems at all with alcohol now that it isn't prohibited, right?

Never made that claim. However, history has proven that prohibition creates more problems. It is far from any kind of a solution.

Again, sorry for the long rant everybody!

This comment was edited on Jan 12, 11:04.
787 Comments. 40 pages. Viewing page 13.
Newer [  1    8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23    40  ] Older