Descending
Limit Results:

79 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Sony will pull a Sega.
Jan 22, 2009, 17:23
Sony will pull a Sega. Jan 22, 2009, 17:23
Jan 22, 2009, 17:23

PlayStation 3 is Sony's Saturn: more difficult to program for and more expensive than the competition with the bulk of third party support consisting of ports. In Sega's defense, Saturn had much better first party support than PlayStation 3, but the parallels are still there.

Now that Sony's gaming department is hemorrhaging money to an even greater extent than Sega was at their worst, I would be shocked if PlayStation 3 isn't their last system. Why continue to lose money on systems when you can make money on games? This is the question Sega asked themselves and they are alive today because they made the smart choice.

Unfortunately, this is going to lead to another Microsoft monopoly. Nintendo isn't interested in competing on graphics so Microsoft is going to be alone in the high end market when Sony goes third party.

Here's what happened to WoW.
Jan 22, 2009, 14:09
Here's what happened to WoW. Jan 22, 2009, 14:09
Jan 22, 2009, 14:09

It feels like Blizzard handed WotLK to their second stringers while the real talent - the starters - toiled away on their "next gen MMO". A couple months in beta was enough to convince me not to buy it. It's a jumbled mess of confused design decision, derivative content, and horrible class balance. I wanted badly to like it since WoW is the only game in town, but I couldn't convince myself that it was anything other than a disappointment.

I hope Bioware is watching Blizzard very closely. When I hear them call The Old Republic a "story-driven" MMO, I get a little worried. Bioware is like that goth girl who sat by herself at lunch and convinced herself that her awful poetry was brilliant. They're enamored with their 'epic' storylines, but their dialog makes me cringe. I don't want the gameplay suffer because their writers have ego problems.

Re: The Future of Team Fortress 2
Jan 20, 2009, 20:56
Re: The Future of Team Fortress 2 Jan 20, 2009, 20:56
Jan 20, 2009, 20:56

TF2 has much more staying power than Left 4 Dead (Versus mode). I hope they release the class updates at a faster pace now that they're not burdened by that game anymore.

Pointless pontification?
Jan 17, 2009, 14:38
Pointless pontification? Jan 17, 2009, 14:38
Jan 17, 2009, 14:38

Remember when video game journalists used to review video games instead of trying to be industry analysts? Yeah, me too.

Street Fighter 4
Jan 16, 2009, 19:43
Street Fighter 4 Jan 16, 2009, 19:43
Jan 16, 2009, 19:43

SF4 isn't "accessible" at all. It's actually more complicated than SSF2T because now you have 2 super meters to keep track of. Capcom has been pushing this idea of "accessibility" to get people to forget about SF3, which was an overcomplicated, unbalanced mess of a game, and to nostalgically remember the game they played as a kid: SF2. I've played SF4 and it's no SF2.

Re: DOOM 4 Writer Revealed
Jan 15, 2009, 23:56
Re: DOOM 4 Writer Revealed Jan 15, 2009, 23:56
Jan 15, 2009, 23:56

"Granted the original did have some larger open areas with hordes of beasts..."

The problem is that was the best part of Doom and it was completely left out of Doom 3. Even though the monsters weren't randomly generated, there was so many of them that it felt random when hordes of them came together and started attacking you. As far as combat is concerned ('frantic action feeling', as Croteam put it), games like Serious Sam, Painkiller, Halo and Left 4 Dead have more in common with Doom than Doom 3 does so id would be wise to study those games and use the paper they print their storylines on as toilet paper.

Re: DOOM 4 Writer Revealed
Jan 15, 2009, 15:11
Re: DOOM 4 Writer Revealed Jan 15, 2009, 15:11
Jan 15, 2009, 15:11

Forget the storyline and go back to what made Doom great: killing tons of monsters. id should be looking to Serious Sam and Left 4 Dead for inspiration. They also put aside their egos and look at Doom 3 as a mistake that should never be repeated.

Re: Steam Updates
Jan 14, 2009, 21:26
Re: Steam Updates Jan 14, 2009, 21:26
Jan 14, 2009, 21:26

TF2's server browser is atrocious, but I don't necessarily blame Valve. They tried to relegate custom servers to a separate tab and admins ended up cheating their custom servers back into the main tab with plug-ins. At this point it's almost impossible to find a truly pure server. Most 'pure' servers run with increased_maxplayers and stat tracking at minimum. I've even seen servers marked 'pure' that had crits disabled. It's a mess and is the main reason I rarely boot the game up anymore.

Re: Morning Consolidation
Jan 14, 2009, 21:20
Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 14, 2009, 21:20
Jan 14, 2009, 21:20

I don't think people are choosing SD sets over HD sets. I think they're simply making due with what they already have.

Jan 14, 2009, 18:53
Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 14, 2009, 18:53
Jan 14, 2009, 18:53

"Sure it did. The PS2."

PS2 came out 3 years after DVD was introduced.The post I responded to was comparing market saturation at the 3 year mark.

"Who is still buying SD sets at this point?"

People are keeping their old TVs because they still work. if the government wasn't cramming it down our collective throat, it probably would have ended up becoming an alternative format for enthusiasts.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2009, 19:18.

Jan 14, 2009, 14:55
Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 14, 2009, 14:55
Jan 14, 2009, 14:55

How many of those blu-ray players are PlayStation 3 consoles that are used primarily for playing games? DVD didn't have the luxury of piggy-backing into the industry on a popular gaming device.

The chasm between VHS and DVD was huge. They were 2 completely different formats. In comparison, blu-ray is just a DVD with more storage space and blu-ray players are backwards compatible with DVDs. Those numbers are pretty lackluster when you take all of that into consideration.

Re: Left 4 Dead Patch This Week
Jan 13, 2009, 18:00
Re: Left 4 Dead Patch This Week Jan 13, 2009, 18:00
Jan 13, 2009, 18:00

"Yes. It was a little subtle so I'm sure many didn't notice it consciously. The other players would move in a stuttered/jerky movement. (TF2)"

That's a server-side problem. It's not inherent in the netcode.

Re: Sunday Screenshots
Jan 11, 2009, 21:54
Re: Sunday Screenshots Jan 11, 2009, 21:54
Jan 11, 2009, 21:54

They probably use the same graphics engine and shared artists.

Re: The future of the industry.
Jan 11, 2009, 19:36
Re: The future of the industry. Jan 11, 2009, 19:36
Jan 11, 2009, 19:36

"...and you know this how, exactly?"

The creator of the game checks the Xbox Live leaderboard to see how many copies have sold since you are automatically put into the leaderboard when you buy the game. A week after release, he said 55,000 copies were sold based on the number of entries. When I checked in September, that number was at 150,000. Since the game sells for about $15 in Microsoft points, that's about $2,250,000. I decided to check again just before posting this, and that number has jumped to 211,749 or $3,176,235. I'm sure Microsoft takes a hefty cut, but that's still a very impressive showing for an indie game with no budget to speak of.

Capcom's last Mega Man game also sold well. It's obviously not an indie game, but it runs on an emulated NES engine so it's in the same spirit as games like Braid or Cave Story. Capcom also did a remake of Super Street Fighter 2: Turbo with high definition sprites and it has been the best-selling game on XBLA since it came out in late November. They're definitely ahead of the curve as far as mainstream publishers are concerned.

People are starving for cheap side-scrolling games with clean 2D graphics and retro gameplay. The key word being 'cheap'. A $15 or $20 game is an impulse purchase. $60 games are only going to be less attractive as the dollar plummets. History has shown that entertainment sells during times of economic hardship, but you aren't going to sell anything if you don't price it right.

The future of the industry.
Jan 10, 2009, 19:25
The future of the industry. Jan 10, 2009, 19:25
Jan 10, 2009, 19:25

Here's where I see the industry heading during and after the recession.

PS3 will be Sony's last console. They'll pull a Sega and become a third party publisher.

Microsoft and Nintendo will continue making consoles for different demographics.

Indie developers who can do more with less will thrive. Braid has pulled in over 2 million dollars so far - not bad for a game that was put together as a hobby and sells for $20. There is a large enough market for cheap side-scrolling 2D games with pretty graphics and retro gameplay to sustain a number of indie developers.

Big name publishers and developers will consolidate to the point where it'll be Nintendo, Blizzard and Microsoft (who will probably end up buying Valve) and everyone else. Everyone else will be competing for an ever-smaller piece of the pie. Everyone else will either learn to make games cheaply and efficiently or they will go belly-up. The era of the multi-multi-million dollar game is over.

Outsourcing content and even creating development studios in places like China, Korea and India is also going to be the next big thing. Why pay an American a living wage when you can get a foreigner to do it for pennies on the dollar?

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 2009, 19:32.

Re: On Mass Effect 2
Jan 8, 2009, 17:53
Re: On Mass Effect 2 Jan 8, 2009, 17:53
Jan 8, 2009, 17:53

"You can't blame the suits or politicians for that. You need to blame the people that let them do it. And for that, all most people need is to look in the mirror."

You can't control when you're born, and if you're 35 or younger you were born into a country with no manufacturing base. The few items that are still made in this country are generally made in factories that employ illegal immigrants. The ball is out of the consumer's court at this point. You can take smell steps to self sufficiency, like growing or hunting your own food, but unless you're willing to live in a log cabin on top of a mountain and wear bearskin loin cloths, you are going to be part of the capitalist gang bang whether you like it or not. If you're as unlucky as Randy Weaver, they'll bend you over anyway.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2009, 17:59.

Re: On Mass Effect 2
Jan 8, 2009, 16:43
Re: On Mass Effect 2 Jan 8, 2009, 16:43
Jan 8, 2009, 16:43

Lets take a look at some of the tired corporate buzzwords and catchphrases in this article.

Iterative Level Design Process, maximizing iteration: In other words, Repetitive Level Design Process, maximizing repetition. Pad out your 10-hour game with as many recycled ideas as possible to minimize development costs.

Scrum, Lean Development: Reptitive Development. Suck all of the creativity out of game creation and turn it into an assembly line that churns out derivative content for the lowest possible cost.

In addition, expect more publishers to use cheap outsourced content in their games and/or set up development sweat shops in countries like China and Korea like American McGee. This is yet another industry that will be taken out of this country by the suits because American workers have the gaul to demand a living wage and humane working conditions.

Heed the mummy's message.
Jan 17, 2008, 15:56
Heed the mummy's message. Jan 17, 2008, 15:56
Jan 17, 2008, 15:56

A lot of people in this thread know more about aspect ratios than they do about the town, county, state and country in which they live. While they're keeping up with the latest gadgets that make mindlessly whilin' away the hours more technologically sophisticated, life is passing them by. As they fret about how much screen area they might be gaining or missing, important things are happening that are completely beyond their scope of understanding.

Still, I enjoy playing video games.

What an awful habit. It's like smoking - an unhealthy waste of time. This obsession over the minutia of the digital toy industry is as destructive as any drug. You see the symptoms in every gaming forum. Bizarre obsessions with digital playthings and their related hardware. Elitism based entirely on monitor size, type, brand as well as choice of mouse or controller, mass marketed collection of pre-constructed standardized hardware (console) or mass market collection of modular standardized hardware (PC). I can see 30% more screen than you and I play with a superior peripheral!

We'd all be better off learning how to grow our own food. We need to work with our hands. Maybe build a small house out in the country. It's quiet out there and you can be self sufficient if you aren't afraid of work. A body that is well worked houses a peaceful mind.

Where is your computer? By your balls? Ever consider what all that radiation is doing to them? How is your eyesight? Do you sit too close to your monitor? How is your posture from years of hunching over to type your opinions about Bose speakers, Ford motor cars, the downfall of Metallica and StarCraft build orders or arguing with people you'll never meet on one of thousands of internet forums?

A widescreen monitor must be nice, but does it fullfill a spiritual need? Maybe the gaps that all of these bobbles and trinkets fill helps us forget about things we'd rather not think about. In that case, the extra screen area fills a vacant spiritual spot, but will it ever amount to anything other than wasted time?

(c)Rapture
Jan 8, 2008, 20:25
(c)Rapture Jan 8, 2008, 20:25
Jan 8, 2008, 20:25

Bioshock is devoid of difficulty. You can sleepwalk through the game because of the instant respawn points. It's like playing an old arcade game with unlimited credits. I understand that Ghouls 'n Ghosts or R-Type level difficulty would turn off too many casual gamers at a time when video games are more mainstream than ever, but Bioshock is Night Trap with better acting. I felt like I was lazily guiding my character through a movie rather than playing a game.

I have to say that the plot felt a little ridiculous to me. Here I was playing a $60 game on a $400 Microsoft system that was preaching to me about the evils of unchecked free market capitalism. The script writers should be proud of me since I pirated the game and played it on a used Xbox 360 that I paid less than $100 for. As an added bonus, I've never read an Ayn Rand book. I'm practically Atlas!

I'll give them credit for not putting an embarrassingly hamfisted sex scene into their game like Bioware did with Mass Effect. It's one thing to be a hypocrite but something else entirely to be an emotionally stunted, most likely heavily bearded manchild who thinks that putting polygonal sex in a digital toy is anything other than creepy. At least Night Trap used real girls.

I miss the days when video games were innocent toys for children that adults could also enjoy. Punishing you for playing badly used to be a video game staple, but now you're not even given a stearn talking to. Rather than video games themselves, maybe it's this lack of consequence and accountability that is contributing to all of these modern school shootings. My generation didn't do that because we knew that all it took was one hit to send us back to the beginning.
This comment was edited on Jan 8, 20:35.
79 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older