Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 728 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Obsidian: Pillars of Eternity III Uncertain, Would Require Changes

17. Re: Obsidian: Pillars of Eternity III Uncertain, Would Require Changes Nov 11, 2019, 20:45 peteham

I enjoyed the first game with expansions. The second game not so much. The first had the advantage of being the first serious new entry of its kind in a very, very long time, I guess.

Can't really put my finger on any specific thing that made me not like the sequel. With either game, I never really cared much about the story and never found the drive to explore or discover stuff about the world. Page upon page of text and I didn't really give a crap about any of it. Care about party members? Not really. Give a damn about factions? Nope. The ship? Bleh.

Replayed PS:T a few months back, and what a difference. Story, setting and writing that just instantly grabs you, from the second you wake up in the mortuary. Almost every location manages to be memorable. I can hardly remember a single location from PoE2. Just an endless assortment of islands.

Also never been a fan of RtwP. Hated it in Baldur's Gate too. Turn based is so, so much better when done properly.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA Steam Return Hint

11. Re: EA Steam Return Hint Oct 26, 2019, 16:17 peteham

Wasn't the main [stated, at least] reason they pulled out back in the day the inability to sell DLC directly, rather than going via Steam and give Valve a cut? Did something change in that regard lately?  

News Comments > Steam Top 10

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 16, 2019, 12:24 peteham

Beamer wrote on Sep 16, 2019, 10:40:
Peteham made it sound terrible. You made it sound hysterical.
I'm right, of course

Seriously though, I guess YMMV, as always.

Personally, I don't enjoy it at all and would much rather shoot, chainsaw and stab things than bob around and be an ammo donkey and buffbot for my friends. Other than that, you get to zap things for... some... effect.. But it's a close proximity auto-aim/just-hold-LMB thing that requires zero aim or skill and isn't even remotely fun to use. At no point do you feel like you're contributing as much to the combat action as the real players. Scripted set pieces where the droid has to push a button to lower a bridge etc. doesn't really count. And it has that added bit of suck because you know your friends are having a lot more fun than you are.

On the ability tree side, you can equip two abilities at once, allowing you to do stuff like stimming your friends, pulse to highlight enemies and so on. These skills are on a cooldown of approx 60 seconds.

There may be more interesting unlocks later on, but for at least the first two chapters, which is what I've seen of the game so far, it's seriously bland.

Speaking of skill tree unlocks, to actually get them you need to be actively looking for components (basically collectibles). Not sure if the total component pickups exceeds what you need to max the skill tree before the end, but based on the initial supply I'm guessing you have to actually find them all - something nobody's going to do on a first (and for most; only) playthrough.

Kinda hoping the bot blows up and you get to play three gears for the remaining chapters or something but I'm fairly certain the bot is there to stay for the reasons stated when Gears 4 didn't have more than two player co-op (more actual players requiring too many cover spots and so on).

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2019, 12:36.

News Comments > Steam Top 10

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 16, 2019, 09:58 peteham

Word of warning to potential Gears 5 co-op players: It says 3 player campaign co-op on the box, but the last guy actually has to play the bot, as we found out... The bot is essentially a glorified spectator, so it's more like 2.5 player co-op. People following the series probably knew this already but to us it was a bit disappointing.

Not a huge deal for the price of entry if using the gamepass, and you can take turns on robot-duty between chapters or whatever, but, yeah, if you're three people someone's going to have less fun than the others.

News Comments > The End is Nigh and ABZU Free on Epic Games Store

39. Re: The End is Nigh and ABZU Free on Epic Games Store Sep 6, 2019, 19:14 peteham

Slick wrote on Sep 6, 2019, 14:58:
Abzu is supposed to be good, I got it for my Hexbox One and haven't gotten around to playing it yet. I miss really engrossing well crafted AAA single-player games. Cyberpunk can't get here soon enough, cause I just keep going back to playing multiplayer shooters...
If memory serves, it's only a couple of hours long. It's basically underwater Journey, so not everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoyed it a lot. Perfect game for a rainy Sunday morning.

News Comments > Get Assassin's Creed Odyssey Fields of Elysium for Free

8. Re: Get Assassin's Creed Odyssey Fields of Elysium for Free Aug 27, 2019, 17:10 peteham

I just didn't enjoy either Odyssey or Origins that much. The worlds they've built are amazing, , especially Origins. Something about Egypt and pyramids that greek huts or temples can't match. But the gameplay just becomes complete drudgery after 4-5 hours. At this point you'll have seen every quest variety the games have to offer but you're not even 10% through yet. If I see another fort-of-kill-two-captains-loot-two-chests-burn-2-supplies-find-the-nations-chest in this life time, I may just implode.

Storywise, I hardly remember a thing. There's just too much game spread far too thin. Odyssey is actually worse than Origins in this regard. I'd guess twice or more the size? With the same cut & pasted content essentially. Can't barely remember a single NPC or story beat in Odyssey. A couple in Origins.

Forts.

Forts.

Bandit camp.

Leader house.

Forts.

(For the uninitiated: they're all different size forts)

Bounty hunters, aka that terrible nemesis imitation (to be fair, I didn't enjoy it in SoM either): Thankfully they just let you pay off the whole thing for a pittance from the map screen anywhere. It's ridiculous how every bounty hunter in Greece automatically knows where you are and you will literally finish slitting the throat of the first guy when the horns sound again, announcing the approach of the next guy. And the next. And so on. I once lost an entire fort clear worth of progress because the buggers just kept on coming and you can't really take that many hits on hard.

On that note: Incoming poison is ludicrous (on hard at least). A single hit from Sir Bulletsponge will kill you unless you have the heal/status clear skill ready.

Second note: You can't save in forts. Some of them are huge. A workaround is to exit the "hostile" area which allows you to save and not have to re-clear/assassinate every last henchman all over again if you or the controls mess up and you get spotted.

Oh yeah. It wouldn't be Assassin's Creed if the controls didn't regularly betray you. The addition of a descend button has certainly helped but whenever the game expects speed or accuracy, you may just find yourself glued to the wall you were trying to get behind while arrows slam into your back..

Odyssey also has that completely Oblivion-esque leveling system where getting a level ironically means you lose power, once you no longer have more core combat skills to gain at least (the "end-game" stat modifier points don't amount to much). You level up, your enemies immediately scale to your level (unless you disable scaling for a truly snooze-worthy gameplay experience), but your gear stays the same. Meaning you have to upgrade all your stuff every 5 levels or so to keep up. Again, it's just a tedious task to perform. And it actually becomes quite expensive. Unlike most RPGs where you're swimming in cash by the end, you will not max your ship and character in Odyssey short of spending 200+ hours. Not that you need it, but, you know..

Will give them credit for the DLCs though. Feels like a proper expansion and is actually more focused than the main game (though fear not, there's still forts!).

Uhm. So yeah. Dear diary, nobody's ever going to read that but I feel so much better now

News Comments > Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Video

3. Re: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Video Jun 25, 2019, 17:05 peteham

The make or break for me will be just how much Metroidvania it has. At one point they show a rotatable map of the area, so it may be at least a bit less linear than it looks. Or it may be just to find collectibles. If it's basically Uncharted with more Star Wars, I'm not too excited about it..

Based on some YouTube vid I saw, it also seems the combat takes more finesse and is more methodical than it looks. You supposedly have to time your moves correctly to riposte, block blaster shots and so on, so it's not more or less automatic/mainly skill tree based like it was in Jedi Knight.

Just hope it doesn't turn out to be another mediocrity-fest like The Force Unleashed.

News Comments > Wanking Simulator Announced

12. Re: Wanking Simulator Announced May 14, 2019, 12:24 peteham

aka_STEVE wrote on May 14, 2019, 07:46:
HOW is this not en EPIC games store exclusive !?!?!?!?
Laugh2

News Comments > BioWare on the State of Anthem

21. Re: Game Reviews Mar 14, 2019, 17:13 peteham

Nucas wrote on Mar 14, 2019, 15:45:
gameplay was fun but the content was at best anemic. i'm looking forward to having a completed game to play in a year or two but not much going on with it at present.
Yeah I think this will be a good co-op romp once it's on sale for me.. I think the sum of all issues here go so deep I have zero faith it's going to be the game it could have been before Anthem 2 though (assuming that ever happens now).

If it was Blizzard, maybe, but Bioware/EA? No way.

News Comments > 350K+ Apex Legend Cheaters Banned

7. Re: Game Reviews Mar 9, 2019, 18:32 peteham

theglaze wrote on Mar 9, 2019, 18:01:
350,000 cheaters over a 50,000,000 population = 0.7% banned

Perhaps for every cheater caught, there are 4 more out there running around? So that works out to being about 3 players per match.

The chance of you running into one of those players, for them having a cheating tool that gives them an actual advantage, and they successfully use said tool... that's still pretty damn rare.

And a hugely disproportionate amount of those are (shockingly) in the Asia region. So if you are unfortunate enough to play there, the chance is probably significantly higher. Everywhere else, probably a lot lower.

This being a F2P game, banned players can presumably just create a new Origin account and start over. Unless the ban uses some kind of hardware ID or hidden cheater queue under the covers and they just haven't told anyone.

News Comments > Apex Legends Hits 1M Players Right Off

35. Re: Game Reviews Feb 5, 2019, 17:28 peteham

Jivaro wrote on Feb 5, 2019, 17:07:
Two classes hidden behind a paywall? There isn't a way to earn them by playing?
12.000 Legend Tokens or 750 Apex Coins ($7.50). Legend Tokens are earned through match XP. Can't really speak to the earn-rate; it's obviously going to be faster if you're good at the game and it could amount to a ludicrous grind for a normal player, for all I know. But it's certainly possible.

News Comments > Apex Legends Hits 1M Players Right Off

23. Re: Game Reviews Feb 5, 2019, 14:02 peteham

I guess Titans would be hard to balance. One-shot from afar by a heavy railgun isn't too much fun in a mode where you (barring a team rez) only get one life per game.

Speaking of team rez, it's the greatest thing. Back in PUBG we used to drop school/Pochinki out of sheer boredom with safe places (run around and loot nothing for 10 minutes, then get caught in a bad spot and get owned without hardly firing a shot). Problem is that in PUBG hotspots, usually only 1-2 guys of the 4 player squad would make it out alive. Options? Either suicide or play it out, with the dead guys then having to wait 10-15 minutes. That shit gets old and boring really fast for everyone. Blackout had the same problem though not quite as slow. Here they give you a chance of bringing back dead team mates (without gear) if you come out on top of a squad fight, and are able to make it to one of the rez stations. This also means you will usually face full squads in fire fights.

Other than that, feels as polished and smooth as Blackops and it's free to play. If they can keep the positive momentum/buzz going with some regular updates, balancing, maps, guns etc. (unlike Blackops which seems designed around not doing a thing until the inevitable full installment in a year), I think it has a lot going for it.

News Comments > Anthem Open Demo Live

34. Re: Game Reviews Feb 2, 2019, 09:42 peteham

Quinn wrote on Feb 2, 2019, 07:57:
Some friendly advice: fly low above water or through water(falls) and you are "cooled". Perfect for exploration and travel as your overheat actually diminishes while flying this way.
Adding to this, you can also dive to cool off, and extend your flight time that way.

I saw a YouTube video where the guy indicated the overheating felt more aggressively tuned in the demo than in some version he had tested but I don't recall which. In any case, I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing to have a forced skill-based element to extending your flight time rather than just being able to point your noise at the objective while going to the bathroom (to use some hyperbole ). Makes traversal a bit more interesting. It's just that the quality of PC flight controls in their current state makes rapid direction changes for diving+leveling out as well as detouring via waterfalls etc. a bit shit, when the suit behaves like a drunken bumblebee.

News Comments > Subnautica: Below Zero Early Access

10. Re: Game Reviews Feb 1, 2019, 08:47 peteham

Loved Subnautica, and I don't even like survival games. Great atmosphere, surprisingly fun story & mystery, fantastic exploration and locations. Not to mention tolerable amount of hunger/thirst management, which you could pretty much eliminate entirely with grow-beds mid to late game and focus on exploration and expansion rather than the tedium of staying alive. Good progression there.

Early Access for the expansion was insta-buy for me, but going to wait it's done or nearly so before digging in. It probably won't be able to replicate the wonder of the first for me (partially caused by me knowing literally nothing about it when I started playing) but Subnautica still managed to be one of those extremely rare games these days where I was still hungry for more by the time I finished it.

News Comments > On Tomorrow's Public Anthem Demo

27. Re: Game Reviews Feb 1, 2019, 05:53 peteham

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 1, 2019, 05:36:
Asmodai wrote on Feb 1, 2019, 03:47:
Gawd, is it showing my age that I don't even care about Anthem at this point?

It's nothing particular about the game, EA or anything else, but looking at some of the demo footage, it's just a big old 'meh' to me.
Same here. I'll check out the demo just for shits and giggles but tbh I am more excited for the Civ6 expansion than for Anthem
I thought the same before trying the demo but I found it a lot more fun to play than it looks in videos. That's not saying the game (as represented in the demo) doesn't have major issues, the most serious one for me being flying (arguably their main distinguishing feature), along with a bunch of quality of life stuff.

The game does allow you to switch to controller on the fly, so I did try briefly with a pad just to check out the feel. The gameplay is wayyyy too fast to swap between m+kb and controller whenever you enter "vehicle mode" the way I usually play games like GTA. Still, flying on a gameplad is fun and feels immediately intuitive. Meanwhile, m+kb, has you fighting the controls instead. The "you'll get used to it" statement from Reddit a week ago is like going "oh well, if you insist on using mouse+kb you don't get enjoy one of our primary gameplay pillars".

Overall, though, I'm going to keep this on my radar. Currently trying to convince my co-op group to wait some months as I'm sure this will be a vastly better game in a year. Provided it doesn't tank so hard they just give it the ME:A treatment.. But hey,this time there isn't a B-team to throw under the bus.

News Comments > Anthem Demo Issues

35. Re: Game Reviews Jan 26, 2019, 11:37 peteham

Some random jumbled thoughts after playing through the demo twice with a group of friends.

- Feels more like a beta than a demo. Not because of stability (not a single crash) but because it feels a bit... Unfinished.
- Gameplay as a whole is better than I thought after seeing vids, but the *gunplay* sucks. Skills/spells/whatever is where it's at for doing damage, the guns are just pea-shooters.
- Mouse & keyboard controls for flying are almost insultingly bad, especially under water. Pretty much every preview mentioned this, but I had to try it before realizing just how bad. The fact that they think this is OK for release is surprising to me, and probably indicative of the attention the PC version is getting...
- Haven't seen menus this bad in a while. Just one hour in, managing your inventory etc. is already starting to feel a bit nightmare'ish. Ripped straight from the console version with rudimentary PC input on top.

Finally, the way dialog/back to town stuff between missions is handled, makes for a terrible co-op experience:
- You're ALL stuck in town until the last slow-poke clicks ready. You can't mess around, shoot trash mobs or grab some collectibles. You HAVE to wait in menus or tinker with load-outs until the whole party is ready to go out again.
- Your friends that haven't seen a particular cut scene yet get to feel like they're making everyone else wait (and they totally are). You're more likely to skip all dialog than listen to it.
- Conversely, the people waiting this out for the n-th time will be there to ruin New Guy(tm)'s cut scenes with discord chatter.
- Having to walk everywhere in this space just sucks. It's like Everyone's Gone To The Rapture again.

News Comments > Anthem Demo Issues

34. Re: Game Reviews Jan 26, 2019, 11:05 peteham

Red886 wrote on Jan 26, 2019, 10:39:
i only care for one question: is it a proper rpg?
sad that Andromeda was butchered for this
From what little can be seen in the demo, that's a nope. You can talk to NPCs in "town". Some give you a flavor text option A or B. Others just say stuff when you poke them.

News Comments > G-SYNC Expands to Some FreeSync Monitors

2. Re: Game Reviews Jan 7, 2019, 10:17 peteham

"Ultimate" must be referring to the price these things will carry, I take it.  

News Comments > Anthem Alpha Gameplay Video

26. Re: Game Reviews Jan 6, 2019, 05:18 peteham

Creston wrote on Jan 6, 2019, 00:43:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 6, 2019, 00:30:
2) they got 3 "common" loot drops from that entire mission
3) enemies don't drop loot, ever, it's 100% mission based

Oh fuck me. That's literally the worst possible design for a fucking loot shooter.

It's like they had all these great ideas, then went "How can we implement these in the worst possible way so it just becomes a giant, grindy suckfest?"
At a guess, proper itemization isn't in yet so it's probably placeholder stuff.

Honesly though, I personally prefer enemies not dropping loot and instead getting everything as mission rewards/chests or from loot pinata boss monsters. I hate general corpse looting with a passion and hope it vanishes from games entirely Nothing more tedious to me than walking up to 50000000 corpses over the course of a game and pressing "E" (or worse, in the world of consolized interfaces: HOLDING "E"). One thing Destiny actually managed to get right was letting you run over loot Mario-style without having to pause your killing spree; even mailing you missed loot after the mission. Also hope they keep the level of trash loot (with no other purpose than being dismantled or sold) at a minimum. Just drop cash or materials to begin with please, I prefer not initiating/ending my gameplay sessions with two hours parked in front of a vendor or stash.. This part, Destiny most definitely got WRONG as 99.9% of drops were useless trash and you didn't even stop to look at drops most of the times with their shitty milestone progression system (basically, in-world drops cannot be upgrades).

It may also be different for "missions" like this and just free roaming, if the game has that, I suppose.. I haven't really been following it too closely and I'm with the seemingly large crowd that thinks it looks rather "meh".

It would surprise me greatly if a game like this, featuring flying, wasn't crammed with plenty of collectible knick knacks hidden in corners, for players to walk/fly up to and hold E, though.. Gotta use that traversal for something.

News Comments > MS Acquires Obsidian and inXile

59. Re: Game Reviews Nov 12, 2018, 18:52 peteham

Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2018, 18:29:
In any case, I'm ambivalent. On the one hand, it sucks. When was the last time a cool dev got bought by a giant publisher and they DIDN'T turn to shit? On the other hand, I know Obsidian especially was always one game away from dying, so at least this way they get to stay around. I'm wondering if this is why Chris Avellone left.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/9weox1/avellone_recommends_microsoft_to_fire_obsidian/ also he and the execs of Obsidian don't seem to have been what you'd call chums.

728 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >