Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 697 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD's Monster Sales
16. Re: Game Reviews Aug 11, 2018, 08:15 peteham

Bought it and played it for a few hours with some friends (or rather tried to, the lobby/party system is atrocious) and I absolutely hate it so far heh. It's a combination of being bored and overwhelmed by all the shit you need to collect. I've been told MH is like that for everyone at first and you have to persevere until it "clicks", but I'm too old and jaded to go through 5+ hours or intense boredom when I could be doing other things with my time. This game just isn't for me I think.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DOOM Eternal Gameplay Trailer
17. Re: Game Reviews Aug 11, 2018, 05:54 peteham

I hated the skill challenge progression stuff of the previous game. Instead of blasting through the levels and have fun it's like having a dumb checklist of "here's the arbitrary things you need to do".

Same goes for collectibles tied to leveling up your health and armor. These two put together (and my slight completionist OCD) slowed the game down to a crawl and made me tire of it before I ever finished it. "Oh I need to do 3 leg take-downs on monster B but there are no more monster B left in the entire level.. Oh well guess I have to restart!".

News Comments > Anthem Gameplay Video
14. Re: Game Reviews Jul 6, 2018, 05:42 peteham

Bishi wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 03:55:
Pretty, but the actual gameplay looks veery dull.
Point mouse here. Hold button down for 10 seconds.
Agreed, but it's almost always impossible to properly gauge the fun factor from a gameplay video with the difficulty set to "demo", anyway. The actual game will no doubt (hopefully) require a bit more in terms of movement, positioning, aim and skill use/timing.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Game Reviews Jul 2, 2018, 05:25 peteham

MattyC wrote on Jul 2, 2018, 05:14:
I agree with what you are saying, but getting to that 'first' ending still felt really rushed to me. I still enjoyed the game a lot, but I got the impression a good bit may have been cut or dropped there to meet a deadline or something.
That's what he's trying to say without spoiling anything though This is more a weird presentation issue on behalf of the game creator than anything else, but the four main playthroughs and endings in Automata aren't alternate endings in the traditional sense. They're chapters or routes. Your "second playthrough" to get ending B will be fairly different from your first.

Essentially, if you've gotten the first ending, so far, you've only seen "Act 1".

News Comments > Apple on Steam Link iOS Rejection
5. Re: Game Reviews May 27, 2018, 14:42 peteham

RedEye9 wrote on May 27, 2018, 13:47:
Apples response translated: We were not getting a big enough cut.
Yes indeedy: "violates a number of guidelines around user generated content, in-app purchases, content codes."

Somewhat ironic, though, considering Steam itself has a content policy which does not allow in-app purchases to circumvent their distribution system, AFAIK.

Goes around, comes around? And thus we ended up with EA games only on Origin... Although in this case, there's no way of circumventing Apple's walled garden.

13. Re: Game Reviews May 14, 2018, 12:12 peteham

Ravor wrote on May 14, 2018, 09:18:
I assume PUBG is on the #1 because of game sales, but because of key sales to unlock crates. I could be wrong though!
Pretty sure these are actual sales only, and marketplace-stuff isn't factored in at all. Otherwise you could expect to see titles like CS:GO and DOTA here.

News Comments > Fortnite 50v50 Returns
9. Re: Game Reviews May 12, 2018, 11:39 peteham

theglaze wrote on May 12, 2018, 02:45:
4. Easy repetition; joining a new match instantly after a loss keeps the player engaged.
Adding some things to this:

- NOT winning never really feels like *losing* because actually winning is so rare and semi-random anyway. It's more about having fun in each game and score some kills and every game is different.
- The immeiacy of everything (dying, restarting) ensures that unlike rounds-based games (especially team-based shooters like CS, Overwatch, Battlefield) you're never stuck in a match where your team is clearly inferior and you're just getting stomped for 15 minutes; having to play out the match anyway.
- An extension of the above: Not having to be stuck with the same shitty toxic team-mates for 15 miserable minutes while the match plays out.

News Comments > Battlefield V Battle Royale Plans?
20. Re: Game Reviews Apr 19, 2018, 03:05 peteham

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 00:45:
Maybe they can be the first ones to create a battle royale mode that is actually a fully fleshed out game, instead of a empty shell of a dayz clone with other mechanics hindered by being an afterthought to the core "loot places and kill people" mechanic. And no, pubg does not count. Look at how vehicles handle in that game; it looks like it's still in beta. dice could nail vehicles and make them actually feel decent, and i'm all for that. fortnite feels really jank because it ends up devolving into a "spam construction pieces" battle at the end of the match, and that type of gameplay is very shallow IMO. Sure its fast-paced and exciting and fun at times, but the gameplay mechanic feels very much out of place in a battle royale type game. having defensive barriers and stuff is nifty, but just being able to spam them everywhere freely is detrimental to a deeper gameplay experience that could be there.

given the success of pubg/fortnite, its a no-brainer that the major fps franchises will be exploring this multiplayer mode, and the battlefield series is perfect because it already has the large player infrastructure down very well, and an engine thats been built already with pretty much everything that this type of game would need.
Yep, yep and yep. If anyone's perfectly positioned for replacing PUBG as the military-BR-of-choice, it's DICE/BF. I'll play this to death if they get the major things right and don't turn it into MTX-hell.. And I'm pretty sure half of PUBG's veteran playerbase would jump ship immediately if it's good. Most seeming pretty resigned about BlueHole's inability to fix their engine/platform's deeper issues like bad framerate/smoothness, plain bad netcode (cheating and hitdetection) and endless other janky bits.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands Free Weekend
9. Re: Game Reviews Apr 13, 2018, 14:35 peteham

My two cents: Only worth spending time on for casual/relaxing co-op with friends. Nice excuse for getting together on Discord for a few evenings of low stress gaming. Personally couldn't play five minutes of this game solo, but YMMV.

Map is huge, and there are enough points of interest that doing 100% is surely going to take 200 hours. Sadly, it's also a generic box-ticking fest that stands out even for Ubisoft. The gameplay isn't particularly good; guns don't have any "weight" or "crunch", movement feels odd, and the driving physics are *atrociously* bad. Do yourself a favor and unlock helicopter-summoning ASAP, as flying is the least terrible way of getting around without fast travelling. Leveling up/upgrading is fairly inconsequential, and the whole game is the same 5'ish mission types repeated over and over and over and over and over. For co-op, though, we did find the lack of leveling/progression to be more of an advantage than anything, as we had no problem playing together despite having different schedules completion percentages over time (most of the weapon unlock stuff is about getting more options, not necessarily power.)

Haven't tried the PvP, so can't comment on it.

News Comments > Radical Heights Launched
8. Re: Game Reviews Apr 10, 2018, 16:38 peteham

Beamer wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 15:45:
If you think you can make something, do more work towards making it before showing it off. Blah blah, only one chance to make a first impression. How many games pick up steam later on in life, especially after a mediocre-or-worse launch? Fortnite, by completely changing what the game was (to the point that the title no longer makes sense), and... uh...?
With Lawbreakers failing the way it did, I'd guess this move is forced by their financial situation. Either release now and hope for some income or investor interest, or run out of cash for payroll in a few months anyway, having released nothing. I really can't see this doing well in any state though. At a superficial level, it's too similar to the pre-existing juggernaut of Fortnite. Much like the next big MOBA-situation of yesteryear.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Free Weekend
29. Re: Game Reviews Jan 30, 2018, 20:38 peteham

chickenboo wrote on Jan 30, 2018, 12:30:
Cutter wrote on Jan 30, 2018, 12:10:
... going around playing junkman and hauling around everything in sight.

Hahaha this is perfect. I think this is one of the things that's turned me off Bethesda games in the last few years, ever since Skyrim. The constant unceasing looting. Corpses to loot full of apples and potatoes and candles and silver cups and platters. Cupboards and closets everywhere. Every time I see a Draugr corpse in a dungeon I'd feel compelled to take the 3 coins rusting away on it.

Fallout 4 would be even worse if I need to loot all these dumb housing components whenever I see them (in addition to all the ammo, various armor, weapons to sell, and then animal/insect parts, in addition to silver platters and cold war era scotch). "Ooh this corpse has a "Leather Couch Left Armrest Upholstery" better grab that if I ever want a nice looking couch. And this chest has kitchen chair pads so I don't scuff my house's floor when I sit in the chair!"
Heh FO4 is actually the only game I've returned on Steam. Barely got out of the vault and back to "my house" before becoming over-encumbered. Hopped on Nexus and found a carrying cap mod which turned out to be broken -
after having wasted some time troubleshooting the mod manager etc.. Found another that did work but was already low on patience and high on "I already did 100+ hours of this bs in FO3 and another 200+ in Skyrim".

Then discovered the physics/collision detection craps itself if you go above 60 fps, as I started getting stuck in front of every freaking terminal in the game. The fix? Having to use a third party frame rate limiter or yet another mod.. What the...

Patience depleted. Goodbye.

News Comments > PUBG Cheaters and Not Cheaters Identified
15. Re: Game Reviews Jan 19, 2018, 20:56 peteham

Leper wrote on Jan 19, 2018, 17:19:
So what else can they do besides banning them (with the side effect forcing the cheaters to buy another copy of the game if they want to play)? Is there some other way to deter cheating that they aren't doing? Who cares if it makes the company a little extra money if it's only cheaters paying? If you can't ban a cheater for life from your game, then at least they should have to pay more. Yeah, some of that money becomes profit but certainly some of it will get invested back into the game to make it better.
CS supposedly requires you to register and validate a phone number to your account in order to join ranked games. It's probably not a 100% perfect solution, but at least it makes it a little harder to just make endless throw-away accounts. I'd like to see something similar for PUBG. And let players who refuse to register/validate queue with other players who do the same.

7. Re: Game Reviews Jan 15, 2018, 10:20 peteham

Jagacademy wrote on Jan 15, 2018, 09:23:
It is super incredibly obvious when someone is cheating, it should never come down to "Hmm, maybe this person is just good." You'll watch the Death Cam and see them firing into the ground over and over again, since many of the cheats circumvent line-of-sight mechanics. Aimbotting is common as well, in which you'll see their reticule snap straight to someone's head, kill them in 1 second, instantly snap to another head, kill them in 1 second, etc. If you keep an eye on the killcam (edit: killfeed) as well, it is easy to spot cheaters, as their name keeps popping up with kill after kill.

In 3rd person, cheating is an epidemic in this game. I've had days when it was every other match, sometimes game after game after game. Switched to 1st person, and almost never see a cheater, so that works for now.
The kill-cam bugs out. Getting shot by someone staring at the floor in the killcam doesn't have to mean they're cheating. https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/7khigm/is_this_a_kill_cam_bug/

Not to mention, in a game with 100 players on the field, you're going to be on the receiving end of quite a few shots that are just dumb luck, through sheer power of numbers. I once headshot a guy going full speed on a motorbike 350 metres away, with a KAR98 and a red dot. An almost impossible shot and could barely even see what I was aiming at. I'm sure the guy must've reported me. Not even sure why I tried shooting haha.

Other than that, I haven't really noticed too much obvious cheating lately. I pretty much only play squads though, on EU. Maybe it's worse in duo/solo or other regions, but in my view, people tend to be too quick to scream "cheater". Especially for a game with netcode this wonky, strange stuff is going to happen.

News Comments > Destiny 2 The Dawning Dawns
9. Re: Game Reviews Dec 19, 2017, 15:11 peteham

Rhialto wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 12:33:
I've got a code with my new video card, I don't want to activate it because I'm not interested in that game. Suggestions? I know if I sell/trade the person needs to have a 1080 or 1080 Ti.
Cast it into the fire!

8. Re: Game Reviews Dec 19, 2017, 15:06 peteham

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 11:55:
Bright dust can be acquired by dismantling shaders/ships/sparrows. You get tons of these with just regular play so not that bad unless the prices are ridiculous like 3000 bright dust.
I've played enough to have two characters at the expansion level cap, and a third at the old cap (305). Not sure how many hours that amounts to. 100-200?

Now, I've only used my in-game silver to buy fireteam tokens, of which I've gotten a few. Sitting at about 3000 bright dust at the moment. There's no way to actively farm it in-game besides just grinding levels. Let's say I could increase that 50% if I dismantled every Eververse shader/sparrow/ship I have. It's still a pittance. These items cost the same as the rest of the store-stuff, so between 400-1500+. For reference, 2000 silver can be bought for 20 EUR or 23-24 USD. These rewards could've been handed out for challenges and im-game objectives in a game that's so content lite it desperately needs stuff to do, but no. The entire end-game is balanced around this, and it's glorious...

1. Re: Game Reviews Dec 19, 2017, 10:42 peteham

If there’s a specific Dawning item that you have your heart set on, Tess will refresh her inventory each week, enabling you to use your Bright Dust reserves for your holiday shopping. On one week or another during the three-week event, you’ll find every Dawning-themed exotic (ship, ghost, sparrow, emote) and every Dawning-themed legendary armor piece on her shelves.
Rather ballsy of them to include that in the current player climate Or just completely out of touch.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Game Reviews Dec 19, 2017, 02:50 peteham

Self-replicating army of killer robots, next!

Think I've seen this movie.. And played the game. Thinking

19. Re: Game Reviews Dec 18, 2017, 12:24 peteham

Beamer wrote on Dec 18, 2017, 12:07:
Is They Are Billions a real-time strategy, or a tower defense?
Something of a mix between a Settlers-style city builder, RTS-lite and tower defense. It's definitely about turtling in your base/town, but you won't be building any TD-style tower gauntlets, either. And income is based expanding outwards in order to capture resources on the map (sometimes temporarily/knowing you'll lose that node come the next wave) so you can upgrade and build more things, while balancing everything with upkeep.

7. Re: Game Reviews Dec 17, 2017, 17:47 peteham

Creston wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 17:16:
They are billions LOL

Scroll to the end of the video, and then watch just how fucking MANY zombies attack him. It's literally like ten thousand of them. He keeps going "How do I stop this??" and I'm pretty sure the answer is "you don't."

This game BADLY needs AoE defenses/attacks. Having to kill 10000 zombies one at a time is impossible. Those Minigun turrets are probably wasting 95% of their damage per shot. Why aren't they simply rotating and mowing down entire ROWS of zombies?
The game has shock towers for massive AOE (basically melt everything around them but are hard to position because of the short range); the guy just didn't build any. Like the YouTube comments say, he was dead long before the horde arrived. Tiny base/barely cleared the map at all, still stuck with loads of ballistae and only 1-2 executors per choke at best. Not a single Titan or Lucifer that I could spot (mobile units) and a tiny handful of rangers. At least that I was able to spot from glancing at the last minutes.

Basically, he had defenses that could barely stop the regular zombie waves, let alone the final horde.

News Comments > PUBG 1.0 Plans Include Replays
11. Re: Game Reviews Dec 16, 2017, 19:59 peteham

Muscular Beaver wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 18:54:
Fortnite is a much more action loaded and fast game. You loot fast, you find good stuff everywhere and you always feel like you achieved something, even if you didnt win.
In PUBG the several loading screens after each match, the long waiting time before a game starts, the long dive down, the frustration when you only find crap and cant defend yourself against well equipped people, is bad enough. But as you said, its also clunky as hell still, and in some cases worse than before.
I know we had our different opinions on Fortnite, but Fortnite is far better than PUBG.
It's the PUBG early game loop that's put me off PUBG for now. Got 200 hours or so with friends out of it so can't exactly complain. But those initial couple minutes of waiting in the lobby, followed by another minute or two on the loud-ass-plane (mute hotkey is your friend), another minute of parachuting somewhere you've gone 9999 times before, then the standard mad dash with variying degrees of lag and item spawn delay, only to find a pistol or a t-shirt, while the other guy gets an AR/shotgun..

99% of my games have been 4-squads and this really gets aggravating after a while. You can of course choose to drop somewhere really desolate but that makes it extremely likely you're gonna end up with one AR and half a clip to share between the four of you... Drop somewhere busy like Pochinki or school, and you're likely to find stuff, but you're also gonna lose one or two team mates facing between 2-4 other teams, guaranteed. Often because the other guy's house happened to have an AR while yours had the stupid-ass revolver.. Then, even when your team comes out on top, your gear is likely to suck because every consumable and ammo clip went into the fighting, the circle's about to close on the extreme other end of the map and you just have to suicide-drive across the map (assuming you were able to secure a car, otherwise it's PlayerUnknown's Walking Simulator-time).

Oh and if you were one of the early guys down, you won 5-15 minutes of idle-time while your friends play out the game. At least for team games, unless you're really good and your friends equally so (i.e. skilled enough to overpower some of the inherent RNG-factors of the game itself and the jank), a huge amount of your game time is spent just waiting around, walking, driving somewhere or picking up the same old stuff again and again.

697 Comments. 35 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo