Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for pete

Real Name pete   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname peteham
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 14, 2007, 18:39
Total Comments 711 (Apprentice)
User ID 45624

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > G-SYNC Expands to Some FreeSync Monitors
2. Re: Game Reviews Jan 7, 2019, 10:17 peteham

"Ultimate" must be referring to the price these things will carry, I take it.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Anthem Alpha Gameplay Video
26. Re: Game Reviews Jan 6, 2019, 05:18 peteham

Creston wrote on Jan 6, 2019, 00:43:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 6, 2019, 00:30:
2) they got 3 "common" loot drops from that entire mission
3) enemies don't drop loot, ever, it's 100% mission based

Oh fuck me. That's literally the worst possible design for a fucking loot shooter.

It's like they had all these great ideas, then went "How can we implement these in the worst possible way so it just becomes a giant, grindy suckfest?"
At a guess, proper itemization isn't in yet so it's probably placeholder stuff.

Honesly though, I personally prefer enemies not dropping loot and instead getting everything as mission rewards/chests or from loot pinata boss monsters. I hate general corpse looting with a passion and hope it vanishes from games entirely Nothing more tedious to me than walking up to 50000000 corpses over the course of a game and pressing "E" (or worse, in the world of consolized interfaces: HOLDING "E"). One thing Destiny actually managed to get right was letting you run over loot Mario-style without having to pause your killing spree; even mailing you missed loot after the mission. Also hope they keep the level of trash loot (with no other purpose than being dismantled or sold) at a minimum. Just drop cash or materials to begin with please, I prefer not initiating/ending my gameplay sessions with two hours parked in front of a vendor or stash.. This part, Destiny most definitely got WRONG as 99.9% of drops were useless trash and you didn't even stop to look at drops most of the times with their shitty milestone progression system (basically, in-world drops cannot be upgrades).

It may also be different for "missions" like this and just free roaming, if the game has that, I suppose.. I haven't really been following it too closely and I'm with the seemingly large crowd that thinks it looks rather "meh".

It would surprise me greatly if a game like this, featuring flying, wasn't crammed with plenty of collectible knick knacks hidden in corners, for players to walk/fly up to and hold E, though.. Gotta use that traversal for something.

News Comments > MS Acquires Obsidian and inXile
59. Re: Game Reviews Nov 12, 2018, 18:52 peteham

Creston wrote on Nov 12, 2018, 18:29:
In any case, I'm ambivalent. On the one hand, it sucks. When was the last time a cool dev got bought by a giant publisher and they DIDN'T turn to shit? On the other hand, I know Obsidian especially was always one game away from dying, so at least this way they get to stay around. I'm wondering if this is why Chris Avellone left.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/9weox1/avellone_recommends_microsoft_to_fire_obsidian/ also he and the execs of Obsidian don't seem to have been what you'd call chums.

News Comments > MS Acquires Obsidian and inXile
12. Re: Game Reviews Nov 11, 2018, 15:25 peteham

Well.. Obsidian was struggling before PoE to the point where the studio was about to go under, and I've heard PoE 2 sales weren't stellar. I guess it may have been join the "family" or lay off a bunch of people (or go under) at this point? As for inXile, I guess Torment didn't do too well so probably similar situation there.

With the amount of studio acquisitions lately, obviously MS wants to even the field on platform exclusives next generation. Wonder if they still intend to commit to "Play Anywhere". I guess timed exclusive is the best we can hope for..

News Comments > Destiny 2 Free Gambit Trial
7. Re: Game Reviews Nov 10, 2018, 11:21 peteham

Bioware and Ubisoft can partially thank Activision if launch sales for Anthem and Division 2 are less than stellar. Talk about teaching people never to buy these games at launch. That's what, $140-160 so far, if you were in from the start? Also keeping in mind that the Warmind and Osiris DLCs were beyond laughable. Shameless moneygrabs. The price is right at $0 but what does the existing player base get? An emblem. Yay.  

News Comments > World of Warcraft Classic Demo Play Time Limitations
29. Re: Game Reviews Nov 2, 2018, 18:58 peteham

Kxmode wrote on Nov 2, 2018, 18:41:
Scheherazade wrote on Nov 2, 2018, 17:30:
I just looked up the cinematic trailer. 1.5k likes. 45k dislikes.

Upvotes: 2.7K
Downvotes: 69K

Colossal failure for a new Blizzard game in an existing IP.
Sadly, they'll still probably rake in the cash with it. Sure, none of us will play it but there are probably tonnes who will. They'll reach an entirely new audience with this, in addition to the people who will play anything they put out regardless.

Can't help but be disappointed though. Even knowing it was probably coming. At least they could have waited or announced it along side a real Diablo title or something. Instead, this was the meme becoming reality. The schadenfreude I get from watching the almost completely silent audience (and apparently booing during panels?) doesn't quite compensate. But it must have been interesting to be the guy that had to announce it. And this was with the most forgiving audience it was possible to have, at a fan convention...

News Comments > Fallout 76 B.E.T.A. Extended
5. Re: Game Reviews Oct 31, 2018, 12:40 peteham

This looks none too promising. Current word on the street is that the beta is absolutely terrible, both in the performance and gameplay department. And the game isn't that far off. On the other hand, my tolerance is quite high for co-op games, so...  

News Comments > More Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Hints
10. Re: Game Reviews Oct 28, 2018, 17:03 peteham

mellis wrote on Oct 28, 2018, 14:22:
Your comment seems to echo the general user reviews. 9.7 / 10 from MetaCritic's Critic Reviews, yet only 7.6 from User Reviews (based on at least 2000 reviews). Basically, over hyped and under delivers seems to be the consensus.

Also shows you how much stock you can put in supposedly impartial Critic Reviews these days...

This particular review by the user Jelle nails it as far as my current impression goes (gives it 6/10):

This is exactly the kind of game journalists love - it's pretty, technically flawless and fun to go through effortlessly. Game journalists hate frustration (i.e. challenge) and bugs (i.e. made by non-AAA developers that can't afford 1000 workers in their QA department). But what is it that you actually do in RDR2? Mostly riding from place A to place B and watching cutscenes. It's an AMAZING interactive movie. But actually playing the game is nothing special, unless you are willing and able to fully roleplay a cowboy. The best way to enjoy this game is to save your money and watch someone entertaining playing it on Youtube.

At least in GTA, driving from A to B is fun in itself. Getting somewhere by horse, when you're not being ambushed, really doesn't provide you with much more to do than taking in the scenery (which admittedly looks great here) or listen to the conversation. Then there's the overall clunkyness of the entire looting experience in general, i.e. kill animal, dismount, skin animal, tie animal to horse, remount, ride somewhere, dismount again... Or, as in GiantBomb's Quicklook, they were searching a cottage at some point and every item investigated was picked up and examined. All lovingly animated in excruciating detail. Just watching drove me nuts, and I will never be able to play this game without something like XCOM 2's DontWasteMyTime mod. Maybe once there's a PC version, someone will be able to build something like it.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Game Reviews Oct 25, 2018, 17:50 peteham

Watching the Digital Foundry comparison now. The Xbox One [S] version seems by far the inferior version, while One X is the best, and actually native 4k. The One S actually looks so brown and foggy in some comparison shots, one could almost think they were captured with different weather, but this is DF and not IGN, so I guess that's just how it looks.. [Edit: Actually, there was a note at the start stating some difference in visuals due to dynamic weather]

Game certainly looks pretty, but I'm going to wait for some word of mouth on this anyway. Let some people play it over the weekend. I'm not in the camp that super-loved the first RDR, and I'm just so insanely burnt out on any sort of open world mechanic that the mere prospect of having to skin a single fox, rabbit or what have you, makes me seriously question whether I want to give it a go even if this is Rockstar and not Ubisoft..

Then there's was this one reviewer gushing about how you can actually see the character put loot in the backpack... Lengthy loot animations happens to be up there with skinning on my list of things-I-hate-doing-in-games. Along with looting 500 cups/spoons/plates and selling for chump change in Skyrim/Fallout. Mario coins remain the gold (haw!) standard for how I want loot pickup to work.

This comment was edited on Oct 26, 2018, 10:22.

News Comments > XCOM 2: War of the Chosen & Tactical Legacy Pack Released - XCOM 2 Free Weekend
13. Re: Game Reviews Oct 10, 2018, 15:17 peteham

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 13:40:
Flatline wrote on Oct 10, 2018, 13:20:
Oh also: the new tactical missions are mandatory ironman. No save scumming! And apparently you can't re-start the campaign. I tried to after almost getting TPK'd from a series of spectacular misses and got a 5000 point penalty for it.

Hrm... not sure I like that... that sort of thing is pretty much guaranteed to make me rage out, forced Ironman and not even restarting? lol. At least it's a free update, and it's separate from the main campaign, right? I don't have XCOM 2 installed at the moment, due to massive RPG overload.

I also was less than pleased to discover the forced Iron Man. Some people enjoy the tension but for me, it has the same effect as Hardcore mode in Diablo where it mainly just makes me play super conservatively and s-l-o-o-o-o-w-l-y-y-y-y. In this case: Blue move + overwatch everyone, every turn. Also makes me terrified of using cars for cover. I don't remember if it was XCOM1 or 2 that had the "I'm actually about to explode but you can't see me burning" bug, but it's an instakill for the hapless guy parked next to it. So if it's Iron Man, I'd rather not risk it. They seem to have dropped the concealed mechanic as well for these new missions, for some reason. If nothing else it made the initial turns a lot faster in the campaign.

Oh, and everyone, remember to go into the menus and change the soundtrack It's on WOTC by default. Played a couple of missions before I remembered.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Odyssey Released
12. Re: Game Reviews Oct 7, 2018, 04:47 peteham

Kxmode wrote on Oct 7, 2018, 00:59:
There are no haystacks in Odyssey. Can you at least know what's in the game first before you criticize it? I've played EVERY AC game in the main series to the completion (except for Odyssey), so I like to think of myself as an authority on them.
So they are *leaf-piles* instead of haystacks now...

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Odyssey Released
6. Re: Game Reviews Oct 6, 2018, 09:35 peteham

Pretty sure I've already played this game, despite not playing an AC game since Black Flag. Yet another Ubi-game with 8 hours of content stretched to 60+ hours through the power of cut&paste.

Word of the street is the XP progression has been tuned to be somewhat grindy to sell more XP boosters through the real money shop. That is, you need to do plenty of side quests to reach levels that allow you to progress through the story (see Jim Sterling's video for example). I don't mind a bit of grind but when the side quest material mostly amounts to "MY 5 GOATS HAVE GONE MISSING" or "TORCH THESE 10 DISEASED CORPSES" or "CLEAR THIS FORT"..... Witcher 3 this is not.

News Comments > XCOM 2: War of the Chosen Tactical Legacy Pack Next Week
14. Re: Game Reviews Oct 3, 2018, 14:26 peteham

Speaking of inventory management, that was one of the less good points about WoTC too. Shuffling those guns, armors and use-items around between every mission became ridiculously tedious after a while. A proper menu with lots of info in one screen taking advantage of PC monitor resolution would have helped tremendously, instead of the console sub menu hell they implemented. If I ever decide to replay, the first thing I'm gonna look for is a load-out mod.

Other than that, I still find WoTC worth every penny. Loads of content and huge improvement over XCOM2 basic.

News Comments > NVIDIA RTX 20-series Next Month
37. Re: Game Reviews Aug 20, 2018, 17:55 peteham

Slick wrote on Aug 20, 2018, 16:38:
The final sticker price is the weakest reason to boycott, I was mostly referring to the other shady shit that went on in that presentation as I've already mentioned. That was the biggest misdirection reveal I've ever seen.

They announced a price, then immediately set the bar $200 USD higher, WITHIN AN HOUR of the global announcement, then all other retailers followed suit. They also gave zero real-world performance metrics, benchmarks, apples-to-apples comparisons. They made up a new metric to clock their performance at which nobody uses, and nobody even knows what it means (76 terafucks! WOW! NUMBERS!). They are purposefully obfuscating real benchmarks why only comparing ray-tracing performance, and then in their marketing materials claiming that this gen is 6 times more powerful! Read the forums, people are honestly saying that the 2070 will be 6x faster than a 1080 Ti.

If that isn't enough to have consumers up in arms, I honestly don't know what would. The $1900 CAD for a consumer GPU is just icing on the cake.
Probably going to be a hefty amount of forum-rage, because like you point out, some dimwits seem to have picked up that they'll be getting a 7x performance increase over the 1080Ti for any regular/old rendering, not just the new RTX stuff. Assuming this can even be enabled on the previous gen cards, I didn't quite catch whether that will be the case, or if the number is purely there to illustrate how the old generation would be too slow for it to work in the first place.

And while the Battlefield demo was impressive, I'm not too sure we won't see a similar situation to when GeForce 3 introduced shaders many years back. Some games will use RTX and we'll get some even shinier water and prettier shadows, but games will still be developed for the old hardware first. The real utilization won't happen for the first generation. Though they claimed RTX was supposedly "easy" to just turn on, so maybe 1st gen impact will be larger than I think.. We'll see I guess.

As for an MP game like Battlefield, I tend to turn details down anyway in order to have less visual "clutter". I'm in no way ready to replace my 1080Ti but it's not like the 2080Ti is going to go down in price for the next year (at least), so for people who were going to upgrade anyway, even if it's at almost twice the price of the previous Ti... *shrug* Gonna be fun to see some real benchmarks.

News Comments > MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD's Monster Sales
16. Re: Game Reviews Aug 11, 2018, 08:15 peteham

Bought it and played it for a few hours with some friends (or rather tried to, the lobby/party system is atrocious) and I absolutely hate it so far heh. It's a combination of being bored and overwhelmed by all the shit you need to collect. I've been told MH is like that for everyone at first and you have to persevere until it "clicks", but I'm too old and jaded to go through 5+ hours or intense boredom when I could be doing other things with my time. This game just isn't for me I think.  

News Comments > DOOM Eternal Gameplay Trailer
17. Re: Game Reviews Aug 11, 2018, 05:54 peteham

I hated the skill challenge progression stuff of the previous game. Instead of blasting through the levels and have fun it's like having a dumb checklist of "here's the arbitrary things you need to do".

Same goes for collectibles tied to leveling up your health and armor. These two put together (and my slight completionist OCD) slowed the game down to a crawl and made me tire of it before I ever finished it. "Oh I need to do 3 leg take-downs on monster B but there are no more monster B left in the entire level.. Oh well guess I have to restart!".

News Comments > Anthem Gameplay Video
14. Re: Game Reviews Jul 6, 2018, 05:42 peteham

Bishi wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 03:55:
Pretty, but the actual gameplay looks veery dull.
Point mouse here. Hold button down for 10 seconds.
Agreed, but it's almost always impossible to properly gauge the fun factor from a gameplay video with the difficulty set to "demo", anyway. The actual game will no doubt (hopefully) require a bit more in terms of movement, positioning, aim and skill use/timing.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Game Reviews Jul 2, 2018, 05:25 peteham

MattyC wrote on Jul 2, 2018, 05:14:
I agree with what you are saying, but getting to that 'first' ending still felt really rushed to me. I still enjoyed the game a lot, but I got the impression a good bit may have been cut or dropped there to meet a deadline or something.
That's what he's trying to say without spoiling anything though This is more a weird presentation issue on behalf of the game creator than anything else, but the four main playthroughs and endings in Automata aren't alternate endings in the traditional sense. They're chapters or routes. Your "second playthrough" to get ending B will be fairly different from your first.

Essentially, if you've gotten the first ending, so far, you've only seen "Act 1".

News Comments > Apple on Steam Link iOS Rejection
5. Re: Game Reviews May 27, 2018, 14:42 peteham

RedEye9 wrote on May 27, 2018, 13:47:
Apples response translated: We were not getting a big enough cut.
Yes indeedy: "violates a number of guidelines around user generated content, in-app purchases, content codes."

Somewhat ironic, though, considering Steam itself has a content policy which does not allow in-app purchases to circumvent their distribution system, AFAIK.

Goes around, comes around? And thus we ended up with EA games only on Origin... Although in this case, there's no way of circumventing Apple's walled garden.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Game Reviews May 14, 2018, 12:12 peteham

Ravor wrote on May 14, 2018, 09:18:
I assume PUBG is on the #1 because of game sales, but because of key sales to unlock crates. I could be wrong though!
Pretty sure these are actual sales only, and marketplace-stuff isn't factored in at all. Otherwise you could expect to see titles like CS:GO and DOTA here.

711 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo