13 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Wow is right.
Jun 27, 2008, 07:26
F7
Re: Wow is right. Jun 27, 2008, 07:26
Jun 27, 2008, 07:26
F7

Calling the article dumb is in itself 'dumb'. The author eloquently argues his point, one that is irrefutable historically speaking, and the only counter-argument you dolts can come up with is that, 'It's dumb.' Kudos to you guys! I'm sure corporate entities are knocking down your doors to employ you geniuses!

If any of you had the slightest clue about colonization, it's place in history, and it's ripple effects (racism in America, land grabs in Zimbabwe which has lead to the current issues over there, etc.) that are felt in contemporary times, you'd react differently. But by and large I think that the reason you reacted the way you did is simply because you do not have the knowledge to understand the authors' article on a fundamental basis. And if you cannot understand the basic concepts of an argument, nothing that's said will make sense to you.

Shut down the PC and open a book.

Re: Wow...
Jun 23, 2008, 08:07
F7
Re: Wow... Jun 23, 2008, 08:07
Jun 23, 2008, 08:07
F7

"Wherever you are George, hope we can hook up and have a few beers and spliffs one of these days."

He's nowhere. He's dead in the ground; worm food. He's not living on in some utopian city on the clouds, he's not dining with Richard Pryor at a table laden with all the most decadent foods, ignorant of the health risks of such foods because in that place, health is a nonissue.

George always preached about what bullshit religion was and urged everyone to think for themselves.

If you knew anything about George, you wouldn't have said wistfully, 'Wherever you are...'.

So in the spirit of one of my heroes, FUCK YOU!
This comment was edited on Jun 23, 08:11.

Re: 5 Reasons Robert Brockway is a moron
Jun 16, 2008, 09:00
F7
Re: 5 Reasons Robert Brockway is a moron Jun 16, 2008, 09:00
Jun 16, 2008, 09:00
F7

Re: Hey Mark...
Apr 24, 2008, 08:05
F7
Re: Hey Mark... Apr 24, 2008, 08:05
Apr 24, 2008, 08:05
F7

InBlack, if you think that UT3 is just UT with improved graphics, it's over your head and rather than put your ignorance on display for the world, should just keep quiet and accept that you dislike UT, don't know the first thing about it, and should move on to commenting on games more your style, like Serious Sam or Quake.

The original UT is still on a level that almost all FPS games cannot compete with, including it's own successors.
This comment was edited on Apr 24, 08:09.

Re: Black Professionals...
Apr 8, 2008, 11:06
F7
Re: Black Professionals... Apr 8, 2008, 11:06
Apr 8, 2008, 11:06
F7

Great post zirik and right on the mark.

Ask blacks what their biggest pet peeve is and I'd put money on them saying, 'Being constantly reminded that I'm black.'

Tracy John's article, while under the guise of a case study, did just that. As zirik said, she injected race into an issue that isn't about race. As if the only way for a black to be successful at making video games is to be the 'Spike Lee' of video games. Plenty of whites who are in the game industry are not the 'Steven Spielberg' or 'George Lucas' of video games yet still have successful careers but no articles are fixated on them as if they were an anomaly and need to do things on a grandiose scale in order to be considered capable.

This comment was edited on Apr 8, 11:10.

Apr 8, 2008, 10:10
F7
Re: Black Professionals... Apr 8, 2008, 10:10
Apr 8, 2008, 10:10
F7

I agree TA. The media is largely to blame for perpetuating negative sterotypes of blacks.

However, in keeping with your belief in 'personal responsibility', it's up to people to question that media portrayal and consider the fact that they are being fed a fallacy and swallowing it with little difficulty.

You see, there exists a sad double standard among Americans. They're more than happy to see a black criminal on the nightly news and without a second thought, then label all blacks as criminals...however when a white serial killer gets caught, they don't label all whites as serial killers. Or when a pedophile gets caught they don't label all whites as pedophiles. Or when a cult leader gets taken out, they don't label all whites as crazy cult leaders. And let's face it; the majority of serial killers, pedophiles, and cult leaders are whites.

Americans by and large are an extremely ignorant breed and nowhere is that more obvious than with the racial history of this country. "All Men Are Created Equal..."...yeah, except blacks, latinos, women, gays, Jews, etc...The first 28 presidents voted on solely by white men, the next 8 by white men and women, and finally the last 8 actually voted on by all persons regardless of race or sex.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, has to do with race nowadays, in the eyes of white America writ large. But the obvious question is this: if we have never seen racism as a real problem, contemporary to the time in which the charges are being made, and if in all generations past we were obviously wrong to the point of mass delusion in thinking this way, what should lead us to conclude that now, at long last, we've become any more astute at discerning social reality than we were before? Why should we trust our own perceptions or instincts on the matter, when we have run up such an amazingly bad track record as observers of the world in which we live?

In every era, black folks said they were the victims of racism and they were right. In every era, whites have said the problem was exaggerated, and we have been wrong.

But that's the problem: most whites do nothing in the face of racism. Most of us don't speak up, don't talk back, don't challenge family, friends, colleagues, or anyone else when they engage in racist actions or merely tell racist jokes. We sit back and remain largely silent, or condemn but only with caveats included. No wonder black leaders like Jackson and Sharpton end up being the visible faces of resistance: whites aren't showing up at all, so what are they supposed to do?

At the end of the day, it is white silence and collaboration that has always made racism, whether of the personal or institutional type, possible. If whites had, in larger numbers, joined with folks of color to challenge white supremacy, there is no way that such a system could have been maintained. There is no way that racist persons would be able to spew their venom without fear of reprisal, in most cases. They would know that such verbiage, or racist actions would be met forcefully, and that those engaging in such things would be ostracized. But white silence and inaction has given strength to the racists, whether on radio or in corporate offices, or government positions, or police uniforms; it has emboldened them to act out, since they have long had little reason to believe anything would happen. Slaveowners would have been powerless had the whites who didn't own slaves stood up to them and challenged their evil; so too with segregationists, those who lynched thousands of blacks from the late 1800s to the early 60s, and those who engage in discrimination today. The silent and passive collaborators with injustice are just as bad as those who do the deed, and have always been such. And too often, those folks have been us

Only when whites decide to connect with the alternative tradition of resistance, as opposed to collaboration, will things change. Only when we choose to take our place in the line--however much longer it should be--of antiracist white allies, will we be in a position to lecture folks of color on how they come at the issue. And even then, we'll have far more to learn than to teach in that regard. But until that time, and for however long white folks decide to remain on the sidelines in the struggle, our entitlement to say much of anything sideways to the Jacksons or Sharptons of the world will remain virtually non-existent. Pay some dues, and then maybe you can talk. Until then, shut it down. (Tim Wise)

Apr 8, 2008, 08:33
F7
Re: Black Professionals... Apr 8, 2008, 08:33
Apr 8, 2008, 08:33
F7

Cutter, the only thing your post shows is how profoundly little you actually know about black people.

Your assumption, your STEREOTYPE is that black people are nothing more than rap listening thugs and so their heroes are 50 Cent, Snoop, etc.

When if you actually KNEW black people, instead of basing your opinion on what you see of them on TV, you would know that simply is not true. Michael Eric Dyson, Cornell West, Amiri Baraka, Jesse Jackson, Dick Gregory, Sheila Jackson Lee, Maya Angelou, etc.

The simple reason that contemporary society does not have a person such as MLK, Malcolm, Eldridge, etc. is because history does not exist in a vacuum. You have to understand the era that these men lived was during the fight for Civil Rights. The fight to give blacks and minorities the most basic of human rights that white people had been enjoying since the inception of America.

Contemporary America does not have a problem as blatantly obvious as that. Don't get me wrong, there are still many obstacles minorities face such as institutional racism, and US Census Bureau, US Department of Justice, and US Department of Commerce statistics certainly indicate as much, but there is no large and blatantly obvious movement to undertake where a figure like MLK would come to the forefront of a struggle against injustice.

Just do yourself a favor and don't speak on racial matters because it's obvious how stunningly uneducated and ignorant on the matter you are.

If you would like to change though and learn some stuff, read some books by Michael Eric Dyson and Tim Wise.

Signed,
A white guy with a clue

Re: No subject
Mar 3, 2008, 09:54
F7
Re: No subject Mar 3, 2008, 09:54
Mar 3, 2008, 09:54
F7

Wait, wait...

Let me get this straight...

People who voluntarily PAY for LIVE are now going to boycott it because they are unhappy with it?
This comment was edited on Mar 3, 09:59.

Re: Hey Microsoft
Feb 20, 2008, 09:09
F7
Re: Hey Microsoft Feb 20, 2008, 09:09
Feb 20, 2008, 09:09
F7

Mass Effect, Gears of War, and Bioshock are all on the PC. These are the three biggest titles I would even consider a 360 for, but since I already have a gaming PC, I'll just play them on my PC. And just like Halo 1 & 2, you can bet Halo 3 will come to the PC.

PS3 has games neither the 360 or PC will get. Littlebigplanet, Metal Gear 4, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, SOCOM, The Agency, DC Universe, God of War 3, Killzone 2, Ratchet & Clank 5, Resistance: Fall of Man 1 & 2.

Microsoft is right, games also sell consoles. However when those same games are being released on the PC, for me it makes that console obsolete.

I'm ecstatic with my PS3. Updatable Blu-Ray player, part-time Linux box (love using Ubuntu on a 50" plasma), and exclusives no other console or PC will see.

Re: Devil may cry 4
Jan 25, 2008, 09:16
F7
Re: Devil may cry 4 Jan 25, 2008, 09:16
Jan 25, 2008, 09:16
F7

Situational Statistics rule!

The Advocate - Doesn't matter. You still payed for wireless controllers, charging towers, and a Live pack. All things that are included in the PS3.

You can't take a bottom of the line no frills version of the 360, spend close to $200 on accessories, try to claim the $200 in accessories wasn't 'necessary' (well, I'm sure the $50 Live subscription was), and then compare it to a PS3 where all that stuff is included. That's retarded.

In addition, you can't bring your server box and your LAN into the discussion either. You needed that several thousand dollar setup just to get media sharing functionality out of your 360. You are in the minority. Most people do not have a setup such as yours. For people that don't have such a setup, the PS3 everything your over-bloated home media network does. In fact, it could be argued that you spent thousands of dollars on a setup that the PS3 could have done for under $500 bucks.

Not only that, but after putting Ubuntu on my PS3, I also utilize it as an email server, web server, and media server. All accessible from anywhere in the world.

Oh yeah...for free too.
This comment was edited on Jan 25, 09:20.

Or better yet...
Nov 21, 2007, 10:24
F7
Or better yet... Nov 21, 2007, 10:24
Nov 21, 2007, 10:24
F7

Kill yourself for playing with dolls even though you're years past puberty.

Loser.

Oct 5, 2007, 07:33
F7
Re: No subject Oct 5, 2007, 07:33
Oct 5, 2007, 07:33
F7

Someone needs to do an MMO with TF2 type graphics. Less work on realism more work on gameplay and content.

I don't care how realistic you make the game. It's still a video game and I'm not going to believe it.

Sep 13, 2007, 08:26
F7
Re: No subject Sep 13, 2007, 08:26
Sep 13, 2007, 08:26
F7

Crysis will be SM2.0 compliant.

13 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older