Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Przemek

Real Name Przemek   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Soulburner
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 15, 2007, 13:24
Total Comments 70 (Suspect)
User ID 43517

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > Romero's BLACKROOM Kickstarter Paused
42. Re: Romero's BLACKROOM Kickstarter Paused Apr 29, 2016, 17:05 Soulburner

So Romero made only one bad game and it still follows him to this day
I think it's a good decision to pause the kickstarter and create a gameplay demo video. That's exactly what I wanted to see before backing (or not) this project.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DOOM Single-Player Video
39. Re: DOOM Single-Player Video Apr 29, 2016, 10:22 Soulburner

It all looks weird, because:
- there's not enough blood. Even when there is some more blood occasionally, it's still not enough
- monsters gibbing... there aren't enough gibs and they do not create splashes of blood on walls and floors. Even Quake 1 was more bloody with just a few square blood particles than this
- monsters' bodies disappearing pretty quickly
- how many areas will be "kill all the demons before a door opens"? I didn't watch the whole video but I think I saw a few areas like that. That's not Doom. That's Serious Sam/Painkiller.
- getting experience, upgrading suit, upgrading weapons, that just sucks

- thankfuly, the glowing enemies which can be finished off in melee can be turned off. I wonder if the health/ammo stuff flying out of demons can be stopped from glowing so much
- and yes, why the hell would a demon drop health packs or ammo if it doesn't use such health kits or ammo?

- couldn't hear the audio of the game, I hope the sounds are good and dynamic. Make the weapons loud and not sound like a pellet gun.

- double jump. Why?

- I hope the story is good and interesting. I know their emphasis was on killing demons but I want a good reason to keep doing it before I get bored

- probably Snap Map only and no mod tools of any kind. No mods of any kind. No truly custom maps. No fan made remakes of the classics.

Of course, the final opinion must be based after playing the game, but so far... I don't think I'm buying Doom. It's not an oldschool shooter at all. It's a modern shooter and the only oldschool element being futuristic base corridors instead of open world s**it.

Wow, I didn't realize I'd write so much negative stuff about this game

News Comments > John Romero's BLACKROOM Kickstarter
46. Re: Quake Apr 26, 2016, 10:20 Soulburner

I love the schizo design of Quake. The history of its development is very interesting and it sucks so many ideas were scrapped. It would be cool if they'd somehow dug out old assets and released them, just for educational and historical values. John did release some stuff he found, like original .map sources, some hand drawn level design, a scrapped part of a map... I think he has more but not enough people demand it
Doombringer wrote on Apr 26, 2016, 09:03:
(...)I mean really, who remembers Quake for any of its design i.e. enemies or weapons, like we remember Doom or Duke 3D?
I do I love the monster design, I love the level design, the textures, the sounds... pretty much everything. Hell, I even like the simplistic weapon design. It was also probably the last game with true centered weapons - not covering a significant part of the side of the screen and allowing gameplay without the need for the crosshair (and with any aim assist disabled also). Anyone who used a firearm of any kind in real life knows that you position your body in such a way you always keep the weapon at the center of your eyesight. Maybe not when you're running, but that's too much realism for a shooter like this

I wonder if this project would be funded and start with full production... what are the designers opinions about centered weapon models.

This comment was edited on Apr 26, 2016, 11:24.

News Comments > John Romero's BLACKROOM Kickstarter
13. Re: John Romero's BLACKROOM Kickstarter Apr 25, 2016, 17:50 Soulburner

I'm excited about this but will hold off before backing the campaign, I'll wait for more info. People recall the Daikatana fiasco, but the history of its development proves it was not a bad game project, it just suffered from bad development decisions (switching engines, full rewrite after a few months of coding, etc), inexperienced artists and other crap. It doesn't mean John Romero shouldn't try again. He is also not the producer on this, so there's someone else overseeing the project and keeping John focused

If anyone can bring the oldschool FPS shooter back... I'm afraid it's not the current id Software. It's people like John Romero and Adrian Carmack who are truly responsible for how Doom and Quake look and play like and I miss these kind of games a lot.

I do hope they manage to create a proof of concept video of some sort to show what we can expect before the kickstarter campaign ends. The concept art showing a castle... it screams of Quake and it seems awesome, but show me more than just concept art.

News Comments > DOOM Trailer
22. Re: DOOM Trailer Apr 15, 2016, 09:34 Soulburner

I tried the beta and... I like it. The gameplay is fast (it did look a bit slow on earlier videos), it's bloody enough, the maps have an "id" look to them. The game looks pretty good (but nothing amazing or groundbreaking) and is not overloaded with special effects which would obscure the view. Most of all: it's fun.

The maps feel a little bit smallish, though. Loadouts and no weapon pickups does kind of suck, too. I hope if they make Quake 5 they do not do the same thing there.

Promoting their new map editor worries me that we will never get any SDK-kind of thing which would allow modders to dig deeper into the game and create interesting levels from scratch, modify weapons, sounds, etc. The amazing thing about Doom and Quake was their modability...

I wonder what is Tim Willits up to these days (he's probably been with id the longest, in the new team), does he even still work at id?

News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer
4. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jul 17, 2015, 19:54 Soulburner

So it's officially not a role playing game anymore. Far Cry 4 probably has more RPG elements than this  

News Comments > Larian Plans Annual Releases
7. Re: Larian Plans Annual Releases Apr 10, 2015, 03:55 Soulburner

I love Divinity: Original Sin but, like others said, I would like a proper sequel to Divinity 2 in the same formula - that third person action RPG was one of the best games if this kind. Just enough skill points to distribute while leveling, good writing, funny dialogs, etc. I like the more tactical and old school approach of Original Sin, but sometimes an action game is needed, too. For the developers also so they can have a little rest from one formula only.

Unfortunately, if I recall correctly, Larian doesn't have good memories associated with Divinity 2. It was publisher funded and they demanded changes to the game that Larian didn't necessarily think were right. Also the sales weren't all that great and I'm not sure they got a cut of the sales from the publisher anyway. Or didn't reach some amount of copies sold to get a bonus. The studio almost bankrupted back then and going indie, finding investors and doing a Kickstarter was what's saved the company.

I'm not sure Larian expanding so much is a great idea but I hope they succeed. I am patiently waiting for their next project to be announced.

News Comments > Newell on Half-Life
65. Re: Newell on Half-Life Mar 18, 2015, 17:14 Soulburner

Comments like:

nin wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 16:53:
Counting money.

make no sense. If it is so, it's a very bad company. They'd earn a lot more money if they fired those 200 (at least!) modellers, 2D artists, level designers, writers, etc. who apparently are doing nothing

harlock wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 15:10:
Soulburner wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 15:08:
...and what about this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d6yBHDvKUw

a joke made at the expense of all fanboys like you
If I'm a fanboy then that makes you a hater! Grin

51. Re: Newell on Half-Life Mar 18, 2015, 15:08 Soulburner

...and what about this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d6yBHDvKUw  

48. Re: Newell on Half-Life Mar 18, 2015, 14:55 Soulburner

Valve hires a lot of developers so it's not like they just live off Steam and do nothing all day long. Area designers, 2D artists, 3D artists, they don't all work on Steam Machines or VR. They are big enough to work on several game projects simultaneously. If they are not working on Half-Life 3 then they are working on something else as big, something that's not Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress, DOTA2 or Counterstrike (all of which I do not care about at all).

I do not understand why they don't just say it. "Yes, we are working on Half-Life 3 but it's still several years away" or "No, we are taking a break from Half-Life but no worries, we'll get back to it" or "We are not planning any Half-Life game in the foreseeable future".

If they are working on HL3 and are planning to add multiplayer support, some sort of cooperative mode, then it sucks. It was a great single player experience and the series should conclude as one.

News Comments > STRAFE Alpha Demo
3. Re: STRAFE Alpha Demo Feb 17, 2015, 13:10 Soulburner

Didn't like the screenshots, didn't like the gameplay videos... said repeatedly it sucks. But... I enjoyed playing the alpha! There's a lot to do to finish the project, obviously, but this thing... it can be fun.  

News Comments > STRAFE Trailer
16. Re: STRAFE Trailer Feb 1, 2015, 06:28 Soulburner

Suppa7 wrote on Feb 1, 2015, 02:59:
Soulburner wrote on Jan 31, 2015, 18:18:
And you know what? There are no more games like this. So many secret areas, possibilities to go a different route than the obvious one, like jumping into the water and going around. No respawning monsters, only occasionally spawning/teleporting in, but when you explore, you can see them walking around the map.

By the time quake came out we were getting overloaded with great games from many genres and attention was splitting between games, like warcraft 2, descent 2, and many others back then. There was an avalanche of first person shoooter games.

What game you remember best has to do with how many games you had experienced before playing the game. I notice that for people who say quake 1 had a high impact on them. IT falls into either 1) Aesthetic preference 2) first time Multiplayer/over the net 3) One of their first experiences with first person shooters.

The above 3 things define how much of an emotional impact Quake 1 had on you. Since I had played a lot of games by that time Quake 1 was pretty meh since I'd already played so many games by that point.

I believe I may fall into the first category then, I love it aesthetically. I did play many games before and my first contact with first person shooters was... some game on Commodore 64 My first "proper" experience with FPP was in the days of Wolfenstein and Doom and I have much more memories and nostalgia related to them than Quake. Still, I consider Q1 the best game of this kind I played and I wish there was a proper sequel to it, but Quake 2 was also great. After, I don't know, 1998, first person shooters started to decline, even though I loved Half-Life 2, Crysis and such, it was never the same. And no modern game which claims to be an old school shooter got near to the likes of Doom/Quake/Duke3D/Blood/etc.

13. Re: STRAFE Trailer Jan 31, 2015, 18:18 Soulburner

I recently started replaying Quake 1. Found an engine mod with as little changes as possible but allowing to play in 1920x1080. With all the pixels, the way it's meant to be!

And you know what? There are no more games like this. So many secret areas, possibilities to go a different route than the obvious one, like jumping into the water and going around. No respawning monsters, only occasionally spawning/teleporting in, but when you explore, you can see them walking around the map. Modern shooters mostly have enemies who instantly see you and attack. I love searching for keys and buttons that open locked doors... That's the kind of game I would love to play today. I hope Doom 4 returns to that at least a little bit.

Current plan is to play Quake, Hexen II, Quake 2 and Heretic II

1. Re: STRAFE Trailer Jan 30, 2015, 18:00 Soulburner

Early pre-alpha footage or not, it looks... bad. It seems to be impossible to make a classic Doom/Quake like FPP shooter today, which is kind of weird.

And maybe except for Minecraft-style pixels, there's nothing throwback about this game except for VHS style teaser (which was cool).

News Comments > Flight Simulator X Lands on Steam Next Week
7. Re: Flight Simulator X Lands on Steam Next Week Dec 10, 2014, 11:18 Soulburner

I'm really interested in what these guys can do next with this and FSXI. I also wonder what the original devs of Flight Simulator are up to...  

News Comments > Another RPG Revival Planned by inXile
4. Re: Another RPG Revival Planned by inXile Dec 5, 2014, 10:20 Soulburner

Arcanum?  

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Specs
22. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Specs Oct 10, 2014, 20:15 Soulburner

I can't understand why people make a correlation between file size and game length. It's like saying Dragon Age: Origins sucks because it's 19GB and it's a shorter game than Baldur's Gate 2 which was like, what, less than 2GB?

While such sizes may be a problem when downloading a digital edition on a connection with monthly download limits, I don't see why 26 GB would be a problem when 2TB hard disks are not a thing of the elite.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
8. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 20, 2014, 17:34 Soulburner

Congratulations to Larian for Divinity: Original Sin! Acquired my copy on Steam a few days ago and I love every single second of it Allthumbsup  

News Comments > Next DOOM Details Next Year
20. Re: Next DOOM Details Next Year Jul 19, 2014, 19:06 Soulburner

I believe John Carmack, while he was still at id, said the team wishes to return to the first Quake game. I think Wolfenstein: The New Order was received well enough by reviewers and fans, so if Doom 4 also does well, a Quake reboot is very likely. But that's only my opinion - it's likely the id team has no idea what they will be doing next (although I do remember John Carmack saying on twitter that they were working on another, unannounced project simultaneously with Doom 4 - which was obviously halted or cancelled when Doom's development faced problems).

Not showing the Doom 4 video to the world is irritating, but I think I understand Zenimax here. It's just not ready to be shown to the public. It's easier to explain to a few hundred people at QuakeCon that the game is far from being complete (perhaps there were obvious bugs, placeholder items/textures/etc or even simply unfinished elements) and a lot may change than to release the video online where the Internet won't understand it's a pre-pre-pre-alpha-proof-of-concept material and declare the game as shit.

To be honest, the most interesting thing to me regarding Doom 4 (you can call it "just Doom", but it's Doom 4, live with it ;)) is the technology. We know nothing about id Tech 6 - what new features it has (I think the only thing we can be sure of is physically based materials, which is being implemented by all other major graphic engines) and how it compares to id Tech 5. I miss Carmack's keynotes.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2014, 11:21 Soulburner

False awakenings are a normal occurrence. It may not be common but it's not rare either and no reason to be worried. It's just your mind is awake and the body isn't - sometimes the mind wishes to wake up but the REM phase is still on, so it may create a dream about it (we wake up rather regularly, so it's easy for the mind to generate such a scenario).

It's also a good "dream sign" people use to induce lucid dreaming. Maybe you should try it - it's fun!

70 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo