Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 5484 (Guru)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
33. Re: etc. Aug 7, 2017, 15:13 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Aug 7, 2017, 02:29:
NKD wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 19:45:
I honestly don't give a fuck about these types of microtransactions. In fact, bring it on. If you can milk the idiots dumb enough to buy them instead of milking me, go for it. People flipped a lid about the shit you could buy in Mankind Divided, but lo and behold the game threw that shit at you for free and didn't pressure you at all.

And if they turn a 30 hour game into 100 hour grindfest if you don't buy said microtransactions, are you going to just grind it out?

Depends on what the reward for that time spent is. If it's not worth my time then I won't bother with it and won't feel bad for not having done so.

You could easily flip it around and say people are turning a 100 hour game into a 30 hour one by buying shortcuts. It just depends on the ratio of time invested to reward gained, or fun to be had.

So far I've purchased precisely zero things from any in-game shop, in any game that wasn't an MMO. And I've never felt at all like I was missing out because of it. So, if some weak-willed schmucks want to pay these companies so that I don't have to, so be it.

Doors and corners, kid. Doors and corners.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
23. Re: etc. Aug 6, 2017, 22:08 NKD

Fletch wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 20:36:
Rilcon wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 15:15:
More features are always all well and good but the money to make them has to come from somewhere.
You do realize that when we buy the game, we give them money, don't you?

That $50-60 we've been giving them for 30 years means less and less every year, while the cost to make the games goes up every year. For a while, they offset this by simply selling more copies because the gamer base was growing. Then they had to actively make the games more accessible to sell even more.

But we don't see those huge jumps in AAA gamers anymore. So, where are they making up the extra money if they aren't raising the price of the game itself? Microtransactions. Or 'Deluxe' editions that have some shitty toy or some other useless stuff that will get hardcore fans to buy it but without making most gamers feel like they are missing anything.

People hate sticker shock. They hate to see prices go up. So this leaves them with really only alternative strategies for making more money that are easier for consumers to swallow.

News Comments > etc.
20. Re: etc. Aug 6, 2017, 19:45 NKD

I honestly don't give a fuck about these types of microtransactions. In fact, bring it on. If you can milk the idiots dumb enough to buy them instead of milking me, go for it. People flipped a lid about the shit you could buy in Mankind Divided, but lo and behold the game threw that shit at you for free and didn't pressure you at all.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 5, 2017, 01:27 NKD

Fucking fantastic episode. Perhaps the best one yet. I'm even more hyped to watch it in non-shit quality on Sunday. (This is a 360p leak from the place that does the censoring for India/Pakistan markets)  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 4, 2017, 15:15 NKD

VaranDragon wrote on Aug 4, 2017, 15:02:

There is nothing wrong with her. She is a sociopath.

Uhh wat.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 4, 2017, 13:31 NKD

Man whatever is wrong with that girl I hope she can get some treatment. We don't need people like that out there. What she did to her boyfriend was fucked up.  

News Comments > Play Just Cause 3 for Free
7. Re: Play Just Cause 3 for Free Jul 26, 2017, 14:58 NKD

Creston wrote on Jul 26, 2017, 12:41:
Just Cause 3 was a HORRIBLE disappointment after the EPIC Just Cause 2. This despite the fact that it played better, controlled better, had better vehicle physics, and pretty much every gameplay hook was better than in JC2.

Every single thing in the world was just copy/paste. Everything looked exactly the same, no variation, no cool areas to discover, no areas that were put in just for the sake of making the world look nice, nothing.

Total 100% failure in open world design.

Download it for free, play it tonight for a few hours, and you will have seen everything there is to see in JC3.

To be honest, I don't remember JC2's world being any better. They are both extremely large worlds with a lot of nothing to see.

News Comments > Evening Patches
2. Re: Evening Patches Jul 26, 2017, 09:57 NKD

GothicWizard wrote on Jul 25, 2017, 21:25:
GTAO lost me when they do very little to crack down on exploiters and people using cheat tools. Can't justify spending a dime more when the devs let their game be the wild west. They could force use of punkbuster or something similar but don't. I suppose as long as the mindless kiddies keep using daddys credit card to pump money into the game there is no real motivation for RS to do much aside from lip service.

I had abandoned GTAO for the same reason. But I found a little community that uses clever gaming of the R* matchmaking and vetting of friends lists (along with a few firewall rules) to keep sessions mostly free of randoms. Since then I've had a blast.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 18, 2017, 11:59 NKD

mag wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 20:47:
Cutter wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 18:28:
I always knew Twitter was for dumb people. Glad they've proven that beyond any question now.

Trump's access to Twitter will be the savior of democracy. November, 2020, without Twitter: "I mean, I remember hating Trump, but I don't remember why. This other guy is new and different and I fear change. I'll vote Trump again."

Nevember, 2020, with Twitter: "I mean, I remember hating Trump, but I don't--" "The NSA (BIG DUMMIES) won't let me tell Putin that the nuke code is 1-2-3-4-5! SAD!" "Oh, right, that's why."

Trump knows all about nukes! Or so he claims...

RetardInChief wrote:
Look, having nuclear—my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart—you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I'm one of the smartest people anywhere in the world—it’s true!—but when you're a conservative Republican they try—oh, do they do a number—that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune—you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged—but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me—it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are (nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what's going to happen and he was right—who would have thought?), but when you look at what's going on with the four prisoners—now it used to be three, now it’s four—but when it was three and even now, I would have said it's all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don't, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years—but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us.

News Comments > Agents of MAYHEM Trailer
1. Re: Agents of MAYHEM Trailer Jul 17, 2017, 21:31 NKD

Hah Pierce.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 16, 2017, 19:32 NKD

If George Romero doesn't come back as a zombie I will be very upset.  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
2. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 15, 2017, 17:53 NKD

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 15, 2017, 09:38:
Probably because SMS 2-factor is really 0-factor, due to SS7 attacks. The advice nowadays is to NEVER use SMS for 2-factor anything security wise.

Yeah, I've heard the same. Honestly I don't think I've ever been in a situation where the only 2FA option available to me was SMS. There's always been some other method available, so I've never really used it to begin with.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 14, 2017, 17:54 NKD

Wallshadows wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 13:55:
Mars is a lost cause anyway. What would we do when we get there? Pat ourselves on the back, poke the soil a bit, learn what we already know and later become abandoned like the Moon?

If anything, shift that budget in to one of the many moons which actually have reasons to be further explored.

While the destination is somewhat debatable, Mars is considered to be the easiest target, and the one we know the most variables about.

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 14:13:
Yeah, I have to agree. Other than "because it is there", there isn't much reason to go to Mars. If we ever get the technology to do some true terraforming, then it would make sense. I don't see happening in the next 100 years. Maybe it is poor perception on my part, but the rate of change in technology seems to be slowing some in the last decade or so...

Manned exploration is good for public image, and not much else. In other words, its the thing that keeps space in the public eye, and keeps the public willing to fund it. Robots are better and less risky, but aren't as sexy to the general public. You need a manned goal to keep things rolling, even if 99% of your launches are probes.

Also the technologies developed for manned space travel sometimes lead to intermediate technologies that can be used for other stuff here on Earth.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Crashes
3. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Crashes Jul 14, 2017, 15:27 NKD

ForgedReality wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 14:58:
NKD wrote on Jul 14, 2017, 13:28:
This is evidently fixed, but GTA Online was unplayable for almost the entirety of yesterday, except in the morning.

They should make this a feature. One that crashes hackers the second the server detects that a client is trying to dictate the state of another client. 3 crashes in one day = perma-ban. Then they could lower the price of in-game shit due to all the hackers having to buy new keys for the game. Win-win.

Some hacker put weird egg things on everyone in the lobby I was in a few days ago. I was quite proud of my egg, but the next time I died it vanished. Other times the hackers aren't quite so benign.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Crashes
1. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Crashes Jul 14, 2017, 13:28 NKD

This is evidently fixed, but GTA Online was unplayable for almost the entirety of yesterday, except in the morning.  

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Free Trial
9. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Free Trial Jul 14, 2017, 13:20 NKD

Don't bother with the single player, the first planet is literally the most boring one. Just play multiplayer.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jul 13, 2017, 19:32 NKD

Shouldn't they find actual women to keynote that thing instead of bridge trolls?  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 13, 2017, 02:30 NKD

Cutter wrote on Jul 12, 2017, 21:19:
Gee, you mean VR was just another repeat fad like 3D? Lol!

No, read the art... oh... nevermind. Carry on.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
44. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 12, 2017, 00:22 NKD

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 11, 2017, 23:40:
A 3:00 am donnie dump Tweet hurricane coming up.

THE COLLUSION IS COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE!!!

Also I wouldn't read too deeply into anything Reagle posts. Look at his post history and it speaks for itself. The man is deeply disturbed, and he doesn't post much anyway.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Jul 11, 2017, 19:57 NKD

Haha, yeah, we'll see about that Kit.  

5484 Comments. 275 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo