Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 5185 (Guru)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
25. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 20, 2017, 21:23 NKD

GothicWizard wrote on May 20, 2017, 20:02:
yes you lost a $8 hr job flipping burgers but gained a $18+ service repair job or a $30 robotic engineer job.

But you didn't gain those things. You gave up a hell of a lot more than one $8 an hour job to get a repair tech and an engineer employed.

It's not 1:1. It's not even close. Not by number of jobs, nor by amount of income. And the jobs don't go to the same people. Some engineering job going to some guy who already had an engineering job somewhere else is small comfort for the 100 people some factory just laid off.

We have to recognize that automation kills jobs, and that the vast majority of people who lose their job to automation aren't going to be in a position to immediately find some amazing replacement job. Since automation is inevitable, and there's no reason to think any job is safe from automation in the long term, we need to start finding real solutions.

You are being watched.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. May 20, 2017, 18:17 NKD

The SJW crowd has gone so far off the rails in their hunt for diversity that they are actively sabotaging it.

At this point , it's safer and less controversial to just make your game a bunch of boring straight white males. The Nazis and 4channers won't jump down your throat for "shoe-horning" diversity in, and the SJWs can't accuse you of cultural appropriation or nitpick your characters to death for not being perfect representations.

Activism is nice, but when your activism actually pushes people back towards the status quo, it's time to re-evaluate.

You are being watched.

22. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 20, 2017, 18:03 NKD

Creston wrote on May 20, 2017, 13:52:
Bullshit. Pay a good wage and good benefits, and you'll have fucking thousands of applicants.

While I think some industries are just being cheap-skates, not every job or position has the same revenue earning potential for the company.

A good wage and good benefits could very well be a financial disaster for some businesses. Some jobs are shitty to do, which means you have to pay people more to want to do them. But at the same time these are often jobs that don't generate a lot of revenue per worker, so you can't really afford to pay them enough to really draw them in.

It's no surprise that those are the jobs getting automated out of existence first. No one wants to do a shit job for shit pay unless they are straight up desperate.

The average person thinks they get paid according to the level of effort their job entails, when in fact they are being paid according to how much their effort is worth to the company's bottom line.

I'm not exactly a big pro-business guy, but even I have to concede that expecting businesses to keep hiring humans to do automatable jobs, even if it means paying them more than the job is really worth, is a bridge too far.

You are being watched.

12. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 20, 2017, 15:24 NKD

Yeah, our capitalist system has just enough of the right type o regulation to ensure the financial survival of the big dogs at the top, but not enough to keep them from screwing everyone over.  

You are being watched.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
53. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 12:53 NKD

Kxmode wrote on May 19, 2017, 10:50:
Dacote wrote on May 19, 2017, 07:39:
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar, well put.

A gentleman and a scholar wouldn't wish for the death of anyone.

We can't all be as virtuous as you. We don't have the advantage of magic underwear and door-to-door religious sales experience.

The fact of the matter is that the closest we can come to objective morality is the sum total of suffering on this planet. Usually when someone dies, there's an increase in suffering. Their family, friends, and so on.

But some people, like Roger Ailes, are responsible for a lot of suffering. Ailes was instrumental in the current divided state of our country. He made a business of playing on peoples racism, bigotry, and fear for ratings, money, and success. He is THE key figure in the editorialization of our news media. There are others, but he was the big dog.

The only time a villain dying is a bad thing is when it makes room for an even worse villain.

You are being watched.

32. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2017, 16:23 NKD

Kxmode wrote on May 18, 2017, 15:50:
NKD wrote on May 18, 2017, 15:43:
But on the other hand Roger Ailes dead. Small comfort though because that guy should have been killed by some time traveler from the dystopian future.

Wishing death upon someone is the lowest form of human expression and a lack of empathy for the surviving family members.

Don't care. His death is a net gain for humanity, and would have been a lot more of a net gain had it happened sooner. He was human garbage. I'm not going to pretend every life is sacred, or equal, or even worth the oxygen is sucks down just to virtue signal how empathetic and kind I am.

When someone dies who I think has put more suffering into this world than they removed, I will absolutely be happy about it.

You are being watched.

28. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2017, 15:43 NKD

Chris Cornell dead which makes me very sad especially as a Washingtonian. Not many left from that scene.

But on the other hand Roger Ailes dead. Small comfort though because that guy should have been killed by some time traveler from the dystopian future.

You are being watched.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed May 17, 2017, 08:22 NKD

jin wrote on May 16, 2017, 20:41:
i trust valve a HELL of a lot more than i trust polygon.

i suspect polygon is just not cool with having an entity that they and their ilk can't bully into censoring content they don't like.

f polygon.

This doesn't even make any sense. You aren't paying money to Polygon or entrusting your entire game library to them. Who gives a fuck if you "trust" them? I think Polygon is a shitty site, but it's just an opinion piece. They aren't reporting anything new that requires us to trust their legitimacy. Hell even their opinion here is hardly a controversial one: Everyone knows its a bad idea to put all your eggs in one basket, but the convenience factor for both users and developers has so far outweighed that.

You are being watched.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 15, 2017, 22:35 NKD

Zenimax is the most sue happy company in gaming.  

You are being watched.

News Comments > Square Enix Selling IO Interactive
8. Re: Square Enix Selling IO Interactive May 12, 2017, 21:41 NKD

Jerykk wrote on May 11, 2017, 23:46:
This is unfortunate. The latest HITMAN was great. Quite possibly the best in the series. Unless Square plans on selling the IP along with IO, this basically means HITMAN is dead.

It looks like Square is going to start focusing most of their western developers on Marvel licensed games. Disappointing because I've actually enjoyed most of their western games.

Supposedly IO Interactive is keeping the Hitman IP and season 2 will be in 2018.

You are being watched.

News Comments > Mass Effect Series on Hold?
42. Re: Mass Effect Series on Hold? May 11, 2017, 13:11 NKD

Flatline wrote on May 11, 2017, 12:27:
NKD wrote on May 11, 2017, 10:51:
I mean I've got more hours in it than I probably have in all the previous ME games combined...

I'm just going to point out the game has been out 51 days and you've spent 24.5 days *in game*.

Which means basically you've spent as much time in ME:A as spent sleeping, eating, working, and the rest of your life.

Like... do you work? Because you're spending on average around 11 hours day playing ME:A, and unless you only sleep like 3 hours a night I don't see how you could sleep, eat, and work in the 13 hours a day on average you have left over.

Either that or you just hit pause when you walk away from the game and like those 8 hours of sleep are time spent "in game".

Most of that time is multiplayer. And no I don't work, I've been disabled for about 4 years now, been divorced for 10 years and never had any kids. Lots of time to play games.

You are being watched.

36. Re: Mass Effect Series on Hold? May 11, 2017, 10:51 NKD

Agent-Zero wrote on May 11, 2017, 09:10:

yep... so it looks like you went pretty far there..

just so we are clear

It's definitely my favorite Mass Effect but it's still got a good number of problems, particularly in the polish department. Though I don't agree with the sheer amount of venom people throw at it. It's a very fun game, but it's not GOTY nor is it going to be considered the best Mass Effect by the vast majority of ME fans.

I mean I've got more hours in it than I probably have in all the previous ME games combined...

And like I said, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one around here who gave it high praise, so it's far from true that everyone here was circlejerking the game and CJ was the lone voice of dissent like he wants to pretend.

You are being watched.

20. Re: Mass Effect Series on Hold? May 11, 2017, 03:02 NKD

Kxmode wrote on May 11, 2017, 02:07:
CJ_Parker wrote on May 11, 2017, 01:42:
Score CJ_Parker 1 vs. BluesNews AAA cheerleading fangirl brigade 0

Middlefinger Middlefinger Middlefinger

Not sure if you're boasting, seeking validation, or both.

Neither, he's just retarded.

Not a single person here claimed Andromeda was anywhere near GOTY. I think the highest praise I've seen of it is from myself, and I'll only go so far as to say the combat is fun, the multiplayer is fun, and I'd like them to finish the story.

You are being watched.

10. Re: Mass Effect Series on Hold? May 10, 2017, 23:32 NKD

Creston wrote on May 10, 2017, 21:26:
Andromeda was simply a mistake. Own up to it, leave it a stand-alone game, return to the Milky Way, and return to what made ME great.

Fuck no. Not until they finish up the story they started with Andromeda. They don't have to do a trilogy but they need to at least finish what they started.

I'm definitely not buying another of their games if they leave me hanging on a story, regardless of how good it might be. Who's to say they couldn't have another poorly performing game and cut me off once again?

You are being watched.

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2017, 11:27 NKD

Choachy wrote on May 10, 2017, 10:35:
This is a rhetorical thinking out loud thought, but why do so many people have problems with contractors? We had an awful experience with a siding and window contractor. And it seems no matter who you talk to, if they've dealt with a contractor, they've had a bad contractor experience. Is it the nature of the business? Or rather, how they do business? Do they try to juggle too much? Is it an intelligence thing?
It seems like if you are honest, diligent, and skilled enough you could make a KILLING as a contractor because the bar is set so low by all the bad ones out there.

I think a large part of it is that most people only rarely need a contractor of this sort. They haven't established a process of finding the right person for the job. They don't know where to look. Often times, like with Blue's experience, they rely on a personal recommendation.

But unless that personal recommendation is from someone who has used the contractor two dozen times, or from someone who knows their shit with regards to the work being done, it doesn't actually mean much. Even a shitty contractor can do a fantastic job once in a while. So if my buddy recommends me someone who they used one time, I'm not giving that a lot of weight. Their good job they did could easily just be a fluke.

I'm not even sure I'd know what to do to get a good contractor. Most of the people I used in the past are retired now, because I knew them through my grandfather who was a Business Manager at a trade union. These days there's a lot of resources for finding good contractors online, but also a lot of noise, and paid ratings etc.

You are being watched.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins Revealed via Leak?
2. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Revealed via Leak? May 9, 2017, 21:47 NKD

Creston wrote on May 9, 2017, 21:37:
? I read about it being set in Egypt and saw screenshots somewhere a few weeks ago. Not sure why Eurogamer thinks it's massive news.

In any case, Egypt could be very cool. Apparently there's very little Assassins vs Templars around either. Maybe they'll finally ditch the BS modern world crap too.

Latest leaks say modern day is still there. Also there will be brief segments in other time periods (Which they couldn't explain without getting into the story.)

You are being watched.

3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 7, 2017, 10:33 NKD

Slick wrote on May 7, 2017, 01:55:
why not 16 million DPI? no one uses more than 1600... 2400 max.

Eh plenty of people use higher than that. Here are the DPI levels I use on my mouse.

3200 is my desktop usage sensitivity, and typically what I use in games as well.

But yeah high DPI isn't really the thing to look for on a mouse. You want to find out if it has a good sensor. The sensor they cite in the article is a good one but they say it's a "custom" version so who knows.

You are being watched.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
7. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Apr 22, 2017, 22:56 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 13:59:
Russian man gets longest-ever US hacking sentence, 27 years in prison.

And yet people convicted of manslaughter routinely get half that.

I hate to skirt closely to giving a number value to human life, but this dude didn't hack some website to have Dickbutt on the front page. He committed zillions of counts of fraud and hundreds of millions of dollars of damage. I think that's enough to warrant some serious time, even if no one died.

You are being watched.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Trailer
17. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Trailer Apr 16, 2017, 23:39 NKD

Orogogus wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 22:37:
NKD wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 21:13:
Hell, there hasn't even really been any notable crowdfunding efforts to make space sims.

The rest of the post looked reasonable -- how many people out there even have joysticks any more? -- but was this closer sarcasm?

Yes it was a shot at Star Citizen

You are being watched.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Trailer
15. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Trailer Apr 16, 2017, 21:13 NKD

VaranDragon wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 06:18:
Why is no one doing a Tie Fighter sequel/remake?

Seems pretty obvious to me why that is.

How many flight/space sims get made these days? Very few. And the ones that do are relatively low budget affairs made by small studios and sold to small audiences. Studios way too small to even get in the door as far as getting licensing for Star Wars.

Big studios don't "waste" time and resources on tiny budget games, and the flight/space sim market is too small for a proper AAA game. Why make a space sim and sell it to a niche market, when for the same price you can make a shooter and sell it to everyone and their cousin?

As much as I'd like to see a proper TIE Fighter sequel or remake, I think the fact that there hasn't come close to being a proper successor even outside the Star Wars license goes to show how much money developers think there is in such a project.

Hell, there hasn't even really been any notable crowdfunding efforts to make space sims.

You are being watched.

5185 Comments. 260 pages. Viewing page 34.
< Newer [ 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo