Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 5404 (Guru)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Interviews
1. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 6, 2017, 20:06 NKD

If you're offended by Wolfenstein portraying a Nazi run America and giving you the chance to clean it up: You're an American Nazi. It's that simple. Maybe you're in denial, but we've been killing Nazis in video games for a long ass time now, there's no reason to start getting offended now unless you've started to identify with the Nazi label.

There's no other reason you should be offended at the safest possible villain choice next to the undead.

You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins System Requirements
17. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins System Requirements Oct 6, 2017, 17:28 NKD

Inclined to agree with Kxmode on this one. The only thing more meaningful than "High @ 1080p" would be actual uncompressed video footage with framerate counter, and that's not really within the scope of System Requirements.

If you're really so worried, wait for reviews, or at least the Nvidia optimization guide that seems to accompany all Ubisoft game releases, like you should be anyway.

You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

News Comments > etc.
18. Re: etc. Oct 6, 2017, 17:26 NKD

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 17:02:
Personally I find the dirty Chinese restaurant game pretty funny. It seems our health department is shutting one of those down about every month. Mexican restaurants are also common on this list. There are a lot of clean ones of course, but that does not excuse the dirty ones.

"When ethnic restaurant owners send us their food, they aren't sending us their best. There are rats, roaches, severed fingers. And some, I assume, are edible meals."

"We need to shut them all down until we can vet them properly and figure out what the hell is going on!"

News Comments > Discord Adds Video Chat
1. Re: Discord Adds Video Chat Oct 6, 2017, 17:20 NKD

I love Discord. Got to uninstall all my other stupid voice chat programs like Skype, TS, Mumble, and Ventrilo, because literally everyone I play games with or talk to on voice has moved over.

It's great for text chat too, and the few IRC communities I was still in moved over as well... so my IRC client vanished too.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Oct 6, 2017, 12:10 NKD

Also can I just point out how this dude is crying about how they should they "let the free market decide" and conveniently ignoring that bad press, and responding to bad press, is a big part of the free market? It's not like the government said "Yo, you can't sell this shit."

Homie, you're not a supporter of the free market if you don't support the chance at occasionally being out-done by over-sensitives ninnies.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Oct 6, 2017, 11:51 NKD

Timmeh wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 11:34:
Holy crap our world is descending into leftist progressive PC hell.

Who cares if your game is offensive! Release it and let the free market decide. "this game hurt my feelings"... give me a damn break.

Every one of you leftist antifa worshiping fools on this site are partially responsible for this garbage.

You sound pretty triggered. And what's this about the "free market"? Are you a globalist cuck in bed with the deep state?

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 5, 2017, 23:27 NKD

SNES Classic seems like a solid thing. Hard to justify with emulator at my disposal but it'll get a lot more eyeballs on some of the classics.

One thing that bugged me in the video is homeboy said that pixel perfect is the closest to how it would have looked back in the day. That's actually not correct. SNES output a 4:3 image, while using 8:7 internally, i.e. nearly square.

Some game artists actually accounted for the horizontal stretching in their sprite design. Some did not.

Final Fantasy VI, for example, has sprites designed with the stretch in mind. Playing at the internal aspect ratio gives you something that looks squished compared to what you would have seen back in the day. Super Mario World on the other hand is still "squished" but actually looks better for it since ovals become circles and it clearly was designed for play at 8:7.

Many people playing SNES games on emulators never bothered using any features that restored the 4:3 aspect ratio, and are used to seeing the 8:7 image. So really Pixel Perfect is there for people who are used to what you'd get in an emulator by default, rather than for the authentic experience.

News Comments > The Evil Within 2 Requirements
1. Re: The Evil Within 2 Requirements Oct 5, 2017, 23:10 NKD

*places down astroturf in place of the normal grass*  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins System Requirements
3. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins System Requirements Oct 5, 2017, 23:09 NKD

Was expecting something more brutal myself... looks like they are making at least some attempt to keep it sane. I like what I've seen so far of the changes to the world and gameplay, and I've been wanting an Egypt setting since the beginning.

Fingers crossed for non-suckage.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Oct 4, 2017, 22:31 NKD

As much as I would love watching the streaming... frankly it would encourage shitty playing to the camera. People with absolutely no experience would just watch and then misinterpret everything and misrepresent it on Facebook.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
61. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2017, 23:03 NKD

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 3, 2017, 12:10:
NKD wrote on Oct 3, 2017, 02:35:
RedEye9 wrote on Oct 2, 2017, 19:43:
It will take someone with a spine in Congress for this to be cured. It happened in Australia, it can happen here.

You're pretty naive if you think Congress is the thing stopping any kind of gun buyback or ban. What's stopping it is the American people don't want it.
Not naive, the majority have spoken and they are ready for change,
http://www.pollingreport.com/guns.htm

It's just a matter of time https://youtu.be/ruYeBXudsds

http://www.gunviolencearchive.org

People support things like more background checks and restrictions on the mentally ill from owning guns. Which, by the way, no one thinks will significantly lower gun crime. It's a feel good measure that is generally acceptable to people because it won't impact legitimate gun owners.

But it won't impact illegitimate gun owners either. There are too many guns just floating around outside of any regulatory system.

If you want to stop gun violence, you don't do it by implementing a couple new laws that don't do shit and pretending you've solved the problem.

That's the danger of a feel-good solution that doesn't solve anything. It stops the conversation because everyone declares victory and moves on.

Eventually we'll get a couple restrictions passed, and people will ignore the fact that it doesn't impact the gun homicide rates. Just look at the conversations people are having. "Ban automatic weapons!" Meanwhile nearly all gun crime is committed with cheap ass semi automatic handguns or revolvers.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2017, 02:47 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Oct 2, 2017, 22:10:
Ammo has a shelf life though. Guns don't.

The shelf life of ammo is incredibly long if properly stored. Longer than the shelf life of its owner. Keep it in a cool dark and dry place and its good for decades, vacuum seal that shit and it's good for a couple hundred years.

Also, there's a case to be made that the 2nd amendment doesn't apply to ammo.

Logically yeah, there's a case to be made. But legally, not really. "Arms" doesn't refer specifically to just individual firearms, or components thereof. The SCOTUS is never going to interpret the intent of the 2nd Amendment as allowing people to own empty useless guns. 2A interpretation isn't going to shift drastically in any direction.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 3, 2017, 02:35 NKD

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 2, 2017, 19:43:
It will take someone with a spine in Congress for this to be cured. It happened in Australia, it can happen here.

You're pretty naive if you think Congress is the thing stopping any kind of gun buyback or ban. What's stopping it is the American people don't want it. Yeah, there are mass shootings now and again, but that makes up 1-2% of gun violence. The rest of gun violence occurs to people, and by people, the average American doesn't give a fuck about.

Here's the simple breakdown of the situation in the US:

The 2nd Amendment exists, and the precedent for how it is interpreted is not likely to change regardless of how the SCOTUS is divided up in terms of politics.

Repealing the 2A would require a level of demand from the American people that just doesn't exist. You can't force Consitutional amendments through with some procedural fuckery against the will of the people, unlike normal legislation.

With the 2A in place, there can be no widespread gun confiscation that will pass muster in SCOTUS. And the Australia solution, a voluntary buyback, is a non-starter because of both American gun culture and funding. First, no one would participate because of our gun culture. Second, even if there were significant participation, where's the money going to come from?

Gun violence will continue to decline at the rate it's been declining for a while, and there's little or nothing that can be done to speed it up short of repealing the 2nd Amendment or drastically re-interpreting it. Neither of which are feasible enough to hope for even in the slightest.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 2, 2017, 13:42 NKD

Terrible shit. Evidently the shooter was a normal 63 year old white guy, retired accountant, with no criminal history and barely a parking ticket on his record.

No clear motivations yet apparently. Wonder what set him off? These are the worst kinds of shooters because it's hard to imagine how you could possibly prevent someone who appears to be an upstanding citizen with a clean record from doing this.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
10. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Oct 1, 2017, 23:36 NKD

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 1, 2017, 21:20:
NKD wrote on Oct 1, 2017, 20:45:
If there was any justice the Native Americans would have all our asses deported, so I'm not going to complain.
That before or after we stopped their mass genocides, slave trading, and tribal rape culture?

And replaced it with our own mass genocides, slave trading, and rape culture? Pretty sure whatever genocidal rapist slavers got here first still get to claim ownership. Let's not pretend like colonial America was the height of moral supremacy. In fact it was mostly people too religiously backwards and morally bankrupt to be tolerated in Europe.

There is zero moral justification for European colonization of America and displacement/extermination of the natives. Not much we can do about it now, but we can at least not bitch about small inconveniences visited on us by Native Americans.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
6. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Oct 1, 2017, 20:45 NKD

If there was any justice the Native Americans would have all our asses deported, so I'm not going to complain.  

News Comments > Emulation and the Law
15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 1, 2017, 13:04 NKD

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 1, 2017, 12:14:
Fuck Yeah! Lock Atlus up! Lock Origin up! Lock Blizzard up! Lock Valve up! Crooks, the lot of 'em!

Kill the Coastal Elites!! Rabble rabble rabble

News Comments > Microsoft Allegiance Revival
1. Re: Microsoft Allegiance Revival Sep 30, 2017, 15:01 NKD

I think I remember participating in a beta for this game way back before its original release.  

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Sep 29, 2017, 18:21 NKD

ForgedReality wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 17:47:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 12:25:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 11:03:
The gamification of gaming.

A keen observation.

A while ago we had a similar discussion, and came to the conclusion that eventually you'd pay full price for an essentially empty game: all the necessary components would be available via microtransaction/DLC.

No. Profit drives trends, and bobody'd buy that shit.

Yeah... there's a push back eventually. It's just never where some of us would like...

People gripe about DLCs and other secondary monetization, but the only reason we have it is because no one could tolerate the base price of a game going up. New PC games, and even console games, used to vary wildly in price as I'm sure many of us remember. I remember paying $80 for some major PC titles. And that's the equivalent of like $150 in today's money. Then it sort of leveled out, but after doing so never really kept up with the increase in price of every other entertainment product.

Development costs for games continue to rise, but the bubble for "simply sell more copies at the same price to make the numbers match up" burst a long time ago. Most of the growth is in mobile games AFAIK.

14. Re: Is coffee healthy? Sep 29, 2017, 18:05 NKD

Dicks out for Hef  

5404 Comments. 271 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo