Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 5801 (Guru)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Mar 23, 2018, 01:50 NKD

Man living just long enough to see your lifes work go under... that's fucking rough. Makes me kind of glad I haven't accomplished anything and don't have anything to lose. Will make it a lot easier to go when the old grim reaper comes to visit.  

I keep warning you. Doors and corners, kid. That's where they get you. Humans are too fucking stupid to listen.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Vivendi Selling Ubisoft Stake
8. Re: Vivendi Selling Ubisoft Stake Mar 20, 2018, 21:54 NKD

Tencent isn't too bad. Better than Vivendi.

I think I'm going to start learning Mandarin. China is definitely the future as far as I can tell.

I keep warning you. Doors and corners, kid. That's where they get you. Humans are too fucking stupid to listen.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2018, 10:46 NKD

El Pit wrote on Mar 15, 2018, 10:32:
That story about Dylann Roof's sister raises some questions about the parents of the Roof kids.

Yeah. Seems like she's one step away from doing a mass shooting herself. Plus she is super classy:

Roof’s post said she hoped “it’s a trap and y’all get shot” and “we know it’s fixing to be nothing but black people walkin out anyway,

News Comments > etc.
13. Re: etc. Mar 14, 2018, 04:57 NKD

Still no word from the local Trumpians... guess they must have turned off their computers and stopped going to gaming sites in order to please the God Emperor.  

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Mar 13, 2018, 16:48 NKD

Trump defense squad where you at?  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 12, 2018, 15:24 NKD

In a move of solidarity with their President, I propose that all Trump supporting gamers voluntarily give up their video games and stop posting on all gaming related sites.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2018, 18:58 NKD

Has anyone else had problems changing their avatar? I've tried changing mine 2 or 3 times, it says it has been submitted, and then after a while my old avatar reappears.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
15. Re: removed Mar 6, 2018, 08:13 NKD

FFS  

8. Re: Into the Black Mar 6, 2018, 00:02 NKD

SirKnight wrote on Mar 5, 2018, 17:12:
There's definitely a big black dong with Martin's name on it in a prison somewhere.

Not too much dong slinging going on in Club Fed I imagine.

News Comments > On CHRONO TRIGGER PC Issues
4. Re: On CHRONO TRIGGER PC Issues Mar 5, 2018, 12:26 NKD

Yeah, I really don't understand how they can put so much love and effort into some ports, and then just shit out garbage ports of others...  

27. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 5, 2018, 03:13 NKD

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 4, 2018, 23:41:

I doubt humanity will be around for that particular issue.

Yeah, even if we have descendants alive in 2 trillion years, they won't be even remotely human. They may not even be organic.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
16. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Mar 4, 2018, 15:50 NKD

Has WaltC ever actually read or responded to anyones posts here? He just spews his opinion and leaves.  

22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 4, 2018, 11:00 NKD

Why even engage with Kxmode on scientific topics? He won't argue honestly, and if (when) he gets the science wrong, he'll fall back on some good ol' Biblical Literalism that not even most Christians buy into. His argument is always the same "We don't know everything, so we know nothing."

I'm not a physicist, but it's likely impossible to know what happened "before" the Big Bang, and that's just a clickbait title not reflective of what Hawking said anyway.

Even if we imagine the existence of some kind of multiverse-spanning meta-time that allows for a linear sequence of events that led to the Big Bang, we can't even make any educated guesses. We can only know things we observe, or things we can infer mathematically from things we observe. The Higgs boson is a good example. We hadn't even observed it, but the Standard Model predicted it would be there, and we set out to prove or disprove it.

That's science. Make a prediction, test the prediction. If the model you are using keeps passing the test of experiment, you know you are on the right track.

Physics is really just math. If there's something that doesn't add up, you figure out what would need to go there to make it add up, and then try to find it to see if you are correct. Kxmode mentioned dark matter/dark energy. Well, dark matter is more like dark gravity. It may actually have nothing to do with baryonic matter. We don't know its nature, but we can observe its effects and make calculations based on those effects.

But knowing what happened "before" the Big Bang is like trying to solve a math problem where you don't know, and can't know, ANY of the numbers, or even how many variables there are, or even the mathematical rules involved.

It is thought by many physicists that the rules that govern our universe are largely arbitrary, based on random events in the earliest moments of the Big Bang where certain fields "froze" in a certain way that set the constants. There could be universes where time is weird and there is no concept of cause-and-effect. There could be universes where there are no stars or planets because gravity doesn't exist.

There are always going to be limits to what we can know, or to what degree of precision we can know something. 2 trillion years from now, there will likely be a scientist somewhere in our universe that has set about observing the night sky. Because of inflation, this scientist will not have the same data we do. The cosmic microwave background, and all the surrounding galaxies, will have red-shifted beyond the point where they can be observed by any possible technology. (The wavelength would be wider than the galaxy.) That scientist will only be able to observe their own galaxy. A very large galaxy made up of all the galaxies that were close enough to each other that the gravity pulling them together won out over the rate of inflation. Because of the inability to observe Type Ia supernovae, or other extremely distant phenomena in other galaxies, it's unlikely that this scientist could ever find evidence that inflation even exists. His observable universe is too small in scale for the effects of inflation to be observable. And without that, he cannot mathematically infer that there were ever other galaxies, and would likely never be able to find out about the Big Bang.

That knowledge would be forever locked away from him unless he found some kind of data preserved by civilizations that existed during our time. And even then, he wouldn't be able to independently verify the data.

But we're a long ways off from running out of things to learn.

8. Re: Re: Out of the Blue Mar 3, 2018, 15:28 NKD

That's a pretty clickbait title. That's not what Hawking said at all.  

6. Re: Into the Black Mar 3, 2018, 02:21 NKD

Cutter wrote on Mar 3, 2018, 00:19:
She's one of those weirdos with painted on eyebrows. That's always creepy. Her house is probably decorated in complete rococo style with tons of bric-a-brac about the place. She probably views herself as some latent neo-bolshevik aristocrat.

Sounds like you'd have a lot in common.

News Comments > Trump Calls Game Meeting
14. Re Mar 2, 2018, 02:23 NKD

Trump taking guns and games away? LOL. Does this idiot even know who his base is?  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 28, 2018, 21:41 NKD

Instagram image of Lego assault rifle, threat lead to 14-year-old’s arrest.

I was wondering what Space Captain had been up to.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2018, 20:18 NKD

DangerDog wrote on Feb 28, 2018, 19:12:
Turn that frown upside down libs, Trump says he wants to grab guns without due process.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/968953652483379202

Bwahaha, fucking genius. "Durrrr I'm a Republican and I'm going to alienate my base on purpose!" It's not like anyone on the left is going to switch to supporting Trump based on this, so it's just a net loss.

What a fucking idiot. Even Democrats who need to run for election don't suggest taking guns without due process. 4D Chess? The guy couldn't manage 1D chess.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
5. Re: NSA boss: Trump won't pull trigger for Russia election hack retaliation. Feb 27, 2018, 23:23 NKD

DangerDog wrote on Feb 27, 2018, 20:59:
3. God bless Trump

I'm not religious, but I grew up in a Christian household and by God's standards Trump is going to burn in hellfire. He checks every box of what an ungodly and unchristlike man is.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 27, 2018, 14:43 NKD

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 27, 2018, 12:57:
You know you'd be the first to go. Why do you hate yourself so much?

It's not the first time he's threatened violence on other posters, either. Maybe I should call the cops in case he's planning something? They might take online threats more seriously these days. Then again they might just ignore it.

5801 Comments. 291 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo