Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 5166 (Guru)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Sep 29, 2017, 18:21 NKD

ForgedReality wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 17:47:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 12:25:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 11:03:
The gamification of gaming.

A keen observation.

A while ago we had a similar discussion, and came to the conclusion that eventually you'd pay full price for an essentially empty game: all the necessary components would be available via microtransaction/DLC.

No. Profit drives trends, and bobody'd buy that shit.

Yeah... there's a push back eventually. It's just never where some of us would like...

People gripe about DLCs and other secondary monetization, but the only reason we have it is because no one could tolerate the base price of a game going up. New PC games, and even console games, used to vary wildly in price as I'm sure many of us remember. I remember paying $80 for some major PC titles. And that's the equivalent of like $150 in today's money. Then it sort of leveled out, but after doing so never really kept up with the increase in price of every other entertainment product.

Development costs for games continue to rise, but the bubble for "simply sell more copies at the same price to make the numbers match up" burst a long time ago. Most of the growth is in mobile games AFAIK.

You are being watched.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Is coffee healthy? Sep 29, 2017, 18:05 NKD

Dicks out for Hef  

You are being watched.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Sep 29, 2017, 12:32 NKD

People like to tell themselves its just kids with their parents credit cards, but it's an adult, more often than not. The percentage of parents that just let their kids buy whatever the fuck they want on their credit cards is not really high enough to sustain a business model...  

You are being watched.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 27, 2017, 18:03 NKD

MrBone wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 18:14:

It sure is easy to forgive when you aren't one of his victims, right? I mean, you could have been blasted by the cops over-reacting, etc. No biggie.

That's why the justice system has you tried by a judge and/or jury, not the victim. If victims were in charge of sentencing, every crime would be punishable by death or mutilation.

You are being watched.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2017, 10:34 NKD

Rest in piss, asshole.  

You are being watched.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 27, 2017, 03:18 NKD

Simon Says wrote on Sep 26, 2017, 22:36:
Old trekkie here, watched the first 2 episodes on space channel ( canada )... And well, it breaks with canon too many times to count, frankly, it looks like its in the Kelvin timeline, not the Prime timeline. My guess is they worked on a lot of stuff assuming it would be Kelvin then they saw how much of a backlash from the base there would be and tried to jury-rig something quick and dirty and it left so many holes that swiss cheese would be proud.

It's set in the original timeline about 10 years before TOS. The tie-in novel has Pike captaining the Enterprise.

But frankly none of this bothers me because Star Trek canon is a tangled mess of contradictory bullshit anyway. Plus it was pretty clear that they aren't worshipping a deity or anything but just circlejerking about Kahless just like the TNG Klingons.

And to be more frank, most of the fans of older Trek are dead or aged out of the streaming service demographic, so I don't think we were a consideration to begin with.

You are being watched.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 26, 2017, 12:39 NKD

Yeah his arrest was 3 and a half years ago and he's been keeping his nose clean and getting his shit together, so 9 months is probably fine.  

You are being watched.

News Comments > Fortnite Battle Royale Launches
4. Re: Fortnite Battle Royale Launches Sep 26, 2017, 12:12 NKD

I saw some videos of people playing it. Actually looks pretty fun. The smaller map and less accurate weapons makes it a little more intense than PUBG.  

You are being watched.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 26, 2017, 04:12 NKD

In the US it's adviseable that any adult male not interact with, or even look at, anyone they suspect could be under the age of 18. Don't get a job where you have to interact with children or teenagers, either.

Guys who work around children are basically assumed to be sex offenders because of the bullshit "stranger danger" nonsense that gets drilled into peoples heads.

Some teacher gets falsely accused of some bullshit because a student doesn't like that they got failed in the class. But meanwhile the only person molesting the student is some shitty family member.

It's funny, the "stranger danger" thing actually kind of became true in a fucked up way. Adult males have to be afraid of being around a child they don't recognize, rather than the other way around.

You are being watched.

News Comments > Tentative SAG-AFTRA Deal
3. Re: Tentative SAG-AFTRA Deal Sep 26, 2017, 03:55 NKD

The transparency provisions are the ones that are going to benefit us as players the most. You know how Tricia Helfer did the voice for EDI on Mass Effect? She said in a recent AMA on reddit that she knows literally nothing about the game's storyline because she didn't even know what she was working on at the time. She sat down and lines would come on the screen, and she would read them, without context.

This is one reason why we so often hear sentences that just don't sound quite right. Voice actors are being presented with lines out of context and I've heard also out of sequence.

All to prevent "leaks." Of the game's production, and especially of its story particulars. Leaks which literally any employee could do, most likely without getting caught.

The reason that doesn't make any sense is because it isn't actually about leaks. They don't want performers to know they are playing a big role in a big title and trying to negotiate for better pay.

Imagine a job offer where they don't tell you what you're going to be doing other than a vague job description, but expect you to agree to a salary.

You are being watched.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2017, 08:53 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 04:36:
If you teleport Star Trek style, will you still be looking through your eyes?

There is no "you" that is separate from your body. Your body will be deconstructed, then reconstructed, and the resulting body will be identical to your previous body, and have all the same memories.

Whether its an original or copy only matters in so far as the copy is imperfect. If it is a perfect copy, and the "original" is destroyed, then it is, for all intents and purposes, the original. To an outside observer, there's still a "you" doing all the things you would have been doing. From the perspective of the "copy" they are you. Those are the only two perspectives that exist.

I think people envision this situation where they get transported, get killed, then their consciousness floats in blackness while some copy gets to live their life.

You are being watched.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
2. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Sep 25, 2017, 08:44 NKD

Still better than the disaster that is human drivers I suppose...  

You are being watched.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 25, 2017, 08:40 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 04:28:
NKD wrote on Sep 24, 2017, 21:52:
Still J.R.E.

What were you expecting, the Spanish Inquisition?

Okay I guess my reference was a BIT obscure.

You are being watched.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2017, 04:14 NKD

Discovery is actually pretty solid. I just worry about getting invested in it knowing that the streaming exclusivity thing is likely going to kill it.  

You are being watched.

News Comments > Ultima Online Turns 20
18. Re: Ultima Online Turns 20 Sep 25, 2017, 04:13 NKD

I mostly played MUDs before UO. There was some Star Trek one I was fond of.  

You are being watched.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 24, 2017, 21:52 NKD

Still J.R.E.  

You are being watched.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2017, 21:45 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Sep 24, 2017, 18:47:
NKD wrote on Sep 24, 2017, 17:49:
Re: The Star Trek transporter.

There's no problem because "continuity of consciousness" is an illusion created by our memory. We only remember the past in so far as our memories recall them for us. These memories are inaccurate and often change.

The debate necessitates the existence of some magical nonsense like a soul. Something separate from your body which can become detached when you are transported. If all you are is your body, then you aren't dying anymore than a toaster that's been taken apart and put back together properly. Both still work the same as they did before.

How do you account for identical twins then? Your twin is not you, even though you have the same genetics.

Twins may look similar because of shared genetics, but they aren't a single organism. Twins are no harder to account for than two of the same model of toaster. The illusion of continuity depends on the contents of memory, which in turn depends on the biological construction of the brain, and twins don't share that.

You are being watched.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2017, 17:57 NKD

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 24, 2017, 17:51:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 24, 2017, 17:47:
Firefly: Nathan Fillion celebrates 15th anniversary.

Show still holds up. Browncoats forever!

I loved Firely, and the movie Serenity. However now I can't go back and watch it, because Adam Baldwin is such a piece of shit in real life.

Adam Baldwin is a pretty run of the mill conservative type. I disagree with him on basically everything, but I wouldn't call him a piece of shit any more than the rest of the conservatives in the country. At least I haven't heard of him beating his wife, raping a bunch of women, running dog fights, or doing the other things that normally get celebrities called pieces of shit.

You are being watched.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 24, 2017, 17:49 NKD

Re: The Star Trek transporter.

There's no problem because "continuity of consciousness" is an illusion created by our memory. We only remember the past in so far as our memories recall them for us. These memories are inaccurate and often change.

The debate necessitates the existence of some magical nonsense like a soul. Something separate from your body which can become detached when you are transported. If all you are is your body, then you aren't dying anymore than a toaster that's been taken apart and put back together properly. Both still work the same as they did before.

You are being watched.

News Comments > Ultima Online Turns 20
7. Re: Ultima Online Turns 20 Sep 24, 2017, 17:38 NKD

Had a lot of fun shitting out stupid screenshots with HyperSnap watermarks all over them during beta. Played on LS after launch. There have also been player-runs servers for UO since like 1999. I've played on a few over the years.  

You are being watched.

5166 Comments. 259 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo