Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 5161 (Guru)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2017, 23:56 NKD

Vaccines may not cause autism but judging by the single-minded obsession and resistance to facts that anti-vaxxers exhibit, I have determined that anti-vax causes autism.  

You are being watched.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 12, 2017, 20:48 NKD

If it was American Airlines it would automatically beat the fuck out of you and steal your seat.  

You are being watched.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 12, 2017, 19:08 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Oct 12, 2017, 16:42:

Barring a total societal collapse, self driving cars are not only inevitable, but a social benefit, saving 40,000 lives and billions of dollars in accident claims. It will also be disruptive with millions of jobs lost and entire industries like car insurance winking out of existence.

I agree. Anything where the problem is tweaking and improving software will inevitably happen. Machine intelligence is simply a matter of information processing, and will always be improving unless we lose our technology entirely. It may not always be at the same rate, nor will people always be able to predict that rate, but improvements will continue indefinitely.

People can argue about when those things are likely to happen, of course. However if it's inevitable, then preparing is never a waste. It'll have to be done eventually.

Anything that can be accomplished by thinking and processing information will one day be the realm of machines. Whether that's in 50 years or 500 is irrelevant. There's nothing magical about naturally evolved biological brains and/or bodies that make them inherently superior indefinitely. On the contrary, being limited by the slow pace of evolution almost guarantees we are out-paced and obsoleted in most types of labor by our own technology.

You are being watched.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Oct 12, 2017, 03:06 NKD

theglaze wrote on Oct 12, 2017, 02:12:
“While there’s an element of chance in these mechanics, the player is always guaranteed to receive in-game content (even if the player unfortunately receives something they don’t want). We think of it as a similar principle to collectible card games: Sometimes you’ll open a pack and get a brand new holographic card you’ve had your eye on for a while. But other times you’ll end up with a pack of cards you already have.”

I hate to say it, but that makes sense to me..

Yeah that does makes some sense now that I think about it.

You are being watched.

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Oct 11, 2017, 22:02 NKD

Does anyone smell burnt toast?  

You are being watched.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Oct 11, 2017, 21:41 NKD

Companies shouldn't waste their money on Denuvo if they can't provide results. I understood it when it actually kept pirates away for months, but now it seems so pointless.

I suppose the license fee is probably a rounding error in the overall game budget, and they don't really give a fuck anyway since most of their sales are on console.

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 2017, 22:03.

You are being watched.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2017, 18:19 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 17:35:
Second, few got fat eating whole foods. Our processed food transition over the past several decades has been a major culprit in our obesity. Sweetened beverages and other sweets are a huge part of that, but also chips, candy, cookies, instant ramen, chicken nuggets, sugary cereals, etc. etc. also contribute mightily and could hardly be considered "healthy."

So your plan is to tax the shit out of anything other than the produce section?

I've got a better idea, maybe we can ration food packs to people with a proper balance of carbs, fat, and protein at the correct calorie level. You only get a certain amount, and anyone found running a grey market for food they don't eat can be jailed, or perhaps killed and turned into healthy food.

"Got a problem? Legislation'll fix it!" is not really a good motto for solving problems. I can sit here all day and point out ways in which someone will easily skirt your legislation/tax proposals. If people want to eat unhealthy, there's nothing you can do about it except point out to them it's a bad idea. There's a reason the only people who support these junk food taxes are rich hipsters who shop at Whole Foods.

Rich people would be unaffected by these taxes. The poor have to do what the government says, only get to eat a prescribed amount of "healthy" foods because they can't afford anything else, and only the rich get to color outside the lines because no amount of tax is going to make their food budget too high.

This comment was edited on Oct 11, 2017, 18:34.

You are being watched.

News Comments > Steam VR Room Space Getting Roomier
8. Re: Steam VR Room Space Getting Roomier Oct 11, 2017, 17:33 NKD

I don't care about room tracking either. I have a very small home and frankly I don't have any rooms with enough space to take advantage of it. I'd rather see improvements for desk usage.  

You are being watched.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Released
33. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Released Oct 11, 2017, 17:24 NKD

Started up Shadow of War and took a look for myself. So far my personal experience echoes what reviewers and other posters have said. There is no pressure to participate in paid loot crates.

Much like the Mankind Divided single player item shop, the game throws so much shit at you that you never need it.

You are being watched.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 11, 2017, 17:15 NKD

Quboid wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 17:04:

It's got to be tough, counting all these people in these pictures. Hey DangerDog, have you managed to confirm whether or not Trump was telling the truth about having the largest crowd?

Clearly doctored. And even if it isn't doctored, Hillary's emails. Also Sharia Law. Or something.

You are being watched.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 11, 2017, 16:30 NKD

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 16:19:
DangerDog wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 16:16:
Can we get a view count on their videos?
“thousands” of views
lol
You're the last person anyone would turn to when looking for a "fake" news filter.

lol

Give him a break he's been busy searching pizza joints for child molestation cartels.

You are being watched.

27. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2017, 16:20 NKD

"And if that wasn’t scary enough, the researchers found that drinking just one or two serving of pop a day can increase the risk of fatal heart disease or heart attack by a whopping 35 percent."

And how does that compare to getting an equal amount of sugar from another source? A source outside whatever tax scheme you've dreamed up.

As the "War on drugs" has taught us, outright bans are prone to failure. And the poor are exactly the people who can least afford to come down with these kinds of illnesses. Raising the price on these kinds of foods and drinks will encourage them into healthier eating.

Will it? I'm a fatty myself, to varying degrees depending on my success with reducing calories, but I don't have a sweet tooth or consume that much sugar at all. How did I get fat? Well I switched from football to online video games after high school, and by eating too much of normal, healthy food.

There's no tax that's going to stop me from making two grilled cheese sandwiches instead of just making one and eating half at lunch and half later in the day. That's all up to me and whether I can muster up the willpower to change my habits.

If someones body is accustomed to eating a certain number of calories a day, they are going to keep eating that number of calories or higher in order to not feel hungry. If you raise the price of one food, they'll either just spend more on food, or switch to another to save money.

You are being watched.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2017, 16:05 NKD

Verno wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 15:13:

Personally I track my macros because I lift and I'm going for volume so they are pretty important. Other people I know just count calories and they're perfectly happy. Whatever works for someone and gets them away from the bucket of KFC is cool beans with me.

Yeah a lot of folks struggle with cutting calories in the first place without adding homework for them. I agree that starting with counting calories is good enough. If you're eating less calories than the amount you burn while sitting on your ass, then you can sit there and watch TV and jerk off while you lose weight. That's not all there is to being healthy, but frankly losing excess weight is more important than those other considerations

You are being watched.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2017, 11:40 NKD

Cutter wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 10:21:
Considering the harm pop causes their should be a national tax on it the way Mexico does it. It works. Just like smokers who got outraged when they started taxing the shit out of smokes they'll either get smart and quit or pay the price. No one is saying you can't drink pop, but if you choose to you're just more of a burden on the system and ergo, should pay more tax to support said system.

This is some of the stupidest shit I'll read today I'm sure. Unlike cigarettes, consuming sugar water in moderation isn't going to increase health risks more than any other nutritionally bankrupt food. There is no safe amount of cigarettes you can smoke. Even periodic second-hand exposure drastically increases your odds of lung cancer, stroke, and heart attack.

Anyway, these sorts of taxes are stupid because they disproportionately impact the poor. In essence, its just a way to make money off poor people. If a product is truly too dangerous to let people purchase it, ban the sale of it.

Plus, what about the million other ways people over-indulge? Do we tax the shit out of coffee to punish caffeine addicts? Caffeine pills? Food that is calorie dense? What about high calorie drinks that aren't soda?

"Soda taxes" in Mexico lowered consumption of soda, but did it lower calorie consumption? Did it reduce obesity? There is no data on that yet. In all likelyhood, people just spent their money on other junk food or drinks. You can't force people to eat healthy, or even make it difficult for them to eat unhealthy.

You are being watched.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins Season Pass and Free Content Outlined
10. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Season Pass and Free Content Outlined Oct 11, 2017, 10:14 NKD

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 07:26:
NKD wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 04:15:
WTF Slick, those hippos...

Hippo lives matter™

Pretty sure I saw that on a sign when I was watching a Youtube video about some feminist meet up.

You are being watched.

4. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Season Pass and Free Content Outlined Oct 11, 2017, 04:15 NKD

WTF Slick, those hippos...  

You are being watched.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Oct 10, 2017, 23:29 NKD

Too much time in the movie spent on Present Day, and too much material crammed into the script to do it any justice.

Assassin's Creed, along with most video games, is TV series material, not movie material. Needs a longer form to really make it work.

You are being watched.

2. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Season Pass and Free Content Outlined Oct 10, 2017, 23:26 NKD

Detailing Season Pass content before release? Nice. Is this a thing companies are doing now? I usually don't go in for season passes so I don't pay attention to them.  

You are being watched.

28. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Released Oct 10, 2017, 20:28 NKD

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 19:57:
I think it is fair to bring up the issues, but please don't tell me what I should or shouldn't buy. The general boycott thing doesn't work either. They only thing that will work is organic behavior and ROI analysis. If people are going to buy DLC, loot boxes etc, ROI will be there and there is nothing for us to do. Either you do or you don't. If it bothers someone that much, don't, don't meaning from not buying at all to not buying additions. As for the game, I'm sure it will be fun and FOV will be adjustable in time with patches.

In addition, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone "unringing the bell" when it comes to monetizing something. Once something has been monetized in a certain way, and it's been successful, it remains successful for quite some time until further adjustment is needed.

There needs to be an immediate reaction, and as you said, a hit to their ROI for the project.

It's also ineffective to say "Hey guys, we'll go for it this time, but don't go any further!" because they don't give a shit what you SAY, they give a shit what you do with your money. Saying you won't give them your money is pointless if their research indicates that sufficient numbers of people will in fact buy the product.

It's already too late for a reaction to microtransactions in primarily single-player games. At this point it's simply a matter of how far can they go before it hurts sales?

People here, probably including me at some point, complained about the advent of DLC, the downfall of expansion packs, online requirements for certain game features, etc and swore they'd never buy a game with them. But the masses disagreed, and even the die-hards eventually relented because the alternative was to find a new hobby. Or that was the perception.

The thing about gaming is that it's not a necessity of life. And even if we grant that entertainment in general IS a necessity of life, there is no exploitative monopoly or cartel among purveyors of that entertainment, when it comes to games. (Aside from arguably Steam, but the game creators themselves don't have that.)

The barrier to entry to create a game is small. It requires only available time and a willingness to learn. You can learn everything you need to learn for free without using anything but free software, and you can distribute your game for free. Asking how many game developers are there in the world is like asking how many birds are in flight right now. There's some number, but it's large and always changing. It's probably the least consolidated form of entertainment there is. Movies, music, television, magazines, books, are all incredibly consolidated.

So whats my point? My point is that consumers have all the leverage in this relationship. Publishers can only take as much money as people are willing to give. Even if you aren't willing to give up gaming, you need only give up AAA gaming. Even if you aren't willing to give up PC gaming, there are tons of indie games and free games on PC and more all the time.

If some business model is successful in gaming it's not because of some corporate malfeasance, it's because consumers approve, or at least tolerate, the behavior.

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 2017, 20:43.

You are being watched.

24. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Released Oct 10, 2017, 17:54 NKD

thecakeisalie wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 17:15:
locking the true ending behind a grindwall

This is false, and that's part of the problem. Making up shit just to increase outrage because the truth isn't outrageous enough doesn't actually help in the long term.

Check out RPS or GameSpots review. Even legendarily incompetent-at-gaming game reviewer could complete Chapter IV without tedious grinding or buying loot boxes.

You are being watched.

5161 Comments. 259 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo