Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 5128 (Guru)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 11, 2017, 11:40 NKD

Cutter wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 10:21:
Considering the harm pop causes their should be a national tax on it the way Mexico does it. It works. Just like smokers who got outraged when they started taxing the shit out of smokes they'll either get smart and quit or pay the price. No one is saying you can't drink pop, but if you choose to you're just more of a burden on the system and ergo, should pay more tax to support said system.

This is some of the stupidest shit I'll read today I'm sure. Unlike cigarettes, consuming sugar water in moderation isn't going to increase health risks more than any other nutritionally bankrupt food. There is no safe amount of cigarettes you can smoke. Even periodic second-hand exposure drastically increases your odds of lung cancer, stroke, and heart attack.

Anyway, these sorts of taxes are stupid because they disproportionately impact the poor. In essence, its just a way to make money off poor people. If a product is truly too dangerous to let people purchase it, ban the sale of it.

Plus, what about the million other ways people over-indulge? Do we tax the shit out of coffee to punish caffeine addicts? Caffeine pills? Food that is calorie dense? What about high calorie drinks that aren't soda?

"Soda taxes" in Mexico lowered consumption of soda, but did it lower calorie consumption? Did it reduce obesity? There is no data on that yet. In all likelyhood, people just spent their money on other junk food or drinks. You can't force people to eat healthy, or even make it difficult for them to eat unhealthy.

The solution to the toxicity of identity politics surely isn't to add white identity politics to the mix.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins Season Pass and Free Content Outlined
10. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Season Pass and Free Content Outlined Oct 11, 2017, 10:14 NKD

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 07:26:
NKD wrote on Oct 11, 2017, 04:15:
WTF Slick, those hippos...

Hippo lives matterô

Pretty sure I saw that on a sign when I was watching a Youtube video about some feminist meet up.

The solution to the toxicity of identity politics surely isn't to add white identity politics to the mix.

4. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Season Pass and Free Content Outlined Oct 11, 2017, 04:15 NKD

WTF Slick, those hippos...  

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Oct 10, 2017, 23:29 NKD

Too much time in the movie spent on Present Day, and too much material crammed into the script to do it any justice.

Assassin's Creed, along with most video games, is TV series material, not movie material. Needs a longer form to really make it work.

2. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Season Pass and Free Content Outlined Oct 10, 2017, 23:26 NKD

Detailing Season Pass content before release? Nice. Is this a thing companies are doing now? I usually don't go in for season passes so I don't pay attention to them.  

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Released
28. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Released Oct 10, 2017, 20:28 NKD

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 19:57:
I think it is fair to bring up the issues, but please don't tell me what I should or shouldn't buy. The general boycott thing doesn't work either. They only thing that will work is organic behavior and ROI analysis. If people are going to buy DLC, loot boxes etc, ROI will be there and there is nothing for us to do. Either you do or you don't. If it bothers someone that much, don't, don't meaning from not buying at all to not buying additions. As for the game, I'm sure it will be fun and FOV will be adjustable in time with patches.

In addition, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone "unringing the bell" when it comes to monetizing something. Once something has been monetized in a certain way, and it's been successful, it remains successful for quite some time until further adjustment is needed.

There needs to be an immediate reaction, and as you said, a hit to their ROI for the project.

It's also ineffective to say "Hey guys, we'll go for it this time, but don't go any further!" because they don't give a shit what you SAY, they give a shit what you do with your money. Saying you won't give them your money is pointless if their research indicates that sufficient numbers of people will in fact buy the product.

It's already too late for a reaction to microtransactions in primarily single-player games. At this point it's simply a matter of how far can they go before it hurts sales?

People here, probably including me at some point, complained about the advent of DLC, the downfall of expansion packs, online requirements for certain game features, etc and swore they'd never buy a game with them. But the masses disagreed, and even the die-hards eventually relented because the alternative was to find a new hobby. Or that was the perception.

The thing about gaming is that it's not a necessity of life. And even if we grant that entertainment in general IS a necessity of life, there is no exploitative monopoly or cartel among purveyors of that entertainment, when it comes to games. (Aside from arguably Steam, but the game creators themselves don't have that.)

The barrier to entry to create a game is small. It requires only available time and a willingness to learn. You can learn everything you need to learn for free without using anything but free software, and you can distribute your game for free. Asking how many game developers are there in the world is like asking how many birds are in flight right now. There's some number, but it's large and always changing. It's probably the least consolidated form of entertainment there is. Movies, music, television, magazines, books, are all incredibly consolidated.

So whats my point? My point is that consumers have all the leverage in this relationship. Publishers can only take as much money as people are willing to give. Even if you aren't willing to give up gaming, you need only give up AAA gaming. Even if you aren't willing to give up PC gaming, there are tons of indie games and free games on PC and more all the time.

If some business model is successful in gaming it's not because of some corporate malfeasance, it's because consumers approve, or at least tolerate, the behavior.

This comment was edited on Oct 10, 2017, 20:43.

24. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Released Oct 10, 2017, 17:54 NKD

thecakeisalie wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 17:15:
locking the true ending behind a grindwall

This is false, and that's part of the problem. Making up shit just to increase outrage because the truth isn't outrageous enough doesn't actually help in the long term.

Check out RPS or GameSpots review. Even legendarily incompetent-at-gaming game reviewer could complete Chapter IV without tedious grinding or buying loot boxes.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2017, 17:46 NKD

Bodolza wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 16:59:
No it hasn't. Windows 10 is a major step backwards from Windows 7 both in terms of UI and privacy.

I prefer Windows 10 UI and I don't have any privacy in either OS since the vast majority of the data collected on me is not done by my OS, but rather my usage of the Internet.

Some technical data sent to MS that is probably only ever viewed in aggregate statistical form is the very least of my worries.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 10, 2017, 15:15 NKD

Honestly I've never understood the drama surrounding Windows and how strongly people get invested in fighting over what versions are good and bad. It's worse than asking about someones favorite Star Trek movie or Final Fantasy game. Aside from ME and the pre-SP1 Vista, every version of Windows has been an overall improvement.

I guess it's just a version of the narcissism of small differences. The product is essentially the same thing (on the surface) for over 20 years so every small difference becomes a huge controversy. Combined with the fact that most of the important improvements are under the hood, I suppose it's to be expected.

Still waiting for MS to lock down the platform like they were supposed to do 16 years ago on WinXP, according to people here and elsewhere. Remember when WinXP was going to delete all your MP3s?

21. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Released Oct 10, 2017, 14:19 NKD

Verno wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 14:09:
In terms of this specific game though, my main problem is the gating of content you already pay for.

There is no content gated behind the Paid loot boxes.

Even GameSpot's rather unflattering 70% review of the game points out that the system is non-consequential.

GameSpot wrote:
In our experience with the game, loot boxes purchased with in-game currency only earned us Epic tier rewards, instead of the paid currencyís guaranteed Legendaries. (Editor's Note 10/6 10:50 AM: It is possible to earn Legendary rewards from loot boxes bought with in-game currency, though they occur with less-frequency than Epic rewards.) However, the difference in quality between the Legendary and Epic Orc rewards, in practice, isnít substantially different. And after finishing the game, even with buying a dozen or so 1,200 Mirian loot crates over the course of my adventure, I was still left with over 70,000 Mirian in reserve for buying plenty of more loot boxes. Itís also possible for Legendary items and Orcs to appear randomly in-game, so paying real money only serves as a guaranteed way to get one. Like so many of the other gameís systems, the paid storefront feels less predatory and more like an unnecessary addition.

But to read the controversy about it, you'd come away thinking that entire swaths of the game are locked behind microtransactions and that this is some new level of atrocity. When someone looks into this and realizes it's wildly hyperbolic, they are going to be soured on listening to ANY microtransaction criticism in the future.

19. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Released Oct 10, 2017, 13:46 NKD

Verno wrote on Oct 10, 2017, 13:38:
Criticizing loot boxes in singleplayer games is fine and people should keep up the noise.

People need to do more than make noise, they need to not purchase games so that publishers will switch business models. But that's not going to happen. The market has already decided they are okay with some level of microtransactions.

It seems to me that this business model is attractive to the masses because rich whales with more dollars than sense essentially subsidize the game for those of us who don't participate in microtransactions. Publisher gets more money to cover ballooning dev costs, average player is relatively unaffected and doesn't have to pay any extra.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Oct 10, 2017, 12:50 NKD

Because YouTube is the only place anyone can find videos right?  

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 10, 2017, 12:46 NKD

Everyone losing their spaghetti over the pointless crates. You don't need them, they provide little benefit. In fact I'd say purchasing them is a hindrance because you're basically just paying to not play the game.

People freaking out about them aren't helping. They are just ensuring that the next time a game comes out with microtransactions that DO affect the game, no one is going to listen to us because a bunch of ignorant cocksuckers cried wolf one too many times.

News Comments > etc.
16. Re: etc. Oct 9, 2017, 03:17 NKD

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 02:38:
Somethingsomething assumptions based on words. Enjoying that ignorance of yours. Also enjoying that usual liberal/progressive belief that anyone who disagrees with someone else is a "basement dweller." Maybe next time you could come up with something original? Perhaps you could try tossing in virgin, neckbeard, or something along those lines. It'll really help you get those internet points with someone.

I'd think you're the one concerned with Internet points with your constant circlejerking in T_D, metacanada and MensRights. We don't have points here at Blues.

News Comments > etc.
14. Re: etc. Oct 8, 2017, 23:45 NKD

Beamer wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 22:37:

Is your world that small? Do you ever leave the basement?

Would he be a radical AnCap if he ever left the basement?

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 8, 2017, 19:47 NKD

It is interesting how display technology has sort of stagnated in terms of an effective widespread replacement for LCD. FED/SED tech went nowhere, OLED has burn-in issues and the blue subpixels decay rapidly, and this microLED thing seems like it's a ways off from viability, if it ever is.  

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Oct 8, 2017, 17:15 NKD

Sick Rantorum needs to fuck off.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
28. Re: Evening Interviews Oct 8, 2017, 14:07 NKD

Here's an example of MA's "Liberals" on KiA

Liberals, well known fans of Project Veritas, Stephen Crowder, and oh look some Anti-Semitic dogwhistling.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
7. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Oct 8, 2017, 04:15 NKD

I do love how they always name this legislation something so patriotic and/or innocent sounding. Often times it does the precise opposite of what the name implies it does.  

News Comments > GTA Online Adding Modes and a Bat-Tacular Car
5. Re: GTA Online Adding Modes and a Bat-Tacular Car Oct 7, 2017, 20:09 NKD

To clarify they haven't added any additional heists since the initial 5. Supposedly they were too expensive and time consuming to make relative to player interest in them.

I stopped playing shortly after heists because of cheaters and shit but recently got back into it when I found a community that games the matchmaking system to create safe sessions. Since then they've added primarily multiplayer modes, businesses to run, and a shit ton of vehicles, both run of the mill cars, and weaponized shit. Recently they added a bunch of new planes.

Their content cycle is to release a big update with several new vehicles and usually a new business. They then release the rest of the vehicles from the update once a week on Tuesday, leading up to the next update.

While the updates are generally themed (this recent one, airplanes, with a hangar to store them and summon them from), they do mix in regular cars with every update and sometimes seasonal stuff. The Batmobile is going to be a Halloween thing.

To anyone looking to get back into it... if you plan on playing in random public sessions, play on PS4 or something. PC has too many modders blowing up entire lobbies of people and crashing peoples games. I avoid public lobbies like the plague.

This comment was edited on Oct 7, 2017, 20:21.

5128 Comments. 257 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo