Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 5451 (Guru)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > ESA Takes on WHO Over "Gaming Disorder"
10. Re: ESA Takes on WHO Over Jan 2, 2018, 23:56 NKD

theglaze wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 22:39:

And that can be addictive to the player, and exploited by the developer.

I dunno man. Consequences are a little thin on this one, and the shame or guilt is generally absent as well. The majority of gamers also aren't bankrupting themselves and stealing from others to pay for their game habit. The addiction cycle is almost always characterized by a need for more and more of the activity/substance in order to achieve a high, at the cost of their livelihood.

If we're calling spending a lot of time playing games addiction, then the same could be said for literally any pleasurable activity. We are compelled to seek some degree of pleasure, even if it's just enough to keep us from hanging ourselves from a tree.

While there are certain games that are essentially structured as gambling and designed to milk large amounts of money from people, those are in the minority, and gambling addiction is already very well understood.

"America is like an MMO where an early guild already took 90% of the good farming grounds, boss raids and rares while everyone else is still trying to level up on low-level mobs" -Some Guy on Reddit
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > ESA Takes on WHO Over "Gaming Disorder"
1. Re: ESA Takes on WHO Over Jan 2, 2018, 19:22 NKD

What about television disorder for all the couch whales who sit there eating bon bons and watching soaps and reality TV all day?  

"America is like an MMO where an early guild already took 90% of the good farming grounds, boss raids and rares while everyone else is still trying to level up on low-level mobs" -Some Guy on Reddit

News Comments > New Year's Mobilization
4. Re: New Year's Mobilization Jan 1, 2018, 15:10 NKD

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 1, 2018, 11:56:
The article about removable batteries is face-meet-palm bad.
You can still make a stylish waterproof phone that uses a removable battery.

Yes, you can. If your idea of stylish is a thick phone. But as the article says, that's not what most consumers want. A thin phone that "feels" like it has high quality construction is more important to people. Especially when they replace their phones annually and never need a new battery.

News Comments > New Year's Metaverse
1. Re: New Year's Metaverse Jan 1, 2018, 13:20 NKD

The verified badge is so dumb. It's supposed to verify that the person is who they claim to be. But Twitter treats it like a badge of approval where if someone's identity has been verified, Twitter somehow endorses or condones their beliefs.

But yeah, good example of a Trump supporter right there. Wildly throwing random people into the ever-widening Pizzagate conspiracy.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
44. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 31, 2017, 13:25 NKD

Retired wrote on Dec 31, 2017, 10:13:

No. The US Supreme Court has ruled surveillance that penetrates houses is not legal. ie: Thermal imagers, sound, etc. It violates people's right to privacy.

Dude you were a cop, you should know this is incorrect. In the scenario we're talking about, that doesn't matter. 911 has been called to the address, claiming a serious situation. Exigent circumstance generally makes warrantless surveillance legal in terms of the 4th Amendment.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 31, 2017, 13:16 NKD

Man that girl who died just had a kid 3 months ago. That's so sad. And only a few years after the cops choked her dad to death.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Greedy hooker Dec 30, 2017, 19:39 NKD

ventry wrote on Dec 30, 2017, 18:25:

BTW: When can I expect those nukes to start flying *chuckle*

Did someone say nukes? I'll defer to the DOTUS on this one:

DOTUS wrote:
Look, having nuclear ó my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart ó you know, if youíre a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say Iím one of the smartest people anywhere in the world ó itís true! ó but when youíre a conservative Republican they try ó oh, do they do a number ó thatís why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune ó you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because weíre a little disadvantaged ó but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me ó it would have been so easy, and itís not as important as these lives are ó nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of whatís going to happen and he was right, who would have thought? ó but when you look at whatís going on with the four prisoners ó now it used to be three, now itís four ó but when it was three and even now, I would have said itís all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they donít, they havenít figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, itís gonna take them about another 150 years ó but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us.

21. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 30, 2017, 19:09 NKD

Slick wrote on Dec 30, 2017, 17:29:
People are rightly outraged but I've seen very little in the discussion on how to actually win this fight. "better training" isn't going to cut it, there were multiple levels of failure here.

You're right. Better training isn't going to fix this. It would help a little, but ultimately you need better people in the first place. We also need to realize that when you're relying on humans, mistakes are inevitable: This means that you need to tailor your procedures to make the outcome of those mistakes less invariably fatal.

If we're at the point where some innocent unarmed guy is essentially ambushed with a spotlight in his face and yelled at with confusing orders, it's already gone off the rails, even if he doesn't end up getting shot. It shouldn't even get to that point.

I don't know what the solution is, but I'm sure there are some good ideas. There needs to be some earlier "out" of the situation.

For example, call the fucking house. Say you got a call from a concerned neighbor. Ask to talk to the person, ask em who is in the house, ask if you can speak to the other people in the house. If there is a shooting or a hostage situation, there's going to be huge red flags in how people respond to these requests. If things sound like a dangerous situation is unlikely, tell them you need to send a couple officers to check things out. Have a couple cops that don't look like some experimental Ubersoldat go up and knock on the fuckin door.

If things sound fishy, then yeah, it might be time to bring in the guys in the minigun wielding mechsuits. But god damn, Dear Piggies: use some kind of logic instead of just making these paranoid worst case scenario protocols that don't give anyone a chance to defuse the situation.

11. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 30, 2017, 16:58 NKD

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 30, 2017, 13:56:
Check out this stereotypical Nigerian Prince responsible for 'those' emails.

You can't just link articles that say "wire fraud." You'll give our resident fake Canuckistani-American Lawyer a boner.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
17. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 30, 2017, 16:56 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Dec 30, 2017, 14:19:

The NYTimes is in the tank for Trump, but they're fake news? That softball interview they did with Trump yesterday was journalistic malpractice. At least the WaPo has been doing good reporting this year.

Nah man the interview was solid. Remember, it was an impromptu interview at Mar-a-Lago that the White House didn't even know was going down. Firing hardball questions at someone who can't even put together a coherent sentence is a waste of time. Letting homeboy ramble and sound like an Alzheimer's patient was a good call.

Hardball interviews with Trump are a waste of time because we already know he's a moron and doesn't know anything about the shit he signs his name to.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
13. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 30, 2017, 13:30 NKD

wtf_man wrote on Dec 30, 2017, 11:56:

The "truth" is always somewhere in the middle.

This is a fallacy that depends on the idea that it is always beneficial for both sides of the political spectrum to lie about any given issue. That isn't true. Sometimes, one side stands to benefit from the truth, and the other side stands to benefit from the lie.

For example, the latest Hillary Clinton conspiracy theory, that not even the Republican administration will pursue, is not equivalent to the Trump-Russia investigation that has credible well-respected adults from across the political spectrum looking into it.

I mean the common belief among Trump supporters is that Hillary Clinton is behind a pedophile ring being run out of a pizza parlor, and the DNC had some guy named Seth Rich killed. There is literally zero evidence for any of this, they might as well be claiming Hillary Clinton is a Reptilian and Obama was born in Atlantis. This is not equivalent to some left leaning journalist being a little harsh towards Trump.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
18. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 30, 2017, 02:59 NKD

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 30, 2017, 00:40:
Is this the first swatting death so far in the US?

It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't, but I don't recall hearing about one that actually resulted in a fatality until now.

Yeah I think it's the first. We had been pretty lucky up until this point.

News Comments > CCP Job Listing Hints MMORPG Plans
14. Re: CCP Job Listing Hints MMORPG Plans Dec 29, 2017, 23:41 NKD

Rossafur wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 19:06:
*still waiting for an announcement from them*

Well they've at the very least given a license to Cyanide for their Werewolf: The Apocalypse game they are making.

11. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 29, 2017, 23:13 NKD

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 22:36:
Heroes for not effectively or ethically cleansing the cancerous rot that goes to their very core.

They tried "ethically cleansing" but the handwriting on the instructions was sloppy and they thought it said "ethnically cleansing"

8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 29, 2017, 21:53 NKD

1badmf wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 20:31:
the problem with police is that they're not really serious about 'protect and serve.' it should really say, '...ourselves first, then the community.' too many of them still treat everyone as criminals and ask questions later.

I like the motto the LSPD have on their cars in GTA 5. "Obey & Survive" Except in real life it's "Obey & Maybe Survive"

3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Dec 29, 2017, 19:16 NKD

That swatting story is so fucked up. Supposedly, a dispute between two Call of Doody nerds over like $2.00 started this. The guy who died wasn't even involved, swat-tard gave the wrong address or something.

Get rid of SWAT teams. Implement sane responses to anonymous phone reports. Charge swatters with the same thing you charge people with when they try to hire a hitman.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 29, 2017, 18:06 NKD

Is Big Data racist? No. But the police using it sure are.  

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2017, 18:04 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 14:55:
NKD wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 14:26:
Speaking of mental health diagnoses...

I saw a reddit thread linking to an article about Trump's recent NY Times interview where he was almost completely incoherent. Someone linked a few interviews with Donald Trump dating back to 1980. In 80 and 87 he was very well-spoken. In 2005 there's a little decline, but he's still like a completely different person than he is now.

There's just no getting around the fact that the guy is suffering from some severe mental decline, way beyond the usual for a man in his early 70s.

No spin, just go look at some interviews for yourselves.

Reagan was too, so I don't think it's all that unusual for a man in his 70s.

Reagan was suffering Alzheimers while President. It's not like everyone over 70 has Alzheimers.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2017, 14:26 NKD

Speaking of mental health diagnoses...

I saw a reddit thread linking to an article about Trump's recent NY Times interview where he was almost completely incoherent. Someone linked a few interviews with Donald Trump dating back to 1980. In 80 and 87 he was very well-spoken. In 2005 there's a little decline, but he's still like a completely different person than he is now.

There's just no getting around the fact that the guy is suffering from some severe mental decline, way beyond the usual for a man in his early 70s.

No spin, just go look at some interviews for yourselves.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2017, 11:34 NKD

Ozmodan wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 11:24:
There has been more fake news from them than any other news organization.

Does the White House Press Secretary count as a news organization? Because I'm pretty sure they hold the record recently for #FAKENEWS.

5451 Comments. 273 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo