Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 4317 (Master)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2016, 11:04 NKD

NegaDeath wrote on Jan 14, 2016, 10:21:

Shit I forgot he was in that. That's going to hurt the chances of the oft-rumored sequel coming to fruition. Damn.

That's literally the last movie I saw him in, oddly enough. Talented actor but he seemed to mostly end up in films I had no interest in.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bad_cop_no_donut - For the latest developments in police misconduct in the US.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2016, 09:58 NKD

By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Worvan, you shall be avenged!  

https://www.reddit.com/r/bad_cop_no_donut - For the latest developments in police misconduct in the US.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M
1. Re: Elite: Dangerous Sells 1.4M Jan 14, 2016, 09:56 NKD

I need to pickup a joystick I think so I can actually play this...  

News Comments > Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak Video
3. Re: Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak Video Jan 13, 2016, 22:36 NKD

bigspender wrote on Jan 13, 2016, 20:12:
Does their hiring policy state that employees must wear stupid hats while indoors? I wouldn't have realised that any of these people were "special" if they didn't look like this otherwise.

I'm just annoyed because they haven't shown a proper gameplay video.

Holy shit you're right there's literally a motherfucker with a fedora (or is it a trilby?).

News Comments > Amazon Prime Discounting Game Preorders
6. Re: Amazon Prime Discounting Game Preorders Jan 12, 2016, 22:06 NKD

Honestly I save enough on shipping each year to more than pay for my Amazon Prime, so all these other benefits are effectively just free shit.  

News Comments > EA Launches Origin Access Subscriptions
11. Re: EA Launches Origin Access Subscriptions Jan 12, 2016, 21:38 NKD

Bard wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 21:19:
NKD wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 20:58:
Supposedly this has been pretty good value for money on the Xboner, but I'm not sure it's there yet for PC.

Still, 5 dollars a month is 1 full-price triple A game a year, so it wouldn't take much to make this worthwhile for most gamers.

Except... Origin.

What's wrong with Origin? Client works fine, and they have better customer service than Steam by far. The only thing missing is game selection and their sales aren't quite as good. But Steam's sales are getting worse and Origin is coming up with alternative ways to provide value for money like this scheme here.

There's this meme like installing Origin on your computer is like installing herpes, but there's just no basis in fact for that shit.

I've had no problems with the Origin client or service, and when deals come up that beat Steam or simply aren't available on Steam, I take them. Saying "Ewww Origin has cooties!" and then passing up good deals is not smart purchasing.

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - That Dragon, Cancer
34. Re: Steamship Ahoy - That Dragon, Cancer Jan 12, 2016, 21:22 NKD

killer_roach wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 19:59:

Even beyond that, a lot of countries' record keeping of cancer statistics were astonishingly poor until quite recently unless it was something that caused obvious symptoms (thyroid cancer, brain tumors, melanoma, etc.). If it was something that went undiagnosed and killed you slowly at an old age, they just said you died of natural causes and left it at that. (Additionally, expected lifespans in Japan in the 1950s were somewhere in the low 60s of years - most of your cancer fatalities occur either under the age of ten or over the age of 75.)

Yeah. Historical cancer data simply isn't reliable so there's no basis for comparison. Anyone trying to say anything definitive based on it is full of shit. The only reliable cancer data we have is for a bunch of very similar Western cultures, and only for the past few decades. There's no other reliable data to compare it to.

bigspender wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 21:14:

I'm not really sure what else I can say or do to convince you I'm for real. *shrugs*

Don't get me wrong, I'm not accusing you of being a paid shill or anything, (though linking store pages is a little tacky) At least compared to linking to research and cancer charities who will tell you eating healthy is good, without telling you to buy a book, or buy anything at all.

This comment was edited on Jan 12, 2016, 21:29.

News Comments > EA Launches Origin Access Subscriptions
5. Re: EA Launches Origin Access Subscriptions Jan 12, 2016, 20:58 NKD

Supposedly this has been pretty good value for money on the Xboner, but I'm not sure it's there yet for PC.

Still, 5 dollars a month is 1 full-price triple A game a year, so it wouldn't take much to make this worthwhile for most gamers.

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - That Dragon, Cancer
31. Re: Steamship Ahoy - That Dragon, Cancer Jan 12, 2016, 19:34 NKD

bigspender wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 18:29:

Fun Fact: In Japan, in 1952 only 15 people died of prostate cancer. With most of the oldest people (in Okinawa) dying from more traditional "died of old age" diseases such as heart failure.

Cancer is absolutely becoming more common these days. The key contributing factor is diet. Diet is also the cause the so called obesity epidemic (despite mainstream sources saying nobody knows why).

There are other factors of course, such as pollution. But even these pollutants can be offset by diet, and opposite too, exacerbated by diet.

People in westernized countries are causing many of these cancers themselves, as organizations such as the USDA (driven largely by meat/dairy/poultry industries) give out terrible advice, which contradicts most non industry funded studies. (i.e. studies not designed to make a product look good).

There have been many studies into it. One easy to understand example is this: In poor countries, where people have no choice but to live off what we call poor people foods, such as rice, potatoes, beans, where meat is scarce, and where dairy isn't culturally consumed, the rates of cancers are very low. Further, if either of two things happen: 1. the offspring (same genes) move to a western country, the cancer rates go up, or 2. the region becomes richer and westernized, the cancer rates also go up.
So even while the environment and genes remain the same, but the diet becomes more animal product based, the rates of cancer go up and up. Not just any cancers btw, the same types of cancers that westerners get, as well as the same types of chronic disease westerners get.
The opposite to this is also true, people that stop eating the SAD (Standard American Diet) regain their health, and drop out of the cancer and chronic disease categories.

But don't take my word for it, here are easily digestible and well summarized and referenced sources:
How Not To Die
The Starch Solution
Power Foods for the Brain

The last two are completely idiot proof and even have recipes, foods you already eat, sweet foods, hearty foods etc with some adjustments. It's not weird hippy shit or just boring salads or anything.

So to sum up: EAT LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT. Because it really does

Oh lord. Amazon store pages are not scientific studies.

Diet and it's effect with regards to cancer is still not well-understood by science. In general, a healthy diet reduces your risk of cancer, but studies have been wholly inconclusive with regards to specific dietary choices. Anyone telling you that you have to eat non-GMO foods, or be a vegetarian, or whatever else has crossed from good advice into "woo" territory. The science simply isn't there. Anyone trying to make definitive claims such as selling books GIVING YOU SPECIFIC RECIPES is a scam artist.

Really tired of seeing shit-heels exploiting peoples fear of cancer to sell shit. Don't they have some hyper-diluted macguffin to be drinking to purge "toxins" or something instead of scamming people?

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 12, 2016, 18:39 NKD

Retired wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 13:33:
Father and I stayed warm in the stands at the Vikings game. Was a tough loss, no fault of the kicker - Offense didn't do their job, and honestly, I don't think we could beat Carolina......

Was great to be at the game. We will be in our seats opening day in the new stadium.

As a Seahawks fan I also found the criticism of Blair Walsh to be really unfounded. How are people gonna blame him for losing the game when he's the only reason they had points on the board. He even made a dicey 47 yd kick in shitty conditions. It could have easily been 10-6 with that last kick being irrelevant. Our guy, Hauschka, has missed some FGs that would have made the difference before as well, but Pete Carroll never hung him out to dry like Zimmer seemed to do with Walsh and the fan base never tried eating him alive.

It was a freezing ass cold game and two teams with great defenses. Honestly, it played out about like I thought it would, a defensive game where the offenses are effectively forced to throw shit at the wall and see what sticks.

It's easy to look at the shanked kick and be like "Oh, that lost us the game." But where were the points from Bridgewater and Peterson? Any game is a combination of a bunch of factors, but frankly I'm going to place more blame for losses on the offensive players who didn't score points over the one who scored 9.

News Comments > HTC Vive Preorders Next Month
21. Re: HTC Vive Pricing just announced. Jan 12, 2016, 06:20 NKD

InBlack wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 02:21:

And you know this how? The Rift's hardware is basically a small display screen..thats the most expensive part. You are telling me a small 1440p cellphone screen costs more than 600$? Erm, how much is the new 1440p Samsung S6 phone? Yeah Im gonna go ahead and call bullshit on your statement there.

I'm not making any guesses here. They've stated it publicly that they aren't turning a profit on this iteration of the hardware. Facebook is a publicly traded company. The second a Facebook corporate lawyer saw that shit they would have made them retract/clarify it, if it weren't true. Analysts were predicting for months before hand that it would be sold at a loss, as well. It's not exactly shocking news. Especially with Oculus hoping to cash in on the software end with exclusives.

Also you are wrong on the technical end about the screens. They aren't using off the shelf cell phone screens. They were going to, but instead they are using custom built Samsung kit that can hit 90hz. As I understand it the pixel gaps are smaller as well to reduce screen-door effect. The off the shelf screens couldn't do it so they couldn't get the frame rate they wanted. Carmack started talking with Samsung about the technical needs for CV1 in late 2014.

News Comments > HTC Vive Preorders Next Month
10. Re: HTC Vive Pricing just announced. Jan 11, 2016, 23:02 NKD

Fantaz wrote on Jan 11, 2016, 23:00:
hoping it at least costs less than the ridiculously overpriced Oculus

The Rift is already being sold at a loss. There's no way HTC has been able to cut down manufacturing costs for a similar product so drastically that they can sell it even cheaper. I'd be surprised if it was under $550.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 11, 2016, 21:51 NKD

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 11, 2016, 15:05:
How about we sacrifice you? Take one for the team and show us how its done. In the scheme of things you're just as insignificant as anyone else. Hipocritical asshole.

But then I wouldn't be able to enjoy sweet Bowie tunes, duh.

Also what's DangerDog talking about with the chemotherapy comment? Is he one of those Steve Jobs idiots who thinks he can cure cancer by drinking lots of water and taking homeopathic remedies and chemotherapy is just a scam?

Verno wrote on Jan 11, 2016, 15:06:

Nah NKD owns, we'll keep him thanks.

I dunno man I think Bowie owns more. I can barely make a decent sounding fart.

This comment was edited on Jan 11, 2016, 22:30.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
25. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 11, 2016, 21:47 NKD

Steazy wrote on Jan 11, 2016, 19:42:

Hence, trolling, or stupidity, sorry I gave anyone the benefit of the doubt :P

Quite frankly the only "trolling" in this thread is from you. You come in here guns blazing like we just kicked your fucking dog or like you are the owner of Razer.

You average 5 posts a year and three of them this year are in this thread. Maybe try participating a bit before working up to the guns blazing attack everyone approach.

11. removed Jan 11, 2016, 12:59 NKD

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 11, 2016, 15:36.

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 11, 2016, 12:52 NKD

Beamer wrote on Jan 11, 2016, 12:45:

Again, you're missing the primary reason why desktop PCs have been experiencing such a massive sales slowdown relative to laptops - people don't want a part of their home dedicated to the computer. It's an inelegant solution that feels dated.

I didn't miss that at all. I'm not talking about those people.

Those people are, for the most part, not gaming on their laptops. They certainly aren't playing high spec triple A games, and for the most part, aren't even plugging in a mouse. Laptops are selling well still, yes, but which laptops? The $400-600 variety.

When you're looking at a low end PC, a laptop is attractive because it's just as powerful for the things you're doing, while being small, but still being more usable than a smartphone. Useful for dragging between your bed and the living room and whatnot. Like you said, doesn't require much space set aside for it.

But when you're marketing to the core gamer, you're marketing to a different set of people who value performance and usability over something as nebulous as "feeling dated."

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 11, 2016, 12:21 NKD

I never understood the point of a gaming laptop.

For the same price you can get a dirt cheap laptop good for everything you're likely to be doing on the go, and also get a regular gaming PC. A Mini-ITX build is you're concerned about space.

I don't really see any compelling reason why my laptop and my gaming PC have to be the same machine. I guess a niche scenario where someone has to move between two homes very very frequently might lend itself to wanting a very compact hassle-free gaming setup that doesn't involve hauling a 27" screen.

I just don't see the point in some shit that's only just mobile enough so that you can change what room its in slightly easier.

"Well today I feel like gaming in the fucking kitchen, good thing I got this PC that is slightly easier to move around the house."

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2016, 10:55 NKD

nin wrote on Jan 9, 2016, 14:45:
Came here to say the same thing. They're exploiting/manipulating code to "win". That's not a speed run, that's cheating.

The people who actually do speedruns and participate in that community disagree. Glitch-free speedruns are often boring as shit because the ideal no-glitch strategy has been figured out for years if not decades. There's no room to improve on a lot of titles.

They aren't running 3rd party tools or using a fucking Game Genie. If the game lets you glitch around by doing weird shit or having characters named certain things, then it's fair game.

News Comments > etc.
19. Re: etc. Jan 8, 2016, 22:18 NKD

Quboid wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 19:24:
Flatline wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 18:31:
descender wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 14:59:
I'm sure he was posting completely reasonable and researched things and not just piling on the trollwagon and blaming CIG for spending the money on hookers and blow. God knows those threads here are always so rational and mild-mannered.

Unless we can see what he actually posted and was banned for... I don't believe a word of this crap. He probably deserved to be banned... and they still let him play the game. He just can't be part of a community he didn't want to be a part of anyway.

Let me guess, you're active on the SC forums and don't want to be banned...

The off-site "espionage" stuff is nonsense but people who get banned tend to complain about it being unfair and I really don't buy it. Particularly given how much nonsense Star Citizen gets slung its way, and I say that as someone who thinks SC is a train-wreak and who wouldn't put his money anywhere near it.

I can easily believe that their moderators are overly partisan given how passionate some people get about Star Citizen but it's a commercial operation and if you walk into a shop and endlessly complain loudly (or insult other customers, CJ) you should probably expect security to ask you to leave even if you're a customer.

From what the article says, this appears to have been a ban for off-site activity. I mean the guy posted communication from CIG confirming that. Then they decided, after some bad press, to start telling him "Oh well, maybe that wasn't the reason, but I can't tell you what that reason was."

News Comments > Far Cry: Primal Specs
14. Re: Far Cry: Primal Specs Jan 8, 2016, 18:33 NKD

mag wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 17:01:
IAMLIT_REFLEX wrote on Jan 8, 2016, 15:00:
You know what makes me glad I spent $380 on a GTX 970? The fact that this card can handle 99% of all pre existing games in 1440P is great but the fact that I'm maxing out my VRAM circa 2015 is SUPER COOL!!!

4 gigs of VRAM should have been a non starter at NVidia but nooooo we don't need to let a pretty solidly futureproof GPU have enough memory to last more than a year!

Seriously though... The GTX 970 eats up everything except Ark: Survival Evolved which requires a GTX 980 or higher just for max settings in 1080P at 50 frames per second. Why would they give a GPU that is slightly faster than the original Titan only 4 gigs????

It just doesn't really matter right now.

R9 290 4GB vs. R9 390 8GB.

The R9 390 and R9 290 are virtually identical, with roughly equivalent performance to the GTX970, and 8GB vs. 4GB does almost nothing.

Yup... there are a few niche situations where you can crank your VRAM use over 4GB, but that's all they are. And there won't be significantly more of those any time soon. For most titles you're not coming anywhere near 4GB at 1440p. It's cobbled together bullshit like indie titles and things like Skyrim with 5000 graphical mods sloppily shoehorned in that really test your VRAM.

With AMD and Nvidia both going to HBM2 memory in their next gen cards, it will cease to matter anyway as they'll be able to pack a lot more memory onto a single card.

4317 Comments. 216 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo