Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 5360 (Guru)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
6. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Dec 23, 2017, 18:17 NKD

I am always astonished at how WaltC manages to be on the wrong side of literally EVERY issue. You'd think he'd get one right by sheer chance one of these days.  

Citizen of the United Shitholes of America
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > NVIDIA Ending 32-bit Driver Support
1. Re: NVIDIA Ending 32-bit Driver Support Dec 22, 2017, 19:30 NKD

Heh 32 bit OS  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
9. Re: Dec 21, 2017, 11:52 NKD

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 21, 2017, 07:52:
Beamer wrote on Dec 21, 2017, 07:24:
The purpose of amber alerts aren't to tell you about danger in the area, it's to crowdsource eyes looking for a certain vehicle.

I get them from numerous states away. A cop in danger in Virginia won't be very useful for me in New York. Hell, a cop in danger a few miles away in Brooklyn wouldn't be useful to me.
I would rather be alerted when Republicans are near.
They are usually misinformed, terrorized, armed and elderly.

Given that 48% of the country's voters are clinically retarded, as evidenced of 2016, odds are there's one NEAR YOU RIGHT NOW.

THE CORPORATE CUCKOLDRY IS COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE!

4. Re: Dec 21, 2017, 02:51 NKD

Retired wrote on Dec 21, 2017, 01:00:
NKD wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 22:21:
Why would we want this information? It's not like we can do anything with it. If some guy is trying to kill cops, presumably the cops already know, since they are sending out this alert. And since the rest of us aren't cops...

Get back to me when you can alert me when me or my neighbors lives are in imminent danger. That's something I can do something about.

I would argue that you ARE in imminent danger, as at the point of a Blue alert, they have indicated they will do anything to get away.

But hey, what do I know. Lets just turn off Amber alert too right? Cause hell, it isn't YOUR kid so why would you need to know that info?

Idiots.

History shows that when the police are in pursuit of a cop killer, it's usually the police who end up shooting bystanders that aren't the suspects target, not the suspect. See: Christopher Dorner chase which had two incidents of random civvies being fired upon by the cops.

Maybe they ought to give us a "Blue Alert" when there's a cop within 500 yards so we can all stay inside and shut the lights off hoping you guys won't notice us and decide we "match the description of a suspect you're looking for."

Maybe if y'all stopped using steroids, and stealing the amphetamines from the evidence locker and using them before your shifts, y'all wouldn't be so fucked up. Your avatar is right on, all you cops see is black, white, and blue. Particularly black.

News Comments > Squadron 42 Specs and Trailer; Star Citizen Selling Tanks
33. Re: Squadron 42 Specs and Trailer; Star Citizen Selling Tanks Dec 21, 2017, 02:41 NKD

What are they gonna sell next, novelty sex toys? Fucks sake  

2. Re: Dec 20, 2017, 22:21 NKD

Why would we want this information? It's not like we can do anything with it. If some guy is trying to kill cops, presumably the cops already know, since they are sending out this alert. And since the rest of us aren't cops...

Get back to me when you can alert me when me or my neighbors lives are in imminent danger. That's something I can do something about.

News Comments > Watch_Dogs Giveaway Joins ACIV: Black Flag and World in Conflict Freebies
14. Re: Watch_Dogs Giveaway Joins ACIV: Black Flag and World in Conflict Freebies Dec 20, 2017, 21:56 NKD

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 21:06:
NKD wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 19:41:
We played the same game?

Apparently not. My game had a stun gun, a stun sniper rifle, and even a stun grenade launcher. There's a paintball gun for non-lethal knockouts as well, but I didn't try it. There is also a perk you can get to increase the range on these, and upgrade these things to knock out heavy armor guys in one shot. The infinite ammo for these weapons and the one-shot knockouts makes non-lethal a lot easier than lethal, particularly on the hard difficulties where the enemies are bullet sponges but still go down to one dart.

Dogs are susceptible to tasers, and neither dogs nor cameras alert people to bodies/unconscious people. Also I believe the non-lethal environmental hazards outnumber the lethal ones rather significantly. The electrical boxes are every 5 inches it seems.

That all is true, but it doesn't change the fact that stealth is janky as hell and a non lethal playthrough of WD2 is impossible Accidents happen so easily in this game that I don't believe for 1 nano-second you played through this without YOUR Marcus being a mass murdering terrorist. If you managed that you should have recorded it, you would be the first.

Also I would be really curious if you really say that you never used the "call police" feature, or the explode a grenade feature or exploded cards in traffic/caused traffic to crash into concrete barriers And if you say yes here, then just admit that lethal makes the game many times easier and faster and also more fun. And that's the problem, the fun way to play this game doesn't jibe with this games "tone" at all.

Well sure, you might accidentally run some people over because of the shit AI that causes them to jump in front of your car, or the AI ramming you into a sidewalk, or you might cause a car accident, but you're getting into extreme nitpick territory here to defend your point. You absolutely can play WD2 without intentionally causing anyones death. You can even play it with very minimal non-lethal takedowns by stealthing and if that fails, running away if things go sideways. Shit you can complete 90% of the missions just sitting outside in your car with the Drone/Jumper without ever being detected.

For the "Call Police" function, if you use that on Umeni Security, they will go peacefully. It's great for the missions where you're in an office building but can't do what you need to do with a Drone. But you're right, if you send the cops into a gang hideout, they aren't going to surrender and it's gonna be a bloodbath. So don't do that.

For car pursuits, simply go offroad and the dumb AI drivers will lose track of you much more quickly than using the traffic hacks. If you choose to drive on the sidewalk 24/7 and use only the MG and the Grenade Launcher, that's your choice. For me, a non-lethal playthrough was very enjoyable, if a bit on the easy side. No, I can't guarantee I never ran over a dog or caused a bad car accident, but come on you're just being ridiculous.

News Comments > Watch_Dogs Giveaway Joins ACIV: Black Flag and World in Conflict Freebies
12. Re: Watch_Dogs Giveaway Joins ACIV: Black Flag and World in Conflict Freebies Dec 20, 2017, 19:41 NKD

We played the same game?

Apparently not. My game had a stun gun, a stun sniper rifle, and even a stun grenade launcher. There's a paintball gun for non-lethal knockouts as well, but I didn't try it. There is also a perk you can get to increase the range on these, and upgrade these things to knock out heavy armor guys in one shot. The infinite ammo for these weapons and the one-shot knockouts makes non-lethal a lot easier than lethal, particularly on the hard difficulties where the enemies are bullet sponges but still go down to one dart.

Dogs are susceptible to tasers, and neither dogs nor cameras alert people to bodies/unconscious people. Also I believe the non-lethal environmental hazards outnumber the lethal ones rather significantly. The electrical boxes are every 5 inches it seems.

9. Re: Watch_Dogs Giveaway Joins ACIV: Black Flag and World in Conflict Freebies Dec 20, 2017, 16:36 NKD

eRe4s3r wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 08:51:
Maybe the 3rd game will not have us play a mass murdering terrorist nobody in any way sane can ever connect to. Wouldn't that be something....

;p

Of course, I dunno if that was intentional by Ubisoft to basically sabotage their entire plot this way in WD2, or if that was an accident.. But when behavior analysis flags him as a terrorist, then he becomes one after discovering this.... just.. wow. Tone deaf doesn't even begin to describe this plot..

At least in WD1, we played a genuine asshole, can get behind that. But in WD2 we play a terrorist, and I can't get behind that. Must be me

I've seen this criticism here before, but it doesn't make much sense. Yeah, Ubisoft The Game allows you to kill your enemies because it's a sandbox game, but you aren't forced to. I don't think there's a single person you have to kill in the game. If you're playing real stealthy, the number of people you even have to takedown at all, even with a taser, is pretty minimal. And canonically, Marcus isn't a killer.

Even if the crime prediction algorithm was able to predict Marcus' anarchist tendencies, does its accuracy make it ethical? And it's not even that accurate: Remember that Marcus got convicted of a crime he didn't commit based on that profile, before he even started looking into ctOS.

Also you're missing the dozens of other types of abuses of technology in the game, and how easily corruptable the system is. Even if it was 100% right about Marcus, which it wasn't, it still wouldn't be a vindication of the system.

4. Re: Watch_Dogs Giveaway Joins ACIV: Black Flag and World in Conflict Freebies Dec 20, 2017, 01:52 NKD

I actually liked the WD2 story alright. The ctOS and Blume, and the abuses of tech took center stage much more than in the first game. But I did get a little whiplash from the change in tone. It is a much, much lighter game than the first.

I felt that the DEDSEC people were about what you'd expect. Weirdo meme-lords with encyclopedic knowledge of geekdom. But I think it will get old fast if they stick with it, rather than changing things up and offering a variety. We've had Aiden "The Punisher" Pearce, and Marcus "Nerd Supreme" Holloway and his gang of dorks.

Rumor is the next game is going to be set in London, so I imagine the tone will change again. The developers have said that they want to match the tone of the game to the city it is set in. I can't imagine a London set game being as light-hearted as a game set in San Francisco, but it might not be as dark as Chicago either.

I wasn't a huge fan of Aiden Pearce, but after replaying the game I feel like he's not a lost cause as a protagonist and could be interesting to return to some day.

2. Re: Watch_Dogs Giveaway Joins ACIV: Black Flag and World in Conflict Freebies Dec 19, 2017, 21:48 NKD

I was replaying WD1 recently after I finished WD2, and surprisingly, the multiplayer modes were still popping quite fast. There must still be some people playing.  

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Dec 19, 2017, 20:07 NKD

I'd rather this shitty Robo-Trump be President than the real one.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
30. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2017, 18:31 NKD

The top 1% of income earners get 83% of the windfall from this tax bill. This isn't one of those things where you can interpret it one way or the other depending on your party affiliation. It's a straight up hand out to the wealthy that will result in cuts to Medicare, Medicaid, and frankly just about everything else that Republicans don't care about.

The tax burden has shifted over the last 80 years quite drastically. Corporations paid like 50% of the tax revenue, or more, in the 30s and 40s. Now they pay like 15%.

If you don't see a problem with robbing the poor to pay the rich, you're a fucking monster and don't belong in this country.

6. Re: US government names North Korea as the source of WannaCry Dec 19, 2017, 18:14 NKD

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 15:05:
Simon Says wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 14:35:
I guess the Russia accusation didn't stick... So they're trying to make it stick elsewhere xD
You skip over the facts like they don't exist
There is still a year left of an investigation that has already achieved convictions.
tRumpie and the tRumpettes are running scared.
The fox is in the hen-house and there is nothing they can do but scream.

Don't even bother responding to Simon Says, he's literaly some squatting tracksuit wearer who immigrated from the Soviet Union and idolizes the shit out of Putin. If there's a post where Russia is accused of doing something shady, you'll find him in there absolving them of all guilt.

News Comments > Unannounced Blizzard First-Person Game Features Vehicles
6. Re: Unannounced Blizzard First-Person Game Features Vehicles Dec 19, 2017, 10:47 NKD

El Pit wrote on Dec 19, 2017, 09:57:
Borderlands 3? Just... better than Borderlands? Yay!

And please no MMO... Please no MMO... Please no MMO... Single-player or no sale.

Single-player? From a company that makes literally all its money off multiplayer? Unlikely. MMO? Also unlikely, given that genre is now essentially crowdfunded disasters and foreign P2W imports.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2017, 01:55 NKD

Cutter wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 22:46:
Blue you really need to ban these fucking trolls like Beamer and Redeye,. Why do you let those brats keep starting trouble? I guess their parents have no idea what they're doing in the basement besides tugging it. Send them back to 4Chan where they belong. All they ever do is troll and start trouble. It's tiresome.

What's life like living with crippling autism and zero ability for self-reflection?

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
12. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 17, 2017, 01:42 NKD

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 21:34:

Cell phones are relatively new. More studies are underway.

If RF is killing us and we just haven't shown the symptoms yet, we're fucked.

News Comments > Police Simulator 18 Delayed Again
11. Re: Police Simulator 18 Delayed Again Dec 16, 2017, 23:10 NKD

NamecaF wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 01:09:
Wow, the anti-cop sentiment from you people is astounding. It kinda makes me hope your car gets stolen or you get assaulted. Lets see if you have the same attitude with the cops then.

This is the same tired shit every cop apologist who has never had to deal with the cops starts with.

Yeah, if my car gets stolen they'll find it weeks later in 50 pieces. If they find it at all. So useful. And if I get assaulted and call the cops, other person will claim I started it and we'll both get arrested until we both agree not to press charges to clear the whole mess up. And that's assuming it isn't just some random shithead who they'll never find in the first place.

And nevermind the fact that they are useless for protecting you in the first place. If you have an emergency situation the most they are gonna do is show up 15 minutes after you're dead, take notes, and make sure your body gets carted away in a timely manner. I'm sure I'll be grateful from my resting place in hell.

I've never been convicted of any crimes, or involved in any criminal shenanigans, and still every interaction I've had with cops has been a pain in the ass. Sitting there being polite as possible to some ego flexing asshole just so he won't charge me with contempt of cop or resisting verbal abuse. And not once have the cops ever done anything to actually help me.

My first interaction with the cops (that I can remember) was getting swatted as a teenager. We didn't call it swatting then, and my town didn't have a SWAT team, This was pre-widespread-militarization. But a bunch of cops surrounded my house and harassed me and my parents and tore our house apart looking for weapons, all because of some idiot making a phone call. I wasn't even the target, moron gave them the wrong address for whoever he was trying to fuck with.

EDIT: To be clear, it's probably easier to say what I think cops are good for, rather than all the stuff they are bad at. I think the main point of having a police force is as a deterrent, and to keep people generally hesistant to form mobs to seek their own justice. Even if they are incompetent and do a bad job of that, the illusion of justice is still worth something as a security blanket for people.

Also federal law enforcement does a fairly good job with white collar criminals, though the courts fall on their face, usually.

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2017, 00:53.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
9. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 16, 2017, 21:25 NKD

Unless I'm behind on this research, there hasn't been any credible link discovered between cell phone usage and illness. In addition, despite cell phone usage increasingly dramatically, there has been no corresponding increase in brain cancer diagnoses.  

News Comments > Police Simulator 18 Delayed Again
7. Re: Police Simulator 18 Delayed Again Dec 15, 2017, 14:30 NKD

They are adding an IQ test to the installer. If the player has an IQ above 80, the game won't install. Realistic hiring qualifications.  

5360 Comments. 268 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo