Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 4654 (Master)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
8. Re: etc., etc. Mar 28, 2017, 12:48 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Mar 27, 2017, 23:13:

Why hire testers when your fan base will test for you?

Testers aren't the problem. These games get thoroughly tested and the bugs get reported.

They don't get fixed because people higher up the food chain want to get the game out the door and so a great many problems get de-prioritized in favor of (usually) polishing up the first few hours of the game for reviewers.

You can tell when this has happened when you run into obvious bugs or UX hindrances that are universally experienced and not quirky one-offs. There is zero chance even a criminally understaffed QA team missed those or did not report them.

The shittiness of the ME: Andromeda UI is a good example. There is no way the QA testers were like "Yeah this is good. Cool." They are gamers just like us and probably got annoyed by the same shit but a UI revamp was never put on the agenda.

Another thing in ME:A that shows where their focus was... once you research an item to level 5, you can research an advanced version for levels 6-10. The UI here is broken as hell. The bars don't light up to show you the research in that tier, and the Tier 10 level limitation doesn't work properly. Another similar bug is the fact that Blahblahblah VIII weapons and mods don't properly exist in the game. From levels 60 until you hit 71, you won't get any leveled armor or mods or weapons to drop or to show up on a vendor.

With 80+ hours in my playthrough I only hit level 57 or so. The average player zipping through the game will never run into either of these problems. A reviewer certainly won't. So it's definitely a case of rushing the game out the door and hoping for the best by prioritizing fixes for the early game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bad_cop_no_donut - For the latest developments in police misconduct in the US.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
10. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Mar 28, 2017, 11:59 NKD

Redmask wrote on Mar 28, 2017, 07:55:
NKD wrote on Mar 27, 2017, 20:50:
So I just beat the main story at 87% completion with 85 hours on the game clock.

NKD wrote on Mar 27, 2017, 11:24:
So I'm over 60 hours into my ME:A playthrough now... and I'm still planning on diving right into a NG+ after this one.

You played 25 hours since yesterday? How does that work?

On the first post I was just looking at Origin, on the second I was just remembering what I had seen on the gamesave screen a couple hours earlier. Origin tells me one thing, the actual gamesave tells me another.

This video about the game is the most accurate I've seen so far.

No stupid gimmicks for the teenagers or jokes in it either, just thoughtful commentary.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bad_cop_no_donut - For the latest developments in police misconduct in the US.

4. Re: etc., etc. Mar 28, 2017, 03:46 NKD

SAM is pretty talkative out there. It would be annoying if I wasn't so good at tuning out shit like that. There needs to be kind of a cool down period on SAM's warnings.  

7. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Mar 27, 2017, 20:50 NKD

So I just beat the main story at 87% completion with 85 hours on the game clock. Seems like about 100 hours is what it would take if I did the rest, not counting time spent just ramping the Nomad and seeing what stupid shit I can do with it.

Granted I was playing on Insanity, which probably slowed me down quite a lot since I love the combat and took any excuse I could get to fight some baddies. Not much dying though with my retarded OP build I was running with.

My recommendation for anyone thinking of playing this is to do the bare minimum to complete the main story, or just a little more than that, and then do the rest of the game after you finish the main story.

Waiting 70+ hours to see the story out is not something I would recommend doing, because it's actually really good.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 27, 2017, 11:38 NKD

intermarer wrote on Mar 27, 2017, 11:09:
You must admit, though, that it's quite applicable and descriptive in this day and age

Eh, the phrase has been twisted and abused into meaninglessness now.

"Special snowflake" when used pejoratively, is supposed to signify a person who has unreasonable expectations that their own personal needs be met over the needs of others.

But today you see the term trotted out (usually by /pol/tards) to describe vast swaths of the population.

The term is basically used today to mean "someone who is concerned about something I'm not personally concerned about".

Which, quite frankly, makes the person using the term more of a snowflake than anyone else, because they are dismissing the concerns of a lot of people simply because they personally don't give a shit.

1. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Mar 27, 2017, 11:03 NKD

So I'm over 60 hours into my ME:A playthrough now... and I'm still planning on diving right into a NG+ after this one.

After more time with the game, I can say this is my favorite Mass Effect game. Don't get me wrong, it definitely has weak points compared to the previous games, but all the hate it is getting is VASTLY out of proportion given how good the game actually is.

The Nomad really makes it. You feel like you have so much freedom, and unlike ME1, the planets feel alive and there is a lot to find and do. I spent half an hour in the middle of doing a main quest to just do jumps in the Nomad on the Low-gravity world.

People who said the squadmates are boring are straight up retarded. The only one who seems boring is Cora because she's kind of a buttoned up military type. But even then she's less of an ice queen than Miranda fucking Lawson. I think on my DudeRyder playthrough I am going to bang Vetra (the female turian squadmate), she is really cool.

Combat, gameplay, all better than they've ever been. Multiplayer is fun as well if you liked ME3 MP. The story just gets better as you play, and the game does a really good job of nailing the central premise of what it is to be a "Pathfinder" You're part diplomat, part explorer, part badass. Emphasis on the Explorer part. Also, its nice to ditch the military baggage that came with the original trilogy. It's a civilian op and it shows. They do a great job of highlighting the differences and don't make you feel like you've just directly transplanted Milky Way sensibilities into a lawless frontier.

I saw a lot of criticism of the writing. I've found very few examples of cringe dialogue. Probably a lesser amount by % than any of the previous games. The writing is probably on par with the previous games overall. So if you like Bioware writing (or hate it) it's still basically the same stuff.

Anyway, back to poopsocking Andromeda.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 26, 2017, 23:13 NKD

Antithesis of Minecraft? There are a good number of people who play Minecraft in ways just like this. There IS a community of PvP players, but they are pretty self-contained.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2017, 18:05 NKD

I identify as an otherkin who is a hybrid of a toaster and a Dacia Sandero, and as cars and toasters have no defined gender, I approve this gender neutral pronoun.  

1. Re: etc., etc. Mar 23, 2017, 00:44 NKD

TV is a much better place for video game adaptations. Many of the better video games do a lot of world building that you can't fit into 2 hours. That was one of the main reasons the Assassin's Creed movie was so lame. It was bursting at the seams with bullshit.

Video games could have a future on TV the same way comic book shows have had a resurgence. Both involve taking kind of cheesy source material with tons of baggage and making them into (usually) pretty decent shows.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches
84. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches Mar 23, 2017, 00:27 NKD

Creston wrote on Mar 23, 2017, 00:22:
NKD wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 23:43:
Creston wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 23:36:
powersliding your Nomad on ice like you're Tanner Fucking Foust while running over dipshit Kett,

I recommend installing the mod on the Nomad that lets you toggle traction control off It's amazing for doing stupid shit.

Where do I install mods for the Nomad? I can't find it anywhere. :\

They are all passive upgrades or toggleable features. Once you make them they are automatically installed the next time you're in it. From what I can tell you can get them all, You dont have to choose.

82. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches Mar 22, 2017, 23:43 NKD

Creston wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 23:36:
powersliding your Nomad on ice like you're Tanner Fucking Foust while running over dipshit Kett,

I recommend installing the mod on the Nomad that lets you toggle traction control off It's amazing for doing stupid shit.

77. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches Mar 22, 2017, 19:11 NKD

For all the shit this game is getting online, I am having no less fun with it than I did the previous ME games. I've only just reached the 2nd main planet and I've put like 30 hours into this. Of course I talk to everyone and read all the things.

Haven't gotten into multiplayer yet but by all accounts it's an iterative improvement upon ME3 MP so I'll probably enjoy it.

Oh I did run into one super cringe moment last night. I go up to some chick and she basically just blurts out "I'm trans and my name used to be Stefan." I was just like... uh.. oh okay... I don't remember asking...

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews
97. Re: On Sale Mar 21, 2017, 01:47 NKD

Got on a VPN this morning to unlock the game early and have been playing most of the day.

The animations are definitely a bit below the standard of top tier AAA games, but frankly they aren't even remotely a distraction. In addition a few of the animation glitches I've seen in GIFs were not present for me.

The graphics overall are beautiful. It performs reasonable well at 1440p Ultra on my system. Over 100fps most of the time but there are times when it dips down closer to 60 or even a bit lower.

The gameplay is probably the best Mass Effect has had yet, and the R&D and Mod system is pretty good. It's fairly low hassle as crafting systems go. There are also a lot more NPCs to talk to than in previous games, and plenty of background info to dig around for to get your bearings.

I'm playing on Insanity and it's probably the hardest Insanity mode they've had, a good step or two harder than ME2. I'm sure I'll find some OP combo of abilities that makes it a little easier.

I'm playing a female Ryder, and her voice acting is solid. Most of the voice acting I've heard has been pretty good, and a couple odd lines here and there aside, I haven't run into any particularly cringy dialogue.

Mechanically, the game feels similar to the other Mass Effects. You feel right at home with the gameplay. Story-wise it's a very different feel so far, and I think this is where you're going to get the most polarization from the fanbase. Too early in my playthrough to weigh in on the quality of said story.

On the fundamentals: I haven't had any crashes or noticeable bugs. Game seems stable on my computer.

Anyway, that's my thoughts.

News Comments > etc.
19. Re: etc. Mar 19, 2017, 20:06 NKD

I really hate Twitter and most other modern social media. Not because I'm a Luddite, but because of the effect it has had on internet discourse.

Forming an internet lynch mob is just so much easier now. Many internet personalities, particularly the more "alt-right" leaning ones, have large fanbases made up of teenage edgelords and adults with the mindset of teenage edgelords. On the other side of the spectrum the SJW crew has a bunch of a emotionally unstable people whose entire existence revolves around looking for reasons to get upset and fighting with each other over who is the most upset.

And there are very high profile Twitter people on both sides. When they mention an individual person in any kind of negative light, it almost inevitably leads to that person being dogpiled by harassment and having to close down shop as far as their public internet presence goes.

It's dangerous for a well known internet person to have an opinion. If they dare to have an opinion and it's to the left or right of someone elses opinion, they are going to get called out, dogpiled, and harassed. And it's not unheard of for this harassment to spill over into the real world.

Swatting, calling peoples workplaces and family and trying to spread lies about them, and generally just fucking peoples shit up in a way that can't simply be Blocked or Ignored.

And of course it goes the other way too. If they aren't careful with what they say, they could unintentionally cause their shitty followers to go after someone. Some do this intentionally, but most of the time it's just a reckless disregard for the power of their words.

Then you have the more decentralized circlejerks, like this ME:A business. No single person set this off. Though in the case of this specific harassment of the artist, it was that Ralph Report guy who as far as I can tell is just some neckbeard slob who sees phantom SJWs everywhere and is just generally a shitty human being who treats other human beings poorly.

The only major complaint anyone seems to have about ME:A thus far is that the animations suck. People who have actually played the preview say it's not bad enough to be distracting and there are only a couple examples of actually distracting animations in the first few hours. But when you go onto /r/games or some other forums, the narrative is that the WHOOOOOLE game is utterly garbage 0/10 material.

So people go from "Subpar animations, a few that are really bad." to "0/10 literal garbage, fire all the developers and put them in an internment camp" in about 60 seconds. That's the power of internet circlejerks.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda 4K Trailer
46. Re: On Sale Mar 19, 2017, 17:01 NKD

NetHead wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 09:34:
I think that's nonsense, sorry if I'm coming on strong but I've seen that kind of excuse spewed out so many times it's grating.

Mass Effect 1 had good animations when it was released. I still remember videos of them specifically showing off talking to people and demonstrating the facial animations. There are also reviews for it which say those things were good.

Besides even if that weren't the case, even if they've always sucked at this, that hardly seems like a reason to let it slide on a AAA/priced game.

It not an excuse because it doesn't excuse anything. I'm just stating what my personal expectations were. I don't place a high enough value on top tier animations that it could really affect a purchasing decision except in the most borderline cases. For a game like Mass Effect Andromeda, it could actually be significantly shittier than what I've seen so far and I'd still love it because I love the Mass Effect universe and Mass Effect gameplay.

I'm not judging anyone who is unhappy with the animations, or had higher expectations, but for me it's just a lower priority factor in my decision.

39. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 19, 2017, 03:10 NKD

descender wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 02:04:
"internet tough guys are pieces of shit" says the abrasive, unnecessarily mocking, lashing out for no reason "internet tough guy" trying to talk someone down from a new troll account. Fuck. You. Dude.

The lack of self-awareness in that entire post is just astounding.

Hahah I was thinking the same thing. Dude comes out swinging and at the same time accusing the OTHER guy of being an e-tough guy, like what the actual fuck.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Mar 18, 2017, 18:46 NKD

Looks like ME:A actually performs pretty well on a 970 on High or a 1060 on Ultra, at 1080p.

On 4k it looks like an average of around 37fps on Ultra with a 1080.

31. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda 4K Trailer Mar 18, 2017, 17:30 NKD

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 17:23:
NKD wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 17:11:
Oh good news. That racist developer guy actually got shitcanned from Bioware a month ago. Some dude asked Aaryn Flynn to denounce this guys shit and he was like "Nah, but he doesn't work here anymore anyway."
Please post the source.

There are not even enough angry gamers who can be bothered with signing an imaginary petition that was started 7 months ago so I seriously doubt he's fired.

Yeah sorry I thought I had included it but I only included the second tweet.

http://twitter.com/AarynFlynn/status/843199849273135109

There's the link, I tried to make it into a URL link but the fucking board won't let me for some reason.

29. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda 4K Trailer Mar 18, 2017, 17:11 NKD

Oh good news. That racist developer guy actually got shitcanned from Bioware a month ago. Some dude asked Aaryn Flynn to denounce this guys shit and he was like "Nah, but he doesn't work here anymore anyway." (Source: http://twitter.com/AarynFlynn/status/843199849273135109)

Some fucked up shit: Some chick was claiming to be a "Lead Facial Animator" for ME: Andromeda and one of those alt-right bro-gamer sites picked it up and painted her as some kind of crazy SJW who got her job by sucking guys dicks. Of course this sent the angry alt-right manchild horde after her.

But it turns out it's all bullshit because she doesn't currently work for Bioware.

I'm not a fan of either SJWs or the alt-right manchild brigade, but in this case I can't really find anything that shows that this girl is a radical SJW. She just seems like a nice cosplay girl.

EDIT: Also just to add, it's getting real hard to be critical of games because of all these psychopaths threatening to kill developers because some lip animation was fucked up. I don't even want to be remotely associated with that kind of BS, so I pretty much only comment about this type of shit over here in our little website.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2017, 17:30.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 18, 2017, 03:13 NKD

These SSDs are getting so crazy fast. They are way past the point where gamers see any improvement from more speed (load times etc, are now primarily limited by the actual CPU workload performed on the assets), but for more demanding workloads its just fantastic.  

4654 Comments. 233 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo