Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 4654 (Master)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black May 23, 2017, 22:38 NKD

Cortez Kennedy  

https://www.reddit.com/r/bad_cop_no_donut - For the latest developments in police misconduct in the US.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
47. Re: Morning Mobilization May 23, 2017, 20:26 NKD

SMITE wrote on May 23, 2017, 20:16:
This "none of us are ever going to die of terrorism" argument pisses me the hell off. So what if none of US are going to die from it--lots of other people ARE dying from it. Are the lives of people in other countries worth so little to you?

What if you happened to be born in Afghanistan? Or Pakistan? Or Saudi Arabia? Or, for that matter, France or England?

Yeah you see a lot of shit like this on "progressive" websites. Where they lay out how its so unlikely you're going to be killed by a terrorist. Well yeah, if you live in the US, where we have very few Muslims, and the ones we do have tend to be moderates, and random people with guns (and the cops) are a bigger threat.

I don't worry one bit about being the victim of a terrorist attack in the US, but I still recognize the suffering of people in terrorism-prone countries, and still think its something worth worrying about for that reason alone.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bad_cop_no_donut - For the latest developments in police misconduct in the US.

42. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2017, 19:13 NKD

Quboid wrote on May 23, 2017, 19:07:
You've been civil NKD, I just find the whole discussion frustrating. I should have listened to the wise and handsome fellow in post #13.

Yes it is definitely frustrating. You are absolutely correct about the Iraq War being a mistake. You cannot reform Islam by invading the region and destabilizing it. I could be convinced going to Afghanistan was necessary, but there's really no legitimate argument for Iraq.

39. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2017, 18:48 NKD

jdreyer wrote on May 23, 2017, 18:37:
The hole in attacking Islam for terror is that there are a billion Muslims worldwide but only a few thousand Islamic terrorists. It's a fraction of a fraction of a percent. There's also a direct correlation between lack of education and economic opportunity and becoming an extremist. Improving these things would have greater success than taking a hard line.

Those economic and education issues are also deeply rooted in Islamic doctrine and theocracy.

And it's not as simple as "A billion good and decent Muslims and a few thousand terrorists."

You've got the entire sphere of Islam. Within that sphere, the vast majority of them are within the sphere of conservative Muslims who believe in a lot of shitty things like imprisoning homosexuals and disallowing women from working or driving. Within the sphere of conservative Muslims you have the Islamists. These are people who believe in beheading infidels and jihad. Then within the Islamist sphere, you have the actual Jihadists who not only believe in these things, but do them.

So yes, it's true that only a small percentage of them particiate in Jihad. But that small percentage is responsible for a lot of suffering and it is deeply rooted in their religion.

You cannot separate Islamic terrorism from Islam. The only way for this issue to be solved is for reformers within Islam to be empowered. It's their mess, they have to clean it up.

This is why things like travel bans and invasions are stupid ideas. It only makes it harder for those reformers to do their jobs.

37. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2017, 18:27 NKD

Quboid wrote on May 23, 2017, 18:13:
Can you elaborate on the connection?

Sure. For example, approximately 80% of terrorist attack fatalities worldwide occur in just FIVE Muslim majority countries: Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria, and Nigeria, and perhaps you've heard of ISIS?

35. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2017, 18:06 NKD

Quboid wrote on May 23, 2017, 17:54:
That metaphor doesn't work. It would be like getting mad when a fire department singles out the house with the biggest fire and ignores all the other houses on fire, which is an entirely justified criticism.

You say the metaphor doesn't work, but yours is just plain dishonest.

What you're basically saying here is that all religions have a problem with terrorism, but Islam merely has a somewhat more severe case which understates the connection between Islam and terrorism to an absolutely absurd degree.

Mr. Tact wrote on May 23, 2017, 15:47:
NKD wrote on May 23, 2017, 15:28:
... or pretending the extremists are mentally ill.
While I generally agree with most of what you said it is kind of hard to think anyone wishing to kill innocent civilians in the name of jihad as sane.

Their religious leaders tell them that these people they kill are not innocent, and that they have nothing to fear from death, as all that awaits them is paradise. Once you've had that drilled into your head, it becomes perfectly rational to blow yourself up. Their fundamental belief system is twisted. That doesn't make them insane, it makes them indoctrinated.

29. Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2017, 15:28 NKD

The first step to solving the issue of Islamic terrorism is to stop treating all religions as equals. Yes, all religions are equally bullshit, but not all religions are equally dangerous.

For example: Mormons are retards, but generally aren't going to be strapping on suicide vests or killing people for making cartoons.

Getting mad when someone singles out Islam is like getting mad when a fire department singles out a burning house instead of spraying down every house on the block.

There may not even be a solution to the problem aside from just waiting for the backwards culture of Islam to catch up, but if there is a solution we sure as fuck won't find it if we aren't honest about the problem in the first place.

I'm very much a supporter of the Sam Harris approach here: Empower the true reformers in Islam, because changing the religion is the only solution that seems to make sense, and the only people who can do that are Muslims themselves. We can't force change with military action, sanctions, travel bans, or pretending the extremists are mentally ill.

News Comments > IO Interactive Layoffs
5. Re: IO Interactive Layoffs May 23, 2017, 14:07 NKD

The episodic Hitman game is the best Hitman so far. In fact the first episodic game I've actually found to work with the format. The Hitman series never had a story worth following, anyway.  

News Comments > etc.
12. Re: etc. May 21, 2017, 19:23 NKD

Beamer wrote on May 21, 2017, 11:03:
I love the "shoe-horning diversity" complaint. Can anyone name a modern, AAA example?

The only shoe-horned diversity I can think of is the trans character in whatever that game was, where they started with "I was born a male," and Superfly Johnson.

Neither of those were asked for or well received.

The shoe-horning that people complain about, for the most part, doesn't exist. The whole idea is that it's supposed to be something forced in that doesn't belong there.

So why is it a gay character doesn't belong? Or a trans character? Or a black character? These are all people who exist in the real world and could exist in most fantasy or scifi settings. In these settings, by definition, including one can't be shoe-horning them in.

Yes, a trans character, or any other character, can be written poorly and feel like they were an afterthought, but that's because the writing is shit, not because the idea of having a trans character is shit.

People just don't want to admit their feelings. They don't want these characters because the idea of them is somehow repulsive to them emotionally. Gay characters talking about their spouses weirds them out because it's unfamiliar to them, and they don't want to be weirded out while playing a game to relax.

But they don't want to admit this because they are afraid of looking like a homophobe or whatever. There's nothing immoral about not finding gay relationships appealing or even being put off by a gay character. It's just a matter of unfamiliarity. It's a behavior that you aren't accustomed to and don't have an ingrained response to. If people would admit this, they'd see the answer to their discomfort is more diverse characters, not less. The more exposed to it you are, the more normalized it gets and the less weird it seems.

A real "shoe-horned" character must be out of place in the setting, not merely poorly written.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
25. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 20, 2017, 21:23 NKD

GothicWizard wrote on May 20, 2017, 20:02:
yes you lost a $8 hr job flipping burgers but gained a $18+ service repair job or a $30 robotic engineer job.

But you didn't gain those things. You gave up a hell of a lot more than one $8 an hour job to get a repair tech and an engineer employed.

It's not 1:1. It's not even close. Not by number of jobs, nor by amount of income. And the jobs don't go to the same people. Some engineering job going to some guy who already had an engineering job somewhere else is small comfort for the 100 people some factory just laid off.

We have to recognize that automation kills jobs, and that the vast majority of people who lose their job to automation aren't going to be in a position to immediately find some amazing replacement job. Since automation is inevitable, and there's no reason to think any job is safe from automation in the long term, we need to start finding real solutions.

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. May 20, 2017, 18:17 NKD

The SJW crowd has gone so far off the rails in their hunt for diversity that they are actively sabotaging it.

At this point , it's safer and less controversial to just make your game a bunch of boring straight white males. The Nazis and 4channers won't jump down your throat for "shoe-horning" diversity in, and the SJWs can't accuse you of cultural appropriation or nitpick your characters to death for not being perfect representations.

Activism is nice, but when your activism actually pushes people back towards the status quo, it's time to re-evaluate.

22. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 20, 2017, 18:03 NKD

Creston wrote on May 20, 2017, 13:52:
Bullshit. Pay a good wage and good benefits, and you'll have fucking thousands of applicants.

While I think some industries are just being cheap-skates, not every job or position has the same revenue earning potential for the company.

A good wage and good benefits could very well be a financial disaster for some businesses. Some jobs are shitty to do, which means you have to pay people more to want to do them. But at the same time these are often jobs that don't generate a lot of revenue per worker, so you can't really afford to pay them enough to really draw them in.

It's no surprise that those are the jobs getting automated out of existence first. No one wants to do a shit job for shit pay unless they are straight up desperate.

The average person thinks they get paid according to the level of effort their job entails, when in fact they are being paid according to how much their effort is worth to the company's bottom line.

I'm not exactly a big pro-business guy, but even I have to concede that expecting businesses to keep hiring humans to do automatable jobs, even if it means paying them more than the job is really worth, is a bridge too far.

12. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 20, 2017, 15:24 NKD

Yeah, our capitalist system has just enough of the right type o regulation to ensure the financial survival of the big dogs at the top, but not enough to keep them from screwing everyone over.  

53. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 12:53 NKD

Kxmode wrote on May 19, 2017, 10:50:
Dacote wrote on May 19, 2017, 07:39:
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar, well put.

A gentleman and a scholar wouldn't wish for the death of anyone.

We can't all be as virtuous as you. We don't have the advantage of magic underwear and door-to-door religious sales experience.

The fact of the matter is that the closest we can come to objective morality is the sum total of suffering on this planet. Usually when someone dies, there's an increase in suffering. Their family, friends, and so on.

But some people, like Roger Ailes, are responsible for a lot of suffering. Ailes was instrumental in the current divided state of our country. He made a business of playing on peoples racism, bigotry, and fear for ratings, money, and success. He is THE key figure in the editorialization of our news media. There are others, but he was the big dog.

The only time a villain dying is a bad thing is when it makes room for an even worse villain.

32. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2017, 16:23 NKD

Kxmode wrote on May 18, 2017, 15:50:
NKD wrote on May 18, 2017, 15:43:
But on the other hand Roger Ailes dead. Small comfort though because that guy should have been killed by some time traveler from the dystopian future.

Wishing death upon someone is the lowest form of human expression and a lack of empathy for the surviving family members.

Don't care. His death is a net gain for humanity, and would have been a lot more of a net gain had it happened sooner. He was human garbage. I'm not going to pretend every life is sacred, or equal, or even worth the oxygen is sucks down just to virtue signal how empathetic and kind I am.

When someone dies who I think has put more suffering into this world than they removed, I will absolutely be happy about it.

28. Re: Out of the Blue May 18, 2017, 15:43 NKD

Chris Cornell dead which makes me very sad especially as a Washingtonian. Not many left from that scene.

But on the other hand Roger Ailes dead. Small comfort though because that guy should have been killed by some time traveler from the dystopian future.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed May 17, 2017, 08:22 NKD

jin wrote on May 16, 2017, 20:41:
i trust valve a HELL of a lot more than i trust polygon.

i suspect polygon is just not cool with having an entity that they and their ilk can't bully into censoring content they don't like.

f polygon.

This doesn't even make any sense. You aren't paying money to Polygon or entrusting your entire game library to them. Who gives a fuck if you "trust" them? I think Polygon is a shitty site, but it's just an opinion piece. They aren't reporting anything new that requires us to trust their legitimacy. Hell even their opinion here is hardly a controversial one: Everyone knows its a bad idea to put all your eggs in one basket, but the convenience factor for both users and developers has so far outweighed that.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 15, 2017, 22:35 NKD

Zenimax is the most sue happy company in gaming.  

News Comments > Square Enix Selling IO Interactive
8. Re: Square Enix Selling IO Interactive May 12, 2017, 21:41 NKD

Jerykk wrote on May 11, 2017, 23:46:
This is unfortunate. The latest HITMAN was great. Quite possibly the best in the series. Unless Square plans on selling the IP along with IO, this basically means HITMAN is dead.

It looks like Square is going to start focusing most of their western developers on Marvel licensed games. Disappointing because I've actually enjoyed most of their western games.

Supposedly IO Interactive is keeping the Hitman IP and season 2 will be in 2018.

News Comments > Mass Effect Series on Hold?
42. Re: Mass Effect Series on Hold? May 11, 2017, 13:11 NKD

Flatline wrote on May 11, 2017, 12:27:
NKD wrote on May 11, 2017, 10:51:
I mean I've got more hours in it than I probably have in all the previous ME games combined...

I'm just going to point out the game has been out 51 days and you've spent 24.5 days *in game*.

Which means basically you've spent as much time in ME:A as spent sleeping, eating, working, and the rest of your life.

Like... do you work? Because you're spending on average around 11 hours day playing ME:A, and unless you only sleep like 3 hours a night I don't see how you could sleep, eat, and work in the 13 hours a day on average you have left over.

Either that or you just hit pause when you walk away from the game and like those 8 hours of sleep are time spent "in game".

Most of that time is multiplayer. And no I don't work, I've been disabled for about 4 years now, been divorced for 10 years and never had any kids. Lots of time to play games.

4654 Comments. 233 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo