Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 5443 (Guru)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
18. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 20, 2018, 06:25 NKD

Agent.X7 wrote on May 20, 2018, 01:16:
I so want to listen to your opinion after you imply I am a horrible person.

No I don't.

What opinion could I give you that you'd give a shit about? Gun owners in this country have proven that they aren't willing to cede a single inch. Any new legislation that would do any good is shut down by NRA lobbying.

This whole "You are being mean to me, so that's why I'm not listening!" shit is so fucking old. It's the other way around, IU'm being mean to you because being nice failed.

You say that it's "rhetoric" that you like having children die. Is it? What do you call it when kids are dying and you just chalk it up as the cost of being able to go shoot paper targets at the range?

That's the bottom line in this argument. There is something that can be done to save lives, and you and your NRA buddies are not willing to do it. That puts the blood on your hands. You are a murderer.

"America is like an MMO where an early guild already took 90% of the good farming grounds, boss raids and rares while everyone else is still trying to level up on low-level mobs" -Some Guy on Reddit
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
13. Re: Evening Metaverse May 20, 2018, 06:18 NKD

Package delivery is actually one of the few profitable areas of the USPS. And given the volume Amazon deals with, they are probably a huge cash cow for the USPS. They also cannot charge below cost, by law. They also cannot make special deals with certain companies, again, by law. The only reason USPS has financial trouble is that they have to pre-pay everyones pensions. Guess which party hobbled them with that? Hint: (R)

There is no special Amazon deal to renegotiate.

"America is like an MMO where an early guild already took 90% of the good farming grounds, boss raids and rares while everyone else is still trying to level up on low-level mobs" -Some Guy on Reddit

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
11. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 19, 2018, 08:51 NKD

There is no number of dead children that will motivate the NRA nuts to actually reflect on why they love their guns so much. If they don't care about dead children, how can we get them to care about all the other violence in the country made worse by the presence of a gun?

At this point I would fully support repealing the 2nd Amendment. I don't see any other way to enact meaningful change. Sadly, that's not going to happen, because a lot of people apparently enjoy being complicit in murdering children.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black May 17, 2018, 04:13 NKD

I can hear them both. If I'm listening for Laurel, I hear Laurel. If I'm listening for Yanny, I hear Yanny. I can switch back and forth as quickly as the audio loops.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Jails are replacing visits with video calls—inmates and families hate it. May 16, 2018, 05:41 NKD

RedEye9 wrote on May 16, 2018, 01:23:

@Beamer @NKD,
You're both intelligent and well educated. You've each been around as long or longer than Cutter. Why do ya'll even bother feeding that troll?

Pretty sure Cutter has me on ignore actually, so he's probably not even going to see it. When I respond to his shit it's primarily to vent and/or remind people of his intellectual disability. A waste of time for sure, but it's a small amount of time.

9. Re: Jails are replacing visits with video calls—inmates and families hate it. May 16, 2018, 01:13 NKD

Cutter wrote on May 15, 2018, 16:53:
TheBigVlad wrote on May 15, 2018, 11:24:
Prisoners have become so dehumanized, it's sad. I would argue that their constitutional rights are being violated on a large scale (cruel and unusual punishment) but almost nobody cares enough to want to change it. Not everyone in jail/prison is a serial child murderer.

It's prison, not summer camp. Ask the victims of those assholes what they think. You've obviously been lucky enough to never be a victim of one of them or know anyone who has. Once you are you'll abandon that liberal fantasy and any semblance of pity for them. They deserve none.

"If you were emotionally compromised and biased, you'd have a different opinion!"

Shut the fuck up Cutter. While I'd certainly hold animosity towards someone who commited a crime against me, that doesn't have anything to do with the millions of other people in this country who are incarcerated.

I could just as easily say the same to you. If you were in jail for some trivial bullshit and because of people like yourself dehumanizing inmates, it was hell on Earth and you were ass raped by a broom handle every day, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be thinking "It's fine, I broke the law, I deserve this." You'd be crying like a little bitch and would never defend the prison system again. Also you'd probably be shitting in a bag the rest of your life, which I guess isn't too different from your posts here.

Nearly 1% of our population is in prison at any given time, and that's not even factoring in the revolving door justice system we have where an even larger % of people have been to prison in the last 10 years. We have about 4% of the worlds population, but 22% of its prisoners.

With that many people incarcerated, we can't afford to deny them fair treatment, because a large number of them probably shouldn't even be there.

3. Re: Jails are replacing visits with video calls—inmates and families hate it. May 15, 2018, 13:43 NKD

TheBigVlad wrote on May 15, 2018, 11:24:
Prisoners have become so dehumanized, it's sad. I would argue that their constitutional rights are being violated on a large scale (cruel and unusual punishment) but almost nobody cares enough to want to change it. Not everyone in jail/prison is a serial child murderer.

Yep unfortunately it's one of those things that only seems to go one way. You can always find people willing to be "tough on crime" which of course usually means ineffective and harsh sentencing. But no one wants to be the person trying to do something for our incarcerated population, or trying to lower the absurd % of our population that is in jail.

This is our fault though. We have a really unhealthy view of prisoners. We assume that if someone has ended up in prison that they are and always will be a drain on society who deserves everything bad that will happen to them. This means politicians will lose votes unless they embrace this.

When the average voter hears a story about inmates being mistreated, exploited, etc., they're going to go post a comment on the internet about how "They should have thought about that before commiting a crime!" The implication is clear: If you commit a crime, you no longer have rights.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
21. Re: Sunday Mobilization May 13, 2018, 22:23 NKD

The fact that John Bolton is involved is a guarantee of war with Iran. It's pretty much inevitable at this point. This guy would have us conquering the whole planet if he thought we could get away with it.  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
5. Re: Sunday Mobilization May 13, 2018, 16:10 NKD

eRe4s3r wrote on May 13, 2018, 14:15:
He's currently ruining European relations too. Lots of inner political calls here to flat out oppose him and ignore any sanctions by the USA. And as last stop we have the Swift banking system. Trump might have just pissed away 70 years of alliance.

You Euros should straight up just forget the US. It's probably safe to assume we're done for over here. I don't see much hope. Best to proceed under that assumption and get yourselves a good start on the post-USA world.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Microtransactions End
7. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Microtransactions End May 10, 2018, 09:19 NKD

I have a stupid amount of hours in this game. Think I'll play some more once they finalize all this shit in July.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 9, 2018, 20:38 NKD

Trump admin is correct on that one. These guys violated our existing sanctions repeatedly and then lied about punishing their execs responsible. If they can't continue business with sanctions in place, maybe they should have thought about that before doing shady shit.  

News Comments > Thanos Invades Fortnite
4. Re: Thanos Invades Fortnite May 8, 2018, 18:14 NKD

Oh snap!  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 8, 2018, 10:45 NKD

How can Melania Trump plagiarize if some underpaid assistant wrote it? And by wrote it I mean copied it from the Obama administration verbatim.

I love this pattern with the Trump administration though. Every person is one of the worst people imaginable for their given role, not just Trump himself.

Melania running Anti-Cyberbullying campaign while her husband is cyberbullying people.

Science deniers in charge of every science-related department.

Corrupt industry execs in charge of every regulatory body.

Jared Kushner who as far as I can tell does nothing, supposedly is in charge of like 50 different things.

Disinformation Minister Sarah Huckabee-Sanders whose job it is to go out and lie to the press, isn't even a good liar.

You could randomly pick people out of a crowd at a football game and you'd probably end up with more qualified, competent, and generally just more decent people.

News Comments > Steam Survey Win7 Error Fixed
5. Re: Steam Survey Win7 Error Fixed May 6, 2018, 02:11 NKD

Yeah the survey results got all kinds of fucked up. Was pretty clear what happened when you factored in the Simplified Chinese outlier.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue May 2, 2018, 17:41 NKD

I know we've got a couple Flat Earthers around here, wonder if they'd care to come out and "enlighten" us?  

News Comments > etc., etc.
22. Re: etc., etc. May 2, 2018, 16:00 NKD

Beamer wrote on May 2, 2018, 10:56:
But hey, keep thinking medicine prefers to keep people paying for treatment, even when people are terminal. Wouldn't a treatment of cancer that kept patients alive for decades, needing medicine, be preferable to one that kept them alive for months?

Yeah. It's bad business to let your customers die, for obvious reasons. Cure cancer, increase human longevity, you're going to have more people alive at any given time, which increases the need for other types of healthcare, which in turn means more money for healthcare profiteers. The "there's a secret cure for cancer but its worth more to just keep it secret" shit is definitely just a stupid conspiracy theory.

That's not how science works anyway. Even if you get some scientists to hide their discovery, some other group of scientists is going to discover the same thing on their own a few years later, and so on.

15. Re: etc., etc. May 2, 2018, 09:41 NKD

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 2, 2018, 07:12:
jdreyer wrote on May 2, 2018, 03:39:
I do take solace that, as a race, we continue to improve our technology, and that someday, death from cancer will no longer be a thing.

It will continue to be a thing so long as medicine and healthcare are profit driven. There is far more money, currently, in treating cancer than in curing it. No cure will be forthcoming so long as treating it is a billions per year cash cow.

I don't know about that. It's not a zero sum situation. Curing cancer doesn't have to mean these companies lose all kinds of money. After all, most people cured of cancer are going to go on to die of some other medical issue that will need research and treatment.

That's what's so terrible about how profit driven our healthcare is. There's always going to be a way to milk tons of money out of people because of the inelastic demand.

33. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2018, 23:59 NKD

Numinar wrote on May 1, 2018, 23:36:

30 day waiting period would probably do it. Especially if the process involves evaluation and counselling. A lot of young people are in pain and don't want to live but can be treated in order to see the other side.

Yeah. Some mental conditions are easier treated than others. Some might not even know there's a treatment. We'd definitely want a real evaluation in addition to whatever waiting period is appropriate. If someone isn't in really agonizing pain, they'll be more than willing to wait 1-3 months to get off the ride.

Personally, I'd probably take the option if it was available. I don't have a terminal health condition, but my overall health is poor thanks to shitty hereditary issues on both sides of my family. My QOL in 10 years or so is going to be pretty bad. I go months without drinking, and other than the occasional bowl, I don't smoke, so I got that going for me. Only a few family members left. No wife, no kids. Not really anyone who would be hurt by my passing.

I see so many older folks who are basically completely alone and living a really miserable life. I wouldn't want to end up like that. I hope by the time I am older that we've got a more humane view on suicide here.

7. Re: etc., etc. May 1, 2018, 21:20 NKD

TB has been one of the most reliable guys to go to when it came to finding out if I was gonna like a game.

Gonna miss his content. I hope he enjoys his last days as much as possible and that his wife and son handle it as well as can be expected.

24. Re: Out of the Blue May 1, 2018, 17:15 NKD

I think that all people, terminally ill or not, should have access to a humane and comfortable death if they've decided they are done. A mandatory waiting period of 30 days or so should hopefully keep impulsive suicides down and ensure only people who really want out are using it.

There is no reason we should be telling someone they have to keep living when they don't want to, or force them to kill themselves in an unreliable (and potentially messy) way that could put a burden on other people or leave them in an even worse state.

Some people are in immense amounts of pain. Others suffer from untreatable mental illness. Others just don't have a lot to live for and even just existing from day to day becomes tiresome. I have nothing but sympathy for these people and I'd never ask them to keep going because of some hollow platitudes about things getting better.

5443 Comments. 273 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo