Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request
Description Watch out, this one's some kinda mech.
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 6144 (Guru)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 22, 2019, 10:14 NKD

Just don't try him with a sorry ass receiver like Crabtree.  

Welcome to the Retirement Home for Old People Terrified Of Change
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Shenmue III Backer Steam Key Plans Hazy
9. Re: Shenmue III Backer Steam Key Plans Hazy Sep 21, 2019, 14:15 NKD

Zord wrote on Sep 21, 2019, 00:35:
I've checked Blues News for years, and am just glad someone is finally giving Steam some real competition, tired of all the conspiracy and hate. I guess it really is best to never read the comments, lest you start making them.

Still waiting for the "competition" you're talking about. I've said this here a billion times, but EGS is competing on the publisher-side. They give a better deal to publishers. If you think publishers are going to pass those savings onto us or re-invest it into game budgets, you're a lot more optimistic than most. They will just pocket it.

News Comments > Industry Group: Steam Refund Ruling Incorrect
29. Re: Industry Group: Steam Refund Ruling Incorrect Sep 20, 2019, 21:01 NKD

Cutter wrote on Sep 20, 2019, 18:40:
How much did EA make last year? Ubisoft? Activision? Oh yeah, they're barely scraping by. Oh yeah, and game prices for new triple A titles here are $80 on average with CE's surpassing $130 so yeah, they are keeping up with inflation. Jesus, are some of you seriously crying for how hard done by assholes like Bobby Nodick would be?

I think people are more concerned with what this would do to smaller operations that can't afford to do the things it would take to adapt to this change in business model. Those big companies will be fine, they'll find a way to get their money out of you.

But how the fuck is some indie developer going to cope with this? How would they make any money if after a few days they stopped making sales because everyone was just swapping around the same pool of used copies?

News Comments > Industry Group: Steam Refund Ruling Incorrect
19. Re: Industry Group: Steam Refund Ruling Incorrect Sep 20, 2019, 18:02 NKD

Primalchrome wrote on Sep 20, 2019, 16:58:
By allowing immediate and accessible resale of a non-degrading digital product it means you can have a single license turn around 10 times in a week. Meaning the publisher received one sale whereas it had ten consumed instances of the product. Single player games will be crushed by week one resales.

Yep. You would have enough recycled keys to meet demand after a week at most, after which the publisher will see virtually no sales. It doesn't take a genius to see how disruptive this would be, or how it differs from other forms of resale. It would require a serious alteration of business model, likely some kind of subscription or streaming service where you never make an individual purchase of a game, and thus can never argue you own it.

In other cases, you have all sorts of reasons for people to buy new instead of used. They want a less beat up item, or they want something with an intact warranty and/or return policy, etc.

For digital game resale you're talking about two buttons, one which purchases from the publisher for a certain price, and one which purchases from another user at a much lower price. Both of which give you the exact same thing. What's the incentive to buy from the publisher? The buttons might as well be labelled "Buy At Full Price" and "Buy Cheap."

It also changes how people keep a library of games. You want to buy games and then resell them as soon as possible while you can flip it for a decent price. If you ever want to replay it you can buy it back once supply has completely dwarfed demand and forced prices down to nothing.

Rilcon wrote on Sep 20, 2019, 17:58:
lmao

Game prices are far lower than they should be, they've been kept at a mythical $60 for two decades out of fear of angering fickle consumers, which has just been pushing publishers to invest in DLC, season passes, microtransactions, lootboxes, online features, etc. to boost returns on successful games for when the equally expensive to produce failures happen. Meanwhile indie companies just die left and right it's 1348.

If you just look at inflation alone (not accounting for how expensive some other forms of entertainment have gotten, which has far exceeded inflation) then a $50 game in 1989 is the equivalent of a $100 game in 2019. Back then pricing for games was less consistent, too. Some games were higher than that.

Games have gotten more expensive to produce, and cheaper to buy as time goes on.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Sep 20, 2019, 15:04 NKD

Game-development-as-a-service  

News Comments > Minecraft Adding Character Creator
1. Re: Minecraft Adding Character Creator Sep 20, 2019, 11:30 NKD

I only play the Java version but this sounds cool for the folks playing on the Bedrock versions.  

News Comments > French Court Says Steam Should Allow Game Resales
24. Re: French Court Says Steam Should Allow Game Resales Sep 20, 2019, 03:24 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Sep 20, 2019, 02:43:
They're making changes to the business model whether we like it or not. As soon as the bandwidth can support it, all the major publishers will switch to a Netflix-style streaming model for games. This this "Do you own or rent your Steam games?" becomes moot.

You're probably right!

Red886 wrote on Sep 20, 2019, 02:49:
hen members of parliament can make a new law that says games are still owned by consumers regardless of the method of delivery, and that ownership still comes with all the perks of physical ownership

And then businesses can find some other way to get money out of you. Regardless of what laws are passed, they will find a way to make money. Even if they can't, they simply won't do business in your region. Besides, it'd be really hard to argue that if you're paying a subscription to some game streaming service that you own any games, the same way that you don't own the entire Netflix library.

News Comments > French Court Says Steam Should Allow Game Resales
20. Re: French Court Says Steam Should Allow Game Resales Sep 20, 2019, 02:23 NKD

This type of thing worries me because it's one of those things that could be so disruptive that the industry has no choice but to make drastic changes in business model.

You wouldn't get even 10% the number of digital sales you get today if there were a pool of "used" copies circulating large enough to cover the entirety of demand. There'd be no reason to buy from the publisher when you could buy from another user.

They'd have to go full-on Games-as-a-service with their own external authentication layers or go under.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Sep 20, 2019, 01:59 NKD

There should be a giant fucking statue of this man.  

News Comments > Morning Previews
2. Re: Morning Previews Sep 18, 2019, 12:21 NKD

Cutter wrote on Sep 18, 2019, 11:51:
I didn't read the article but I'm going to state something everyone knows based on what I imagine it says.

A society of people who live for centuries or millenia has to plan for climate change and other shit in a way that humans don't.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 18, 2019, 10:14 NKD

Confused. If it's a different story in the same universe, then how is it called Galactica? First Cylon War prequel?  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 15, 2019, 16:42 NKD

I've read a lot about the concept of free will and frankly most of the "debate" is almost semantic in nature. It's less about whether it exists and more about how to define the concept.

Some folks think we have free will because we feel like we're making choices and decisions, and that's all that really matters. At the other end you have people who posit that without some magical outside force that we're using to compel the brain into action, you can't have free will.

I tend to fall in the latter camp. Our brains are a physical system like any other, and the thoughts and actions we take are the result of the laws of physics acting on that system.

News Comments > Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch
16. Re: Borderlands 3's Successful, Buggy Launch Sep 14, 2019, 18:59 NKD

Baghdad Bob wrote on Sep 14, 2019, 16:02:
Simple issues with simple fixes. Cool
nothing to see here. Americans are burning in their tanks, everything is fine.

News Comments > Churchgoers Released
2. Re: Churchgoers Released Sep 14, 2019, 01:15 NKD

Bill Borre wrote on Sep 14, 2019, 00:58:
heh. When I first started reading I thought it was going to be about one of Catholic choir boys on a quest for vengeance.

Hey, that's really unfair dude, give the JWs credit for the kids they molest too, while hiding the perps. Don't let the Catholics steal ALL their thunder.

News Comments > Nicalis Founder Apologizes
1. Re: Nicalis Founder Apologizes Sep 13, 2019, 20:10 NKD

Is it so hard to just have a little professionalism and not make jabs at Jews and black people in your communications with clients?  

News Comments > Borderlands 3 Released
51. Re: Borderlands 3 Released Sep 13, 2019, 18:50 NKD

Pirate Bay Exclusive  

News Comments > Saturday Previews
5. Re: Saturday Previews Sep 8, 2019, 00:09 NKD

Article mentions binary bodies orbiting a common barycenter as a potential challenge. I wonder if this is just their imagination or if they are actually doing n-body gravity. There's the Principia mod for KSP1 that adds n-body gravity, it's significantly more difficult for people to wrap their heads around than the on-rails/sphere of influence system KSP1 uses.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
9. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 4, 2019, 22:54 NKD

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 4, 2019, 20:28:
Read that as Senator Mark Zuckerberg and thought I was in an Episode of the Twilight Zone. Original series, not the new sucky one.

After President Donald Trump, Senator Mark Zuckerberg wouldn't even rate a "Huh."

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Sep 4, 2019, 15:07 NKD

This can't be possible. I was assured by some folks here that young, white, straight males were the most oppressed and underrepresented group in all forms of media.  

News Comments > Kung Fu Jesus Announced Redux
6. Re: Kung Fu Jesus Announced Redux Sep 4, 2019, 15:02 NKD

Kxmode wrote on Sep 4, 2019, 14:02:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 4, 2019, 14:01:
Kung Fu Messiah?

No, the OTHER M-word. The one that turns people into crazed killers if you speak ill of that name.

Mahershala Ali? I have to admit I turn into a crazed killer when someone speaks ill of him. One of the best actors currently working.

6144 Comments. 308 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo