Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NKD

Real Name NKD   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname NKD
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 3, 2007, 17:05
Total Comments 4508 (Master)
User ID 43041

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
7. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Apr 22, 2017, 22:56 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Apr 22, 2017, 13:59:
Russian man gets longest-ever US hacking sentence, 27 years in prison.

And yet people convicted of manslaughter routinely get half that.

I hate to skirt closely to giving a number value to human life, but this dude didn't hack some website to have Dickbutt on the front page. He committed zillions of counts of fraud and hundreds of millions of dollars of damage. I think that's enough to warrant some serious time, even if no one died.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bad_cop_no_donut - For the latest developments in police misconduct in the US.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Trailer
17. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Trailer Apr 16, 2017, 23:39 NKD

Orogogus wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 22:37:
NKD wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 21:13:
Hell, there hasn't even really been any notable crowdfunding efforts to make space sims.

The rest of the post looked reasonable -- how many people out there even have joysticks any more? -- but was this closer sarcasm?

Yes it was a shot at Star Citizen

https://www.reddit.com/r/bad_cop_no_donut - For the latest developments in police misconduct in the US.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Trailer
15. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Trailer Apr 16, 2017, 21:13 NKD

VaranDragon wrote on Apr 16, 2017, 06:18:
Why is no one doing a Tie Fighter sequel/remake?

Seems pretty obvious to me why that is.

How many flight/space sims get made these days? Very few. And the ones that do are relatively low budget affairs made by small studios and sold to small audiences. Studios way too small to even get in the door as far as getting licensing for Star Wars.

Big studios don't "waste" time and resources on tiny budget games, and the flight/space sim market is too small for a proper AAA game. Why make a space sim and sell it to a niche market, when for the same price you can make a shooter and sell it to everyone and their cousin?

As much as I'd like to see a proper TIE Fighter sequel or remake, I think the fact that there hasn't come close to being a proper successor even outside the Star Wars license goes to show how much money developers think there is in such a project.

Hell, there hasn't even really been any notable crowdfunding efforts to make space sims.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Patched
3. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Patched Apr 6, 2017, 21:27 NKD

I mentioned this in the other thread but human and asari faces are improved significantly by the changes to the eyes, and other changes have been made to animation.

For example, the "my face is tired" lady, who is an early and obvious example of the problem. She now has entirely different, more aggressive body language and facial expressions that more correctly depict her as an insufferable bitch.

In playing through the early game again, I've seen a few other random examples where glaringly obvious shit animations have been changed. Lexi in the prologue when the gravity turns back on, for example, used to have a super exaggerated expression on her face, and doesn't anymore.

Some random chick on the Hyperion who was always crab walking for me now walks normally. I can't get Ryder stuck in weird animations anymore either, where before I could do it on command.

Plus a lot of weird bugs with some quests that made them impossible to complete have apparently been fixed. Motion blur can now be turned off (thank god). Also the ability to skip the bulk of the planet-to-planet cruising cutscene. All in all a good patch with a lot of fixes. Obviously no major reworks of the game, so if you simply don't find the game fun, you still won't. But people who like the game are getting some solid fixes.

News Comments > BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character
57. Re: BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character Apr 6, 2017, 18:03 NKD

Overon wrote on Apr 6, 2017, 17:45:
Okay eyes are better in a still screenshot. Are all the character's eyes fixed? How are they going to fix all those facial animations?

It was a global change to all the Human and Asari eyes. They have better shadowing and reflection. As far as animations go, I feel like the lip syncing is matching up a bit better now, but that might be placebo effect, as I haven't seen a direct comparison.

I still feel that the face animations, overall, are in kind of a pseudo uncanny valley. It usually matches up pretty nicely, but those situations where it doesn't stick out so much more because of it.

The main issue with the faces isn't the animation IMHO, it's the lack of variety in the head meshes, particularly for Asari. True, in the original Mass Effect trilogy the Asari all kind of had the same face with the exception of special characters, but it's easier to get away with a texture swap on a relatively low poly model. For these higher quality head meshes, you can see they are identical instantly no matter how drastically different the texture or color is.

News Comments > BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character
54. Re: BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character Apr 6, 2017, 17:39 NKD

People and companies being at the mercy of vocal idiots on Twitter is on of the worst things to come out of the Internet. It's too easy for shitty opinions, or valid opinions that are blown out of proportion, to get amplified and stir up an unwarranted shitstorm.

The "apology" letter probably has more words in it than the entire dialogue tree of the character in question. That's how blown up this shit is.

I try not to paint with too broad a brush on this though. Not every trans person is an over sensitive Twitter retard, and a lot of over sensitive Twitter retards aren't even trans and get offended on other peoples behalf.

The other problem with this amplification/signal boosting of pointless shit is that often times they begin innocently enough. Someone is like "Hey, this line of dialogue is very strange and may be offensive, thought you might want to know." And then 12 hours later there's a shitstorm because SJWs freak the fuck out and that in turn causes the people who spend all their time bitching about SJWs to ALSO freak out.

The first few people talking about these things never get it through their heads that despite their innocent and well-meaning intentions, it can only result in a shitstorm with dogpiling and harassment.

There's just really no way to constructively give feedback on sensitive topics, even to the smallest degree, without it getting blown the fuck up.

As an aside, the patch this morning really fixed up a lot of the human lifeless stare problem. Check out this side by side comparison of the most egregious example. Patched on left, original on right.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Patch This Week
53. Re: Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Plans Apr 5, 2017, 19:54 NKD

Anyone come up with a build that can take out on Architect on Insanity without using cover? I try to avoid using cover as much as possible usually but on Insanity it's pretty difficult. My character is an Adept glass cannon right now for example and my shields last maybe 2 or 3 shots from a fodder enemy. The only reason I live is amazing offense and crowd control.

I could make a cheesy i-frame build I guess and just avoid attacks that way.

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Apr 5, 2017, 13:45 NKD

Beamer wrote on Apr 5, 2017, 01:49:
I hardly noticed FEAR AI. The game had one flaw, of trying to do too much. Most notably, if you used slowmo often, and my first playthrough I did, you killed guys before they could do much.

I remember starting a second playthrough where I switched the keys for grenade and slowmo, making the latter harder to hit and therefore less used, and saw reactions that never showed up in my first playthrough. Pretty cool ones.

But, with slowmo, guys died before they could do much.

Reminds me of the old story about Ultima Online development. They had this complicated system for how monster spawns would work that they put a lot of thought into. But it didn't work in practice because the players simply killed the monsters too aggressively for the system to actually have any perceivable effect.

41. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Patch This Week Apr 5, 2017, 12:00 NKD

JohnQP wrote on Apr 5, 2017, 07:30:
P.S., how does that whole "aloof and snobby Asari" thing stand next to the "hookers of the galaxy" thing? Not disagreeing with you, but, 2+2, shouldn't Asari be a laughing stock? (Sounds like a dev has a Madonna/Whore complex)

Bioware has kind of retconned the whole Asari dancer thing. They've been portrayed differently, particularly since ME3. In Andromeda you've got Asari doing just about everything except dancing. Scientists, pilots, mercs, diplomats, merchants, criminals, etc.

28. Re: Game Reviews Apr 5, 2017, 06:10 NKD

Kxmode wrote on Apr 5, 2017, 02:49:
Thanks, NKD but at the risk of reading spoilers, I'll just conclude based on your word count you like the game.

I didn't post any spoilers, unless you consider a couple names of companions a spoiler. I'm always careful about that.

peteham wrote on Apr 5, 2017, 04:28:

Huzzah on skipping Remnant-sudoku. I generally enjoy puzzles that are in the game world, including some of the door console vault "secret" puzzles that a lot of people seem to hate, but I found the sudoku stuff really tedious.

Yeah at first before I got the hang of it there were a few that took me several minutes to solve. But now it's just super quick, I don't even bother using my decryption keys, I sell them for creds. Basically I made the mistake of randomly filling in symbols trying to get things to match up. I started looking at the shaped sections and found it easy to spot glyphs that could only go in one place. Now it takes me about 20 seconds per puzzle. I had never played Sudoku before so that's probably why I struggled at first.

SlimRam wrote on Apr 5, 2017, 06:02:
The fact that you have 158 hours in this game (without multiplayer) is astounding and gives me total mahogany. I adore long games and am a YUUUUUGE Mass Effect fan and this seems awesome! Were you actually "doing stuff" the whole time, or was this kinda "learning stuff and exploring" included?

About to get enough money for this and REALLY considering diving in!

Well I talked to basically everyone and listened to what they had to say so I could soak in the lore and backstory. Didn't really do a lot of dialogue skipping. Also I've only played on Insanity so there were a few really tough fights where it took me 15 minutes to finally stop dying and beat them. I also spent a good amount of time screwing around with my gear and crafting stuff. That can be somewhat time consuming because of the crappy UI and having to reload saves to reset the vendor to buy more augments.

I spent some time dicking around with the Nomad just exploring and ramping it off stuff, but my first playthrough was 80+ hours and I maybe spent 4-5 of those hours in total just wandering randomly in the Nomad. The rest was time spent on actually doing quests and killing stuff and talking to people.

You can get through the game super quick if you ignore all sidequests, spacebar the dialogue, and play on easy mode. But there is a ton of side content, and a lot of it is really good and doesn't feel like filler at all.

22. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Patch This Week Apr 5, 2017, 02:22 NKD

Acleacius wrote on Apr 5, 2017, 01:40:
Has anyone found out how much of the game was cut to make dlc, about 30% as usual?

It's hard to say. There are definitely plenty of unanswered questions at the end that could lead to DLC or a sequel. But the fact that there was no season pass leads me to believe that they didn't have any cut content waiting to be sold as DLC. There's literally no reason not to do a season pass if you have DLC waiting in the wings. They would just be pissing away money by not having a season pass.

Kxmode wrote on Apr 5, 2017, 02:11:
@NKD, or anyone who has played for a significant amount of time, does the game get better? I would imagine if you have 150+ hours in it then the answer would be yes.

The story has a completely different feel than the Shep trilogy. About half the Mass Effect fans love it, the other half hate it. Despite the stakes for the Andromeda Initiative being high, it doesn't really compare to the stakes in the original trilogy with the Reapers and the end of all advanced life in the Milky Way. You're also in a civilian outfit instead of a military one. You're playing a younger person thrust into a role they weren't necessarily ready for, instead of Commander Special Forces Badass who is so badass N7 wasn't badass enough they had to become a Spectre.

Along with the civvy outfit comes bureaucracy and a lot of annoying types like Udina from ME1. You have to do a lot of politicking.

All in all I'd say the story, quality wise, is better than ME1, but not as good as the trilogy as a whole. The story feels like its a setup for another trilogy IMHO. But as I said, the tone is different so it's not going to appeal to some of the fans of the original, while others may enjoy this just as much if not more.

The main reason I feel the story is getting a lot of criticism is people are comparing it to a completed trilogy that had a lot more time to build up its story and deliver a payoff. (Though people didn't much care for the payoff in ME3, so...)

As far as MMO fetch quests, those are typically under the "Task" section, and are easily ignored. They don't lock any of the meaningful story content behind these types of tasks. Or really any story content at all to be honest. Many of them don't even have map markers because they are just random shit you find laying around while you kill things. My first playthrough was like 80+ hours and I didn't go out of my way even a little bit to complete the Task section.

The squadmates, aside from Liam and sometimes Cora, are fantastic. Drack is easily the best Krogan squadmate yet, and Peebee is an Asari who has obviously spent way too much time around humans. She's honestly more human than the human crew, in that she actually has some character flaws and doesn't feel like your typical aloof and kinda snobby Asari.

Those are my thoughts on what are essentially the "unpatchable" parts of the game.

This comment was edited on Apr 5, 2017, 02:41.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Apr 5, 2017, 00:52 NKD

Really only recently have games caught up to FEAR in AI.

If I had to guess as to why we don't see more advancement on that front, I see a few possibilities.

The first thing that comes to mind with regards to the advancement of other aspects of games, is that someone was able to come up with middleware people can license and/or use freely to save them from having to re-invent the wheel. We have yet to see any real widespread adoption of any AI middleware.

I think this is because a quality AI game opponent needs to be tailored to the specific "rules" of a single game. You could make an AI that works in any barebones cover shooter, sure. But once any interesting mechanics are added to the mix, the whole thing falls apart. Without co-operation between developers to create something, it's just going to be a series of disconnected proprietary solutions of varying levels of quality that are inextricable from the game they were developed for.

My second thought is the issue of consumer pressure. Or rather, the lack of consumer pressure. Lots of people play games on Easy, Story Mode, or use cheats. Even if you don't offer meaningful difficulty options, people look up strategies and guides for the easiest way to play. People who want challenging opponents play multiplayer games against humans. There isn't really a lot of noise for better AI opponents. So why focus more on AI?

Thirdly, well, this is more of an extension of my first thought. Creating a really good game AI for a single game is going to be a huge amount of effort to create something that you can't reuse later on. Developers can get half a dozen projects out of any given piece of in-house tech, but I don't see that working out well for AI unless you're cranking out identical games over and over. But those identical games are often multiplayer focused, or sports games that are simulating the same exact game every year.

15. Re: Heroes of the Storm 2.0 Plans Apr 4, 2017, 23:57 NKD

Well I'm up to 158 hours in Andromeda and I still haven't done multiplayer.

I just love the combat and the Nomad too much to stop playing. Right now I'm playing primarily as an Adept with Throw, Lance, and Singularity. It's extremely powerful on most enemies because you can do enormous biotic combos that chain react a ton of explosions. But things like Ascendants go down pretty slowly, and I haven't dared try an Architect with this profile.

Going to dip into the multiplayer soon I think.

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 Free Update Plans
1. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Free Update Plans Mar 28, 2017, 21:10 NKD

4 player co-op in June, up from 2 players. That's cool. I still haven't gotten around to finishing Watch Doge 2. I ended up getting distracted by the multiplayer for like two weeks and then ended up playing some other things.

Not a super high priority for me, but what little I played of it was quite a bit better than the first game, which I already thought was kind of okay.

News Comments > etc., etc.
8. Re: etc., etc. Mar 28, 2017, 12:48 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Mar 27, 2017, 23:13:

Why hire testers when your fan base will test for you?

Testers aren't the problem. These games get thoroughly tested and the bugs get reported.

They don't get fixed because people higher up the food chain want to get the game out the door and so a great many problems get de-prioritized in favor of (usually) polishing up the first few hours of the game for reviewers.

You can tell when this has happened when you run into obvious bugs or UX hindrances that are universally experienced and not quirky one-offs. There is zero chance even a criminally understaffed QA team missed those or did not report them.

The shittiness of the ME: Andromeda UI is a good example. There is no way the QA testers were like "Yeah this is good. Cool." They are gamers just like us and probably got annoyed by the same shit but a UI revamp was never put on the agenda.

Another thing in ME:A that shows where their focus was... once you research an item to level 5, you can research an advanced version for levels 6-10. The UI here is broken as hell. The bars don't light up to show you the research in that tier, and the Tier 10 level limitation doesn't work properly. Another similar bug is the fact that Blahblahblah VIII weapons and mods don't properly exist in the game. From levels 60 until you hit 71, you won't get any leveled armor or mods or weapons to drop or to show up on a vendor.

With 80+ hours in my playthrough I only hit level 57 or so. The average player zipping through the game will never run into either of these problems. A reviewer certainly won't. So it's definitely a case of rushing the game out the door and hoping for the best by prioritizing fixes for the early game.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
10. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Mar 28, 2017, 11:59 NKD

Redmask wrote on Mar 28, 2017, 07:55:
NKD wrote on Mar 27, 2017, 20:50:
So I just beat the main story at 87% completion with 85 hours on the game clock.

NKD wrote on Mar 27, 2017, 11:24:
So I'm over 60 hours into my ME:A playthrough now... and I'm still planning on diving right into a NG+ after this one.

You played 25 hours since yesterday? How does that work?

On the first post I was just looking at Origin, on the second I was just remembering what I had seen on the gamesave screen a couple hours earlier. Origin tells me one thing, the actual gamesave tells me another.

This video about the game is the most accurate I've seen so far.

No stupid gimmicks for the teenagers or jokes in it either, just thoughtful commentary.

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Mar 28, 2017, 03:46 NKD

SAM is pretty talkative out there. It would be annoying if I wasn't so good at tuning out shit like that. There needs to be kind of a cool down period on SAM's warnings.  

7. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Mar 27, 2017, 20:50 NKD

So I just beat the main story at 87% completion with 85 hours on the game clock. Seems like about 100 hours is what it would take if I did the rest, not counting time spent just ramping the Nomad and seeing what stupid shit I can do with it.

Granted I was playing on Insanity, which probably slowed me down quite a lot since I love the combat and took any excuse I could get to fight some baddies. Not much dying though with my retarded OP build I was running with.

My recommendation for anyone thinking of playing this is to do the bare minimum to complete the main story, or just a little more than that, and then do the rest of the game after you finish the main story.

Waiting 70+ hours to see the story out is not something I would recommend doing, because it's actually really good.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 27, 2017, 11:38 NKD

intermarer wrote on Mar 27, 2017, 11:09:
You must admit, though, that it's quite applicable and descriptive in this day and age

Eh, the phrase has been twisted and abused into meaninglessness now.

"Special snowflake" when used pejoratively, is supposed to signify a person who has unreasonable expectations that their own personal needs be met over the needs of others.

But today you see the term trotted out (usually by /pol/tards) to describe vast swaths of the population.

The term is basically used today to mean "someone who is concerned about something I'm not personally concerned about".

Which, quite frankly, makes the person using the term more of a snowflake than anyone else, because they are dismissing the concerns of a lot of people simply because they personally don't give a shit.

1. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Mar 27, 2017, 11:03 NKD

So I'm over 60 hours into my ME:A playthrough now... and I'm still planning on diving right into a NG+ after this one.

After more time with the game, I can say this is my favorite Mass Effect game. Don't get me wrong, it definitely has weak points compared to the previous games, but all the hate it is getting is VASTLY out of proportion given how good the game actually is.

The Nomad really makes it. You feel like you have so much freedom, and unlike ME1, the planets feel alive and there is a lot to find and do. I spent half an hour in the middle of doing a main quest to just do jumps in the Nomad on the Low-gravity world.

People who said the squadmates are boring are straight up retarded. The only one who seems boring is Cora because she's kind of a buttoned up military type. But even then she's less of an ice queen than Miranda fucking Lawson. I think on my DudeRyder playthrough I am going to bang Vetra (the female turian squadmate), she is really cool.

Combat, gameplay, all better than they've ever been. Multiplayer is fun as well if you liked ME3 MP. The story just gets better as you play, and the game does a really good job of nailing the central premise of what it is to be a "Pathfinder" You're part diplomat, part explorer, part badass. Emphasis on the Explorer part. Also, its nice to ditch the military baggage that came with the original trilogy. It's a civilian op and it shows. They do a great job of highlighting the differences and don't make you feel like you've just directly transplanted Milky Way sensibilities into a lawless frontier.

I saw a lot of criticism of the writing. I've found very few examples of cringe dialogue. Probably a lesser amount by % than any of the previous games. The writing is probably on par with the previous games overall. So if you like Bioware writing (or hate it) it's still basically the same stuff.

Anyway, back to poopsocking Andromeda.

4508 Comments. 226 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo