Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bard

Real Name Bard   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 28, 2000, 16:06
Total Comments 554 (Apprentice)
User ID 4299

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
2. Re: U.S. meets tech leaders, forms task force to fight online militants. T Jan 10, 2016, 01:05 Bard

"militants" = "whistleblowers"

yeah, every tech can see where this BS is going.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider GeForce Bundles
1. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider GeForce Bundles Jan 7, 2016, 18:34 Bard

do you need to give nvidia access to your steam profile for this 'free' game?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2015, 14:08 Bard

Motorhead marathon while working today.

S! Lemmy.

News Comments > Division Leaked Alpha Footage
23. UBISOFT? No thanks Dec 22, 2015, 10:11 Bard

purveyors of system screwing DRM and unfinished products..  

News Comments > EVE Online Updated
15. Re: EVE Online Updated Dec 8, 2015, 16:31 Bard

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 16:12:
bhcompy wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 15:40:
thecakeisalie wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 13:58:
How about they finally fix CONCORD and curb the suicide ganking and exploiting? CODE and Goonswarm were making it almost impossible for many traders to get through the "choke point" systems which, despite being major commerce routes, were barely high-sec. And why are pirates allowed in high security space without being podded by CONCORD and NPC military units again? What is the point of having high security space if it's not really high security? Why don't stations refuse docking to pirates in high security space? Why are they coddled at the expense of PVE players? EVE's dev team and admins constantly screw over their PVE player base. No wonder the game is slowly dying.

Before I quit again they had suicide gankers and griefers actually attacking newbies in the newbie systems, which is supposed to be bannable yet I never saw anyone actually banned for it. No wonder people don't stick around.

I think those problems are a hell of a lot more pressing than adding some flashy new graphics and a few new ships, most of which seem only useful to Alliances or PVP gangs. They're just slapping lipstick on the pig.

Well, that's just your opinion, man.

There are very distinct rules and reasons why certain things happen in the game with regards to global criminal status and such. Now, there has always been an issue with disseminating this information to newbs, but that's an acknowledged problem that is incrementally being made better over the past decade by constant improvement to the newb missions and such.

For true anti-social carebears, this game is not for you, but that's pretty much made clear. If you're social, though, you can carebear in highsec, lowsec, or nullsec given you make the right friends, and making friends is not all that hard, particularly for industrial types.

I can tell you that you're doing it wrong.

Suicide ganks in high-sec are costly. You need 26 battleships to take out a freighter before CONCORDOKKEN! (Instant killed by concord the NPC police). EVE is a world where you aren't "Safe" anywhere in space, that's the way it's made. If you're transporting a few billion in items in an easily destroyed ship, you're being stupid.

Most people will not suicide gank unless the payoff is worth more than the hassle. Never put your ship on "auto-pilot" and leave the screen because it warps 15 kms out side of the gates and proceeds to slowly drift to the gate to jump to the next zone. Suicide gankers will wait for those fat ships and scan their cargo, calculate worth and then pop. But it's very hard to do that when you warp to gate and jump instantly and coordinating enough people to kill you faster than concord will intervene.

Eve is a fantastic game that takes up too much time. That's the problem with it.

Eve has been "slowly" dying for years, then get record pilots in space then slowly die again and then record pilots.. It's not actually dying. It goes into lulls. Right now, my opinion of their most broken system is Sovereignty (space real estate) and they are spending tons of time revamping this right now. Goonswarm rules space because they are the most organized.

Lots of time to play = 3rd monitor on work machine

News Comments > EVE Online Updated
14. Re: EVE Online Updated Dec 8, 2015, 16:28 Bard

thecakeisalie wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 13:58:
How about they finally fix CONCORD and curb the suicide ganking and exploiting? CODE and Goonswarm were making it almost impossible for many traders to get through the "choke point" systems which, despite being major commerce routes, were barely high-sec. And why are pirates allowed in high security space without being podded by CONCORD and NPC military units again? What is the point of having high security space if it's not really high security? Why don't stations refuse docking to pirates in high security space? Why are they coddled at the expense of PVE players? EVE's dev team and admins constantly screw over their PVE player base. No wonder the game is slowly dying.

Before I quit again they had suicide gankers and griefers actually attacking newbies in the newbie systems, which is supposed to be bannable yet I never saw anyone actually banned for it. No wonder people don't stick around.

I think those problems are a hell of a lot more pressing than adding some flashy new graphics and a few new ships, most of which seem only useful to Alliances or PVP gangs. They're just slapping lipstick on the pig.

Just like the real world, the PoPo won't show up in High-sec quick enough to save you.

At least in Null Sec you have your corpmates and alliances keeping an eye out.

I found it safer living in Null Sec than in High-sec - and made a hell of a lot more while at it.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 19, 2015, 12:16 Bard

Oh piss off with the whole encryption = bad bs.

You're going to keep having terrorism whilst the power elite keeps trying to perform regime change in sovereign nations through means overt and covert.

Just because people are resisting it, doesn't mean the solution is to make ALL OF US less secure - and as us infosec guys who had to clean up after your heartbleed 'bug' know - your backdoors and other bs just results in having open doors for hackers and criminals.

You'll only stop terrorism by not funding, training, equipping, directing and operating terrorists, even when they're under your control - because as we can see - that works just as well as invasions....

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 16, 2015, 10:55 Bard

Surprise - MS releases an update and it re-enables the spy features of windows 10 people were turning off...

Microsoft can not be trusted.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
14. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 14, 2015, 21:34 Bard

harlock wrote on Nov 14, 2015, 18:13:
InBlack wrote on Nov 14, 2015, 15:35:
I think most of you are over-reacting.

of course they are... nobody has stopped to think how many man hours it would take to actually parse and utilize all this TOP SECRET INFO!!~!11!!! they are gathering about your shopping habits and so on

its just people being super fucking self-important, as usual.. thinking the world revolves around them and they are the center of the fucking universe

pro tip: NOBODY FUCKING CARES ABOUT YOUR SECRETS

Unless you're a journalist, whistleblower, activist, politician or celebrity.

So long as you're compliant, no one cares about your secrets. But what if you saw something tomorrow that made you want to become one of the above?

13. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 14, 2015, 21:32 Bard

InBlack wrote on Nov 14, 2015, 15:35:
I think most of you are over-reacting. Don't get me wrong, I don't like this shit for the obvious reasons, but remember this shit works both ways. The corps and the power elite will be on the cloud same as all the regular Joes, if anything because of the their status they will be under more scrutiny and more vulnerable to hackers and whistle-blowers than ever. Secrets are getting harder to keep, not easier.

I work in the infosec field - you're not paying attention to what has already happened if you think anyone is overreacting.

Snowden's revelations taught us that things are already far, far worse than what any of us thought was going on.

5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 14, 2015, 13:34 Bard

Luke wrote on Nov 14, 2015, 12:58:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 14, 2015, 12:28:
They can shove their clouds up their dumb asses. I will never put any of my personal data on a server that I can not control at all times. It's bad enough to have local data on a PC that is connected to the Internet 24/7 and not knowing which services are collecting data and spying on me in the background but outright putting data on a foreign remote machine? F.u.c.k o.f.f.

And yet you use winspy 10 ,

No - security conscious people definitely DO NOT use windows 10. Even though you can use a spybot utility to disable what's supposedly ALL the spying features all it takes is another update pushed out by MS for more spying to be installed.

The cloud is far, far worse. It'll get to a point where you won't even be able to disable anything.

The power elite (you know, the bankers, the industrialists, anyone who has involvement with the security state etc and use our governments to ensure THEIR interests are looked after at the cost of OURS) is scared shitless and most are just one whistleblower away from people finding out some pretty crappy stuff they are doing so centralizing computing (ie information) is a high priority, one step behind surveiling everything right now.

Future cloud computing where everything is in the cloud makes it easier to not only detect potential whistleblowers and neutralise them and their stories (RIP Michael Hastings)- but will in future allow complete control of the flow of information (Kinda like how facebook works now with their control of data spreading from feed to feed).

Cloud = BAD - we're just giving future evil the tools they need to be a society changing problem to our descendants.

News Comments > Blizzard Updating Older Games for Modern OSes
10. Re: Blizzard Updating Older Games for Modern OSes Nov 4, 2015, 17:59 Bard

This isn't about 'restoring them to glory' - it's to head off the new rights consumers have regarding abandonware...

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 4, 2015, 10:58 Bard

But Chertoff sure made a shitload on the sale of those body scanners.

This war on privacy/truth/muslims has one point. profit. Two decades from now replace muslims with whatever target, just as it has switched from commies/north koreans/vietnamese/iran/drugs/iraq/yugoslavians/iraq/libya etc etc.

Government, or should I say authority, is about self serving business interests

6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 29, 2015, 18:12 Bard

Luke wrote on Oct 29, 2015, 14:45:
Verno wrote on Oct 29, 2015, 10:34:
LOL people were worried about Microsoft selling some nebulous Windows 10 telemetry data which is only really useful for internal design and diagnostics. Meanwhile their smartphone documents almost everything they do, everywhere they go, they're being actively profiled for commercial purposes and the data is already being sold.

Always amuses me when someone says "oh I installed Cyangenomod so I'm fine" too, not realizing that they need their phone in permanent airplane mode to avoid it.

What a sad state of affairs, the government really needs to get on top of regulating that before its out of control.

You sure know what you talk about i see Clown

Indeed - when you can stop the app/os level BS it helps.

News Comments > Star Citizen Update and Trailer
4. Re: Star Citizen Update and Trailer Oct 28, 2015, 12:23 Bard

Haters gotta hate  

News Comments > DMCA Changes for Abandoned Games
7. Re: DMCA Changes for Abandoned Games Oct 27, 2015, 17:57 Bard

AHAH! that's why EA brought their SPORE servers back up the other day!  

News Comments > Star Citizen Ship Explosion Trailer
42. So Many Haters... Oct 9, 2015, 14:13 Bard

Seriously, go outside and get some sunshine! Might improve your mood

News Comments > Prison Architect Released
11. Re: Prison Architect Released Oct 7, 2015, 15:38 Bard

Privatised prisons.

The problems these cause for societies should be obvious.

If not, watch the documentary Angola Farm.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Specs; No Microtransaction Plans
30. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Specs; No Microtransaction Plans Oct 6, 2015, 16:50 Bard

InBlack wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 09:59:
Whats up with the half a MB/s internet connection?? I don't remember the last time a game needed that much bandwidth. Mega fail netcode?

Sounds like sufficient bandwidth for decent fidelity. God knows it's been ages since a game with more than 24 players had enough bandwidth.

News Comments > DCS World & L-39 Albatros Betas
3. Re: DCS World & L-39 Albatros Betas Oct 2, 2015, 15:51 Bard

MasaIV wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 14:32:
There was Shahoh's DCS Mustang Racing earlier this year. I don't know if it's still going on.

The development team was up for days getting the update ready to release to open beta. They had said they wanted it out at the end of September, and did absolutely everything they could to follow through.

The update ran perfectly for me. It is gorgeous and my FPS increased significantly with the update to 1.5. I'm really looking forward to the release of the Nevada map.

DCS World is free, and the modules occasionally go on sale. Definitely worth a try for anyone remotely interested in simulators.

Back in the early days of DCS (flaming cliffs) there were serious issues with effects and also the water rendering.

Can you tell me if say, you are in a location where there is no water anywhere nearby, if the water graphics settings still have an impact upon framerate?

554 Comments. 28 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo