Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bard

Real Name Bard   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 28, 2000, 16:06
Total Comments 472 (Amateur)
User ID 4299

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 23, 2016, 10:05 Bard

these days working in IT security is easy.

just say 'there is no IT security, just the illusion on one, thanks to the stupid dicks who think backdoors are 'good'.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
6. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jul 17, 2016, 16:32 Bard

Creston wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 14:10:
Tachikoma wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 12:58:
And in 8 years we will go though the same motions, again.

I think it'll only be four years, but yeah, your point is very valid.

Clinton: He could have been a whistleblower, he could have gotten all the protections of a whistleblower.

Which protections would those be, exactly, Hillary?
*crickets*

The ones the patriot act removed....

News Comments > Quake Champions Announced
58. Re: Quake Champions Announced Jul 1, 2016, 14:05 Bard

I never ran into a FPS game that was the pure perfect of Quake1 Rocket Arena for LAN and Team v Team play.

Everything else seemed to be less time spent in furious firefight, more time waiting to encounter someone.

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Sales Record
3. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Sales Record May 28, 2016, 01:27 Bard

on the fluff side, maybe - on the game side - WHFB was an obese ruleset where the game became one of rules lawyership and bullshit shennanigans. Kings of War is a far better wargame.

They went too far with age of Sigmar, but it opened up the scene to KoW - and that's turned out to be a good thing.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Stop the TSA security theatre May 26, 2016, 14:44 Bard

Tests have confirmed it is close to useless, and of not much more purpose than ripping off citizens of their tax dollars. Which was the purpose of the whole contrived situation that led to this.

News Comments > AMD Crimson Drivers
3. Re: AMD Crimson Drivers May 12, 2016, 17:45 Bard

"There is a list of known issues"

That there is exactly WHY i don't do AMD anymore.

Always some issue... and sometimes affecting even the top tier games (Skyrim for example).

Of course, some people have no problems....

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 28, 2016, 14:30 Bard

after looking at all the various 'features' of Windows 10, it's clear that the OS is moving to mass surveillance friendly. From IPv6's whole structure through to all the extra data being gathered.

which is all a fucking stupid direction.

it's hard enough to keep privacy and security without being undermined by old men making stupid decisions based on primetime tv IT magic.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 25, 2016, 12:17 Bard

With a court order, and pretty stringent requirements.

Unlike say... almost anywhere else??

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 19, 2016, 18:00 Bard

El Pit wrote on Jan 19, 2016, 13:30:
Owned by Facebook, low security, a true data magnet - I expect the Blue's News data security experts to have a field day with this even more than with Windows 10.

Then again - for most of those experts it seems to be alright to be spied on by their mobile phones.

Nope - this is not so much spying on everything you do on a computer. But it is more of the same facebook 'spam'.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 18, 2016, 18:10 Bard

They're all complete idiots.

This is what happens when you let luddites make technology policy.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 18, 2016, 10:25 Bard

AOL - the first attempt at controlling information on the internet.

News Comments > MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux)
56. Re: MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux) Jan 17, 2016, 02:33 Bard

HoSpanky wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 23:34:
So, I have Win10. Ran into one rather unfortunate issue when I upgraded, it's behaved rather well ever since. I wouldn't consider myself a "power user", but I'm also not Billy Bob Backwoods with no clue how to do anything. I don't do any automated backups or clever networking; the only info I need to keep is my resume and tax information, which is stored in multiple physical locations in case of Oh Shit. I do play a lot of games, and Win10 has performed successfully at that task.

As for the spying, I don't have much that I worry about on that front either, BUT I can see how it could be an issue for people with a more....volatile life. Win10 Enterprise would be ideal for them, but that is supposedly difficult to come by. If your job (say, foreign reporter) is dependent on secrecy, Windows in ANY form isn't your OS.

Here's the crux of the problem. "it doesn't affect me" is simply not true.

With the witchhunt that is 'get the whistleblowers' we're going from OS's that had privacy first then spying tacked on, to full on surveillance systems where privacy simply no longer exits.

Whistleblowers need to be able to get their information out, and when you are required to be a super-tech ninja to do so you can pretty much guarantee that 99.9% of whistleblowers will never get as far as disclosing what they are trying to.

While we don't dig our heels in and say 'this is not acceptable' we're allowing this surveillance to be put into place, and whilst this surveillance regime is emplaced we won't find out things we should - thing that DO affect us, like false flag terrorism, the financial industry ripping us off, pharma poisoning people, and all the things that whistleblowers have shown us in the past.

Not resisting this surveillance because we essentially have nothing to say that might need privacy and protection NOW means we'll not have the opportunity to say it EVER if thing are allowed to evolve as they are, and having seen how much we've been lied to in the past makes it clear to me the true nature of the world most of us live in, and that's not a world we should leave for our children to deal with once it's too late.

49. Re: MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux) Jan 16, 2016, 23:25 Bard

JeffD wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 22:36:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 15:23:
Windows 10 can be tamed if you know what you're doing

And everyone who says this can sod off. I don't "need" to work to silence windows 7 and windows 8. Windows 10 is a privacy nightmare. You may like giving up all control and information to MS, but I like to keep it a minimum. You may say you are not, but the fact you are using windows 10 says you are.

It's naive to think you can turn M$'s crap off - all it takes is MS to push out another update outside of the usual scope of updates (which they HAVE done in the past) and you're screwed.

You can always tell the inexperienced techs - they're the ones who say 'you can stop something happening' because they don't realize that the end control is always the vendor..

14. Re: MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux) Jan 16, 2016, 13:36 Bard

Acleacius wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 13:02:
Cutter wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 12:11:
Ok, Justice really needs to begin anti-trust against MS at this point.
EU has always been faster and more aggressive towards m$, but one can only hope.

Probably not with the Surveil everything directive.

13. Re: MS: New CPUs Will Require Windows 10 (or Linux) Jan 16, 2016, 13:35 Bard

Starting to look into migrating my pc related activities to Linux.

other than that - what better way to setup standardised surveillance than putting every winodws user onto the same OS?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 14, 2016, 13:32 Bard

PunkiBastardo wrote on Jan 14, 2016, 10:27:
Hadn't read about these wackos before, but I had a good laugh with the videos and all those homoerotic stories. Go internet!

Unfortunately the whole 'wackos' portrayal is meant to distract from a very real issue.

The US Government has been breaking its own laws trying to railroad people off land where rich resources have been discovered.

This is really about resistance to Tyranny, not wackos.

Typical COINTELPRO tactic, and one even Ghandi spoke about.

News Comments > EA Launches Origin Access Subscriptions
6. Re: EA Launches Origin Access Subscriptions Jan 12, 2016, 21:19 Bard

NKD wrote on Jan 12, 2016, 20:58:
Supposedly this has been pretty good value for money on the Xboner, but I'm not sure it's there yet for PC.

Still, 5 dollars a month is 1 full-price triple A game a year, so it wouldn't take much to make this worthwhile for most gamers.

Except... Origin.

News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution May Release Confirmed
6. Re: Homefront: The Revolution May Release Confirmed Jan 12, 2016, 14:23 Bard

Wonder if playing this game will put you on 'the list' - https://www.ise.gov/terrorist-watchlist

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
2. Re: U.S. meets tech leaders, forms task force to fight online militants. T Jan 10, 2016, 01:05 Bard

"militants" = "whistleblowers"

yeah, every tech can see where this BS is going.

News Comments > Rise of the Tomb Raider GeForce Bundles
1. Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider GeForce Bundles Jan 7, 2016, 18:34 Bard

do you need to give nvidia access to your steam profile for this 'free' game?

472 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo