Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Bard

Real Name Bard   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 28, 2000, 16:06
Total Comments 660 (Apprentice)
User ID 4299

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 6, 2019, 17:03 Bard

I don't think it's in US interests to force an alternative to android and IOS into the market - it would really screw with all the fine work being done by the NSA.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 6, 2019, 10:42 Bard

Skip to the TL;DR paragraph if you're easily bored....

Facebook were promoting two fake news sites as trending, though the sites were essentially lapsed domains grabbed a few months before the election, had RSS fed content systems installed and garbage stories injected until just before the election, where they started spreading a whole heap of nonsense targeting Trump.

Site analytics showed they had basically zero traffic history. It was later discovered (in unrelated stories) that Facebook trending articles aren't actually trending stories, but those the facebook team themselves chose to promote.

The people who bought the lapsed domains were sloppy and didn't anonymize their grabbing of those domains at first - but DNS transfer history showed they were a PR firm in Washington before they anonymized the registration info.

Essentially we had the Clinton campaign hiring a PR firm in Washington to spread fake news about Trump, and Facebook themselves choosing to promote those fake news stories as trended articles.

When I contacted the PR firm responsible, and posted on both the fake news sites facebook accounts the websites went offline and the facebook accounts disappeared.

TL;DR version - Facebook has a history of promoting fake news, and I expect their putting money into detecting deepfakes is directed at making better ones.

News Comments > Land of War: The Beginning Revealed
3. Re: Land of War: The Beginning Revealed Sep 1, 2019, 20:25 Bard

MattyC wrote on Sep 1, 2019, 09:55:
I think you are being pedantic considering the whole thing was barely over a month long. The Germans invaded on the 1st of September, but the Soviets didn't get involved until the 17th. The text makes it pretty clear you are fighting the Germans. It makes more sense to be focused when dealing with such a short overall duration, plus it reduces the number of art assets that would see minimal use.

At any rate, the studio is Polish with a .PL website that is in Polish. I am pretty sure they don't need lessons in their own history.

.... but hey.. why should we start getting accurate history anyway...

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 1, 2019, 17:33 Bard

pity windows 10 is the biggest piece of spyware we've ever been hit with...

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Aug 29, 2019, 09:59 Bard

hmm..

Facebook were caught pushing into people's feeds fake news sites on behalf of the Clinton campaign.

I don't feel confident that Facebook is to be trusted as arbitrators of rules...

News Comments > Ubisoft: Steam Business Model "Unrealistic"
4. Re: Ubisoft: Steam Business Model Aug 28, 2019, 10:47 Bard

steam is #1 for a reason..

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 26, 2019, 17:04 Bard

ALL the useless features?

sounds like the guy hasn't supported it.. Feels more like 50% of the features are useless

News Comments > Out of the Blue
36. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2019, 10:58 Bard

Nullity wrote on Aug 23, 2019, 13:44:
Cutter wrote on Aug 23, 2019, 12:50:
One down, one to go.
Damn, that's exactly what I came here to say.

mch wrote on Aug 23, 2019, 11:38:
I wonder who inherits his senators?

Just kidding, I'm sure his brother does.
I lol'd.

The only thing that gives me hope is that the rate of death of these guys exceeds the raising of new idiots.

News Comments > Red Wings: Aces of the Sky Announced
1. Re: Red Wings: Aces of the Sky Announced Aug 20, 2019, 13:38 Bard

Let's make an aircraft game, but let's limit our audience even further by eliminating the aircraft sim players too!

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Aug 17, 2019, 03:42 Bard

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 20:05:
After reading the article i doubt paper ballots would be much better.

The problem with Democracy is that a large portion of the populace are stupid.

paper makes it harder to rig.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Kremlin lauds 'heroes' who landed plane in cornfield after gull strike Aug 16, 2019, 01:05 Bard

Simon Says wrote on Aug 15, 2019, 16:53:
American pilot lands aircraft in a river, saving everyone, he's a Hero.

Russian pilot lands aircraft in a field, saving everyone, he's a 'Hero'.

Those double standards...

Guardian has become more and more a mouthpiece of the idiots in charge of the west... this is exactly the kind of stupid reporting we get on anything Russia/China these days.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 12, 2019, 14:08 Bard

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 12, 2019, 13:52:
Pigeon wrote on Aug 12, 2019, 13:24:
One can only hope whoever made the report gets caught. It'd be nice to think there was some heuristic to help classify these kinds of reports as possible hoaxes. I realize they have to respond, but maybe if they knew there was a possibility it was just some kid playing video games they'd not be so trigger happy.
Swatting should receive the same sentence as attempted murder.

...especially going by history.

News Comments > DiRT Rally 2.0 VR Upgrade Rolls Out
3. Re: DiRT Rally 2.0 VR Upgrade Rolls Out Aug 8, 2019, 17:59 Bard

I remember picking up a Dirt Rally a while back and it was a microstransaction treadmill - to the point I returned it.

I can't remember if that was this version - anyone know if this 'features' microstransactions?

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 2, 2019, 16:01 Bard

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 15:44:
If I installed a Ring the cops (and everyone else) would be pretty damn bored watching the mailman, FedEx and UPS drivers, stepping up to my door -- because outside that, I'd say I get about 1 person every three months or so stepping up to my door....

Everything is fine until you observe a crime committed by law enforcement/government.

Then you're pretty much fucked.

2. Re: The Encryption Debate Is Over - Dead At The Hands Of Facebook Aug 2, 2019, 13:27 Bard

Simon Says wrote on Aug 2, 2019, 11:48:
So wiretapping everyone without a warrant? Yeah... that sounds totally legal!

Sounds like I'll be uninstalling anything facebook related...

I wish it was that simple, except all the identifiers that have been created for you courtesy of facebook will still exist and you'll still be tracked regardless.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 2, 2019, 01:08 Bard

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 1, 2019, 21:05:
I love it when a true American hero writes a book. Best stay in vodka land, the current loons brought back the death penalty because it costs more than keeping a person alive. Long Live Amerika Comrade

It's going to be a great read.

News Comments > Piranha Games on MechWarrior 5 Epic Games Store Exclusivity
11. Re: Piranha Games on MechWarrior 5 Epic Games Store Exclusivity Jul 31, 2019, 12:33 Bard

Good luck making your target numbers using yet another distribution system.

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 30, 2019, 15:40 Bard

[quote="RedEye9"Jul 30, 2019, 11:14"58135uickest way to kill fake news, Get Educated.
Barring that, just turn off the "LIKE" and "This Post Has Been Shared
X Number of Times" counters.

Education certainly helps, Problem is we have people with a vested interest in misinforming people essentially in control of everything else people are exposed to.

While any platform being used is not strictly neutral it's very hard for people to get educated. Not enough people visit the non-fiction section of Libraries these days

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 30, 2019, 15:30 Bard

Retired wrote on Jul 30, 2019, 12:35:
Everyone needs to stop with the FB.

It's so damn handy.... and so pervasive.

The problem isn't so much users, but vendors pushing its inclusion in the mobile market so it becomes the default standard.

It's going to take someone like Musk to get enough money behind an alternative.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 12, 2019, 11:19 Bard

facebook and ubisoft. they deserve each other.  

660 Comments. 33 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo