Total Posts
508 (Apprentice)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

508 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 26.
Newer [  1    11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ] Older

No subject
Aug 21, 2007, 05:11
No subject Aug 21, 2007, 05:11
Aug 21, 2007, 05:11

Well I have to say that the reason Quake Wars is biting the big one in beta is that everyone wants to play Strogg. So you end up typically with a whole bunch of clan people on Strogg side, while the GDF has all the newcomers and a few of the people waiting for a chance to switch sides. So no one really tries too hard as GDF because they are just waiting for their chance to hop teams.

Only time people want to play GDF is when the Strogg team just happens to have a bunch of non-skilled people on it and they get tired of losing. Then you end up with the GDF team stacked against a team of people who barely know how to play.

Not to mention the fact that aside from the tank and the general more powerful feel of the assault rifle versus lacerator; GDF is boring as all hell. I mean we got humans trying to get an invading alien army off Earth, and we can muster one tank, one apc, a couple jeeps with pea shooters, and some four wheelers?

I mean shit, people take a jeep, high powered rifles and four wheelers hunting deer and we got an INVADING ALIEN ARMY.

And then when you get a foot hold you can muster up a really lame troop transport that barely has any shooting radius..or nothing that's helpful when you pretty much fly a straight line to the target. And an attack plane after you spent the first 10 minutes of the map being picked on by the Tormentor.

If you're gonna have some vehicles in the game, call me crazy but it'd be nice to have them to use when they really would do some good instead of getting them when the enemy has you narrowed down to a bridge or water crossing.

It's just artificial as hell to bring "balance", but there's nothing interesting at all about GDF besides when someone gets plugged by friendly or alien weapons you can zap em once and bring them back to half health instanteously as many times as needed. Which if I had to classify GDF it'd be "zerging" simply due to the instant revives...but if I understand it correctly. Strogg are the "corpse" race, which should make them the zergers........

The coolness factor of Strogg versus GDF shows when you look at the artillery guys Field Ops/Oppressor and Covert Ops/Infiltrator. While they got the same basics....

Field Ops:
- Artillery guns, 3 choices.
- Ability to call down artillery in differing methods depending on gun type that was air dropped.
- Air Strike grenade.
- Ability to give ammo to self and others via packs.

Opressor:

Everything that the Field Ops has minus ability to give ammo to self (ignoring the innate stroyent swap things all the Strogg classes have).
Plus - Shield that can take substantial fire...so you can stand out in the open throw down two shield and call your artillery wherever you want..and a sniper would have to shoot your shields down to just snipe you. Or someone would have to rocket you successfully, etc. Add to this the fact that you can get to heights the humans cant via the jump packs.

Covert Ops:
-Disguise as enemy
-Sniper gun or high accuracy automatic.
-Radar deployable
-Third Eye Camera
-Silenced MP with unlocks...helpful beyond words.

Infiltrator:
-Disguise
-Railgun, accurized laccy
-Psi Radar
-Flyer Drone (useful for taking out people way above/below or around corners on mountains when you have no jump pack to use)
-Teleporter (plunk it down, go lay down a radar warp yourself back).

They seem similar on paper when you list the stuff, but when you FULLY utilize these classes and all their extras. Most people would agree that Strogg have a definiate advantage. The only time I'd say a third eye makes a huge huge difference is at the shield gen step if you can get one in the shield area, and at the blowing the contaminator step...if you can get one close. But you can build a radar close to the contam if you capture bridge, so it's only really useful at the shield gen part...and even then you're not gaining a huge advantage of knowing how people people are there since you still have to kill them to hack.

So, I was hoping to see the game add some cool things in for GDF, and experience one GDF defense map to see how thoroughly Strogg stomps GDF. A Hog could take out most of your defense deployables in 3 runs. Not to mention tormentors shooting your base from across the map. That map would have to be really flat so the Strogg snipes can't take high ground and kill your entire team.

So my verdict is: It's fun if you can play Strogg because GDF is just too farkin' boring. I ask myself, where's the human guile....no traps besides trip mines? No taking an enemy deployable and making it work against them or feed wrong info? No smart placements for deployables (mainly a map flaw)? They need to spice it up a bit for GDF or make some strogg vs. strogg maps.

Re: Is this the patch...
Aug 17, 2007, 04:26
Re: Is this the patch... Aug 17, 2007, 04:26
Aug 17, 2007, 04:26

I paid for it, stopped paying to beta test it in May.

It was neat, but replay on it sucked. Death bugs ruined it. Not to mention the crashing every ....hmm 10-20 minutes or so.

Although I remember back to the outright exaggerations and lies McQuaid laid down over and over about that game, and I can't help to feel that the game needs to die so that McQuaid never gets his paws on a game again.

Pretty much every person that bought that game got McQuaided. And that means they were deceived, tricked, bullshitted, etc etc.

That's the word I came up with to describe the Vanguard experience. It's being "McQuaided". And I hope people pick it up and start using it to describe future games that get hyped up by their CEOs/owners, and then trip out the gate, break a leg, stumble a quarter of the way around the track, and then *hopefully* get sent to the glue factory!

If that's the best that could be done with 5 years and 13 million dollars.........maybe they should start offering up cash prizes to up and coming devs to make the next generation of MMOs. Would be really interested in seeing how that 13 was spent, Im guessing a certain someone has a nice retirement package.

Quake Wars
Aug 13, 2007, 00:38
Quake Wars Aug 13, 2007, 00:38
Aug 13, 2007, 00:38

My guess is that they are making these press releases and public acknowledgements so they can draw attention back to 2142 and bf2. They have nothing new to offer to go up against Quake Wars, so I guess "fair" gameplay is a service they think people might be willing to stick with them over.

Im guessing they are afraid when their next expansion pack hits for either game there will be no one to buy it because they are tired of the cheaters and moved on.

No subject
Aug 5, 2007, 05:49
No subject Aug 5, 2007, 05:49
Aug 5, 2007, 05:49

If these games are still on the shelves......wonder if they can be sued for not providing at least 30 days of online play.

Kinda shady if your still out there pimping your games with half of it's functionality gone.

Re: Meh...
Jul 10, 2007, 02:18
Re: Meh... Jul 10, 2007, 02:18
Jul 10, 2007, 02:18

Hmm, I will admit I like looking at girls in little to no clothing. Something must be wrong with me!

As for gaming info. Been a lot of console heavy info I've noticed for most coverage, and since I don't own any consoles....girls were about the only thing I was interested in seeing from the sites.

PC games really don't hold my interest very long anymore, at some point I get beyond the "graphics awe" and realize Im playing a copy of a title released the year before...etc.

MMOs were fun to break the FPS ho-hum, then everyone started copying the EQ/Wow formula or didn't but slowly worked their way toward drawing people from EQ/Wow.....and ending up cookie-cutter-esque.

Hope they can make Quake Wars suck less before beta is over, right now it's like a bad version of 2142 with more hop and twitch.

Re: No subject
Jul 6, 2007, 23:32
Re: No subject Jul 6, 2007, 23:32
Jul 6, 2007, 23:32

It's also just cool to zap em in a darkened room and see the electricity spark through the board, zapped that video card many many times because it was cool to see....plus I was just really pissed after getting it back the second time during an RMA and having it corrupt the machine.

Re: No subject
Jul 6, 2007, 02:45
Re: No subject Jul 6, 2007, 02:45
Jul 6, 2007, 02:45

Im not implying doing it to a perfectly working console. I had a video card they refused to repair that caused me to waste a ton of time installing and wiping out a machine twice. So I stun gunned the ports and memory chips on it, and that did the trick.

If I had an xbox 360 that failed but didn't show 3 red lights, out of the 1 year warranty. I'd probably see if I could get it to fail till it did get the 3 red lights.

I gotta wonder how they deal with errors that are technically in the 3 red light realm, but something has failed in the box that the lights won't even light up. Light failure, PSU failure, whatever. I mean it's a useless hunk of plastic anyway, and I doubt they charge you a price based on the problem to RMA it outside of warranty..so ain't hurting your pocket book to take out some frustration stun gunning the thing trying to get those little red lights to light up.

No subject
Jul 6, 2007, 02:33
No subject Jul 6, 2007, 02:33
Jul 6, 2007, 02:33

I had a video card years ago that kept flipping out in my machine. It would literally cause failures that corrupted operating system files every time I reinstalled it after RMAing it. So I finally took a stun gun to it and RMAed it so they'd be forced to repair the damn thing. And was told by a friend of mine who worked at a local PC shop, that they would stun gun stuff if the distribution places refused it as an RMA return/replacement situation.

So.....Xbox 360 fails without 3 reds? Stun it.

508 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 26.
Newer [  1    11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ] Older