Total Posts
508 (Apprentice)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

508 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 16.
Newer [  1    11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ] Older

Re: Op Ed
Nov 8, 2011, 19:06
Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2011, 19:06
Nov 8, 2011, 19:06

Im about 2 years behind on average. It's a mixture of lack of funds, computer upgrades needed, disappoint from past launch purchases, reviews being worthless until 3 months after the launch of most games, generally just not being as forgiving as I used to be for problems and my friends giving up games entirely or moving away from PC.

Lack of funds - applies to both cost of upgrades needed and the cost of games on launch. If I can wait even 6 months and get 3 times the games for the same cash, I'm going to do that.

Past launch purchases - I loved the battlefield series, but with each iteration I didn't play them as long as the one prior. Bought BFBC2 a year after launch and I was not happy with the game..think I played it about a week. So BF3 is getting the skip for at least a year, and maybe forever if they won't come off the Origin thing. MMOs, I am a big fan of the MMO idea but anymore most of them are disappointing copies of prior gameplay. You can't get legitimate reviews on an MMO for at LEAST 3 months.

Intolerance - If a developer keeps repeating problems over and over in their games.....I'd have to be an idiot to pay their launch price when I can wait and I won't have to deal with the headaches AND get the game at half price. And in a years time their game is almost never mentioned anymore? You know it sucked for whatever reason and shouldn't waste your time tracking it anymore.

Waiting has a whole lot of benefits, one of them being that you just simply forget the game existed in the first place and never waste the money on it. Usually it's forgotten because it sucked, and 3-4 years down the road when it's 5 bucks on Steam or free with another game...you can find out how much it sucked.

If it's still mentioned and you remember it, you get less bugs, more content at a much reduced price with reviews that have more meaningful points than the ones around the time of it's launch. So you don't go in all hyped up expecting more than it is, which developers and publishers love to do ...hype the ever loving shit out of games.

Re: Morning Metaverse
Nov 4, 2011, 18:54
Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 4, 2011, 18:54
Nov 4, 2011, 18:54

I have to wonder whose the dumber of the bunch when it comes to something like Groupon. The people who invest or the people who don't. The thing looks like a ponzi scheme, acts like a ponzi scheme. Has stories of tons of dissatisfied people on both sides of the equation..

Had a guy involved in the company who has hyped companies and sold a worthless investment for lots of money.

I guess sure you can make a few bucks of something like this...but......why encourage this kind of behavior.

Re: DC Universe Online Freed
Nov 2, 2011, 18:05
Re: DC Universe Online Freed Nov 2, 2011, 18:05
Nov 2, 2011, 18:05

Looks extremely limited. In that you won't mind it for a bit, but later on you probably won't be able to function without putting money into the game.

SOE is really bad at making games free to play and still remotely fun to play.

Re: NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues
Oct 31, 2011, 17:17
Re: NVIDIA Investigating TDR Issues Oct 31, 2011, 17:17
Oct 31, 2011, 17:17

Happens a lot on an old 8800GTX and TF2 with the last couple revisions of drivers. But then the drivers fix issues with other stuff...so it's deciding which problems you are willing to put up with at this point.

I'll take one of their good cards in exchange for mine......

Re: The Old Republic's Warzones
Oct 30, 2011, 13:16
Re: The Old Republic's Warzones Oct 30, 2011, 13:16
Oct 30, 2011, 13:16

I enjoy world PVP when it has ways to focus the combat and make people engage each other on what should be fair grounds. You can't account for everything, but the way WoW and every MMO does world PVP similar to WoW has no design, it's tacked on to the "real" game.

If they made it so I could take items from the person I killed if they were higher level than I, then the high level guys wouldn't be out there griefing low level players because they might lose something. Instead they just sit on low level towns and grief endlessly with no repercussions.

Or you got the guys who wait until you engage an NPC then try to kill you. Or roam around in groups of 5 and 10 to kill one guy. They intentionally avoid the high population areas for enemies because they don't want 50 guys breaking up their griefing.

And after it's all over, you end up with people that were griefed relentlessly who are rightfully pissed off and the griefers who instead of PVPing come on the boards to defend their actions and pretend that the person actually stood a chance against them and deem it "good" PVP.

When they add world PVP where there is incentive to defend your territories and other members of your faction, as well as attack and take territories. With plenty of ways to organize into any size party and still meet resistance without one side being vastly overpowered....they will have created something that none of the triple A MMO devs will have bothered to try to create. There's a reason why there are only a handful of PVP servers versus all the PVE servers, people don't like the way world PVP is handled. But the BGs are still populated, because they have some focus, goals and it's in the best interest of each other to try to help one another to win. And even in BGs they go out of their way to twink a low level guy and keep him in brackets to dominate other players.....never seen a guy pick the average equipment as still try to win. It's always the super rare stuff with full enchantments and what not. And they claim it's because they want a challenge...... deceiving themselves about their griefing natures.

Oct 29, 2011, 09:19
Re: The Old Republic's Warzones Oct 29, 2011, 09:19
Oct 29, 2011, 09:19

Instanced PVP can be boring. But world PVP in the majority of MMOs is just dreadful. Fills the game with gankers and griefers, has no game value beyond griefing, and generally takes a lot more resources of development and creation time that could have been spent on pieces that would make the game more enjoyable for all.

With the way open world PVP is implemented on the majority of MMOs anymore, they shouldn't bother with it. WoWs open world was just full of max level people camping low level towns for fun......that's not "PVP" that's griefing.

Re: TF2 Trick or Treat
Oct 29, 2011, 01:15
Re: TF2 Trick or Treat Oct 29, 2011, 01:15
Oct 29, 2011, 01:15

This event sucks. It's worse than last year as the map is tiny and the gifts spawn very infrequently. I could easily see people spending all week playing and getting no gift spawns at all.

It's just too cramped and the rounds go pretty fast..eyeball guy might spawn once a round, usually only one gift per round and they can last up to 10 minutes. Or at little as 3-4 minutes.

I can understand scarcity on items, but these are halloween ONLY items..you can't even wear the majority of them outside of the event.

Oct 29, 2011, 01:08
Re: The Old Republic's Warzones Oct 29, 2011, 01:08
Oct 29, 2011, 01:08

Three whole warzones.

And on top of that it looks like at least two of them will give an advantage to players who have range damage and knockbacks (knocking them off high places or into pits).

Wonder if they will be crappy like WAR's PVP instances where a couple guys knocking people off ledges could kill a lot of your team.

Re: CCP Layoffs
Oct 20, 2011, 05:28
Re: CCP Layoffs Oct 20, 2011, 05:28
Oct 20, 2011, 05:28

Was wondering the same thing if there was enough people who've been pissed off by CCP that all of them leaving created this shortage. Perhaps this is there way to get around apologizing and fixing the issues, by saying the restructure allowed them to ..blah blah blah. So now they've got it all fixed and they welcome everyone back to enjoy....what they had before.

Re: Dawn of War II: Retribution DLC Plans
Oct 16, 2011, 05:40
Re: Dawn of War II: Retribution DLC Plans Oct 16, 2011, 05:40
Oct 16, 2011, 05:40

Last Stand is a pretty fun game mode, but it got old for me. 10 bucks for a new commander is more than the full retribution game has sold for in the past. I think Amazon had it for 7.50. If it gets down to 2.50 I'd consider it.

If they had something like Valve did with TF2 where people could design stuff (and get it for free with time) for the game so content could be pushed out a lot faster that game would hold people's interest longer.

It also suffers from people with inadequate computer systems dragging the whole game experience down for all people in the group. And it doesn't really crop up until after wave 10 or so, by then it's really frustrating when it starts slideshowing or people disconnect.

Re: WAR Safe From F2P and TOR
Oct 13, 2011, 08:31
Re: WAR Safe From F2P and TOR Oct 13, 2011, 08:31
Oct 13, 2011, 08:31

I guess we'll see. EA doesn't have the best track record with supporting games. And it doesn't have much of a positive track record with MMOs for the few it's had. I point at Earth and Beyond as an example of what they used to do to these games. E&B was actually really different, but unfinished. WAR was really not very different...neither is SWTOR. It may help them be kept off the chopping blocks simply because they are very similar to other MMOs out there and it makes the execs feel good having those offerings.

But I suspect of SWTOR is huge in it's first year, WAR will fade out. If they are profiting largely from SWTOR, they aren't going to let the limping along WAR hold it back. They will strip all the resources from WAR in the manner of Auto Assault's demise.

If they have to respond to statements like this, you know it's in their thoughts..otherwise they'd just laugh about it and continue about their day.

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer
Oct 8, 2011, 04:54
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer Oct 8, 2011, 04:54
Oct 8, 2011, 04:54

It's funny they call the Jedi Knight the Vanguard of the Republic forces, and they have an advanced trooper class called "Vanguard". So if the Vanguard isn't the Vanguard, what the hell is he?

All these things where they let the developers and stuff talk about the game, they are saying whatever makes the game they are working on sound the best. Consider it a game advertisement instead of informative.

Re: Saturday Legal Briefs
Oct 2, 2011, 05:27
Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Oct 2, 2011, 05:27
Oct 2, 2011, 05:27

I support more adults choking mouthy kids, it's just too bad the parents didn't take care of it first.

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch; Pricing Details
Sep 25, 2011, 01:59
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic December Launch; Pricing Details Sep 25, 2011, 01:59
Sep 25, 2011, 01:59

It'll be released, people will rave over the companions, voice overs and story lines.

They will tell everyone how Companions are different than pets because they talk and craft. But in a few months people will realize that companions are an extension of the character, a way for the developer to extend traits you may not have (healing, DPS, tank) by swapping out companions. I remember when they were talking about making players able to switch roles so they'd be a better tank/DPS/Healer when needed to fill roles...so they wouldn't have to look for specific classes to make a good group.

Voice overs will be awesome, until you've played through one side and all the side quests and stuff are the exact same and you get tired of hearing it repeated to you. I think the only real core voice work that will be unique is your class story line. Companions will only be unique to the core class, not the advanced classes as nothing has show that the AC affects your companion choices.

Story line, it'll be awesome until you run out of it. Then you will have to evaluate the game on it's gameplay.

And I suspect in 1-2 months you'll start to hear some grumbling. 3 months time people will start denouncing SWTOR as "same old" once the companions/story/voice overs get a little dull. People will wish they would have did something to advance the MMO genre gameplay...and let's face it. The budget they put into voice overs and development, they probably could have developed 2 MMOs with the production of a non-voiced over MMO.

And let's not forget the players who will love love love the game because some actor/actress voices something and it's like romancing said actor/actress because they are talking back to you. They'll take 6-12 months to start coming out of that I suspect, but they were mentally ill to begin with.

3 month cycle is pretty common for MMOs anymore, everything is SUPER AWESOME GREAT until 3 months rolls around and the reviews start to not be 4.999/5 stars or 99/100 score.

That's my prediction, I haven't seen anything in the videos that impresses me gameplay wise. Their Pvp battlegrounds/warfronts/whatever look pretty boring. The quests and combat seem to be the same, aside from MAYBE their little instanced dungeons I don't remember the name....and we haven't been told how many of those we can expect, or if they are all high level aside from 1 or 2.

Re: Why No Commander in Battlefield 3
Sep 23, 2011, 16:01
Re: Why No Commander in Battlefield 3 Sep 23, 2011, 16:01
Sep 23, 2011, 16:01

DG wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 14:04:
zirik wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 04:26:
i agree that 2142 had better game play but a lot of people were put off by the bad futuristic design of the vehicles.
2142 was a game almost to be really loved but instead utterly hated due to how shittily implemented it was.

Moving the Titan lagged the server extremely badly. The layout of the Titan meant attacking it was either utterly impossible or ridiculously easy, depending on whether the attacker or the defender got set up first. This assumes nobody is exploiting, which became very rare really quickly. Not to mention the huge array of other bugs which were unavoidable. First game I ever actually wanted a refund for.

The gameplay wasn't even well thought out. Nearly, but with a fundamental flaw: wins were almost always decided in the first 5 seconds, by who was the first pilots in the attack and transport vehicles.

Wow that that game attracted the most incredibly stupid people I have ever witnessed. They all beelined for the attack then transport planes, and proceeded to race to cap the first point with it. Especially the attack plane. First time I've actually seen something so stupid that I've been unable to comprehend it.

But it was fun as hell killing vehicles by drop podding it to death. Especially attack planes who camp points or your titan. Land a pod on it, blow up 1-5 people.

But yeah the game was not fixed. It was put on the market very quickly after BF2 and forgotten nearly as fast. The only patches I remember 2142 getting were based on BF2 fixes being put out at the same time, they never actually seemed to fix anything specific to 2142.

It got really crazy when people would exploit into your titan before the shields were even down and could kill the titan while the shields were still up. Or kill everyone on board by glitching into the walls. I am not aware that those things ever got fixed.

Sep 23, 2011, 06:31
Re: Why No Commander in Battlefield 3 Sep 23, 2011, 06:31
Sep 23, 2011, 06:31

zirik wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 04:26:
Veterator wrote on Sep 23, 2011, 04:11:
Bring back mobile ships and subs and have a variety of maps so you aren't doing infantry crap 90% of the time in a game that was made popular by vehicles.

its amazing we all forgot what made the game popular in the first place. vehicles set the battlefield series apart from the call of duties and the medal of honors.

i agree that 2142 had better game play but a lot of people were put off by the bad futuristic design of the vehicles.

I thought 2142 was good, the unlock system made the classes utter shit for a grueling amount of time. The titans were novel, but not a spectacular implementation especially with the myriad of exploits they never bothered to fix.

The thing that set the negative tone for 2142 was the in-game ads. They weren't even really pervasive, but people were just pissed over that...and when the ads failed miserably that game received zero support after the first expansion. Which the first expansion added more interesting vehicles and stuff, but they stopped fixing exploits. It only received support for about half the time BF2 did if that.

Sep 23, 2011, 04:11
Re: Why No Commander in Battlefield 3 Sep 23, 2011, 04:11
Sep 23, 2011, 04:11

Can't help but look at this as the way they stopped allowing ships in the 1943 re-release of 1942 to be moved. Or how they've moved steadily away from the midway type stuff and seem to be more urban in their games (like the OTHER game out there).

It may be one guy who can be in the role, but they could have addressed the problem instead of completely removing it. Just like it really sucked when people beached the destroyer in 1942 or drove it off the map and everyone was getting killed when they spawned.

I hope that one day they go back to a simpler, but more diverse play style like 1942, spruce up the graphics and improve some of the mechanics. Like spotting for snipers, that was near impossible to make sense out of it especially when your spotter could put up a new spot and mess up your orientation again. Bring back mobile ships and subs and have a variety of maps so you aren't doing infantry crap 90% of the time in a game that was made popular by vehicles.

Or at least some other company comes along and eats Dice's lunch by actually putting that kind of content back on the PC with all the bells and whistles. 2142 was kind of a decent change of pace from BF2 and more of a throw back to 1942, but they stopped supporting that release pretty friggin fast.

Re: DiAMONDZ - Minecraft PvP "Sport"
Sep 22, 2011, 07:03
Re: DiAMONDZ - Minecraft PvP "Sport" Sep 22, 2011, 07:03
Sep 22, 2011, 07:03

So it's PVP in that if you don't win the first competition of getting the most diamonds you have to kill the guy who got the same amount as you.

Or you could like......let the guy who got out first win because he was faster.

I can't believe someone thought this up and then decided to take the time to make a mod, map AND a video of it instead of going "Wow that sounds amazingly stupid."

Re: Daniel Stahl Beaming Out of Cryptic
Sep 22, 2011, 06:54
Re: Daniel Stahl Beaming Out of Cryptic Sep 22, 2011, 06:54
Sep 22, 2011, 06:54

I had high hopes for Cryptic, as I thought City of Heroes was a pretty decent game. While I'll admit City of Heroes had it's flaws, I just didn't think Champions Online fixed or improved on the system in anyway, I found it to be kind of boring considering they had City of heroes under their belts.

Then they bring in Bill Roper, I mean honestly WTF there. The guy who just pissed off a load of people with Hellgate and you bring him into your brand new spin off company with it's first game coming out. That sends a bad message.......and then HE leaves your company.

Now you got a statement like this "Im leaving, but man you guys are doing a spectacular job, couldn't say more nice things.....so uh.....see you around." At least tell people it's for "family reasons" if you're going to bullshit us.

Cryptic, much like SOE, needs an infusion of new blood because their decision making and recent output seems like the people making them don't actually PLAY what they foist on their customers.

Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3
Sep 22, 2011, 06:33
Re: IW Doesn't Care if Three People Play MW3 Sep 22, 2011, 06:33
Sep 22, 2011, 06:33

We don't care if we have jobs tomorrow.

We don't care what our customers want, thus we don't need to care about competition.

We made the game so that 3 of us in the company enjoyed playing it.

Kind of the same theme, just doesn't sound quite as sane....or nice.
508 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 16.
Newer [  1    11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ] Older