Descending
Limit Results:

508 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 6.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    26  ] Older

Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall
Jul 31, 2012, 20:38
Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 20:38
Jul 31, 2012, 20:38

I like class based games when they are done well. I think WoW did a good job with it's classes, they have some overlap, enough that you can pick the class which will give you the alternate play styles you want in most cases.

And I don't care much for COMPLETE sandbox MMOs because you end up too scattered and unfocused as a player base. There's no easy way to focus people over all into an effort without some kind of incentive/story/quest/progression line to follow. However what disappoints me about modern MMOs is that they have not evolved into allowing players to truly modify the world. Maybe not to the extent of Minecraft where you could empty the world of blocks if you wanted, but that you could sculpt it somewhat. And create new lanes of travel with a concerted effort amongst the player base. Not just a single guild, but double digit percentages of your player base per server working toward it.

But it would be interesting if you could wipe out an enemy species or race, kill a forest, create a lake, divert a river to flood a valley or cut off water supply to an area. You would actually have to protect yourself, your domain, and surrounding domains from people trying to do this stuff to you. Beyond fighting in a dungeon or exploring the world if you want it to mean anything to others. Which I believe is the point of an MMO, your actions should impact others. Positively if you're on their side, negatively if you're against their side.....generally.

Re: Morning Tech Bits
Jul 31, 2012, 17:38
Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 31, 2012, 17:38
Jul 31, 2012, 17:38

Reading that article, it sounds like they generally want to hire people who can find things for them to use rather than develop or maintain things for them.

Web development, they used their mom making her own website as an example. If your mom's personal website makes her an expert at your company website, you probably aren't getting too many visitors to your website or using it for any meaningful purpose.

Then they mention people finding apps to use.......valid, but what if your company can't find something? Or what if what you need is crazy expensive and still doesn't do exactly what you need?

Unix platforms replaced by Linux.....those old mainframes are reliable. Like crazy crazy reliable, if you don't need that much reliability, sure you can switch to something lesser. But if you do, you're probably going to have a very costly problem in the future and have to undo all those new "cost saving" measures to correct it.

People just throw out history every couple years apparently. "The Cloud" is just reverting back to relying on another company to keep yours running. Which again is fine, until it stops working and then is crazy expensive/difficult to recover from if you can recover at all.

I wait for the day when Amazon or some other big storage/computing site has a catastrophic failure and all that business data is just gone, and all those companies who became completely reliant on it are now completely fucked overnight by something they can do absolutely nothing about. But they saved 10 grand a year for the past 5-10 years and it only put them out of business overnight!

I'm sure their customers, investors, and creditors will totally understand when they explained how they put the important bits of their operation in another companies hands because it was just easier and some article explained how they'd save money on it.

Re: GNU Guru: Linux Steam
Jul 31, 2012, 17:15
Re: GNU Guru: Linux Steam Jul 31, 2012, 17:15
Jul 31, 2012, 17:15

Well I could see Steam bringing a lot of people to the Linux environment because gaming on Linux and complications with getting certain things running correctly under Linux is a pain.

Once you have a game platform available on it, a lot of those hard to fix issues are going to be resolved since there's an audience for it. As will a lot of the other quirks. Plus there will be those who took Windows for what it was and didn't ever dream about changing it, who are now able to get their games on Linux and will want to see the OS change to what they think it should be rather than what Microsoft thought it should be.

I mean Windows as a mostly closed platform is going to be the one you want to overcome in people's minds. If you want to perpetuate the idea of it into something that's relatively minor as the Steam platform or games in general. Some games are already pretty highly mod-able and companies have been drawing back from it (games were arguable better when they could be modded, they were worth more to the player/user).

I think Stallman should take the view as his following/ideal being the white cells in the blood stream, expose the system to it and make the system resist it in the future rather than flat out blocking it and telling everyone that exposure to it is against the overall best interest of everyone else in the system or who wants to be apart of the system. Because common knowledge now tells that not being exposed to illnesses makes for a weaker and less robust immune system overall. After all, without the idea of exposure to immunize, we'd be pretty fucked as a society and we'd all have to separate ourselves from each other or risk being nearly wiped out when exposed to other regions and people.

If Windows alienates and Linux won't welcome, both are going to set the tone for the future. Do what we want you to do or go away. Where as Linux could just as easily say that they want Steam to set up an open source section and let the open source people out do the closed platform games. I know I'd like to see more open and easy to use game design, it'd certainly help to move away from the current "make everything expensive as hell" game creation method we have now.

Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Imminent
Jul 31, 2012, 14:55
Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Imminent Jul 31, 2012, 14:55
Jul 31, 2012, 14:55

According to people in the beta, there's a lot of disabled and non-added things. It's not even quite to the level of PS1 yet judging by their comments.

So.......this is probably a late alpha, early beta. Where they are disabling/removing things to try to narrow down issues.

Im a former sub, and I haven't gotten an invite yet. Although my sub was a number of years ago, so if they go chronological it might be awhile.

And I've been avoiding buying other games so I can play this, getting a bit irritated by the hype and wait at this point. SOE doesn't seem to have changed it's strategy on their releases in all these years, and that's not good.

Re: Sunday Tech Bits
Jul 30, 2012, 07:25
Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 30, 2012, 07:25
Jul 30, 2012, 07:25

I think a laptop is great and all, but I like having a real keyboard and a nice big monitor. Sure you can hook them up to a laptop and get it, but then you're defeating the purpose of the laptop.

If you need to hook the laptop up to a bunch of stuff that you can't carry around to actually use it in any serious manner.....you're better off with a desktop.

I look at laptops more as a way to do minor things and lug/access data with the possibility of doing some fairly serious work/stuff on it if needed. Kind of a mobile personal workspace....but at home and for big work tasks I'd use a desktop over a laptop every time given the choice. Ends up being cheaper over time as well, since you can repair the desktop and reuse the monitor/keyboard/mouse/etc if you do have to replace the desktop due to it breaking or becoming obsolete.

I think we'll always have some sort of processing device we'll need to do things...perhaps your phone might be capable eventually. But I really hope they start pushing toward new types of input devices and displays. As a script glasses wearer I'd love to have something tied into glasses to give me a monitor replacement. And on inputs, I know they have some kind of camera that can project a keyboard and read your inputs with some success. Sweeping gestures for clearing the screen or changing it would be OK. Majority of your stuff would have to small minimal movements, otherwise you couldn't stand to do it for any period of time that wouldn't end up with you having issues with RSI. Once they get something like this, laptops and desktops would be replaced....except for instances where you need a fixed location to do certain things due to processing power needs.

Re: Castle Story Kickstarter
Jul 29, 2012, 00:53
Re: Castle Story Kickstarter Jul 29, 2012, 00:53
Jul 29, 2012, 00:53

netnerd85 wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 22:36:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 18:56:
Looking at the kickstarter page, it looks like $15 will get you into the beta which will then become the completed game.
Yeah it does say "we'd like to clarify that for 15$ you OWN the game!" on the page.

Yeah they added that after I posted. Still the language in the original was confusing, not sure why they kept mentioning pre-purchase price like it was something seperate.

Re: Castle Story Kickstarter
Jul 28, 2012, 17:39
Re: Castle Story Kickstarter Jul 28, 2012, 17:39
Jul 28, 2012, 17:39

Am I reading it correctly that you kickstart and they offer you the beta at a pre-release price for that? Meaning you give them X dollars and then they allow you to buy the beta?

Game looks like it could be fun, it could also end up being massively irritating/boring. Pacing and unseen features/details will make the difference. If it just amounts to keeping the guys from digging themselves through the island and building castles, that'd be pretty boring.

Re: Op Ed
Jul 28, 2012, 06:48
Re: Op Ed Jul 28, 2012, 06:48
Jul 28, 2012, 06:48

Hell I don't even like buying games that are split into collector's edition and regular. Because I always feel like the CE is too expensive, and the regular is probably going to put me at a disadvantage or make me wish I had gotten the other one.

So........I just wait until the stuff is so cheap I doesn't bug me anymore.

And this is just on games I would feel comfortable buying day one if they offered just one edition that included the whole game and the frills they want to put out. Anymore it's getting to the point where you don't risk buying anything because you know you're going to be pissed because it's too short, buggy, or on sale the week after you bought it.

I mean I guess the guys are getting people to buy extra copies for the additional stuff, but how many are they losing out on because they make it too complicated to just buy the game at your favorite retailer with the parts/extras you want.

Kinda nutty. Imagine if car dealerships had different options you could only get exclusively at particular ones. Or if certain fast food joints only carried certain condiments and drink combos at each location, so if you wanted Coke and ketchup you'd have to drive across town. But if you don't mind water and mustard you can eat at the close location.

Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Demo
Jul 27, 2012, 16:03
Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Demo Jul 27, 2012, 16:03
Jul 27, 2012, 16:03

Yeah I had to restart steam for it to start downloading.

A lot like Orcs Must Die 1, but I never finished it. Doesn't seem too much different than the original. The MP would make it worth the purchase, but really don't have anyone who'd be interested in playing it.

Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Demo
Jul 26, 2012, 21:37
Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Demo Jul 26, 2012, 21:37
Jul 26, 2012, 21:37

Stormsinger wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 19:24:
It may -offer- a demo, but I, at least, can't get it to actually download. I get an error saying something about "no subscription".

Same here. I tried about half a dozen times to get it throughout the day and keep getting the same message. And it seems to be only available via steam...so seems screwed up unless it's meant to only be for people who already ordered.

Which if that's the case...that's pretty stupid if they want more people to commit to buying it early.

Re: etc., etc.
Jul 26, 2012, 21:35
Re: etc., etc. Jul 26, 2012, 21:35
Jul 26, 2012, 21:35

No less nuts than the majority of other job ads out there. Who want to give entry level pay for 10-20 years experience on tech that has only been out for 2 years. And the job ends up being something completely different, yet no one in the chain can seem to communicate effectively enough to make the job ad reflect WTF they are looking for.

How people manage to hire via the mechanics and BS we have in place just amazes me. I think they just hire via employee referrals anymore.

Re: PlanetSide 2 Trailer
Jul 26, 2012, 13:35
Re: PlanetSide 2 Trailer Jul 26, 2012, 13:35
Jul 26, 2012, 13:35

So yeah.......most of that doesn't seem even remotely possible in the planetside world.

Just basing it off of planetside combat and going with what you see in modern games.

The jetpack stuff, similar to Tribes.

Grenade down top of prowler....no.

Holding onto airplanes and climbing around them....definitely not. That would be an awesome ass feature.

Killing people inside the planes without killing plane...no.

Wrestling...nope.

Falling from great heights and not dieing repeatedly...nope.

Dropping in like that....I've never seen that many drop pods ever.

Cloaks being completely invisible and moving...nope.

Knife killing in one hit....not in PS1. You had to butcher that guy 3-5 times before he'd die and it was remarkably hard to hit them when moving.

If I could pick one thing, it'd be hanging onto in flight ships like a monkey. That would be pretty awesome/fun. Wait on mountains to jump on enemy planes and kill them while you run around on it.

Still haven't gotten my invite.

Re: etc.
Jul 26, 2012, 13:23
Re: etc. Jul 26, 2012, 13:23
Jul 26, 2012, 13:23

I guess sports sayings and what not don't make for good business practices. Leaving it all on the field, giving it your all......

Re: Minecraft Patent Lawsuit
Jul 22, 2012, 19:11
Re: Minecraft Patent Lawsuit Jul 22, 2012, 19:11
Jul 22, 2012, 19:11

Could have been said better, but expressing your willingness and ability to fight the lawsuit is the first step in stopping trolling.

Look at the RIAA, if they had to actually prove the shit they are collecting extortion/blackmail money on...it'd be a lot less likely to be thrown around as casual threatening letters to people they suspect might have probably on occasion maybe have done it and we'll just take a couple grand on that 100k+ lawsuit.

Plus, you put in a lot of work and doing very common sense things to get your product out there. One asshole finds out you pay out when threatened, the rest are going to line up to get their pound of flesh......deserving or not. And most likely not.

Kind of like saying "I'd rather burn my house down than let someone take it." If you can't keep what's yours, no one gets it.

Jul 19, 2012, 22:18
Re: etc., etc. Jul 19, 2012, 22:18
Jul 19, 2012, 22:18

EA's biggest problem is they just come off as dicks. Everything that gets released in response to stuff comes off as dickish.

They talk a lot, rarely change in positive ways, and perpetuate that bad image they have in every action they take.

If you got a company who treats you like dirt, responds to this by saying something like "Well you just understand what is going on here." and continues to treat you like dirt........whose going to put up with that when they can go elsewhere for their games?

Eventually the BS overrides any triple A budgeting and polish you may put into a game and the indies with their simple and humble approaches start to catch your eye. It's nice not to be shit on after you've bought someone's product.

Re: The Old Republic EP Leaves; Other Staff Cuts?
Jul 17, 2012, 19:19
Re: The Old Republic EP Leaves; Other Staff Cuts? Jul 17, 2012, 19:19
Jul 17, 2012, 19:19

If the key to being a successful developer is listening to your testers for game suggestions.....you're going to end up with a lot of counter-logic decisions.

Hell there are testers out there who change their opinion on something nearly daily. And when asked to describe a "perfect game" can't even answer simple questions posed against what they come up with.

Point is, most of them don't put a whole hell of a lot of thought into games but would like to pretend otherwise.

Something as simple as Tribes:Ascend in concept has people at each other throats on projectile speed......I doubt there's a single person out there whose got no complaints about Tribes:Ascend...even if you just look at one single aspect of it. Like.....should generators be in the game?

I am not saying you need Verant/SOEs "The Vision" with EQ and EQ2, but you definitely need an overall direction. You need some flexibility, but obviously once decisions are made they can affect more than just what you think they do. "The Vision" approach sounds really great, but it creates an inflexible idealized model that doesn't actually take into account if something is actually enjoyable instead of monotonous and torturous.

As for SWTOR........found the game rather boring. The game has too much single player stuff, like companions end up being single player only material. They generally added nothing to the game in it's multiplayer aspect. Seems like a waste of effort to have something like that in a multiplayer game when the majority of the content was designed for single play. Now if they would let you use your companions in a full group, and designed it that way...that would have been interesting to see.

But, I just feel like SWTOR tried to cover too many check boxes and didn't do anything particularly well.....I think they tried to hit all the major player "draws" in the game and just fell on their face.

Re: PlanetSide 2 Videos
Jul 17, 2012, 14:16
Re: PlanetSide 2 Videos Jul 17, 2012, 14:16
Jul 17, 2012, 14:16

Im ready to play. Send me my beta invite.

Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Details
Jul 13, 2012, 15:52
Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Details Jul 13, 2012, 15:52
Jul 13, 2012, 15:52

Gotta say on this free play in PS1, the battles don't feel epic anymore.

Not so many vehicles, and all the inside combat is shooting people in the back as they strafe in front of you in the lag.

It's kind of like watching cats being wrangled in most places. People all over the place and everyone sucking because any vehicles you do have are undermanned or people are going different directions.

I really hope PS2 makes the whole interface a little better...the chat system is grossly inadequate in PS1 for what needs to be done in any given fight.

Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins
Jul 12, 2012, 17:55
Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 12, 2012, 17:55
Jul 12, 2012, 17:55

sauron wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 16:49:
Anyone think Skyrim will go below $39.99? Been looking forward to it for ages but not at $59.99. It's already 33% off.

Also there's a bundle with it in it. Only 10 bucks more for a bunch more games on top of skyrim. Bethesda Bundle with all the Fallout 3 stuff, Brink, and a game called Hunted for 49.99 including skyrim.

Jul 12, 2012, 14:44
Re: etc., etc. Jul 12, 2012, 14:44
Jul 12, 2012, 14:44

Or put it this way. If you are going to spend 500 bucks on video games a year. At full price you're going to see 9-10 games.

So, that's only 9-10 games you might be interested in looking into next year when you have another 500 dollars to spend for sequels, DLC, expansions, etc.

Ignoring MMOs and what not.

Now if you buy 9-10 games and you're disappointed in 8 of them, you just pissed away 400 bucks.

So, there's a line where that full price has to be worth full price for people to keep buying your shit. If you keep pumping out stuff worth less to them than full price but charging full price, they are going to wait for pricing appropriate to the worth.

When they wait, they have more disposable income to spend on games that you get little to no money on, and they might find out that your games are worth even less to them seeing what they can get elsewhere.

This is what EA should be concerned with, and probably IS concerned with. But misrepresent it as people undervaluing their stuff, when it's probably the exact opposite. EA overvalues their products compared to what used to be had for the same money or found elsewhere.

And that really is none of the consumers concern, you're selling them something. Instead of hyping it and advertising it, spend money on making it worth it to the consumer for the price you are asking. Instead of what amounts to tricking them via deceptive advertising and falsely hyped up excitement.

They want it both ways, they want people to pay full price for less and less and keep the price up longer because they want more profits on less. Everyone would like to be able to do that, rarely is it going to happen for very long. People do eventually wise up, might take them a decade of being abused (RIAA, MPAA, etc) but they eventually start to realize they are being fucked.

508 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 6.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    26  ] Older