Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bill Pickett

Real Name Bill Pickett   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname headkase
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 5, 2007, 06:49
Total Comments 199 (Novice)
User ID 41707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Disney Leaving Game Publishing
9. Re: Disney Leaving Game Publishing May 10, 2016, 23:06 headkase

nin wrote on May 10, 2016, 22:56:
I would be shocked if they rebuilt lucasarts, that time is long passed. As seph says, they'd much prefer to let someone else assume the risk and heavy lifting, and reap the benefits.

But they can already do that! Publishers. Development studios typically don't have the cash on hand for a 3 year cycle so they partner with a publisher, get cash up front, and deliver to the publisher and they take a cut for financing the work. Really though Disney has so much cash that they shouldn't bother with a publisher. And contracting it out means they are the publisher. The two roles are equivalent in Disney's case. They can either be the publisher who pays a studio up front for development or they can just develop themselves and get the same since they don't have a cash crunch.

We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Disney Leaving Game Publishing May 10, 2016, 22:50 headkase

Sepharo wrote on May 10, 2016, 21:35:
headkase wrote on May 10, 2016, 21:29:
What?! Disney have just demonstrated that they are idiots. Entertainment software is a huge growth sector. If they think they can't make shit-loads of money with it then they just aren't doing it right - the money is there even if they're blind to it.

Edit: Especially with the franchises that Disney owns that can be made into games.

That's kind of the whole point. They'd rather make the free money licensing than having to actually do work and take risk.

LucasFilm/LucasArts thought it was quite well to make games in-house. Contracting out to the proverbial "India call center" I don't believe is the best way to ensure the best quality and therefore longevity of their brand. They should hire in-house, and build up a branch of their operation that rivals their film branches today.

4. Re: Disney Leaving Game Publishing May 10, 2016, 21:29 headkase

What?! Disney have just demonstrated that they are idiots. Entertainment software is a huge growth sector. If they think they can't make shit-loads of money with it then they just aren't doing it right - the money is there even if they're blind to it.

Edit: Especially with the franchises that Disney owns that can be made into games.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta
1. Re: Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta Apr 27, 2016, 17:44 headkase

Not that I would use them.. *ahem* But I somehow doubt that there will be "adult themed" mods on Bethesda's official portal.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2016, 10:30 headkase

Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Blue.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 21, 2016, 20:20 headkase

If they just let the damn robot punch the kids in the nose then the kids would leave it alone for good. Running to the adults isn't the proper solution.  

News Comments > CryENGINE V Goes Pay What You Want
7. Re: CryENGINE V Goes Pay What You Want Mar 16, 2016, 01:21 headkase

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 15, 2016, 23:33:
Cryengine was a horrible fucking choice of engines for Star Citizen. By the game ships (IF it does) it will take 100 gigs, and take 5 mins to load.

Man, you know, I'm not dissing you or anything but in my youth I remember loading a game called "Impossible Mission" on my Commodore 64 from tape. Start the load, go have supper, and by the time you finished supper it might be done loading. Seriously. Today a five minute load time would be atrocious, back then it was a fact of life.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Revision Released
2. Re: Deus Ex: Revision Released Oct 13, 2015, 20:56 headkase

PHJF wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 20:05:
Deus Ex is quite conveniently $1.40 right now. I'll give the mod a go.

I played it a bit earlier, it looks like a solid release. I do have Wasteland 2 Director's Cut however so that is where I am intending to spend the immediate future. Then Fallout 4.. But, it is nice to have the update and coinciding with a sale is also good form. The only bad form is that this mod isn't targeted at the GOG and retail disc versions.

News Comments > Bulletstorm Disappears from Steam
29. Re: Bulletstorm Disappears from Steam Mar 23, 2014, 04:06 headkase

Jerykk wrote on Mar 23, 2014, 03:25:
headkase wrote on Mar 23, 2014, 01:47:
No, I did not know that. I bought my copies off of GOG.com, they aren't available for purchase there either but they're still in my purchased games list. Eh, time for a torrent then.

Why would you need to torrent them when you already have them on GOG..?

I meant for the people who never bought them legally while they were available. Piracy is a supply and demand problem, if they were available legally I'd poo-poo on the pirates but if they aren't available at all then I say go get it from an unauthorized source.

27. Re: Bulletstorm Disappears from Steam Mar 23, 2014, 01:47 headkase

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 22:58:
headkase wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 16:47:
Task wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 16:33:
Just like when Fallout (originals) were removed from steam, some companies are just blowhards. fucking Bethesda...

Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout: Tactics are back on Steam. They were removed for a short period because the sale of all Interplay IP completed to Bethesda and Bethesda took them off while they redid the art and such to rebrand the games as their own and then they put them back on Steam.

The pages exist but you still can't buy them. I'm sure you already knew that, right?

No, I did not know that. I bought my copies off of GOG.com, they aren't available for purchase there either but they're still in my purchased games list. Eh, time for a torrent then.

10. Re: Bulletstorm Disappears from Steam Mar 22, 2014, 16:47 headkase

Task wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 16:33:
Just like when Fallout (originals) were removed from steam, some companies are just blowhards. fucking Bethesda...

Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout: Tactics are back on Steam. They were removed for a short period because the sale of all Interplay IP completed to Bethesda and Bethesda took them off while they redid the art and such to rebrand the games as their own and then they put them back on Steam.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Rambo The Video Game
5. TEH VIDEO GAME!!11!!1 Feb 21, 2014, 13:39 headkase

If something says "the video game" you know it was created by clueless twats. Also, it sounds heavily scripted by nature of making you encounter all the movie plot check-boxes.  

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Jun 13, 2013, 21:15 headkase

http://i.imgur.com/xXd1A0d.jpg

Every time you hear Microsoft "recommend" an Xbox 360 what you should really hear is "you should use a PS4." Of course Microsoft is going to recommend an old-gen product of their own rather than a next-gen which doesn't have the bullshit they do.

News Comments > Star Trek: The Video Game Footage
6. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Footage Apr 10, 2013, 21:11 headkase

"The Video Game." No shit, I thought it was an ice-cream cone prize. It seems they can't even come up with an original sub-title, I'll pass if that permeates through the "video game."  

News Comments > Minimum Announced
4. Re: Minimum Announced Apr 9, 2013, 23:33 headkase

For once I agree with Cutter, it's fugly.  

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Launch Trailer
15. Re: BioShock Infinite Launch Trailer Mar 25, 2013, 21:57 headkase

Dev wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 21:45:
More than likely, you can also sell the browser game pre-order code on ebay for another $5-$10 to people who want a complete thing, but don't want to pre-order.

You have to redeem the Industrial Revolution pre-order code on the Fink Manufacturing web-site however to get another code which you can then redeem in Steam for some pre-order items.

11. Re: BioShock Infinite Launch Trailer Mar 25, 2013, 21:19 headkase

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 21:12:
headkase wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 21:10:
SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 20:52:
What's the suggestion if you already own XCOM and previous Bioshock titles?

If you already own Bioshock 1 and XCOM:EU on Steam then you are able to gift them to another Steam account. If you don't own them, I didn't, they become part of your library without a choice offered. The Team Fortress 2 items I just ignored - no option to give for those, they're yours.

Well I meant what would be the best/cheapest option to get the game if I already own all the bonus stuff they give away for preordering

If that is the case, and you aren't interested in gifting to a friend, then watch out for sales. I thought I saw somewhere that it was on sale on Green Man Gaming but I can't be arsed to look..

9. Re: BioShock Infinite Launch Trailer Mar 25, 2013, 21:10 headkase

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 20:52:
What's the suggestion if you already own XCOM and previous Bioshock titles?

If you already own Bioshock 1 and XCOM:EU on Steam then you are able to gift them to another Steam account. If you don't own them, I didn't, they become part of your library without a choice offered. The Team Fortress 2 items I just ignored - no option to give for those, they're yours.

5. Re: BioShock Infinite Launch Trailer Mar 25, 2013, 20:47 headkase

ItBurn wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 19:35:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 25, 2013, 19:25:
Well, the trailer looks good and the reviews have been glowing. I'm stoked to play this.

Bioshock looked good and the reviews were impossibly amazing, but while it started strong, it quickly became boring and repetitive. I was at the end boss and couldn't be bothered to finish it. Getting a similar vibe from this one, but I'm slightly interested in it. Reviews seem to say that the mechanics suck, but that it contains genuinely unique experiences. Will wait for rebate.

Wait for rebate?! If you don't own XCOM: Enemy Unknown then buy it now, while it is still pre-order for a few more hours, and get that. That is $50 alone.

News Comments > Half-Life Update Causing Mod Issues?
8. Workflow Feb 18, 2013, 04:02 headkase

An improvement you say?

http://xkcd.com/1172/

There's an xkcd comic for every situation.

199 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo