Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bill Pickett

Real Name Bill Pickett   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname headkase
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 5, 2007, 06:49
Total Comments 199 (Novice)
User ID 41707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > New AMD Drivers
2. Re: New AMD Drivers May 24, 2018, 13:17 headkase

ForgedReality wrote on May 24, 2018, 09:41:
Are these the drivers that finally make AMD hardware competitive?

AMD is competitive. On performance per dollar. That matters to people who aren't leet fanboys.

See: https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html

We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > We Happy Few Refused Classification in AU
6. Re: We Happy Few Refused Classification in AU May 22, 2018, 13:35 headkase

Note to self: purchase We Happy Few when it is done.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 28, 2018, 13:02 headkase

Beamer wrote on Mar 28, 2018, 12:10:
headkase wrote on Mar 28, 2018, 11:47:
I was planning on getting the monthly subscription to Office 365 but am now just going to stay with LibreOffice. Until exactly what is what is understood I can't risk having my Microsoft Account closed - it is my only link to my Windows 10 activation and I'm not taking any chances with that.

I mean, common sense. If Microsoft bans accounts for saying "shit," no one will use the service and Microsoft dies. So it won't happen. What they're trying to prevent is someone putting something truly horrific in Office365 and sharing the link to people without them being able to shut it down. Like if that Nazi group, Afflewartzen or whatever, were to start putting things on Office365, Microsoft will want to kill it.

This gives them the power to.
May they exploit it and take down anyone saying "damn" in an email? Yeah, sure, but if you actually fear that will happen I'm more concerned about you than this TOS.

Here's my situation: I bought Windows 8 Pro, had my product key, took the free upgrade to Windows 10, stupidly thought I'd never need the product key again and threw it away after getting the 10 digital license associated with my Microsoft account. My Microsoft account is in good standing, my digital entitlement is fine, I can reinstall and have done so with no problems with that entitlement. There is no way Microsoft will give me my original product key back, I've tried to ask them, and if my Microsoft account is closed I lose my Windows 10 digital entitlement. Windows drives my 500+ games I've purchased over the last decade or so. So I'd have to buy a new license of Windows or switch to Linux and lose access to 70+% of my game library. Neither alternative is appealing. And I really was sitting on the fence about going for a Office monthly subscription. I didn't really need it but the 1TB OneDrive allotment that would come with it was enticing. Now, I'd have to worry that everything was perfectly legit there too so I'm not going to risk my investments.

Edit: With "perfectly legit" on OneDrive meaning "emulation where even if you wanted to you can't buy the old ROMs for dead systems" gray area.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 28, 2018, 11:47 headkase

I was planning on getting the monthly subscription to Office 365 but am now just going to stay with LibreOffice. Until exactly what is what is understood I can't risk having my Microsoft Account closed - it is my only link to my Windows 10 activation and I'm not taking any chances with that.  

News Comments > Tomb Raider Remasters Announced
3. Re: Tomb Raider Remasters Announced Mar 11, 2018, 16:45 headkase

Oh wow. I know they were awesome in their time but a modern look at the gameplay in both the given videos is just crap-tastic.  

6. Re: Have they fixed the installer? Mar 6, 2018, 13:12 headkase

Hanneth wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 13:01:
Most of the time the settings application fails to install.
Sometimes Windows 10 seg faults and reboots in the middle of installing the drivers.
I found a 50% success rate if I uninstalled the drivers, deleted the old drivers install directory, ran the AMD clean-up utility, then manually go into the registry and remove any AMD references.
Up until December's driver I could just download and run the installer.
Up until October I could use the built in update button.
I didn't try the February drivers, as I didn't want to fight with my system to get things working again.

The first thing to do when diagnosing graphics driver problems is to use DDU, Display Driver Uninstaller (no-cost for DDU):

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

Make sure you follow its instructions to be in safe-mode when doing the initial uninstall. There is a tutorial in the given site, if this is your first time using DDU then make sure to read that before you use the program.

After that, install your AMD drivers as usual and now that the system is known-clean you shouldn't have issues. For every upgrade after that use the AMD "clean install" option for best chances of success.

DDU is a reputable program and is linked often off of the Guru3D forums for AMD drivers:

https://forums.guru3d.com/forums/videocards-amd-radeon-catalyst-drivers-section.46/

If you still have problems after the above then I would suspect compatibility problems for your product and driver or product and other hardware in your system, or hardware failure problems of some sort.

If you have specific problems then posting on the Guru3D AMD driver sub-forum is the best way to get help. When it comes to AMD graphics drivers there aren't many places with the quality of help you'll get there.

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2018, 13:24.

3. Re: Have they fixed the installer? Mar 6, 2018, 11:28 headkase

Hanneth wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 11:24:
Seriously, doesn't AMD test their installers?
The Adrenaline installer is worse than whatever AMD did to the Radeon installer when they first bought out ATI. The last two times I've installed I was wondering if I had to sacrifice a live chicken to the AMD gods to get things to work.
Exactly what does it do for you? I always do a clean install with AMD's drivers and I *never* have problems.

News Comments > Trump Calls Out Video Games
1. Re: Trump Calls Out Video Games Feb 22, 2018, 19:22 headkase

There's nothing wrong with the current ESRB and PEGI rating systems. Not a thing. Most stores enforce them just fine as well. What is stupid is stupid parents letting their kids play M-rated equivalence titles because "they're only games." No freakin' clue what "M" means.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2018, 12:28 headkase

"and the kind of extreme cold we've been getting lately is known to cause batteries to die prematurely."

Canadian here. We have what are called "block heaters" on our cars up here in the Frozen North. You basically plug it in to an electrical outlet when the car is parked (and even apartment buildings here each parking stall has an electrical outlet specifically for block heaters) and it keeps the oil-pan warm. So the oil doesn't freeze and then you'll never get the car started. Yes, I live in a frozen wasteland.

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_heater

News Comments > Are "Let's Play" Streams Legal?
40. Re: Are Jan 29, 2018, 13:13 headkase

No one bit on what I posted previously.

In terms of fair use there is a property of "transformative".

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/fair-use-what-transformative.html

If the act of playing the game, and it is to be decided by an eventual trial, is "transformative" of the game then it may be fair use.

News Comments > Are "Let's Play" Streams Legal?
5. Re: Are Jan 29, 2018, 11:10 headkase

I would say that adding the act of playing the game is transformative. The game would just sit there doing nothing without the unique and never-same input from a player.  

News Comments > Black Mesa Delayed
9. Re: Black Mesa Delayed Nov 25, 2017, 21:56 headkase

I own Black Mesa on Steam. I bought it a sale or two back for cheap. I've been putting off playing it though - I bought it for the price at the time but always with the intent to not play until it was feature complete.

So, delayed or not I still have plenty else to play and I'd rather wait for something better than get something now that was rushed out the door.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Nov 19, 2017, 15:57 headkase

The SDL MouseMotion error affects at least Amnesia: The Dark Descent and ScummVM. It happens more in full screen than in windowed. When it happens your mouse will randomly warp to one of the corners of the screen, which mucks your look or movement up.

SDL is a popular low-level game development framework. It allows for easier porting between different operating systems for your application.

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2017, 20:51.

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
7. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 15, 2017, 22:19 headkase

Slick wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 21:06:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 20:37:
Slick wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 19:36:
Anyone notice any difference in Battlefront? It was already running pretty well, wondering if I can start cranking up the resolution to supersampling levels now.

I think (hope) no one else here but you was retarded enough to support that POS game with a purchase.

However, I checked the GeForce forums for issues with this driver and several folks reported decreased performance in SWBF2.

It also seems to have a general green screen flickering issue regardless of what game is played.

I'm going to stay on 387.92 until they fix the 388.xx branch issues.

Oh fuck off. I think there's a subreddit with 100,000 people of a like mind with you, you'd be happier posting there.

I like the game, it's really fun, and they've fixed just about everything that was wrong with SWBF 2015.

Fuck me for enjoying a game. If you want to go after the evil developers, then have at it, attacking players is just retarded.

Haters going to hate man, I know you won't lose any sleep over it.

https://xkcd.com/481/

News Comments > New AMD Drivers (Sort Of)
9. Re: New AMD Drivers (Sort Of) Nov 15, 2017, 19:46 headkase

WaltC wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 10:37:
Sheeesh...OK, let's try one more time. The only thing I have said about driver signing is that *all AMD drivers*--beta and whql--are signed drivers. That's it. The argument about driver signing is yours, and only yours...;) The original Post here by Blue stated that only whql drivers supported secure boot--which is in error. All of AMD's drivers support it, beta and whql.

You may very well be right, AMD drivers, non-WHQL ones, may actually be signed in some way. Blue didn't make the mistake though: I'm Bill for the thanks and when I sent in the news *I'm* the one who went on about Secure Boot.

7. Re: New AMD Drivers (Sort Of) Nov 14, 2017, 18:37 headkase

WaltC wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 16:44:
headkase wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 01:03:
WaltC wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 21:17:
All of the Crimson drivers install fine with Secure boot on...;) IE, AMD WHQL drivers are not required for secure-boot support. (Where did that come from?...;))
Secure boot is a UEFI feature that goes from cold start to full desktop loaded with a cryptographic chain of signatures from start to end. If a signature fails then the file is not what was signed off by the provider and boot stops. If you're a BIOS system (or have CSM enabled in a UEFI firmware), 32-bit Windows, or have Secure Boot disabled in your firmware THEN you can use non-signed drivers. I believe versions of Windows prior to Windows 10 weren't as strict with Secure Boot. With Windows 10 the three conditions do apply.

The signatures are not limited to Microsoft. Any operating system can have their keys in the firmware to do a Secure Boot. Most mainboards just come with Microsoft keys already in the firmware though, and some mainboards will not let you both change the root signature OR boot without Secure Boot. Those systems, and they do exist, are limited to booting a Microsoft key.

I build my own systems and have for the last 22 years. I Know what secure boot is...;) Have never had an AMD driver refuse to boot into secure boot--AMD beta drivers are not unsigned--I would have thought everyone would know by now...;) I'm using Win10x64 version 1709, build 1705--have been in the Insider's beta-test program since 10/2015--only time I have seen AMD drivers fail to support secure boot in all of that time were when Microsoft changed the security *signature* paradigm in a beta build and AMD simply hadn't caught up, yet--still writing for the official releases of Win10. Last time that happened was many months back, and it was temporary with only a couple of beta builds of Win10. I never boot into a secure-boot off state.

Implication in the original post was that AMD beta drivers were unsigned and wouldn't work with secure boot ON, which isn't the case, and I simply wanted to correct that misapprehension...;) Both the betas and the whqls are fully signed and have no problem supporting secure boot--unless Microsoft changes the SHA requirements suddenly--as happened for a couple of the Win10 beta builds. If you weren't in the IP program you'd never have seen a secure-boot failure even once--the drivers were signed--just not properly for the changes Microsoft put into the betas at the time.

Driver signing in Windows 10.

"Beginning with the release of Windows 10, all new Windows 10 kernel mode drivers must be submitted to and digitally signed by the Windows Hardware Developer Center Dashboard portal. Windows 10 will not load new kernel mode drivers which are not signed by the portal."

Driver signing is a fact in Windows 10. Fact. How signatures are implemented I'll have to give you the benefit of the doubt.

2. Re: New AMD Drivers (Sort Of) Nov 14, 2017, 01:03 headkase

WaltC wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 21:17:
All of the Crimson drivers install fine with Secure boot on...;) IE, AMD WHQL drivers are not required for secure-boot support. (Where did that come from?...;))
Secure boot is a UEFI feature that goes from cold start to full desktop loaded with a cryptographic chain of signatures from start to end. If a signature fails then the file is not what was signed off by the provider and boot stops. If you're a BIOS system (or have CSM enabled in a UEFI firmware), 32-bit Windows, or have Secure Boot disabled in your firmware THEN you can use non-signed drivers. I believe versions of Windows prior to Windows 10 weren't as strict with Secure Boot. With Windows 10 the three conditions do apply.

The signatures are not limited to Microsoft. Any operating system can have their keys in the firmware to do a Secure Boot. Most mainboards just come with Microsoft keys already in the firmware though, and some mainboards will not let you both change the root signature OR boot without Secure Boot. Those systems, and they do exist, are limited to booting a Microsoft key.

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 2017, 01:14.

7. Re: New AMD Drivers Oct 29, 2017, 19:43 headkase

KilrathiAce wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 19:03:
headkase wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 18:31:
KilrathiAce wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 05:36:
Latest drivers broke certain things on fury x, such as if you minimize and maximize games ran in fullscreen dedicated mode(not windowed) there is input pause that will occur every time min or max the game. This issue did not occur in previous drivers. GG AMD. I know you dont care about ur previous products, but considering vega is utter trash considering the price, this is end of the line for a customer such as me who had used ur gpus for almost 10 years now.

Poop happens. Don't think that nVidia is automatically better than AMD. Over the years they've had their issues crop up here and there too. Like yourself I've been AMD for over a decade now. When it does come time for my next GPU however nVidia will get serious consideration. Not related to team aspects though, related to price vs. performance. nVidia cards offer more performance, run cooler, and use less power than AMD cards do generally. I'm completely price-conscious however, that has to be right for my next GPU choice.

No, both nvidia and amd had issues with drivers, however currently amd failed with vega, i mean look at the prices and its performance...
I hear you. Price is the only thing that's kept me on AMD so far, next GPU could very well be an nVidia one for all the above reasons.

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2017, 06:11.

5. Re: New AMD Drivers Oct 29, 2017, 18:31 headkase

KilrathiAce wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 05:36:
Latest drivers broke certain things on fury x, such as if you minimize and maximize games ran in fullscreen dedicated mode(not windowed) there is input pause that will occur every time min or max the game. This issue did not occur in previous drivers. GG AMD. I know you dont care about ur previous products, but considering vega is utter trash considering the price, this is end of the line for a customer such as me who had used ur gpus for almost 10 years now.

Poop happens. Don't think that nVidia is automatically better than AMD. Over the years they've had their issues crop up here and there too. Like yourself I've been AMD for over a decade now. When it does come time for my next GPU however nVidia will get serious consideration. Not related to team aspects though, related to price vs. performance. nVidia cards offer more performance, run cooler, and use less power than AMD cards do generally. I'm completely price-conscious however, that has to be right for my next GPU choice.

3. Re: New AMD Drivers Oct 28, 2017, 21:21 headkase

Fantaz wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 20:09:
AMD sux!! (but i'm bias cuz i work for nvidia :))

I stopped cheering for a team long ago, now I just go with what's good enough. My AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB may not have the best specifications but for all the games I play it plays them fine. And I didn't have to mortgage the house to pay for a top-tier card. That's silly and just fanboi-ism.

199 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo