Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bill Pickett

Real Name Bill Pickett   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname headkase
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 5, 2007, 06:49
Total Comments 186 (Novice)
User ID 41707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > New NVIDIA Drivers
7. Re: New NVIDIA Drivers Nov 15, 2017, 22:19 headkase

Slick wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 21:06:
CJ_Parker wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 20:37:
Slick wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 19:36:
Anyone notice any difference in Battlefront? It was already running pretty well, wondering if I can start cranking up the resolution to supersampling levels now.

I think (hope) no one else here but you was retarded enough to support that POS game with a purchase.

However, I checked the GeForce forums for issues with this driver and several folks reported decreased performance in SWBF2.

It also seems to have a general green screen flickering issue regardless of what game is played.

I'm going to stay on 387.92 until they fix the 388.xx branch issues.

Oh fuck off. I think there's a subreddit with 100,000 people of a like mind with you, you'd be happier posting there.

I like the game, it's really fun, and they've fixed just about everything that was wrong with SWBF 2015.

Fuck me for enjoying a game. If you want to go after the evil developers, then have at it, attacking players is just retarded.

Haters going to hate man, I know you won't lose any sleep over it.

https://xkcd.com/481/

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New AMD Drivers (Sort Of)
9. Re: New AMD Drivers (Sort Of) Nov 15, 2017, 19:46 headkase

WaltC wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 10:37:
Sheeesh...OK, let's try one more time. The only thing I have said about driver signing is that *all AMD drivers*--beta and whql--are signed drivers. That's it. The argument about driver signing is yours, and only yours...;) The original Post here by Blue stated that only whql drivers supported secure boot--which is in error. All of AMD's drivers support it, beta and whql.

You may very well be right, AMD drivers, non-WHQL ones, may actually be signed in some way. Blue didn't make the mistake though: I'm Bill for the thanks and when I sent in the news *I'm* the one who went on about Secure Boot.

7. Re: New AMD Drivers (Sort Of) Nov 14, 2017, 18:37 headkase

WaltC wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 16:44:
headkase wrote on Nov 14, 2017, 01:03:
WaltC wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 21:17:
All of the Crimson drivers install fine with Secure boot on...;) IE, AMD WHQL drivers are not required for secure-boot support. (Where did that come from?...;))
Secure boot is a UEFI feature that goes from cold start to full desktop loaded with a cryptographic chain of signatures from start to end. If a signature fails then the file is not what was signed off by the provider and boot stops. If you're a BIOS system (or have CSM enabled in a UEFI firmware), 32-bit Windows, or have Secure Boot disabled in your firmware THEN you can use non-signed drivers. I believe versions of Windows prior to Windows 10 weren't as strict with Secure Boot. With Windows 10 the three conditions do apply.

The signatures are not limited to Microsoft. Any operating system can have their keys in the firmware to do a Secure Boot. Most mainboards just come with Microsoft keys already in the firmware though, and some mainboards will not let you both change the root signature OR boot without Secure Boot. Those systems, and they do exist, are limited to booting a Microsoft key.

I build my own systems and have for the last 22 years. I Know what secure boot is...;) Have never had an AMD driver refuse to boot into secure boot--AMD beta drivers are not unsigned--I would have thought everyone would know by now...;) I'm using Win10x64 version 1709, build 1705--have been in the Insider's beta-test program since 10/2015--only time I have seen AMD drivers fail to support secure boot in all of that time were when Microsoft changed the security *signature* paradigm in a beta build and AMD simply hadn't caught up, yet--still writing for the official releases of Win10. Last time that happened was many months back, and it was temporary with only a couple of beta builds of Win10. I never boot into a secure-boot off state.

Implication in the original post was that AMD beta drivers were unsigned and wouldn't work with secure boot ON, which isn't the case, and I simply wanted to correct that misapprehension...;) Both the betas and the whqls are fully signed and have no problem supporting secure boot--unless Microsoft changes the SHA requirements suddenly--as happened for a couple of the Win10 beta builds. If you weren't in the IP program you'd never have seen a secure-boot failure even once--the drivers were signed--just not properly for the changes Microsoft put into the betas at the time.

Driver signing in Windows 10.

"Beginning with the release of Windows 10, all new Windows 10 kernel mode drivers must be submitted to and digitally signed by the Windows Hardware Developer Center Dashboard portal. Windows 10 will not load new kernel mode drivers which are not signed by the portal."

Driver signing is a fact in Windows 10. Fact. How signatures are implemented I'll have to give you the benefit of the doubt.

2. Re: New AMD Drivers (Sort Of) Nov 14, 2017, 01:03 headkase

WaltC wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 21:17:
All of the Crimson drivers install fine with Secure boot on...;) IE, AMD WHQL drivers are not required for secure-boot support. (Where did that come from?...;))
Secure boot is a UEFI feature that goes from cold start to full desktop loaded with a cryptographic chain of signatures from start to end. If a signature fails then the file is not what was signed off by the provider and boot stops. If you're a BIOS system (or have CSM enabled in a UEFI firmware), 32-bit Windows, or have Secure Boot disabled in your firmware THEN you can use non-signed drivers. I believe versions of Windows prior to Windows 10 weren't as strict with Secure Boot. With Windows 10 the three conditions do apply.

The signatures are not limited to Microsoft. Any operating system can have their keys in the firmware to do a Secure Boot. Most mainboards just come with Microsoft keys already in the firmware though, and some mainboards will not let you both change the root signature OR boot without Secure Boot. Those systems, and they do exist, are limited to booting a Microsoft key.

This comment was edited on Nov 14, 2017, 01:14.

News Comments > New AMD Drivers
7. Re: New AMD Drivers Oct 29, 2017, 19:43 headkase

KilrathiAce wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 19:03:
headkase wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 18:31:
KilrathiAce wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 05:36:
Latest drivers broke certain things on fury x, such as if you minimize and maximize games ran in fullscreen dedicated mode(not windowed) there is input pause that will occur every time min or max the game. This issue did not occur in previous drivers. GG AMD. I know you dont care about ur previous products, but considering vega is utter trash considering the price, this is end of the line for a customer such as me who had used ur gpus for almost 10 years now.

Poop happens. Don't think that nVidia is automatically better than AMD. Over the years they've had their issues crop up here and there too. Like yourself I've been AMD for over a decade now. When it does come time for my next GPU however nVidia will get serious consideration. Not related to team aspects though, related to price vs. performance. nVidia cards offer more performance, run cooler, and use less power than AMD cards do generally. I'm completely price-conscious however, that has to be right for my next GPU choice.

No, both nvidia and amd had issues with drivers, however currently amd failed with vega, i mean look at the prices and its performance...
I hear you. Price is the only thing that's kept me on AMD so far, next GPU could very well be an nVidia one for all the above reasons.

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2017, 06:11.

5. Re: New AMD Drivers Oct 29, 2017, 18:31 headkase

KilrathiAce wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 05:36:
Latest drivers broke certain things on fury x, such as if you minimize and maximize games ran in fullscreen dedicated mode(not windowed) there is input pause that will occur every time min or max the game. This issue did not occur in previous drivers. GG AMD. I know you dont care about ur previous products, but considering vega is utter trash considering the price, this is end of the line for a customer such as me who had used ur gpus for almost 10 years now.

Poop happens. Don't think that nVidia is automatically better than AMD. Over the years they've had their issues crop up here and there too. Like yourself I've been AMD for over a decade now. When it does come time for my next GPU however nVidia will get serious consideration. Not related to team aspects though, related to price vs. performance. nVidia cards offer more performance, run cooler, and use less power than AMD cards do generally. I'm completely price-conscious however, that has to be right for my next GPU choice.

3. Re: New AMD Drivers Oct 28, 2017, 21:21 headkase

Fantaz wrote on Oct 28, 2017, 20:09:
AMD sux!! (but i'm bias cuz i work for nvidia :))

I stopped cheering for a team long ago, now I just go with what's good enough. My AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB may not have the best specifications but for all the games I play it plays them fine. And I didn't have to mortgage the house to pay for a top-tier card. That's silly and just fanboi-ism.

News Comments > GOG.com Halloween Sale
6. Re: GOG.com Halloween Sale Oct 26, 2017, 20:30 headkase

Acleacius wrote on Oct 26, 2017, 19:41:
Gtk, thanks headkase and RedEye9 ! Lighter

Right on, you're welcome.

News Comments > GOG.com Halloween Sale
3. Re: GOG.com Halloween Sale Oct 26, 2017, 17:49 headkase

Acleacius wrote on Oct 26, 2017, 16:29:
Oh, GOG was trying to beat Steam to the punch again, since they are both starting on the same day. I still haven't signed up for Connect, since I'm not really comfortable giving GOG permanent access to my Steam account.

For Connect you make your Steam profile public - what games you have - and then GOG just matches from there. GOG has no access whatsoever except for your public profile should you choose.

News Comments > Civilization III Free on Humble Store
2. Re: Civilization III Free on Humble Store Oct 19, 2017, 22:51 headkase

Civ 3 is still a good game today. There is a tweak to make it run at your desktop resolution as well: Here.

At modern resolutions it even looks better than it ever did when it was new.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 15, 2017, 19:04 headkase

I actually bought WinRAR. Really. It seems no one else does. Made the purchase about two or three years ago now. 7-zip is better but sometimes there is a rare RAR archive that does actually require WinRAR to handle.  

News Comments > New AMD and NVIDIA Drivers
1. Re: New AMD and NVIDIA Drivers Aug 14, 2017, 19:43 headkase

The new AMD drivers are ONLY if you have a Vega. Other than that the latest Crimson driver is still 17.7.2.

And here's the new driver if you have a Vega:

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/amd-radeon-vega-17-8-1-beta-6-driver-download.html

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto OpenIV Returns
10. Re: Grand Theft Auto OpenIV Returns Jun 24, 2017, 20:25 headkase

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 24, 2017, 16:06:
I don't disagree that we have no rights to software, but that has nothing to do with digital. There was always a licensing agreement, always the mile-long terms of use that nobody ever read... They just didn't have the technological ability to enforce it like they do now. Getting away with stuff they couldn't stop you from doing is not the same as having the right to do that stuff.

There is push-back on-going as well. GOG.com being the leader. For my purchasing power if a game is available on both GOG and Steam I will prefer the GOG version if reasonably priced. Then I add the game as a non-Steam shortcut and launch it from Steam anyway and am still able to use my Steam Controller (which depends on the Steam Overlay to work) in the games.

News Comments > Black Mesa Delays Xen Again
16. Re: Black Mesa Delays Xen Again Jun 20, 2017, 20:09 headkase

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 20, 2017, 17:15:
They are putting in quality time to make sure it's good. You know.... like Valve should have done.

I don't know what planet you're living on but when Half Life was new it was a revolutionary game. It actually had an in-game plot, not just a page if any in a printed manual, and the AI of the enemies actually still holds up today, unlike all the simply-stupid AI of other games of the time. As a matter of fact, just before Half Life the trend in the gaming industry was going multi-player. Everyone thought that was the future because all the single player experiences of the time were drab. Half Life changed all that, it singlehandedly brought single player games back into focus. Half Life was a bunch of firsts, and they pulled them off pretty well perfect. Enough to turn the entire industry around anyway.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto Reviews Crash; GTA Online Cheat Killed
25. Re: Grand Theft Auto Reviews Crash; GTA Online Cheat Killed Jun 19, 2017, 01:05 headkase

Rockstar should hire them, have them integrate their modification code into GTA5 and 4, and push out updated games with it then built-in.

That is about the only PR save they could really pull off going forward.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Visual Update
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 4, 2017, 18:57 headkase

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 4, 2017, 18:48:
Their bundles are retarded. There isn't a single one without the 9.99 soundtrack. Fine then. I'll just keep waiting until the base game and all DLC (sans the soundtrack which I don't give a flying fuck about) goes on sale for less than 10. They can rip off other people in the meantime. Assholes.

Entitled much? Over bloody pennies? Man, I wouldn't want you as a customer. If you're going to bitch about less than a Euro then you'll damn well be bitching over anything else less than perfection. And even that too. No, better you buy something else with your measly Euro and poison a different community with your vitriol.

Edit: missed the "9" I thought it was 0.99 Euros.

News Comments > Gigantic Open Beta
1. Re: Gigantic Open Beta Dec 9, 2016, 03:02 headkase

"Valued at over $150,"

I always stop reading when I first encounter weasel-words..

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Sep 10, 2016, 14:14 headkase

I run Windows (without snide remarks) because I play my games on it. I'm no stranger to Linux however and if it ever comes to the day that I can't download and install a program without Microsoft's consent then that is the day I nuke my Windows install and go full FOSS.

I'm not being a penguinista either, both operating systems are fine. The point I'm contesting is that *I* want to be in full control of the software that is allowed on my own machine. Windows 10 is already going away from that, preinstalled Apps and such that they're "promoting," but Windows isn't far enough away from the ideal yet to really piss me off.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Sep 10, 2016, 12:57 headkase

Removing an application, any application, from the Windows Store just shows how Microsoft is going the Apple "walled-garden" approach. If Sweeney is right and Microsoft shepherds everyone towards the Windows Store over the next few years and at the same time gradually phases out Win32 freedoms then we'll be left with only "Microsoft Approved" software allowed on our own damn personal machines.  

News Comments > New AMD Crimson Drivers
4. Re: New AMD Crimson Drivers Jul 12, 2016, 12:22 headkase

El Pit wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 12:14:
Simon Says wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 11:54:
AMD is great *waaaaaah*

Dude, almost every website writes that the RX480 is about on par with the 970 (NOT THE 1070!). But I know that in your eyes those are all paid nVidia shills, so I won't even bother to try and argue with you. Live in your own little AMD world and enjoy it!

I don't care about numbers. All I care about is if my games run well enough that I don't think about the graphics card. And my R9 380 4GB runs well enough that I don't think about the graphics card.

186 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo