Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bill Pickett

Real Name Bill Pickett   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname headkase
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 5, 2007, 06:49
Total Comments 169 (Novice)
User ID 41707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Sep 10, 2016, 14:14 headkase

I run Windows (without snide remarks) because I play my games on it. I'm no stranger to Linux however and if it ever comes to the day that I can't download and install a program without Microsoft's consent then that is the day I nuke my Windows install and go full FOSS.

I'm not being a penguinista either, both operating systems are fine. The point I'm contesting is that *I* want to be in full control of the software that is allowed on my own machine. Windows 10 is already going away from that, preinstalled Apps and such that they're "promoting," but Windows isn't far enough away from the ideal yet to really piss me off.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Sep 10, 2016, 12:57 headkase

Removing an application, any application, from the Windows Store just shows how Microsoft is going the Apple "walled-garden" approach. If Sweeney is right and Microsoft shepherds everyone towards the Windows Store over the next few years and at the same time gradually phases out Win32 freedoms then we'll be left with only "Microsoft Approved" software allowed on our own damn personal machines.  

News Comments > New AMD Crimson Drivers
4. Re: New AMD Crimson Drivers Jul 12, 2016, 12:22 headkase

El Pit wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 12:14:
Simon Says wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 11:54:
AMD is great *waaaaaah*

Dude, almost every website writes that the RX480 is about on par with the 970 (NOT THE 1070!). But I know that in your eyes those are all paid nVidia shills, so I won't even bother to try and argue with you. Live in your own little AMD world and enjoy it!

I don't care about numbers. All I care about is if my games run well enough that I don't think about the graphics card. And my R9 380 4GB runs well enough that I don't think about the graphics card.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 14, 2016, 23:39 headkase

Beamer wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 23:22:
headkase wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 22:55:
yonder wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 22:46:
Wow. That ad block "article" was a Strawman-filled steaming pile of crap.

Advertisers already know more about you than you do. Concrete examples, data mining can determine a woman is pregnant or someone has cancer *before* they know. Personal privacy should not be sacrificed for every random web page you visit or search you make.

You're confusing things here. That was Target, figuring out a girl was pregnant before her father did, and that was due to what she purchased in store, not due to browsing history. And if a website could determine you had cancer before you did, via cookies, it'd win a Nobel Prize and be the most valuable company on the planet.

For the cancer part, see: Here.

That research was done by Microsoft using Bing data. Sounds good right? Well, an insurance company would never use that information to jack up your rates - right? You should be in control of information about you, not have it warehoused and mined by for profit advertisers. And yes that is search data, but just visiting a site that leaves a tracking cookie is an equivalent signal to data mining.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 14, 2016, 22:55 headkase

yonder wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 22:46:
Wow. That ad block "article" was a Strawman-filled steaming pile of crap.

Advertisers already know more about you than you do. Concrete examples, data mining can determine a woman is pregnant or someone has cancer *before* they know. Personal privacy should not be sacrificed for every random web page you visit or search you make.

News Comments > DOOM Balance Patch
2. Re: DOOM Balance Patch Jun 10, 2016, 21:43 headkase

Well I hope they nerf the shotgun and buff the rocket launcher.  

News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution Released
14. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Released May 18, 2016, 08:48 headkase

I bought the game. Played about an hour so far, it's not bad at all. The way you progress through the game is very similar to Far Cry 4. There are lots of things to do on each map. The biggest thing though is that you are very easily killed. The game does not reward you for taking the enemy on face first.

Replace North Korea with China and the premise of the game becomes more plausible - although in reality I'm sure that the USA is not stupid enough to become dependent on any nation or technology for their existence. But, whatever, it's a game. The shooting is solid and that's what matters.

News Comments > DOOM Released
82. Re: DOOM Released May 13, 2016, 19:48 headkase

And DOOM kicks ass, I think it sets the new bar for what a shooter should be.  

News Comments > DOOM Released
81. Re: DOOM Released May 13, 2016, 19:45 headkase

Reading comments in the vein of "should not buy from resellers so that the dev gets good money." I bought from Green Man Gaming, a pre-order, with a 25% off coupon. I paid CDN$20 or so less than if I had bought it directly off Steam. Here's the thing: I would have bought it off Steam if I could. I only have a VISA Debit card, no real credit card and getting one of those is not possible, and for some stupid reason Steam does not accept VISA Debit cards. GoG does, GMG does, lots of places do - just not Steam. So, literally, Valve will not take my money so I have to buy on GMG and redeem the product key on Steam. And GMG does not have nearly the selection Steam does so not being able to buy directly, the full catalog, from Steam still does piss me off.

Edit: And Origin and UPlay also accept my VISA Debit card.

News Comments > DOOM Trailers
4. Re: DOOM Trailers May 11, 2016, 22:06 headkase

nin wrote on May 11, 2016, 21:43:
snapmaaaaaap-nanananananana!

Snap maps are one of the biggest things I'm looking forward to. Lego for level creation. I'm sure the single and multi player will be fun too. I purchased on Green Man Gaming and saved $20 with a coupon, not too shabby at all.

News Comments > Disney Leaving Game Publishing
9. Re: Disney Leaving Game Publishing May 10, 2016, 23:06 headkase

nin wrote on May 10, 2016, 22:56:
I would be shocked if they rebuilt lucasarts, that time is long passed. As seph says, they'd much prefer to let someone else assume the risk and heavy lifting, and reap the benefits.

But they can already do that! Publishers. Development studios typically don't have the cash on hand for a 3 year cycle so they partner with a publisher, get cash up front, and deliver to the publisher and they take a cut for financing the work. Really though Disney has so much cash that they shouldn't bother with a publisher. And contracting it out means they are the publisher. The two roles are equivalent in Disney's case. They can either be the publisher who pays a studio up front for development or they can just develop themselves and get the same since they don't have a cash crunch.

6. Re: Disney Leaving Game Publishing May 10, 2016, 22:50 headkase

Sepharo wrote on May 10, 2016, 21:35:
headkase wrote on May 10, 2016, 21:29:
What?! Disney have just demonstrated that they are idiots. Entertainment software is a huge growth sector. If they think they can't make shit-loads of money with it then they just aren't doing it right - the money is there even if they're blind to it.

Edit: Especially with the franchises that Disney owns that can be made into games.

That's kind of the whole point. They'd rather make the free money licensing than having to actually do work and take risk.

LucasFilm/LucasArts thought it was quite well to make games in-house. Contracting out to the proverbial "India call center" I don't believe is the best way to ensure the best quality and therefore longevity of their brand. They should hire in-house, and build up a branch of their operation that rivals their film branches today.

4. Re: Disney Leaving Game Publishing May 10, 2016, 21:29 headkase

What?! Disney have just demonstrated that they are idiots. Entertainment software is a huge growth sector. If they think they can't make shit-loads of money with it then they just aren't doing it right - the money is there even if they're blind to it.

Edit: Especially with the franchises that Disney owns that can be made into games.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta
1. Re: Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta Apr 27, 2016, 17:44 headkase

Not that I would use them.. *ahem* But I somehow doubt that there will be "adult themed" mods on Bethesda's official portal.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2016, 10:30 headkase

Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Blue.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 21, 2016, 20:20 headkase

If they just let the damn robot punch the kids in the nose then the kids would leave it alone for good. Running to the adults isn't the proper solution.  

News Comments > CryENGINE V Goes Pay What You Want
7. Re: CryENGINE V Goes Pay What You Want Mar 16, 2016, 01:21 headkase

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 15, 2016, 23:33:
Cryengine was a horrible fucking choice of engines for Star Citizen. By the game ships (IF it does) it will take 100 gigs, and take 5 mins to load.

Man, you know, I'm not dissing you or anything but in my youth I remember loading a game called "Impossible Mission" on my Commodore 64 from tape. Start the load, go have supper, and by the time you finished supper it might be done loading. Seriously. Today a five minute load time would be atrocious, back then it was a fact of life.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Revision Released
2. Re: Deus Ex: Revision Released Oct 13, 2015, 20:56 headkase

PHJF wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 20:05:
Deus Ex is quite conveniently $1.40 right now. I'll give the mod a go.

I played it a bit earlier, it looks like a solid release. I do have Wasteland 2 Director's Cut however so that is where I am intending to spend the immediate future. Then Fallout 4.. But, it is nice to have the update and coinciding with a sale is also good form. The only bad form is that this mod isn't targeted at the GOG and retail disc versions.

News Comments > Bulletstorm Disappears from Steam
29. Re: Bulletstorm Disappears from Steam Mar 23, 2014, 04:06 headkase

Jerykk wrote on Mar 23, 2014, 03:25:
headkase wrote on Mar 23, 2014, 01:47:
No, I did not know that. I bought my copies off of GOG.com, they aren't available for purchase there either but they're still in my purchased games list. Eh, time for a torrent then.

Why would you need to torrent them when you already have them on GOG..?

I meant for the people who never bought them legally while they were available. Piracy is a supply and demand problem, if they were available legally I'd poo-poo on the pirates but if they aren't available at all then I say go get it from an unauthorized source.

News Comments > Bulletstorm Disappears from Steam
27. Re: Bulletstorm Disappears from Steam Mar 23, 2014, 01:47 headkase

Mad Max RW wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 22:58:
headkase wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 16:47:
Task wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 16:33:
Just like when Fallout (originals) were removed from steam, some companies are just blowhards. fucking Bethesda...

Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout: Tactics are back on Steam. They were removed for a short period because the sale of all Interplay IP completed to Bethesda and Bethesda took them off while they redid the art and such to rebrand the games as their own and then they put them back on Steam.

The pages exist but you still can't buy them. I'm sure you already knew that, right?

No, I did not know that. I bought my copies off of GOG.com, they aren't available for purchase there either but they're still in my purchased games list. Eh, time for a torrent then.

169 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo